Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 windows and linux. - Minitokyo

windows and linux.

page 1 of 1 24 total items

DakX

DakX

Inactivity strikes again

Ok i am more and more getting to know pc and that sort a stuff so i wanted to try and diffrent OS. Is it possible to run linux and windows 98 on the same pc. I have hear that it is possible. I would like your opinions about it and how to do it.

Please excuse but my english isn't very wel but I am still learning.

Wouldn't it just be totally unnescessary to run two OS on a single computer? Well, I don't know how to make it work but I think it is not worth the effort.

DakX

DakX

Inactivity strikes again

I just wanna try some thing i learnd. And i have alway's wanted to try it. And since i don't have a second pc yet i wil have to try it with 2 OS on one pc.

You must have 2particions or 2 disks, and install win 98 first and then install the linux, is possible. :)

DakX

DakX

Inactivity strikes again

How do i get 2 particions? I already got 98 installed. And will i still be able to get to the files i got on the 98 partion?

You can try out Knoppix, a Live CD Linux distro. Then you can try linux without worrying about hard disks or partitions for now.

http://www.knoppix.org/

suzuki

Shut up the fuck you must!

You said you learned more about your computer and don't know how to make partitions?
You should learn some more and then try linux.
BTW. do you know program languages if you don't you shouldn't bother with linux becouse it isn't as nice as certain people say.

Ritalin

Ritalin

Rawrz.

The better way is to get another hard drive and install linux on it.

http://www.aboutdebian.com/dualboot.htm <-- Should explain everything for you.

:)

Caffeinated Dreams
outrageously caffeinated weblog.

IRC--express--Twilight Whispers-

suse linux is great

Sheesh. I count one...two... okay, three informative replies :sweat: The way I've done partitioning in the past is with QTParted from a Mepis live CD. It gives you a relatively friendly graphical interface.

Get Mepis. A torrent is also available from here (download the 3.3.1 iso torrent). It's a live CD distro like Knoppix, meaning you can run Linux from the CD to try it out.

Burn the iso to a CD (R or RW are both fine). (note, you have to burn it as a disk image, not as a regular data disk. Your burning software should have the option somewhere; something like "burn global image")

When the CD's done, put it in your CD drive and reboot...

The rest of the instructions can be found here. It links to some partitioning instructions, which link to yet another set of instructions with screenshots :) In any case, once you save your partition changes, you don't have to continue with the Mepis install if you don't want to ;)

Keik

TarballIUTzone

Quote by suzukiYou said you learned more about your computer and don't know how to make partitions?
btw. do you know program languanges if you don't you shouldn't bother with linux because it isn't as nice as certain people say.

Linux is not thad strange and , dont mind if you have no problem if you know no Programm languange ;)

For Beginners

You should try , Suse liunx, Red hat linux or Fedora Core they are easy to handle , because the do the most things automatically.(this is good to start with things)
I think Suse is the best for beginners ;)
If youre interestet in a new Os an Choose linux , it would be a nice Treasure chest for you.
Time after time you learn more about it ;)
If you want to play under Linux be sure to have a Nvidi Card , the ati 3d support rechaes the stink !

Suse makes the Partitions Automatically with Yast when you install it ;)

Mephis Linux is intresting too but i dont know much about that distribution, is it good for beginners ?

@ Harakiri i have 2 Os here in this pc and its nessecary i use linux for all , and windows to play games.

but back to my post,
You must have free space on youre HDD other wise you cant make another Partition, if you have already formated the whole Hard Disk Drive in Fat 32 , or NTFS ( Win ) You cant install a second OS or make another Partition for youre Win system.

Try Linux it should take some time to learn but its the Mighty better Os!!!
A linux system dos what you want and not what itself want :P

Whatever i think Gentoo linux is the best distribution, but thats nothing for beginners because you must know youre system for this.

Another secure Distribution is Debian ;)

You Can also Try these Live disks like Gnoppix, Linux live , Unbuntu live , Knoppix , Morphix
to see how linux is, but its even better to install it on a harddrive , you cane do more then and youre settings will be stored ;)

Ok im writing a lot but
I LOVE linux :)

Linux will never be Windows and nobody wants that ;)
You can get a lot of free programms for Linux e.g. Mplayer
This players play All Movies and i mean all :P

something ,
Linux is a Os that cant be learnd to understand in a Day, but
Its total controll and you are Free ;)
Think of it
Try it
and Get it !!!

xd xd xd

If my spelling is wrong dont mind ^_^

Quote by KeikMephis Linux is intresting too but i dont know much about that
distribution, is it good for beginners ?

Hard to say, I think I've lost by beginner's perspective ^_^' It's not too bad though, afaict. Mepis is based on Debian. Ubuntu is a smidge better, I think (and it's arguably easier to find help for since there's a bigger community around it), but QTParted is less threatening than Ubuntu's text-based install ;)

frankylui

Black Mage of Hell

i heard that Linux is better
but windows is more popular

Signature

Keik

TarballIUTzone

Quote: Hard to say, I think I've lost by beginner's perspective ^_^' It's not too bad though, afaict. Mepis is based on Debian. Ubuntu is a smidge better, I think (and it's arguably easier to find help for since there's a bigger community around it), but QTParted is less threatening than Ubuntu's text-based install ;)

I dont think the install of Unbuntu is too strange , but you know a beginner dont know that he can press F1 for help :p
i like unbuntu too :)

btw. I really like Fdisk after all to make Partitions, have you ever tryed Gparted ?
Oh i fail the Topic ^_^ XD

Windows is more Popular is more popular, windows erarns more money for the Marked ;)
There are many Windows Programms out that was already out on Linux, the best part of it is that Microsoft stole Ideas from programms, licensd it under there Name and selld it.
But it was not enough they are Goin on to make a process on a Court against the original programm.
Thats why i dont buy any Microsoft Product in the Future the can Kiss my ***.

i have win Xp too while it was with my Pc about 3 Years, but i dont like it.
Windows is good to play games, and there also many programms for windows.
Windows is Easy to Handle , you click pictures and that is calling using a Pc.
"Easy for the users" but uneasy for me.
No one knows how Windows work right ? because you cant change anything in the system.
Linux is more flexible and securer than the win-platform.
The second problem is that windos does things that it shouldnt do, it sends information over youre programms and Hardware to Microsoft, and you need programms to set it of.
That what they call service,especially with windows comes no Ofiice you must pay extra costs for that truly i dont like Microsoft after all.

If someone is usin Linux longer he sure will find out what a OS is ;) + You can get the most Distibutions for linux free.

DakX

DakX

Inactivity strikes again

Quote by suzukiYou said you learned more about your computer and don't know how to make partitions?
btw. do you know program languages if you don't you shouldn't bother with linux becouse it isn't as nice as certain people say.

I never cared about beeing able to partion. I will look in to it.
I already know i need to learn some programing languages, some1 said phyton to me or something like that. And C and C++. They told me to start with the phyton thing cuz is the best for starting with learning to program.
Does any off you know a better programing language then tell me, i am young i have the time to learn.

Jeneko

Jeneko

Ed Obsessed Girl

Used Linux at school but I guess (in my opinion) Windows is better ^_^; and more popular.

Time that passes by unhesitatingly and unhurriedly
I won't forget the pain that changes into kindness
My heart that I wounded when I was too reackless
I'll embrace it, for the reborn me
I Will

Signature

Keik

TarballIUTzone

Quote by JenekoUsed Linux at school but I guess (in my opinion) Windows is better ^_^; and more popular.

Can you explain why windows should be the better Os ?

DaNuke

DaNuke

Punio de Hierro

Well... maybe cause Windows is compatible with everything... that's the only advantage I see. It's bloated, it's unsafe, heavy, and I can say it's way too easy to use. Why too user friendly? Just look at this: a friend once asked me how to open a CD's contents because he always selects the options that appear in the little pop up box when you insert a CD in Win xp.

PS: The best distro to get started is Mandriva. It comes with EVERYTHING you'll need, there's pretty much no need to install anything. And yes, you can have Windows and Linux installed at the same time in your machine: just create a Linux partition of about 3-4 GB and install it there. Linux will install some little thingy called "LILO" (Linux Loader), a selection menu that allows you to choose between booting with Linux or Windows. Right now, for example, I have Mandrake 10 and Windows xp running in my computer.

I also strongly suggest to have Linux and Windows at the same time. Have Linux running all the time. If you must use a Windows-only device or app, just reboot, select Windows, do what you need to, reboot, and select Linux again.

Quote by people from the Irrompibles forumsDaedalus: i can imagine Rince's mangas
plater: ECCHI!
Pollo: Pure vile hentai.

Listening: Vengaboys - We Like to Party (The Vengabus)

I'm surprised not many people suggested installing Ubuntu, I've had more success with it than Fedora or Mandrake.

Quote: Can you explain why windows should be the better Os ?

Microsoft Windows is not a bad OS. It has better driver support, an easier learning curve, a more complete GUI, etc. It is in no way perfect but some people can be narrow minded and fanatical.
If Linux was superior to Windows in everyway, then why is everyone using it?

I prefer Gentoo.. There's large forums and you can find almoust everything you need in there and ofcourse the online manual...
www.gentoo.org
And yes you can make dual boot but you must install windows first, because it will install itself on your linux if you don't install it first... I don't use 2 harddrives and it works still works... I can't say that i can use any programming language propely so that doesn't mean it isn't necessary to know how to make programs, but it is a good thing to know how to use programming languages..
If you can't think logically then use windows until you can, because it is impossible to use linux if you don't think yourself some things up...

Boo-Yah!

Keik

TarballIUTzone

Gentoo need a lot of knowing linux too ;)
btw. Mandrake is now called Mandriva

Hey dax i finnaly found my Distribution you shoul try Slackware , there a lot of Handwork but you learn something about liux fore sure :)

you can get slackware for free ;)

[url]www.slackware.com[/url]

Try it ! (when youre interested and register in a slackforum, you ll need this to configure the system ;)

Yes, you can do it, but... the PC gets slowly ~.~ And i don't like that stupid Linux! XD

BorisGrishenko

BorisGrishenko

send spike

The only way to really learn it is to dive in and actually use it.

I am invincible!

DakX

DakX

Inactivity strikes again

I wanna thank you all for your help and sugestions. I think that i will wait with linux untill i have a new computer. So that i can run linux on my old one cuz it doesn't need much power. Thx all.

page 1 of 1 24 total items

Back to Computers & Internet | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.