Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Rising above and beyond. - Minitokyo

Rising above and beyond.

page 1 of 1 5 total items

gilesaquil

gilesaquil

honora medicum

First of all, I'd like to apologize to any of the mods who might have to trouble himself/herself to close this thread since I think other similar ones exist, by RaXiv, and by belmikry...although the object of this one is rather different. Apologies also to those who might strongly disagree with what I have to say...these are all my own personal opinion anyway...I just really hope that it makes you guys think. I have to get this off my chest! Sorry, I'm kinda radical...

Note: This was inspired by my research and reflections regarding my work on Order-of-Reason's virtual working paper project as well as other members, and threads in the forums (special mention to belmikry's). It is not meant to diss anyone, is also for non-casual members, and I like writing in the third-person.;) Wasn't really sure where to put this, so it went under "everyday life".

Starting out:
Perhaps most people accidentally stumble onto MT while surfing the net (while searching in Google or Yahoo for wallpaper sites or something to that extent). They then go "hey, cool site..." and sign up after a couple of pageviews, happy with their newfound treasure-trove of art goodies.

Level...up!:
Being new, most simply explore, watch, lurk.
Some of the more impatient ones go straight to the gallery and start downloading wallpapers (scans are still off-limits). Content with the simple joy of having new images of their favorite fancy at the moment, they stick to that...until it comes to a point that they've got 3-4 windows all downloading at the same time, usually not even bothering to comment since they know absolutely nothing about art, or "that program used to make walls", though when they do, it's all spacebar and then "wow"...they just leech.
Others, especially the more sociable ones, wander to the forums and find topics of interest. Heck, they go straight to creating their own threads on absolutely nothing at all...one, after another, after another...they join lots of groups (and end up being really inactive in a lot of them, not really contributing)...they find it rather enjoyable to just spam.
For those who have a sizable stash of scans and whatnot, or who know a little of image editing and manipulation, submissions turn in early...some good, some okay, most not really up to snuff...then the makers of the latter rant and complain when theirs are deleted by the "evil mods and their dog botchii".

Moving on:
And so it goes...some stay, some leave, some are banned...some stagnate, while others make the effort to improve.

It's been said innumerable times...MT isn't merely an image/wall/scan site. It has been often referred to as a "community"...one we willingly decided to join (though perhaps we really didn't know what we were getting into at the time, being n00bs and all...). While another thread focused on other issues, I guess this one zeroes in on the more "invisible" or "indifferent" members of MT, leechers, lurkers, and those who just don't give a damn.

Personal experiences:
Recently, I've been trying to make myself useful since it's vacation time (ending soon, though, but I'm still gonna be around).
I'm learning more of Photoshop...I've got a wall pending, but not up at MT yet since my one and only sensei-san suggested it wasn't good enough...and now I'm working on vectoring my very first work. Ouch, but I don't want it taken down for quality reasons. I stink...no...I really stink at making walls, and I'm trying to improve.
I've a flair for writing, so I'm helping out at Universal Manga Proyect and Poetry-Corner. There are other, better writers there, and I'm learning from them and get new ideas for my own creativity.
Intellectual discussions interest me, so I'm frequenting Order-of-Reason and the forums. I don't post much, since I'm not that much of an intellectual (I'm more of a humanist and a catechist), but there's a lot to be picked up from the discussions.
I try to send messages to my friends every once in a while, to keep in touch. They're in my list for a reason. ;)
But most of all, I enjoy each visit to Minitokyo and try to learn something every time.

I know we all have lives outside of this community. Work, studies, etc also exist and dominate, and I agree that they should take precedence. There are more important things outside of Minitokyo, and if you've got a lot to contend with already, by all means, devote your time to that. I'm just trying to say that there must be something else to be obtained, aside from all the great art, while you're here. There must be something that we can give back to the community, to the admin/mods, to the helpful and friendly members, to all the people who make up and make MT something worthwhile.
Helping out n00bs is something not only the mods should be doing. Making, respecting, helping (emotionally, spiritually, MT-ically ;)) and keeping in touch with friends is good. Giving useful, critical comments for original art and walls is too. So are joining group projects and making use of one's talents. Developing oneself while helping the community develop is the best way. There are a lot of members that do at least one, as I've seen in my research, and I applaud them all.
I mean, can one really be content with just complacency and leeching? I really hope not.

And not just in minitokyo...I used this community to illustrate what can be...what should be done in any community, in your own community! Help yourself by and while helping others. :) Sure, these things do not actually fall under the policy; it actually goes above and beyond that, but it'd benefit everyone if it were advocated. I'm not forcing anyone...I am enjoining everyone.

Haha...a short message contained in a long rant...I wanted to clearly illustrate a point. I hope nobody was offended. I don't think it violates anything in the forum guidelines post though...very sorry if the mods deem that it does...

Wow, that felt good! Anyways, good day to all, and God bless. :)

Oh! *gives a standing ovation and claps like crazy* You, oh noble sir, have revived my dreams of making MT a better community. Community. Got that word down right, mate!

It's important that member know that they're essential to this side of the Net. A forum is not defined by the mods and admins that govern it. It's not even the amount of members subscribed, nor the perks of being a member. It's the interaction among these elements that can make or break a community.

So yeah, what I'm trying to say really is (everybody now!) Love and Peace!!!

Rizy123

Rizy123

*AM active now, msg me baby ;)*

*sheds a small tear*
I'm so proud to have "stumbled" across here!

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

Anjhurin

Linguistics

Anjhurin

ARIA sanchou

what i have to say here is "bravo". yeah i do think along your lines, i think that most of the active members are doing their best to help each others, and noobs too, but the point is MT is 100 000 + ppl...... with something like (just a number, not sure of it) a few thousands being active by either posting in threads, creating threads, submitting art.... among those active members, a lot post redundant stuff to gain lvl, i'm not blaming the noobs, but well that's ben an inherent MT problem for some time (the female scan section most of the time, lvl 10 ^_^).

so one thing that could be done is that the system (bot chii) send a "welcoming msg" to the new person who registered (i don't know if that can be done, but it could be automatic in order not to get the mods to spend their time sending those, or spotting out new members).
in this "welcoming msg", there would be a presetation of MT, links to the rules/faq/noob bibles, and maybe a little glossary to help ppl. and a summary, like *english speaking site*, *no duplicate threads*, *no hentai*, *no duplicate scans / ripping*.
and then it could be changed from time to time, to promote the MT events (i'm thinking of the battle royale, and the MT doujinshi contest). something like 'if you like doujinshi / walling, check these links'
that would get the noob started, and maybe already taking part into the community. maybe reminding them to make an intro thread..... i think it could be a good way to have less dup / crap around the forums and galleries. but that would go only for the willing ppl, not the ones who're only here to leech ^_^'

if that idea has already been raised, and is under construction or not, i'd sure like to help writing it down, maybe have it translated into different languages (with the help of hispanime, flip, french tribu etc....) XP

hope to see your vector soon, i'll try to make a good comment on it ^_^

mela

mela

~*mela-chan*~

great speech... was that a speech? well... that's it! he! he! :D

"Never be captivated by anyone, just live as yourself in the way you are."

ei friends! how are you?
always remember that i'm here if you need me! :)

page 1 of 1 5 total items

Back to Love, Friends & Family | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.