Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 concept of time (a bit medically technical...) - Minitokyo

concept of time (a bit medically technical...)

page 1 of 1 3 total items

gilesaquil

gilesaquil

honora medicum

Just something I've been thinking about while reading neuroanatomy...and I knocked my table clock over...

Time flies when you're having a good time. Conversely, it seems to slow down in times of boredom or extremely intense situations (like when you drop something, and you go "Nnnnooooooooo!!!" in slow-motion :)).

Einstein proposed that time and space are relative. What if it applied to humans' concept of time itself? There could be a subsystem in the nervous system (probably in the brain) that mediates the person's "sense" of time...during times of non-danger, or more specifically, enjoyment or fun (in medical terms, those described as inducing "parasympathetic" responses), the system is inactive and time seems to move faster. But during stressful situations ("sympathetic") it is activated and the person has a more perceptive sense of the flow of time. It could be an involuntary body-function (physiologic) mechanism...though it doesn't really explain boredom...

Or, another idea, it could just be the person's awareness. If he/she is absorbed in something, the person focuses on that instead of other things...while in times when there is nothing to focus on, as in the case of boredom, more attention is devoted to "time" in general. But then again, this wouldn't really explain the "falling object phenomenon".

Haha...just some food for thought...any other bright ideas about the subject?

Davo

Davo

I'll kill you

well, consider the adrenaline like a factor to sense of time, when you're in stress situation the brain send impulses to suprarrenal glandules to release cortison and adrenaline , the first have the function to prepare your psychological for the situation (maybe connected with our sense of time in the perception) and the second sustance have the function like a muscular relax,and increase your speed reflex and some cases the strong, in the case of our senses of time is modified in the fact of our reflex making the sensation of slow motion, like the situation of the falling object , where a person in this situation release adrenaline because of the surprise , and see in a few moments in slow motion the falling object and some cases are presented in automovilistic accidents

Signature Image
DAVO THE ECCHIMAKER :"If a demon stands in my way, I will cut him apart. If a saint stands in my way, I will cut him apart"

Spystreak

Retired Moderator

Spystreak

The Grim Reaper

Wow I've never eally actaully thought about the whole time issue.
I do agree with you though. I generally think of time as a continuously existant event. How we look at time is dependant upon our state of mind. Like you said during periods of bordeom we tend to focus on the passing of time more making it seem like it is crawling by. While the opposit eis true during happier times like when we are having fun. During this time usually seems to pass by before we really know it.

The passing of time really has no definate answer. The way in which we view time differs from person to person.

Fools You Can't Escape from The Grim Reaper. Your Only Chance for Escape Is Death. Bye Bye Now
Signature
Your Ignorance Will Be Your Own Downfall.

page 1 of 1 3 total items

Back to Love, Friends & Family | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.