Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 REPORT: More Rips - minitokyo.net - Minitokyo

REPORT: More Rips - minitokyo.net

page 2 of 2 « Previous 1 2 32 total items

Jim3535

Jim3535

Shinigami

Quote by calisqo
Sadly, to hear that u mentioned wall shouldn't have signature T.T

I think you misinterpreted what I was saying. My only gripe is when people make huge, ugly signatures with threats against ripping. I think that every wall should have a signature that provides both the author's name and a link to their website.

I used to hold the wallpaper creators in very high regard. They spend countless hours creating beautiful works they they allow people to use on their desktops for free. Watching the way things go in these ripping threads has really been an eye-opener for me. It has eroded the respect I have for the way these people conduct themslves. I mentioned names because I hope that they will read this and reconsider flaming/bashing/making death threats in the future. It does not help in any way and only serves to degrade their image. Why not show them that you really are betther than them and conduct yourself professionally?

Signature Image

DayBreak

DayBreak

The Prince Is Dead

Quote by Jim3535

Quote by calisqo
Sadly, to hear that u mentioned wall shouldn't have signature T.T

I think you misinterpreted what I was saying. My only gripe is when
people make huge, ugly signatures with threats against ripping. I think
that every wall should have a signature that provides both the author's
name and a link to their website.
I used to hold the wallpaper creators in very high regard. They spend
countless hours creating beautiful works they they allow people to use
on their desktops for free. Watching the way things go in these ripping
threads has really been an eye-opener for me. It has eroded the respect
I have for the way these people conduct themslves. I mentioned names
because I hope that they will read this and reconsider
flaming/bashing/making death threats in the future. It does not help in
any way and only serves to degrade their image. Why not show them that
you really are betther than them and conduct yourself professionally?

Wait a sec, if you do really have respect to the owners of the walls you uploaded.
You would of just ask them first though, cause nobody likes to have their wallpapers
on other gallery sites with no permission. Even with the sig intact, you gatto understand that.

Signature
i have such good eyes for spotting talent *-* it never failed me -0- cept for the time when i picked bromit to be staff -0- -Queen Saki

Sinistra

Sinistra

MT Fanatic

Why are we even having a pointless discussioin like this? it has no valid point to it. everything on MT is copyrighted ether to the creator of the wall or the artist that made the scan so why should MT change its site policy because someone thinks its "unfair" to the authors. WE ARE NOT making money OFF OF IT! its what we people call a hobby it would be totaly different if MT was making money off selling of the scans and wallpapers' but they are not so drop the debate about how unfair the policy statement is if your so worried about getting busted then don't upload anything anymore

Look at it this way. you don't have to ask permission put up images of your favorite Jpop artist if your making a "fan site" basicly isn't that what MT is? a huge fansite deticated to Anime?

and international copyright laws don't apply Why? you ask? There are valid Torrent sites that get away with more coypright ripping then any other sites. they call it "Fan Subbing" If a site can get away with taking downloads of animes and resubing them then whats wrong with us taking images and putting them in our own creations?

Let me know If I am missing the point

anti-spammers | photoshop-lovers

biriwilg

Retired Moderator

biriwilg

+indie mod+

I think both sides of this argument have valid points (and I apologize if I'm reviving an older discussion - haven't been on in a few days). Yes, people here have been out of hand. I completely agree with that statement. But it also shows that they sincerely do not wish their wallpapers distributed - the other side of the argument. There's got to be a middle line, right? That's what I've been trying to achieve, in my negotions as 'distro mod'.

I have been irritated by the irrational responses of some members here, (not naming names - it's more of a group hysteria than anything) because honestly - being rude will get you nowhere in this world. If you can't treat the admin of a distro site respectfully, why should they treat you respectfully?

That being said, I think the strongest argument for MT's anti-distro policy, to some extent, is the very visible fact that members' agitation, however uncourteous, demonstrates that they sincerely do not wish their wallpapers to be redistributed. Whether or not that is wholly feasible, I can't say. But as a mod, I feel it is my duty to act in the interest of benefitting the members - if that requires me to try to get wallpapers taken down from distro sites, so be it. I don't necessarily believe that it is the most realistic goal in the world, but if it is making people so upset, why not try. If your argument proves effective, and the majority of wallers OK distribution, then I will cease efforts.

What I'm trying to say is that there's a middle ground. Treat distro sites with respect, politely request for removal, and if that doesn't work then live with it. Does it work in the long term? I'll have to wait and see.

And a post-script about legality: I think that's neither here nor there. This has never been tested on a legal scale, and Lord willing never will be. I don't feel that debating the legality of artbook scans has much bearing on this situation.

- Biri out.

XianPu

XianPu

Ni Hao

All I know is that I am tired of running across a stolen copy of one of my wallpapers with Joe N00b as the 'artist'. For crying out loud people, if you steal the work-- remember to at least make it look like it's your work- ie remove any name from the original artist. Duh...

i am also tired of getting accused of stealing my own work at this very site. People, trust me when I say that it is mine, always has been and always will be. Just because you see it somewhere else? Guess what? Chances are it's stolen from here.

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

euna

Retired Moderator

euna

I don't deny that you've all got good points here, but when I report rips or distros, I do it, beacause I think people should know that their hard worked walls are being submitted elsewhere without their consent.

Quote by Jim3535I have never claimed that it was right or proper to upload those scans.
I uploaded them because I wished to share them with people who might
make wallpapers with those images. My point about the scans is that
people who approve of uploading these types of works should not be the
ones who complain about others distributing their walls (so long as
they are unmodified and give credit).

I don't think I've seen anyone on MT so far that claims scans or images in their walls as their own unless they are. Wallers here don't claim the scans as their own and I think that's acceptable.

Quote by ShadowdudeWait a sec, if you do really have respect to the owners of the walls you uploaded.
You would of just ask them first though, cause nobody likes to have their wallpapers
on other gallery sites with no permission. Even with the sig intact, you gatto understand that.

Agreed on that point. Wallers should at least be notified that their walls are being redistributed to another site, which shows at least the respect for the wallers and their artwork - even with the siggies on the walls, I reckon the wallers should be notified.
I've seen really bad rips (take a look at a couple of walls on Basehead.org) where the submitter pretends they have created the walls by copying descriptions from MT along with the walls.

If I offended you with my not-so-friendly MT siggie then, fine, I'll make it s little more friendly, but I don't want to see my walls (okay, not the scans and brushes) submitted on other sites without asking and many others feel the same about theirs'.
And, as I said before, I report rips because I feel that wallers need to know where their walls are going, and I don't go bashing rippers/redistributors (although my siggie suggested that I might) - I actually do go and ask politely to the admins of the sites to remove them.

crewcifix

crewcifix

Christian Boy

Quote by biriwilgWhat I'm trying to say is that there's a middle ground. Treat distro sites with respect, politely request for removal, and if that doesn't work then live with it. Does it work in the long term? I'll have to wait and see.

this is one of the strongest points i've encountered yet. very true indeed.

and oh, euna seems to have replied here. Oo I hope you're differences have patched up. :)

I'm always just here hoping for the better good.

Feel the Rain on Your Skin. No One Else can Feel it For You. Only You Can Let it in.
Signature Image
-=Admin&Mod=- Flip | Ice and Snow | Nippon Foods | TSubasa | Pure Light Love | Assistance Coalescence | Make a Friend | FMWS | Syaoran shrine | Filipino Comm. | Sakura | Sea | Pokemon League | SS shrine | The Real Folk Blues | English | McDonald's

minimouzo

minimouzo

Papaya

Some points :

* good to see polite discussion is finally recognized as the sole way to deal with distro sites ; i thank you jim,biriwilg and celessa to recognize it and to make others believe it.

* so, nobody claims to be the author of a picture here ?
so what's this copyright[username] at the bottom of each picture ?

Quote by JinzhouBut, here in-lies the problem. Technically anything put on this website is a rip because it's someone elses artwork. But under a good-faith type of understanding it is allowed to represent a purely artistic value. But when you rip someone elses wallpaper (the artwork they did plus the 'official' work), it is disgraceful, whiether a rip or a distro.

that's it ... so why not putting this in the policy instead of something controversial like what stands currently in it ?

distro sites that want too strict rules regarding copyright will all fall is this ironical cycle ...

to summarize this last point :
let's stop this irony and let's state what clearly is allowed here in the policy ...
currently, all what stands here is a rip ... jinzhou himself said it. But all isn't deleted by the moderators. Policy asks again for clarifications ; the content of the site "should" be in harmony with the policy.

fighting to see who is right regarding copyright is too long and too difficult ... but fighting to have a valid policy is in my opinion the point of this disucssion.

Eat a papaya everyday and everything will be ok Signature Image

Support section

page 2 of 2 « Previous 1 2 32 total items

Back to Minitokyo Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.