Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 "Decent" written English? - Minitokyo

"Decent" written English?

page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Next » 71 total items

kawaiiguy

kawaiiguy

Objective reviewer

Bear with me on this one...

When browsing forums and blogs, I often come across something that really bothers me. It seems that a subset of the population doesn't like using what I would consider "decent" written English. It truly disturbs me to see a blog comment written completely without any sort of punctuation, capitalization, or the complete word "you."

While I understand the need for abbreviation in some contexts, are people out there really too lazy to type out "you" and instead substituting it for a single letter? It's something that really bothers me when seeing stuff like that. It's almost like people don't really care about what they write.

Another thing that bothers me is the misuse of the words "there," "their," and "they're." I learned the difference in grade school. For clarification, "there" refers to a place, "their" refers to ownership, and "they're" is the contraction for "they are." I've most commonly seen "their" inserted for everything. I even spotted one on the front page of threads.

Perhaps I'm being anal about this or maybe I'm just too sensitive to such things. You must excuse the rantings of this particular grammar whore. Do other people out there (besides me) frown on this bastardization of the English language? Does anyone else think less of someone who starts every sentance with "u knoe"?

Signature Image

.:Administrator and contributer of the Minitokyo-review::Proud helper of Chaos-Cross - Help make MT a better place!:.

kirchu

kirchu

Ryo

Well, it's a lot easier to read with proper English, and a few typos is okay since we all make mistakes anyway, right?

Wow, I wonder who writes their online journals in 1337. XD That be amusing big time.

huh, u now i dont really care about spelling things and grammer online, if i make a mistake in my spelling i just leave it unless it is a completely different word like one time i was typing hello and i droped the o so i mean i went back and fixed it.

hiddensnakehands

hiddensnakehands

Captain Obvious

heck, if it wasnt for megatokyo, 1337 wont be that popular anymore
To kawaiiguy: it is 3:22am EST

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

kawaiiguy

kawaiiguy

Objective reviewer

Quote by kirchuWell, it's a lot easier to read with proper English, and a few typos is okay since we all make mistakes anyway, right?

Typos are perfectly understandable. In quicker contexts (like IM), I usually don't correct most mistypes, but I usually will correct spelling. Capitalization isn't as important there as well, though I still tend to capitalize names, places, and "i." In a world where we want to speak our minds, don't you think people should at least write coherantly? It's one of my pet peeves.

Quote by kirchuWow, I wonder who writes their online journals in 1337. XD That be amusing big time.

An all l337 blog would be amusing, but impossible for the untrained eye to read. I usually have to stop and think about the l337 in MegaTokyo, and that's not even hardcore l337!

Quote by ameerayoubhuh, u now i dont really care about spelling things and grammer online, if i make a mistake in my spelling i just leave it unless it is a completely different word like one time i was typing hello and i droped the o so i mean i went back and fixed it.

Right, some things are excusable. However, when someone doesn't use any sort of punctuation, it makes it really hard for a person to read once and understand. Stream of conciousness doesn't usually translate well into a textual medium, that is of course, if you want to get your idea across the first time.

Quote by hiddensnakehands To kawaiiguy: it is 3:22am EST

Yes it is. Shouldn't that apply for you as well? ;)

Signature Image

.:Administrator and contributer of the Minitokyo-review::Proud helper of Chaos-Cross - Help make MT a better place!:.

I write in proper english (even spell-checked) simply because that's the way I like it.

i know heaps of people, however, who write in heavily abbreviated english (u mst've rd sumthing like tat). Thankfully I can understand what they have written (though writing is a different story). I am even more thankful that the people I correspond with do not generally "1337-sp33k". ;)

Regards.

Quote by hiddensnakehands heck, if it wasnt for megatokyo, 1337 wont be that popular anymore

yeah they understand j00 at mega tokyo! And i just remembered i fo use some 1337 like n00b but rather than os i put the number 0 and w00t! and i use this google search engine language some times http://www.google.com/intl/xx-hacker/ hey even have parts of there site translated like http://www.google.com/intl/xx-hacker/why_use.html

Celessa

Retired Moderator

Celessa

Okaerinasai - Welcome Home

I actually consider that perhaps you may worry too much, but that's just from my perspective here.

Yes, I am one of those people who depends on literacy as some sort of artistic form as well, of course. **Giggles** You know, being able to jot things down on pen, that makes you describe things a whole lot better that way. I suppose I presume it's a gift some of us actually obtain, but not everyone benefits from over here. For me, well, mine comes naturally like a gift. Sure, I'm not much of a big time fan reading of those who tend to be a little illiterate and the sorts, but it does really get annoying to talk to those who hardly make any sense at all, and bring confusion to the table. Funny enough, a rant about people who don't even make any sense. Does that even make sense? **Pulls out her machinegun** Mwahaha! In any case, I don't find it that big of a deal.

Annoying? Figuratively speaking, yes. Posts I discover to be really ridiculous and brimming to the top with the lack of brain power and sensibility of knowledge, from time to time? You bet. **Shrugs** Meh, I get used to it. And err... I don't really bother re-editing my words as well, apparently since I don't have the time pretty much to necessitate such a figure. **Checks her watch** Yep, thought so. **Shrugs**

Whoops, what a strange topic indeed.
[Mind my manners, by the way. Oh deary me. **Giggles**]

"No matter where you go, no matter how tough life may be, just remember that always in your heart, you will still be loved."

Signature

kawaiiguy

kawaiiguy

Objective reviewer

Quote by EnchanterI am even more thankful that the people I correspond with do
not generally "1337-sp33k". ;)
Regards.

I find l337-sp34k amusing. I use it when I'm joking around with people, or to emphasize how dorky I am. I've even been known to use it in actual verbal conversations. "pwned" is a word that has wound up in my vocabulary...

d00d! It r0x0rz my s0x0rz!!1

Signature Image

Keough

Keough

Lockhart

I apologize if i dont use proper english XD.

But i believe we write like this just cuz we r lazy to either type out the whole word, or since were so use to abbreviation it's kinda just a natural reflex.

Vinitachi

Vinitachi

Azndude

Quote by ameerayoub

Quote by hiddensnakehands heck, if it wasnt for megatokyo, 1337 wont be
that popular anymore

yeah they understand j00 at mega tokyo! And i just remembered i fo use
some 1337 like n00b but rather than os i put the number 0 and w00t! and
i use this google search engine language some times
http://www.google.com/intl/xx-hacker/

Oww my head....
Reading inproper English do hurt my head alittle bit... that why I like it proper. I'm keeping my English classes in my head. >=(

Learning little by little.
Signature

kawaiiguy

kawaiiguy

Objective reviewer

I think the thing I'm most "upset" about is the lack of effor put forth in communication these days. As the saying goes "practice makes perfect." Wouldn't practicing the wrong thing on a consistant basis eventually lead to habit? Grammar and spellcheckers are great, but so is learning to write properly.

Trust me, checking over a piece of writing yourself is far better than having the computer check it. This isn't to say I don't use these tools, I just prefer to do it right the first time.

*looks at the time* I think that might be the other reason for my rantings... Is it really that hard to use the period and comma keys on the keyboard?

Signature Image

Quote by kawaiiguy
Another thing that bothers me is the misuse of the words "there," "their," and "they're." I learned the difference in grade school. For clarification, "there" refers to a place, "their" refers to ownership, and "they're" is the contraction for "they are." I've most commonly seen "their" inserted for everything. I even spotted one on the front page of threads.

Well, I think that it _can_ be anoying when people dont typ "decent" english...
But not everyone has learned english at school, I live in the Netherlands and we are learning english at school but its still hard to get all those grammar in your head. (You try learning some language >.>) Me too suck at grammar... but I'm not doing it on purpose...

Signature Image

Shkira

Shkira

Cake!!

Futuregirlie has a point about all the non-native English speakers here. It's just something to bare with.

People who overly abbreviate words piss me off. There's a few accepted ones that are always used in the "online chat" language, but people go overboard with it.

For the record, I'm also against hip hop/rap music that makes rhymes by mispronouncing words.

Ikorus

Ikorus

Silly Narcissist

Quote by kawaiiguyBear with me on this one...
When browsing forums and blogs, I often come across something that
really bothers me. It seems that a subset of the population doesn't
like using what I would consider "decent" written English. It truly
disturbs me to see a blog comment written completely without any sort
of punctuation, capitalization, or the complete word "you."
While I understand the need for abbreviation in some contexts, are
people out there really too lazy to type out "you" and instead
substituting it for a single letter? It's something that really bothers
me when seeing stuff like that. It's almost like people don't really
care about what they write.
Another thing that bothers me is the misuse of the words "there,"
"their," and "they're." I learned the difference in grade school. For
clarification, "there" refers to a place, "their" refers to ownership,
and "they're" is the contraction for "they are." I've most commonly
seen "their" inserted for everything. I even spotted one on the front
page of threads.
Perhaps I'm being anal about this or maybe I'm just too sensitive to
such things. You must excuse the rantings of this particular grammar
whore. Do other people out there (besides me) frown on this
bastardization of the English language? Does anyone else think less of
someone who starts every sentance with "u knoe"?

"Sentance?" Was that intentional? Anyway, I'm definitely a grammar whore myself. My whole class is. I don't know how we're even able to speak English well while our teachers don't even seem to be aware of Subject-verb agreement. ~_~ For the "their," they're," and "there" confusion, I think sometimes people accidentally type the wrong word while thinking of the correct one--you know, typos. It happens to me and my sister all the time.

Also, not all people here have English as their native language. Mine is Filipino for example. It's just really a part of the internet. It's a blessing, though, to read proper English used because I read it faster and more easily.

Quote by CelessaAnnoying? Figuratively speaking, yes. Posts I discover to be really ridiculous and brimming to the top with the lack of brain power and sensibility of knowledge, from time to time? You bet.

Definitely agree with Celessa here.

Signature
Latest wall: Archway to the Elysian Fields (an original abstract wallpaper)
I'll only dread one day at a time. - Charlie Brown

hiddensnakehands

hiddensnakehands

Captain Obvious

I guess i am okay with abbreviated english if Me or most of the community understands it, such as pwn or stfu or omgwtfbbq or lol
I just have a problem when ppl overly abbreviate to show off their kewl and laziness

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

Siri

Siri

Suou

I don't mind it to some extent
lets just say
that once it gets to the point where I have to concentrate to decifer what the heck some one typing
thats when I get peeved

Another peeve is when in fan fics I see people use this kind of language.
I think in any kind of written story at least you should use proper english

Certain types of bad grammar really annoy me .. like when people say
"you should of" instead of "you should have" lol ^^;;
ahhhhh any way, I myself went through that phase of typing every thing as hard to possibly read as I freaking could, and then.. I got over it and a majority of how I write now semi-decent

When everyone leaves you... I'll look for you then
Signature Image

AngelKate

AngelKate

~*Lady Sweetness*~

I usually use proper English when typing on forums, it's much easier to read that way. Oh yes, I use it in my journal too. I can write 1337 but I generally don't, unless I'm trying to be funny,

ph34r my 1337 sk177z! XD

I'll use abbreviattions still too, like "lol" or "wtf", since those are pretty common now anyway. :)

Signature
Not really walling much anymore D: Feel free to browse my gallery, though!
Thank you for the siggy and avy, Kitten! ^_^

kawaiiguy

kawaiiguy

Objective reviewer

On the topic of non-native English speakers:
Oddly enough, I don't have a problem with these people. For the most part, I can tell that they're trying to write coherantly. There's some attempt at punctuation. There is noticable amounts of effort.

hoevar wen things come ot liek tis, I had to try and write that way. I see it all the time: perfectly intelligent people who can compose normally written email suddenly revert to some other form of English when entering the online world. Honestly, I don't see the reason. If you can type fast enough normally, is there suddenly a need to type faster when trying to communicate to the masses? Last I checked, Minitokyo isn't going anywhere...

When I evaluate someone for the first time (and subsequent times), speech and ability to communicate tops my list of critera. If someone isn't able to talk to me and communicate with me in a coherant manner, my perception of them is somewhat lowered (save those who are putting forth a sincere effort). The same thing goes for writing.

Now that I'm up, I'm thinking a lot clearer. Watch out! ;)

Signature Image

k-li

k-li

Magical Girl ^_^

I do, but there are a few things that i abbreviate, but i speak in that way! like 'cos' and 'kindda' which is how i speak anyway!

i usually dont use lowercase/uppercase, but thats just cos im lazy ^^;;

Archer79

Nerdly Ghost

Umm... I voted for the most standard form of communication. lol

i really dislike leet, and would prefer to not know anything about your "nekid skills"... ;)

kawaiiguy

kawaiiguy

Objective reviewer

Quote by Archer79i really dislike leet, and would prefer to not know anything about your "nekid skills"... ;)

All hail the MegaTokyo reference ;)

Signature Image

ultimate540

ultimate540

Innocence Fleeting

Generally, my sentences don't neccesarily end...hehe...but the english is grammatically correct most of the time.

Archer79

Nerdly Ghost

Quote by kawaiiguy

Quote by Archer79i really dislike leet, and would prefer to not know anything about your "nekid skills"... ;)

All hail the MegaTokyo reference ;)

LOL Thanks! ...I still don't like leet. ...I can read it and handle it. ...I just don't like it. :D Seems too much like people are trying to be cool or something. ;)

page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Next » 71 total items

Back to Love, Friends & Family | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.