Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 "Decent" written English? - Minitokyo

"Decent" written English?

page 2 of 3 « Previous 1 2 3 Next » 71 total items

zephiris26

zephiris26

Vector Addict [TM]

I hate it when people don't spell things correctly, or even worse, insert random Japanese words into their English sentences. Choose a language, don't violate them both.
The "their", "there" and "they're" confusion bugs be as well. How can people not know this? I learned it in the fourth grade! XD

ShunKei

ShunKei

Moon Child

i normally use complete sentences but if i'm feeling lazy then i tend to abbreviate my words, it doesn't help that my spelling abilities need brushing up.

Signature

It's hard to answer the question, "What's wrong?" when nothing's right.

I used to be the same way, but then I realized, it's really sort of pointless. Net-speak will always be prevelant, and as long as it's legible, I'll bare with it. What I find strange is things written outside of the internet that use net-speak. For example, I'd often find notes on my desks from previous classes in school. I'd open them up just to see what they were, and toss them almost immediatly when I saw it was a note. But once I tried to read one, and it was like a foreign language. That was more so a mixture of net-speak and slang, so that one sentence would be as follows : "so he sayz, holla back, yo, lolz, so u saw him, wit her and shez all lyke dere. "

Needless to say, I got a headache and stopped reading.

"Does he make you high? Does he make you real? Does he make you cry? Does he know the way you feel? Love is all around you; your universe is full. But in my world ... there is only you."

OceanAngel01

OceanAngel01

umi no tsubasa

As long as abbreviations and slang are not way overused, I'm fine with it, but I generally try to type proper English. That is why I joined the English Club here in MT! See you guys around MT! :D

ElectricPhantasm

ElectricPhantasm

Nice to meet you .!.. (>_<) ..!.

Quote by Anti-matterI'd often find
notes on my desks from previous classes in school. I'd open them up
just to see what they were, and toss them almost immediatly when I saw
it was a note. But once I tried to read one, and it was like a foreign
language. That was more so a mixture of net-speak and slang, so that
one sentence would be as follows : "so he sayz, holla back, yo, lolz,
so u saw him, wit her and shez all lyke dere. " Needless to say, I got
a headache and stopped reading.

lmao, I see that crap written on bus seats and bathroom walls. One could sit there for hours trying to read it and not understand a single word. ^_^'

pamelaho

pamelaho

*iyellowbus...

I completely understand the point you're making. I can understand typos, and some incorrectly spelled words, and grammar errors.

But as long as they don't type in sTiCkY cApS or put numbers in their words, I'm fine with that. Oh, and people who "tries to look cool" by typing like a weirdo is not cool at all.

>> I can live with "cuz" and "ppl", but "ur" and "wat" etc... learn English.
>> People are using their "chat language" in school too. My teacher said she saw an essay with all the "you" into "u".
>> Why write "like" as "lyke" when they have the same amount of letters? I don't understand.

Signature

Latest Wallpaper: Hidamari no Tami - Vector

sadotsu

sadotsu

Neko-sama

I have been wanting to start a thread like this.
I don't understand how peole can be so lazy. It actually matters, you know? And some of the things they type is just so... stupid. Like substituting "cool" for "kewl". What's the point? Four letters. You won't die if you spell properly.
I normally don't bother with capitalisation when IMing my friends. But on forums like these, it makes everything so much easier if you just spell properly.
Also - the grammar errors. I agree with you completely on the their/they're/there thing. Lots of common mistakes like that are made, and it's so annoying. I know a person who has near-perfect spelling and grammar, but can't differentiate between "accept" and "except". On their requirements for hosting, they always say, "....If you have not received a reply within a week, you have not been excepted." It makes me want to shove a grammar lesson down their throat.
If a 13 year old Chinese girl can learn English properly, then would it be too much to ask for its native speakers to learn it properly?

Brownie the Cat

pamelaho

pamelaho

*iyellowbus...

Quote by sadotsuI have been wanting to start a thread like this.
I don't understand how peole can be so lazy. It actually matters, you know? And some of the things they type is just so... stupid. Like substituting "cool" for "kewl". What's the point? Four letters. You won't die if you spell properly.
I normally don't bother with capitalisation when IMing my friends. But on forums like these, it makes everything so much easier if you just spell properly.
Also - the grammar errors. I agree with you completely on the their/they're/there thing. Lots of common mistakes like that are made, and it's so annoying. I know a person who has near-perfect spelling and grammar, but can't differentiate between "accept" and "except". On their requirements for hosting, they always say, "....If you have not received a reply within a week, you have not been excepted." It makes me want to shove a grammar lesson down their throat.
If a 13 year old Chinese girl can learn English properly, then would it be too much to ask for its native speakers to learn it properly?

Funny how "cool" and "kewl" have the same amount of letters - 4 in both words. Why can people just type "cool"?

But for the If a 13 year old Chinese girl can learn English properly, then would it be too much to ask for its native speakers to learn it properly?, uh, I'm 16 and I'm failing English right now XD But if you passed gr. 1, you should know how to spell simple words like "cool", "like", "you" et...

Signature

Latest Wallpaper: Hidamari no Tami - Vector

ElectricPhantasm

ElectricPhantasm

Nice to meet you .!.. (>_<) ..!.

Quote by sadotsuI normally don't bother with
capitalisation when IMing my friends. But on forums like these, it
makes everything so much easier if you just spell properly.

I see what you mean. It would be really tough to read through 10 pages of this:

Quote by Anti-matter"so he sayz, holla back, yo, lolz,
so u saw him, wit her and shez all lyke dere. "

sadotsu

sadotsu

Neko-sama

Quote by pamelahoFunny how "cool and "kewl" have the same amount of letters - 4 in both
words. Why can people just type "cool"?

My point exactly ^_^.

Brownie the Cat

theQueen

~the ultimate Queen~

haha... i'm so suck at l337 thing [gosh, i don't even know what that suppose to mean]. i don't mind the abbreviation [sorry, if wrong-spelled] and if a person capitalize his 'i' or not. i can live if a person shortform 'you' into just 'u'. needless to say, as long as it contains ABC, i'm okay with it.

the problem is that when numbers appear with letters to actually become a word, god i really hate it. it takes time for my brain to compute everything to even juz guess what that word is~ that is definitely one thing i can't handle till now....

:sweat:

u dont lose a battle bcoz u're sick or wounded...it's when u lost hope and give up...that's when u lose the battle...checkmate....

SilverBlue

SilverBlue

BloodyCrystal

simple understandable stuff and common abbrieviations are acceptable (like WTF, roflmao, cos, lol...) but l337 is a headache and an eyesore.

aS iS SomEoNE wHo TypEs LIeK Dis.

Signature

Quote: lmao, I see that crap written on bus seats and bathroom walls. One could sit there for hours trying to read it and not understand a single word. ^_^'

Indeed. Bathroom writing is the voice of the people, apparently. It's always nice to read vulgar shout outs to girls while you're trying to take a leak.

"Does he make you high? Does he make you real? Does he make you cry? Does he know the way you feel? Love is all around you; your universe is full. But in my world ... there is only you."

kawaiiguy, I'm a lot like you in that correct grammar, punctuation, enunciation, etc. is a must. In fact, if I read a post I made and find a spelling error, I hit the edit button and go back to fix it. Some people, however, are either way too young or just don't know how to write in proper English. Unfortunately, it has the unfortunate effect of making some people seem stupid even if they're not, but I don't tend to generalize people that way. People should at least make an effort to try and improve their writing wherever necessary, even if your writing skills are technically perfect. I like to improve myself because that's my nature.

And no, you're not being anal about it. If people cannot write in proper English on these forums, what about when they go to apply for a job? What about when they have to do bills and stuff like that?

Taurec

Taurec

BAKA^2

Q. Do you use decent English when writing online?
To answer the question, no.. but I try. (sometimes)

Quote by kawaiiguyYou must excuse the rantings of this particular grammar whore

rantings => rants

Quote by kawaiiguy Does anyone else think less of someone who starts every sentance with "u knoe"?

But If you are going to be anal about it, at least write sentence like it should ..
*snickers* :P

- Too bad stupidity isn't painful

Airrrrrrr

kawaiiguy

kawaiiguy

Objective reviewer

Quote by TigerDudeSome people, however, are either way too young or just don't know how to
write in proper English.

This still doesn't excuse those who regress into a lower form when writing online. I don't understand that.

Quote by Taurec

Quote by kawaiiguyYou must excuse the rantings of this particular grammar whore

rantings =&gt; rants

Quote by kawaiiguy Does anyone else think less of someone who starts every sentance with "u knoe"?

But If you are going to be anal about it, at least write sentence like it should ..
*snickers* :P

I never claimed to be perfect, just more perfect than most ;) After many years of trying, I still can't properly spell "character." I always put an extra "h" in there. The spell checker usually lights up on that one...

Signature Image

.:Administrator and contributer of the Minitokyo-review::Proud helper of Chaos-Cross - Help make MT a better place!:.

kawaiiguy ~ "This still doesn't excuse those who regress into a lower form when writing online. I don't understand that."

It doesn't and I wish that people were self-conscience enough to realize that.

IronSerpent

Evanescence...

Capitalization is the difference between, "I helped my uncle Jack off a horse." and "I helped my uncle jack off a horse."

Myself, personally, I can't stand the whole net-speak and "leet"-speak garbage. If I see a post with more than one or two uses of net-speak in it or any leet in it at all, I'll skip over them, regardless of how much content might actually be in it. Then again, I've studied for almost seven years to get a degree in poetry and fiction, so maybe my opinion is more than a little biased.
Even so, when people use net-speak and leet-speak, I generally regard them as uneducated children and ignore them. Really, how can a person do otherwise? On the internet, where the primary form of communication is written and expressions are made by words, the initial impression a person gets of another is their writing, and to me, somebody who is not willing to writing out words as simple as "you" and "are" look, to me, like they don't have the care to put any effort into the conversation or discussion. If they aren't willing to fully type out short words, which takes not even a quarter-second longer (unless you are a very, very slow typist) then how can I trust your judgment on something which likely requires far more effort and thought than that?

Basically, to me, it's to the point where people take time to use the correct spellings and actually write out full words, or accept the fact that there are many people who will look at how they've been writing and judge them as mentally handicapped rejects of society.
Harsh? You had better believe it is. But again, if a person can't take the time to write out words as simple as "you", then how can I be sure they've taken the time or care to learn anything about what they are talking about?

Calling a sword by a pretty name is no more than adding perfume to poison.

kawaiiguy

kawaiiguy

Objective reviewer

Quote by IronSerpentCapitalization is the difference between, "I helped my uncle Jack off a
horse." and "I helped my uncle jack off a horse."

That is the best example I've ever seen. Wow. Did you come up with that yourself, or was it pulled from somewhere? Who should I credit if I want to use it?

I wholeheartedly agree with what you've said. Then again, I sort of started this thread... I was hoping for some other people to join the discussion and give a counterargument, but the nature of the topic probably prevents it from happening.

Signature Image

.:Administrator and contributer of the Minitokyo-review::Proud helper of Chaos-Cross - Help make MT a better place!:.

IronSerpent ~ Capitalization is the difference between, "I helped my uncle Jack off a
horse(,)" and "I helped my uncle jack off a horse."

Fixed.

IronSerpent

Evanescence...

Quote by kawaiiguyDid you come up with that yourself, or was it pulled from somewhere? Who should I credit if I
want to use it?

I got it from one of my English teachers who said she got it from one of her English teachers. Unfortunately, she wasn't sure where her teacher got it from. To my knowledge, though, it has been around for quite some time.

Quote by TigerDudeFixed.

Touche, Sir Pedant.

Edit :: Fixing bad characters which did not display correctly.

Calling a sword by a pretty name is no more than adding perfume to poison.

I honestly find ppl who rite leik dis to be incredibly disrespectful, especially when they respond to me using such "language". I just think it shows a lack of regard to whatever they're talking about and to myself for making me read such garbage.

Concerning contractions, I don't think they should be used be people who don't have an understanding of them. This is basic kindergarten stuff;
They're - don't use the contraction and you have "they are". Put that into a sentence instead.
Their - look at the "heir" inside. Heir, a person who owns something or who will own something, possessive. Use it when showing ownership.
There - has "here" in it. "Here" is a place, so "there" should be used when talking about places.

It's just.. common sense. I understand the occasional bloopers, I do so myself when I'm not paying attention, but there's no reason for people to be lacking an understanding about such things. I'm sure they know it, they're just too lazy to even care.

Jinzhou

Retired Moderator

Jinzhou

Forsaken God

I don't see the point NOT to type in proper English and correct grammar online. You're sitting at a computer, typing. How lazy do you have to be to contract "you" to "u"? I mean seriously, talk about being lazy.

1337 I can stand because that's usually funny and fun to type. But when you get the "ne1 no whre i cn gt 2 da forumz" that's just childish and really, really annoying.

Signature
Yes, I am god. Infallibility at its greatest.

Li-Mei

Li-Mei

Comatose

i just don't always capitalize. and sometimes i try to trick people into thinking that i'm not a very intelligent person. XD

Signature

page 2 of 3 « Previous 1 2 3 Next » 71 total items

Back to Love, Friends & Family | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.