Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 "Decent" written English? - Minitokyo

"Decent" written English?

page 3 of 3 « Previous 1 2 3 71 total items

Siri

Siri

Suou

Quote by theQueenhaha... i'm so suck at l337 thing [gosh, i don't even know what that suppose to mean]. i don't mind the abbreviation [sorry, if wrong-spelled] and if a person capitalize his 'i' or not. i can live if a person shortform 'you' into just 'u'. needless to say, as long as it contains ABC, i'm okay with it.
the problem is that when numbers appear with letters to actually become a word, god i really hate it. it takes time for my brain to compute everything to even juz guess what that word is~ that is definitely one thing i can't handle till now....
:sweat:

well as far as I've been told...1337 stands for leet which is a shortened form of the word "Elite"
lol

When everyone leaves you... I'll look for you then
Signature Image

shinsengumi

Retired Moderator

shinsengumi

. . . remember me?

Quote by Shkira Futuregirlie has a point about all the non-native English speakers here. It's ust something to bare with.
People who overly abbreviate words piss me off. There's a few accepted ones that are always used in the "online chat" language, but people go overboard with it. For the record, I'm also against hip hop/rap music that makes rhymes by mispronouncing words.

There's an important distinction to make between occasional spelling and grammar mistakes from non-native English speakers who actually make an effort to write in English and native English speakers who simply are too lazy to form coherent sentences or to write out words in comprehensible format.

Besides, consider this. Forums exist in order to exchange ideas, to discuss topics, and to debate issues. Writing using improper grammar, incorrect spelling, and appreviations gives people an air of immaturity and carelessness, therefore indirectly making an argument presented in such format much weaker when contrasted with a well-worded, syntactically correct post. Simply stated, the latter will always seem just that much more intelligent and legitimate than the former.

s h i n s e n g u m i
Minitokyo Policy, Forum, Review, and Category Maintenance Moderator Emeritus

Do not expect to be applauded when you do the right thing, and do not expect to be forgiven when you err, but even your enemies will respect commitment, and a conscience at peace is worth a thousand tainted victories.

Nice to know there are some other people who feel the same way, and I have to say that it's annoying but there has been a decline in average vocabulary over the last several decades. To be brutally honest, I can stand the odd misspell and/or mistake, but what really annoys me is the incorrect use of "Their, they're, there", "Here and hear", "to and too", and "your / you're". I once saw (At a public washroom) "your gay" written on the wall and although I knew what he meant, I had to ponder about it for a moment. "So you mean my gay? I have a gay?" Sometimes I wonder how they live without knowing the difference between those basic words.

i agree with shinsengumi that when it comes to any form of debate, it's often frowned upon to have someone use improper grammar and punctuation. I've gotten quite used to how people often negate a lot of spelling, and since the brain can base reading on the first and last letter of a word making even the most incoherent junk readable, I am mostly indifferent on the subject. People aren't likely to excel in english over the next few generations, so I'd say get used to it. Keep in mind that I say this while being imperfect myself.

Note: I don't even like leet speak, it's junk, but I also hate when the same people use "uber". Uber is "over/above" in German, but they think it's "Better" or some stupid crap. Derived from German (Obviously) it can typically be used in such a context (Deutschland Deutschland Uber Alles) but if they don't even know what the word means maybe they shouldn't use it. (As another note 1337 is not the correct "spelling", if you can call it that, of |337/l337. Because the number one is usually the substitute for "i" in leet speak)

kawaiiguy

kawaiiguy

Objective reviewer

Quote by VargusI once saw (At a public washroom) "your gay"
written on the wall and although I knew what he meant, I had to ponder
about it for a moment. "So you mean my gay? I have a gay?" Sometimes I
wonder how they live without knowing the difference between those basic
words.

I think in that case, you should have taken out a marker and corrected the statement. I'm sure that would have caused all sorts of trouble.

Quote by VargusNote: I don't even like leet speak, it's junk, but I also hate when the
same people use "uber". Uber is "over/above" in German, but they think
it's "Better" or some stupid crap. Derived from German (Obviously) it
can typically be used in such a context (Deutschland Deutschland Uber
Alles) but if they don't even know what the word means maybe they
shouldn't use it.

The usage of the word has changed as it was integrated into our language as slang. It happens all the time and is a part of our evolving language. Hell, "gay" used to be used to signify joyous or happy. Now it means homosexual. Go figure. There are other examples out there, but most ar probably not (currently) considered socially acceptable.

Quote by vargusAs another note 1337 is not the correct "spelling",
if you can call it that, of |337/l337. Because the number one is
usually the substitute for "i" in leet speak

There are varying levels of leet-speak. You have the |-|4|2|)(0|23 |337 and l1t3 l337. I usually go somewhere in between when trying to pull off being a really big dork. Shinsengumi is fluent in hardcore leet ;)

Signature Image

.:Administrator and contributer of the Minitokyo-review::Proud helper of Chaos-Cross - Help make MT a better place!:.

Quote by kawaiiguy
Another thing that bothers me is the misuse of the words "there,"
"their," and "they're."

And then there is "your" and "you're"; I always see "your welcome." What do you own a "welcome?"

One other thing that slightly bothers me is that a lot of people don't capitalize "I" when refering to themselves. Come on, you're more important than lower case guys!

Anyway, I always use, as you put it, decent English when typing, I think it's a good habit to get into plus it might even help on your language skills (in the smallest of ways of course. ^_^)

You're there living your life, and just knowing this simple little fact makes me so happy. ~Shiina Ringo, "Koufukuron"

Quote by kawaiiguyI think in that case, you should have taken out a marker and corrected
the statement. I'm sure that would have caused all sorts of trouble.

I probably should have, but it wasn't even worth it. I just felt it was kind of funny to look at.

Quote by kawaiiguyThe usage of the word has changed as it was integrated into our
language as slang. It happens all the time and is a part of our
evolving language. Hell, "gay" used to be used to signify joyous or
happy. Now it means homosexual. Go figure. There are other examples out
there, but most ar probably not (currently) considered socially
acceptable.

It's barely socially acceptable as much as it is a "gamer term" typically used by people who enjoy leet speak. Our language can evolve, but using words from other languages isn't evolving, it's substituting words we have in our own vocabulary with ones from another. I mean I don't mind the use of it, but the misunderstanding of the true meaning is hardly acceptable. I find it just as annoying as someone using words in english they don't understand, especially when you catch them using it incorrectly.

Quote by kawaiiguyThere are varying levels of leet-speak. You have the |-|4|2|)(0|23 |337
and l1t3 l337. I usually go somewhere in between when trying to pull
off being a really big dork. Shinsengumi is fluent in hardcore leet ;)

I'm pretty good with it myself, although it's not something I'd put on a resume. But it still stands that 1337 seems more like a common "outsider" view of leet.

sadotsu

sadotsu

Neko-sama

Quote by Li-Meii just don't always capitalize. and sometimes i try to trick people into thinking that i'm not a very intelligent person. XD

And you do that because...?

Brownie the Cat

Quote by sadotsu

Quote by Li-Meii just don't always capitalize. and sometimes i try to trick people into thinking that i'm not a very intelligent person. XD

Actually, it is quite funny sometimes how people directly correlate online grammar/spelling with intelligence...

Be Free and Masturbate

i rite lik dis....ya..i think i go on msn way 2 much.. though.
but it's perfectly nderstandable

zenriek

Azure Swirl

Misstypes and such are alright with me, I just don't like it when people type in that l337, or whatever.

It's fine to me as long as I can understand what you're saying.

Quote by shinsengumi

Quote by Shkira Futuregirlie has a point about all the non-native English speakers here. It's ust something to bare with.
People who overly abbreviate words piss me off. There's a few accepted ones that are always used in the "online chat" language, but people go overboard with it. For the record, I'm also against hip hop/rap music that makes rhymes by mispronouncing words.

There's an important distinction to make between occasional spelling and grammar mistakes from non-native English speakers who actually make an effort to write in English and native English speakers who simply are too lazy to form coherent sentences or to write out words in comprehensible format.
Besides, consider this. Forums exist in order to exchange ideas, to discuss topics, and to debate issues. Writing using improper grammar, incorrect spelling, and appreviations gives people an air of immaturity and carelessness, therefore indirectly making an argument presented in such format much weaker when contrasted with a well-worded, syntactically correct post. Simply stated, the latter will always seem just that much more intelligent and legitimate than the former.

However, it shouldn't be that way. That is one of the strangest ideas to me, because it is completely illogical. I can understand getting frustrated because someone's spelling is bad, (though that may or may not be their fault) but thinking the other argument is better because of correct grammar and spelling is a bit dumb. I'd listen to someone who "spellz dis way" and has a good, strong argument, rather than someone who can type properly, but whose argument is completely weak and dumb. But that's just me.

"Does he make you high? Does he make you real? Does he make you cry? Does he know the way you feel? Love is all around you; your universe is full. But in my world ... there is only you."

fireflywishes

Retired Moderator, Linguistics

fireflywishes

Calgon, take me away~!

Quote by dutchforce

Quote by sadotsu

Actually, it is quite funny sometimes how people directly correlate online grammar/spelling with intelligence...

wow, i wonder what people think my intelligence level is then? XP as long as i can understand what a person is trying to say, however they type it is fine with me. there are some things that get on my nerves, like the "your" and "you're" example used before... but what really bugs me is when people use the abbreviation "jap" instead of japanese... (i won't get into my whole rant about that though...)

Signature Image

sjolley

sjolley

A vision of annoyance

I'm an editor, so it's kind of hard for me to except the way people write in forums, AIM, and even email. I just don't understand half of it. :D

Why do you kill the joy of death?

Quote by sjolleyI'm an editor, so it's kind of hard for me to except the way people write in forums, AIM, and even email. I just don't understand half of it. :D

I hope you're being ironic with your "except" instead of "accept" :D

Be Free and Masturbate

I use decent English

SebastianvonKane

SebastianvonKane

Omniversal lone traveler

Decent english. There is no other way.
I'm spanish speaker, but also know english and japanese (lately not so much), and even "sindarin" (for those fans of "The Silmarillion").
This has lowered my popularity level, but I don't care, thus an excellent communication is priceless.
Decent english and that's it.
OK

"You have a job to do, and so do I. Yours is to sell socks and suspenders. Mine is to cross-examine people like you and crush them".

shinsengumi

Retired Moderator

shinsengumi

. . . remember me?

Quote by Anti-matter

Quote by shinsengumi

Quote by Shkira Futuregirlie has a point about all the non-native English speakers here. It's ust something to bare with. People who overly abbreviate words piss me off. There's a few accepted ones that are always used in the "online chat" language, but people go overboard with it. For the record, I'm also against hip hop/rap music that makes rhymes by mispronouncing words.

There's an important distinction to make between occasional spelling and grammar mistakes from non-native English speakers who actually make an effort to write in English and native English speakers who simply are too lazy to form coherent sentences or to write out words in comprehensible format. Besides, consider this. Forums exist in order to exchange ideas, to discuss topics, and to debate issues. Writing using improper grammar, incorrect spelling, and appreviations gives people an air of immaturity and carelessness, therefore indirectly making an argument presented in such format much weaker when contrasted with a well-worded, syntactically correct post. Simply stated, the latter will always seem just that much more intelligent and legitimate than the former.

However, it shouldn't be that way. That is one of the strangest ideas to me, because it is completely illogical. I can understand getting frustrated because someone's spelling is bad, (though that may or may not be their fault) but thinking the other argument is better because of correct grammar and spelling is a bit dumb. I'd listen to someone who "spellz dis way" and has a good, strong argument, rather than someone who can type properly, but whose argument is completely weak and dumb. But that's just me.

It is most certainly not illogical. When presenting an argument, content is actually not as important as presentation, and when the medium being used is the written word, spelling and grammar are most certainly key to getting your point across effectively.

Take a look, for example, at this review that was recently submitted: http://reviews.minitokyo.net/544/inu-yasha/ . The overuse and misuse of ellipses by the user gave this reader a terirble headache by the time he reached the end of the text, and therefore rendered the review much less effective at pushing across its point than would a review pushing forward the same views but worded in a grammatically and syntactically-correct format.

Let me put it another way. If I had read the hypothetical grammatically-correct review I would have been imparted with a new perspective on a popular anime series. Having read the actual review, I did not leave with the same enlightenment; rather, I ended up with a sense of utter revulsion for the review itself and a predisposition against any future works submitted by that same reviewer.

Again, illogical or not, presentation is perhaps the most important means of persuasion. The merits of the content of an argument are irrelevant if the presentation serves unintentionally to foment bias by an audience against either the presenter or the presentation, and tossing out the rules of grammar and spelling are an excellent means of doing just that.

Fin.

s h i n s e n g u m i
Minitokyo Policy, Forum, Review, and Category Maintenance Moderator Emeritus

Do not expect to be applauded when you do the right thing, and do not expect to be forgiven when you err, but even your enemies will respect commitment, and a conscience at peace is worth a thousand tainted victories.

i don't bother with capitalization unless i'm writing something i have to turn in or writitng something for myself. however, spelling does bother me sometimes because it can jumble the meaning of what someone is trying to say.

"SING like no one's listening, DANCE like no one's watching, LOVE like you've never been hurt."

gash

wad do u want?

well... its not like i dun like to use decent english but its jux sorta becum a habit to type like dis online... but its a different story in sch aniwae...><

:: [B]iRth oF neU [h]0pe ' aN [a]NGeL's FirST [d]EScenD ::

ElectricPhantasm

ElectricPhantasm

Nice to meet you .!.. (>_<) ..!.

Quote by shinsengumi

Quote by Anti-matter

Quote by shinsengumi

Quote by Shkira Futuregirlie has a
point about all the non-native English speakers here. It's ust
something to bare with. People who overly abbreviate words piss me off.
There's a few accepted ones that are always used in the "online chat"
language, but people go overboard with it. For the record, I'm also
against hip hop/rap music that makes rhymes by mispronouncing
words.

There's an important distinction to make between
occasional spelling and grammar mistakes from non-native English
speakers who actually make an effort to write in English and native
English speakers who simply are too lazy to form coherent sentences or
to write out words in comprehensible format. Besides, consider this.
Forums exist in order to exchange ideas, to discuss topics, and to
debate issues. Writing using improper grammar, incorrect spelling, and
appreviations gives people an air of immaturity and carelessness,
therefore indirectly making an argument presented in such format much
weaker when contrasted with a well-worded, syntactically correct post.
Simply stated, the latter will always seem just that much more
intelligent and legitimate than the former.

However, it
shouldn't be that way. That is one of the strangest ideas to me,
because it is completely illogical. I can understand getting frustrated
because someone's spelling is bad, (though that may or may not be their
fault) but thinking the other argument is better because of correct
grammar and spelling is a bit dumb. I'd listen to someone who "spellz
dis way" and has a good, strong argument, rather than someone who can
type properly, but whose argument is completely weak and dumb. But
that's just me.

It is most certainly not illogical. When
presenting an argument, content is actually not as important as
presentation, and when the medium being used is the written word,
spelling and grammar are most certainly key to getting your point
across effectively.
Take a look, for example, at this review that was recently submitted:
http://reviews.minitokyo.net/544/inu-yasha/ . The overuse and misuse of
ellipses by the user gave this reader a terirble headache by the time
he reached the end of the text, and therefore rendered the review much
less effective at pushing across its point than would a review pushing
forward the same views but worded in a grammatically and
syntactically-correct format. Let me put it another way. If I had read
the hypothetical grammatically-correct review I would have been
imparted with a new perspective on a popular anime series. Having read
the actual review, I did not leave with the same enlightenment; rather,
I ended up with a sense of utter revulsion for the review itself and a
predisposition against any future works submitted by that same
reviewer.
Again, illogical or not, presentation is perhaps the most important
means of persuasion. The merits of the content of an argument are
irrelevant if the presentation serves unintentionally to foment bias by
an audience against either the presenter or the presentation, and
tossing out the rules of grammar and spelling are an excellent means of
doing just that.
Fin.

It's true that clarity plays a big role in transmitting the meaning of one's argument, I'm sure Anti-matter understands that. I think Anti-matter was just trying to say that grammar and spelling shouldn't overshadow the importance of a message's meaning.

For example, if somebody comes along and says, "Women belong in the household, they are far inferior to men!", then someone else comes and says, "i tink dat womans and mans should be treeted as ekuals!!!!!11", who would you find to have the better idea, the writer with the correct grammar or the writer with the sloppy grammar? Just because somebody's grammar sucks doesn't mean that their point shouldn't be taken seriously.

I hate it when people can't type out "you", "are", or words like that. I'm not expecting everyone to master the English language, or have perfect grammar, but when you know you're misspelling a word, at least look it up at dictionary.com and take the time to spell it correctly. I was on a lyrics site the other day and someone wrote something along the lines of "instamentul (i kno i didnt spell that rite)". What the hell? I use abbreviations sometimes... I use "wtf" and "wth" and a few others, I'll occasionally even use "lol". Those don't bother me near as much as misspellings. However, on the capitalization errors... I don't mind those at all. I usually don't capitalize what I type, especially if it's in an IM. If I'm typing at a forum or in a guestbook or something though, I try and use it.

kawaiiguy

kawaiiguy

Objective reviewer

Quote by ElectricPhantasm
It's true that clarity plays a big role in transmitting the meaning of
one's argument, I'm sure Anti-matter understands that. I think
Anti-matter was just trying to say that grammar and spelling shouldn't
overshadow the importance of a message's meaning.
For example, if somebody comes along and says, "Women belong in the
household, they are far inferior to men!", then someone else comes and
says, "i tink dat womans and mans should be treeted as ekuals!!!!!11",
who would you find to have the better idea, the writer with the correct
grammar or the writer with the sloppy grammar? Just because somebody's
grammar sucks doesn't mean that their point shouldn't be taken
seriously.

*kills nested quotes*

Point well taken, but I wouldn't suggest that poor writing means poor argument. However, poor writing does reflect on the writer's personality (and possibly intelligence). Suppose you received an email from a tech support provider that was written extremely poorly. At first glance, would you necessarily trust this person with solving your problem? The content may be correct, but it may be written in such a way that causes the meaning to get jumbled and possibly misunderstood.

In any sort of argument, I've always felt the need to pass myself off as "intelligent," or at least make the other parties think I know what I'm talking about. Initial impressions go a long way, as long as the person has the material to back him/herself up. Sometimes backup material isn't even completely necessary. Just look at politics ;)

Signature Image

.:Administrator and contributer of the Minitokyo-review::Proud helper of Chaos-Cross - Help make MT a better place!:.

well, I don't have the greatest english ever, but I try... but no way hiding that I also have |\/|4[) L337 5|<!ll2

page 3 of 3 « Previous 1 2 3 71 total items

Back to Love, Friends & Family | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.