Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Misguided Favorites - Minitokyo

Misguided Favorites

page 1 of 1 14 total items

gendo1

gendo1

LP Fan / Wall Critic

I imagine I'll get some lash back from some of the MT community because I'll be pointing out a way people have been leveling up, but I can't stand anymore of it.

I have had numerous walls that are delted because I didn't do enough work on the actual wall or a similar situation. I accept this and move on, knowing that MT can't possibly hold all the things I want to post. So I narrow it down to my best and try my hardest to put up what I feel is my best.

The only problem is, I see everyone else my level or lower doing the opposite. The worst part is, they are getting move favorites/attention for walls that are really just scans than I am getting for my 4+ hours of work on one wall. Now normally I would go and send a PM to a gallery mod like everyone else. Only problem is there are too many of these 'lame' walls to report! (no one likes a flooded inbox). In coorelation with this post I will be deleting my most favorited wall - "Winter of the Bunny" because it is all just a scan with some level adjustments and blurs. Not even a real wall.

Another huge problem with this flooding of walls is that all the walls that people spend hours on making are taken off the site's main page within minutes and pushed back by walls with 3 colors and a pretty scan.

To fix this problem I suggest we do something like a number of hours or a time incorporating system into the submission process. Like a question who's answer will be displayed on the wall's web page. This will let people know just how long you spent on something, and hopefully show that some of us spend just a little more time to share our creativity and imagination with the community.

Thank you.

Signature

MistressPookyChan

MistressPookyChan

I bwee, therefore I am.

Time is relative, so it's hard to say that. I could spend 5 hours or one month on the same wallpaper, depending on how busy I am, if I have to search for a scan, if I have to do recoloring, etc etc. There are too many factors to go into that. I think there are more important things to look at in a wallpaper than how much time was spent on it.

Signature Image
-----| feeling : blah. | UserPage V1 : RO Succubus in pink | Latest Creation (BLEACH) |-----
Groups: Oldsters (a) - Nippon Foods (a) - Widescreen-Wallers (a) - Japanese (m)

Tama-Neko

Tama-Neko

Invisible

It's far too easy to lie on that sort of thing; anyone could just say they put in 5 hours in a little box regardless of the actual time spent on a wallpaper. For myself, I never keep track because I work on wallpapers a little bit at a time - an hour here, an hour there - it's easy to loose track so I never try to keep track in the first place.
If you see 'lame' walls, then click on the report button. That's what the report button is for.

suntiger

suntiger

.::Angel of Chaos::.

wow I thought I was the only one who felt that way. To be honest, I've lost all faith in MTs walling department as of lately. I still post dont get me wrong.. I just dont really beleive in it anymore..

I log in here to only find low res (1024x768) wallpapers that are just a space backgrounds + glitter brushes + a pretty girl on the Todays Favored Submissions. Its a real dissapointment to what that area once be. It used to feature the best of the best.. no offense to those of you who who made it up there with 1024x768 wallpapers.

I've also noticed that by the number of wallpapers submitted, other wallpapers get pushed back in a matter of hours, sometimes not even that long. The only real way to find a wallpaper you know was done by a real waller, is to friend them and wait for a little notification to pop up. Thats just too time consuming.

I think you shouldnt be allowed to place a wallpaper up unless its 1152x864 and above. In decent quality (so we know they didnt blow it up). Thats just my opinion/idea to fix this issue. Its obvious that real wallers start off in higher resolutions for the majority of their fans.

Or perhaps limit 1 wallpaper per person a day to be uploaded. I remember Anime Online used to have a mod 'Accept' a wallpaper before it was displayed, but those are jurrastic measures..

The time idea was nice, but its not very effective like the others said. As of lately I've been doing a TON of editing on original scans. I've spent up to 20+ hours on my last project alone. If I wanted to I could just slap that on a gradiant background with a few small dot brushes and call them stars. Oh, but because I did 20 hours on the scan, its ok right? Heh, see what we're getting at?

kawaiiguy

kawaiiguy

Objective reviewer

I've recenly wondered about what the favorites feature is really supposed to be for. I've been uploading scans recently and I noticed that as soon as it hits the forum, someone (usually the same person) will add it to their favorites. While it's nice to see people actually browsing, it sets off a little flag in my brain wondering if that's what the favorites feature is really supposed to be for.

Is "favorite spamming" really acceptable and is it really common practice? What is the favorites feature supposed to be for? Is it supposed to be for someone to click on so they can give points to an uploader, or is it something that should only be clicked if you genuinely liked what you saw?

Signature Image

.:Administrator and contributer of the Minitokyo-review::Proud helper of Chaos-Cross - Help make MT a better place!:.

suntiger

suntiger

Quote by kawaiiguyI've recenly wondered about what the favorites feature is really
supposed to be for. I've been uploading scans recently and I noticed
that as soon as it hits the forum, someone (usually the same person)
will add it to their favorites. While it's nice to see people actually
browsing, it sets off a little flag in my brain wondering if that's
what the favorites feature is really supposed to be for.
Is "favorite spamming" really acceptable and is it really common
practice? What is the favorites feature supposed to be for? Is it
supposed to be for someone to click on so they can give points to an
uploader, or is it something that should only be clicked if you
genuinely liked what you saw?

its supposed to be for when you like something you see. Most people will just notice you suddenly and browse your category for anything. If they like some things they're favorite it. Others have a different ideas of favoriting. Some have high standards, some have low standards.. just depends on how picky you are..

Jim3535

Jim3535

Shinigami

I always thought favorites should be for wallpapers that are well above average or stick out as being really well done. Sometimes these are more advanced impressive looking walls, and sometimes they are simple with few effects. I only fav walls that I feel are really well done and have caught my eye through the blizzard of walls posted every day. I have to admit that I have not given them to many walls that deserved it simply because the site load[s|ed] so slow that the extra page load was too much.

It seems that many people hand out favorites far too easily for my taste. Everybody is entitled to their opinion, but votes of people like me are far overshadowed by the people who flood the site with favorites.

Maybe, just maybe, if enough of us post about things, someone will listen.

Signature Image

euna

Retired Moderator

euna

i know what you mean and it does get frustrating sometimes when you see really crappy walls get up there >___<
but i have to say that tama's got a good point.
it's too easy to lie about things like hours spent ^^
and the number of lame walls? there are so many of them, if you report too many, the mods will probably ban you j/k j/k j/k >________<
but do use it if you see really bad walls (i've seen horrible walls last week... worst quality works i've seen in my life ^^)

Celessa

Retired Moderator

Celessa

Okaerinasai - Welcome Home

Quote by gendo1I imagine I'll get some lash back from some of the MT community because
I'll be pointing out a way people have been leveling up, but I can't
stand anymore of it.

But you carry out a very likely general point, and its very good to consider on the table. I too know what you mean, and I mock the walls in general themselves. They to me, overall - are "lower" than average in my opinion [being a picky member that I am over here], but there are some great ones being sent in as well, so it's not at all that bad in every case. You just have to acknowledge them, which I'm sure many already have done so in the past. I'm just stating here that I've seen the same things you've seen as well. I'm not surprised at all, actually - that this type of topic would be pointed out in the general public. It has existed for quite some time now.

Quote by gendo1The only problem is, I see everyone else my level or lower doing the
opposite. The worst part is, they are getting move favorites/attention
for walls that are really just scans than I am getting for my 4+ hours
of work on one wall.

Why not flood a good wall with 9 terrible wall submissions in half an hour? It's funny, really. The walls move in such a lightning quick pace, that everyone won't be able to keep up with your own. That's where they resort to their "friends" in their notifications pile and the whole situation rolls over again - which would be one possible explaination / reason to why their walls might be getting more favs. than your own. It's frustrating - I know, but there's not much you can do about it really [other than report, etc.].

Quote by Jim3535It seems that many people hand out favorites far too easily for my
taste. Everybody is entitled to their opinion, but votes of people like
me are far overshadowed by the people who flood the site with
favorites.

Once again, I'm not surprised by what's being said here, but I know what you mean for sure. Some members tend to be like that, which is why I find the quality = favorites system kind of awkward at times. It does not measure how great an image is as a whole, but also what the general public likes, and the general sometimes overlook what's great, and what isn't, really, which can be quite troublesome, and doesn't measure the effort being put in that well. Unfortunately, the mass of the public outweighs those who decisively choose their favorites, and yes - it definitely does grow a bad vibe, especially as of late, but there's not much that can be done at the end, like I stated from above. Basically, the damage has already been done. The public also forms the community as a whole, so take what privileges they have right away, and well - you'll know what happens. I'll hate to admit it, but the general community right now is an utter and complete disappointment. I'm not going to deny it, of course. No offense, but they're just a bunch of wreckless kids roaming around.

"No matter where you go, no matter how tough life may be, just remember that always in your heart, you will still be loved."

Signature

suntiger

suntiger

heh I agree with everything you said Celessa, its just really disappointing to know we can do anything about it.

So far we've only gotten a few ideas, and the most sensible one seems to be the most time consuming (the report option). When the scans here started getting out of line (low sizes and bad quality), the admins/mods increased the minimum size and it seems to fix most of the scans (some people still submit in low quality scans by blowing them up to the min size needed). Although it does have that fault, its part of the reason why I suggested to make wallpaper submissions a min size of 1152x864. But thinking about it, that wont solve the problem much at all.

I've mentioned this before but the majority of favored wallpapers are often female scans (that do not belong to an anime series or a low popular series) posted on some type of scenery background with a few good brushes. Be it space wallpaper, trees and stars, a stock photo, etc.

Hmm.. I wonder. Would it be too hard/server constraining to change up the front of MT a bit? Theres usually 9 most recent wallpapers followed by 6 most favored wallpapers. If you could take one row to 1152x864 and lower wallpapers plus scans, a row to 1280x960-1280x1024, and another row to 1600x1200? I also mentioned before that most good/decent/hard working wallers make higher res sizes, this would just simply leave those wallpapers up longer and let all the 1024x768 wallpapers come and go in its own row. 3 to each on the recent submissions, and 2 to each on the faves?

(just throwing ideas around because this really urks me)

Have you ever been to animeonline.net?
When you submit something there, it wont get added until it is approved by mods or the admin.
All the mods and the admin here on MT have lives outside of MT, they dont stay home all day approving things...thats why ppl submit it and they have reports and mods that go through files...

if you ever go on Animeonline.net....its different..you have to wait basiclly days just to see your entry on the site...
trust me...the MT way is better -.-

gendo1

gendo1

LP Fan / Wall Critic

While there is no way to completely ensure that everyone's time and work are not seen by all, I encourage everyone to look at least at the first page of most recently submitted anime walls. If we can't put a page of most recent walls on the main page, it's not too much to ask that some of those thousands of MT users check out why MT is what it is. Props again to Sheqel for doing such a great job on mT. Check out why he put it up here, and find your hentai library elsewhere :-D

Signature

calisqo

calisqo

::RERAITO::

INteresting suggestion, but in the end it all comes down to quality i think.
No matter how much time u spent on it, without quality it's still a waste.
So i thefore i think it's vital to see the full view, often these walls, are really nice on the small view, the fullview says otherwise -_-

But then again Gendo, if u see any kind of walls, that u think , does not meet MT standard u should report it. We all will benefit from it, too many good submissions being washed away because of that -_-, back in the day i first joine MT, i can guarantee myself to download 1 good wallpaper (at least) per day. Now days , prob only 1 in a month -_-

And about the flooding, I really think , wall submission should be limited to 1 a week at least, way too many walls coming from one member alone in a week , >.> sometimes 5 in a day 0-0 that's just too many -_-. This happened recently and almost every months.
Well that's my opinion.

Eve

Eve

-Witch Baby-

Many of you suggested that there should be a limit to submitting walls, like once a week. But I kind of find that a bad idea considering the various reasons people might have. I won't name them, so use your imagination.

Anywayz, under the highlighted submissions category are the"cheap" walls you all mentioned. It's all been inaccurately determined by the number of faves and friends on your friends list. If MT is an anime art community like it said, then we are being heavily bombarded by certain people with tasteless choices or selfish needs (ex. so they can have even more friends on their list).

I have one idea, but I'm not sure if it's a good or bad one.

Why not have a group of five or six people, to look over the recent walls with the most faves, and pick and choose which are higher quality or not. And for that matter, one of the mods can pick a random image from any category and say "Look, a diamond in the rough", similar to deviantart.

I know it may be time consuming, but it was just an idea. Not everyone has time to browse everywhere for a good wall, and highlighted submissions are the ones that supposedly hold the favorites.

Signature Image
And I....silently, I scream. .. inside I barely breathe...
(signature cannot be longer than 4 lines)

page 1 of 1 14 total items

Back to Minitokyo Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.