Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Harddisk VS CD+DVD-RW Burner - Minitokyo

Harddisk VS CD+DVD-RW Burner

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 47 total items

Lunstar

Lunstar

Formatted...and learning

I am struck in between choosing an cd+dvd-rw burner and a harddisk drive for my com and I m not really familiar with these stuff can anyone with experience on these help me by stating the advantages n disadvantages etc...

Appreciate Help

Assuming you already have a large enough drive (80gb+) and are willing to burn off excess files to DVDs (to gain more space on the HD), a DVD burner is the sensible way to go.

Regards.

Lunstar

Lunstar

Formatted...and learning

N if I onli have a 40gb one?

How much free space have you currently got on your harddrive? Can you afford to burn off some files (eg. anime episodes) to DVDs to gain extra space? If so, a DVD burner remains the more flexible choice. You may not get as much Gigabyte for your dollar as you would by buying a harddrive, but you have the advantage of being able to back-up your files and many others.

Regards.

Lunstar

Lunstar

Formatted...and learning

About 3.5+gb I have a lot of stuff I wanna burn actually anime etc but when I tell my friends i wan a dvd-burner they keep saying a hd is more worth...

In terms of reliability, files stored on DvD last longer Rite?

If you keep the DVDs in a cool, dry and sheltered-from-sunlight place, they will last longer than any HDs and probably yourself. Current HDs are as reliable as they come (esp. those from Seagate - speaking from experience), but as with all things mechanical, they are still subject to wear and tear.

If I were in your position, I would personally go for a DVD burner. More flexible and useful in the long run.

Regards.

Lunstar

Lunstar

Formatted...and learning

hmm...Does a dvd burner cost more than a HD?

Quote by LunstarIn terms of reliability, files stored on DvD last longer Rite?

When you burn something on DVD you can't format or destroy it so easily as it is possible with HDD. And remember to use some decent DVD discs (Verbatim etc), not the cheapest ones (eg I used 5 Dysans which were two times cheaper, on 3 of them the last 400 MB was impossible to read...).

If you have a lot of stuff to burn (about 20gb), then a dvd recorder is the best choice. You can free some space on hdd, download new anime and burn it again.

Lunstar

Lunstar

Formatted...and learning

yeah I heard the expensive one have a special coating 2 prevent data lost, but u have not answered my qn on cost? (My Apologies if i sound like making demands)

Quote by Lunstarhmm...Does a dvd burner cost more than a HD?

You should do your own price search. Start here for local prices.

Cheers!

Lunstar

Lunstar

Formatted...and learning

Hmm.. i have been 2 that site b4, problem is I dun noe wat the terms mean... -.- Dual Format all that stuff...I have no idea wat they mean

As a rough guide, DVD burners fall within the price range of 120-160 GB HDs. Prices vary with different brands, of course.

Lunstar

Lunstar

Formatted...and learning

hmm...can u reconmend a gd and affordable brand? I m not very familiar with these stuff..

Sony and Plextor make excellent drives. Other good manufacturers include Lite-on, Samsung and TDK. I would avoid anything by LG - never found any of their products to be of satisfactory standard.

Regards.

Lunstar

Lunstar

Formatted...and learning

hmm Sony and Samsung sound most familiar 2 me. I will keep these in mind. Thanks 4 all yr help anyway!! I think i hav a better idea of these stuff

PS:I created this thread long ago but no one replied n yr the one n onli so a very big thank YOU 2 U!!! See ya around ^-^

hiddensnakehands

hiddensnakehands

Captain Obvious

i think it depends on what you want to backup, i would say it is bettter to backup animes n stuff on a dvd

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

Lunstar

Lunstar

Formatted...and learning

Yeah that's wat I wanna backup and the initial cause of my space shortage in the 1st place

Jim3535

Jim3535

Shinigami

In my experience DVDs are more stable and long lasting than HDDs. Hard drives tend to fail without warning when you least expect them to.

DVD burners are also cheaper than hard drives. You can easily get a dual format double layer burner for about $50. Discs can be had for about 20-50 cents per disc depending on what brand you want to buy. That's 4.3 - 10.6 cents per GB for DVD media storage vs ~50 cents per GB for HDD storage if you find a decent deal.

I often buy discs from http://meritline.com/ ; you can also look for cheap burners on http://www.pricewatch.com/ .

Signature Image

Lunstar

Lunstar

Formatted...and learning

Wow u noe a lot... I thought they were at least $100+ dollars and disks were that cheap!!! U still gave calculation-liked figures

Quote by Jim3535In my experience DVDs are more stable and long lasting than HDDs. Hard drives tend to fail without warning when you least expect them to.
DVD burners are also cheaper than hard drives. You can easily get a dual format double layer burner for about $50. Discs can be had for about 20-50 cents per disc depending on what brand you want to buy. That's 4.3 - 10.6 cents per GB for DVD media storage vs ~50 cents per GB for HDD storage if you find a decent deal.
I often buy discs from http://meritline.com/ ; you can also look for cheap burners on http://www.pricewatch.com/ .

Fail without warning wat is that supposed 2 mean?
So if my disk is about 3yrs old is it about time 2 change it or should i get a burner?
(Damn i reali am confused)

kawaiiguy

kawaiiguy

Objective reviewer

It all depends on what your computing habbits are. If you're a packrat, a dvd+/-rw might be a good choice. You can archive data to disks and store them somewhere for later use. However, if you have a large amount of data that you constantly access (like music), then a second hard drive might not be such a bad idea. I have both a burner and a secondary storage drive.

Both pieces of hardware aren't too expensive these days, a burner will run under $50 while a hard drive will cost about $100 depending on capacity. If you're looking for good prices without rebat hassle, I'd recomend NewEgg. Sometimes you can find a good deal on hard drives in your local tech store circulars. Most of these come with rebates and tax though...

Signature Image

.:Administrator and contributer of the Minitokyo-review::Proud helper of Chaos-Cross - Help make MT a better place!:.

hiddensnakehands

hiddensnakehands

Captain Obvious

Quote: If you're a packrat, a dvd+/-rw might be a good choice

that is exactly right

also you might try slickdeals, recommended HDD companies are seagate, they are the best in my opinion, just a few days ago, they have 300 gb for sale for like 120

and i just checked slickdeals, they have verbatim(very good in my opinion) dvd+r discs 100pk for sale for about 30 dollars with freeshipping

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

Lunstar

Lunstar

Formatted...and learning

300gd i wonder if i can actually use up that much space...Wow stuff are unreasonably cheap on the Newegg site. Those prices of lightyears from wat i had expected. I think i m more of a packrat currently... (Damn both seem so tempting)

wuuuuuu. I dream to hav a DvD burner so tt i can burn out all my anime tt i wan to store instead of burning them to CD-R.hahaha i'm going to look for one...~

kawaiiguy

kawaiiguy

Objective reviewer

Quote by Lunstar300gd i wonder if i can actually use up that much space...Wow stuff are
unreasonably cheap on the Newegg site. Those prices of lightyears from
wat i had expected. I think i m more of a packrat currently... (Damn
both seem so tempting)

I <3 Newegg. Shipping is usually pretty fast, as they have a good number of warehouses. If you do go with a DVD burner, I'd advise you to reserach media before buying some kinds online. Some of the really cheap types are low quality and will degrade extremely quickly or lead to a high coastering rate.

My main computer has a 37 gig boot drive and an 80 gig secondary (I need to clean it off at some point...) My server has over 500 gigs of total space: 40 gig boot, 180 gig, 250 gig, and 80 gig.

Signature Image

.:Administrator and contributer of the Minitokyo-review::Proud helper of Chaos-Cross - Help make MT a better place!:.

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 47 total items

Back to Computers & Internet | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.