Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Harddisk VS CD+DVD-RW Burner - Minitokyo

Harddisk VS CD+DVD-RW Burner

page 2 of 2 « Previous 1 2 47 total items

Lunstar

Lunstar

Formatted...and learning

... @-@ wow!! U have a freakin lot of space n i guess i will go 4 quality cause there's no point buying one which will spoil so quickly can u reconmend some gd brands 4 HDD n burners?

(grateful 4 help)

Jim3535

Jim3535

Shinigami

Quote by LunstarFail without warning wat is that supposed 2 mean?
So if my disk is about 3yrs old is it about time 2 change it or should
i get a burner?
(Damn i reali am confused)

It means that the firs sign of trouble with a hard drive can be that it's completely useless. When hard drives fail, they tend to die very quickly and it's normally too late to salvage data. Sometimes you get lucky and you can see a trend of developing bad sectors or smart warnings.

i would recommend backing up your data on a regualr basis.

Signature Image

Lunstar

Lunstar

Formatted...and learning

...0.0 I think i better get either one fast 2 backup my data...

Quote by Lunstarhmm Sony and Samsung sound most familiar 2 me. I will keep these in
mind. Thanks 4 all yr help anyway!! I think i hav a better idea of
these stuff
PS:I created this thread long ago but no one replied n yr the one n
onli so a very big thank YOU 2 U!!! See ya around ^-^

I'm happy to have been of help.

Just to re-state my opinion. When funds permit, you can get an additional HD in the future. However, as it stands now, you are better off with a DVD burner (any of the brands I recommended are fine).

Seeing that you are in Singapore, visit SimLimSquare for your tech deals. Prices are some of the lowest in the asian region, so no worries about over-priced stuff. Forget about shipping from overseas (like Newegg), since you will end up paying more due to shipping cost. Not to mention you will have to wait for the item(s) to arrive.

Regards.

Lunstar

Lunstar

Formatted...and learning

Quote by Enchanter

Quote by Lunstarhmm Sony and Samsung sound most familiar 2 me. I will keep these in
mind. Thanks 4 all yr help anyway!! I think i hav a better idea ofthese stuff
PS:I created this thread long ago but no one replied n yr the one n
onli so a very big thank YOU 2 U!!! See ya around ^-^

I'm happy to have been of help.
Just to re-state my opinion. When funds permit, you can get an additional HD in the future. However, as it stands now, you are better off with a DVD burner (any of the brands I recommended are fine).
Seeing that you are in Singapore, visit SimLimSquare for your tech deals. Prices are some of the lowest in the asian region, so no worries about over-priced stuff. Forget about shipping from overseas (like Newegg), since you will end up paying more due to shipping cost. Not to mention you will have to wait for the item(s) to arrive.
Regards.

hmm.... I never knew SimLimSquare was that famous... anyway thanks 4 yr help all this while!!! ^-^
One final qn about burners, there is something known as burning error right? When the data is burnt incorrectly or something do u noe why it happens n what are the chance of the error 4 DvD burners

Quote by Lunstarhmm.... I never knew SimLimSquare was that famous...
anyway thanks 4 yr help all this while!!! ^-^

I took my 'o' level in Singapore years before, so naturally I know a thing or two about the sunny island. Not to mention I still make the occasional visits there.

Anyway, do let us know how you went on. I can't imagine any products that will disappoint you, but it's always interesting to know what you are getting anyway. :)

Regards.

Lunstar

Lunstar

Formatted...and learning

I see, i found it kinda strange for one living in Australia 2 noe about the place. So u were once a foreign student here... I actually kinda surprized haha.. Actually if they were summer holidaes here ppl would not have 2 go 2 school at all, too bad there are't. N i will be sure 2 let u noe of how things went. I think i will drop by SimLimSquare one of these days, n i hope i dun get cheated by the Indian men (My friends told me that there were Indian men who overprice things)

finalruin

right stuff?

anime's on dvds are the best bet
if you're a regular watcher, most probably you'll run up to almost a few hundreds of Gbs worth of anime, and you can make as many backups of your favourite anime as you want
as for brands, personally i'm using a sony drive, and it's super fast at reading, writing is very, very satisfactory. i would also recommend benq or lite-on drives

hiddensnakehands

hiddensnakehands

Captain Obvious

yean anime on dvd would be good, unless it is some animes that it is a mustkeep, like Naruto or FMA, but even so, u should have a backup copy in dvd,
i got a 200 gb hd with 40gb of boot and rest anime+movies+games stuff+program files, etc.

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

Lunstar

Lunstar

Formatted...and learning

Look like most of u guys also feel that a DvD burner is better 4 backup my anime files...I think i should get one soon n I thank everyone who participated in this thread

Many Thanks guys!!! Seeya Around MT Wish me luck!!

kawaiiguy

kawaiiguy

Objective reviewer

Quote by Lunstar... @-@ wow!! U have a freakin lot of space n i guess i will go 4
quality cause there's no point buying one which will spoil so quickly
can u reconmend some gd brands 4 HDD n burners?
(grateful 4 help)

From experience, there really isn't a hard drive company that is better than the others. Some people say they've only had Western Digital drives fail and have no problems with Maxtors. Others say the opposite. Some people stand by Seagate. In my experience, I've owned at least one of each of the major brands (Western Digital, Maxtor, Seagate, Hitachi). So far, the only brand that hasn't failed is the Hitachi *knock on wood*. One of my Seagate's started going after about three years (just as the warranty was expiring), and I've had WDs and Maxtors die withing six months of purchase. I've also had WDs and Maxtors last the entire length of the warranty period and then die.

It's all a matter of personal opinion, I think. Some drives are better than others, but at that point, you're no longer looking for capacity. I have a Western Digital Raptor. It's a performance drive (10k RPM sata). It cost me around $125. It has 37 gigs worth of storage. It cost more than most of my other high capacity hard drives.

As for DVD burners, again, it's up to personal preference these days. The only ones you may want to steer clear from are the absolute bargain bin ones. Those might not be so good. I've owned two NEC burners, as well as a Sony. They're about the same. I don't take benchmarks of them, so I can't tell if one is "better" than the other. The all burned disks at a decent rate. I usually leave my room and do something else while the disk is going. My NEC 3510 was about $50 on Newegg.

Best of luck to you on shopping. Let us know if you run into problems!

Signature Image

.:Administrator and contributer of the Minitokyo-review::Proud helper of Chaos-Cross - Help make MT a better place!:.

Rizy123

Rizy123

*AM active now, msg me baby ;)*

Hey I was thinking the exact of the exact same thing!

I have lotsa media files that I want to store since my harddrive now is getting cluttered..
I was wondering if anyone knew any sites which deliver to the UK for DVD burners or DVD discs??? :)

Oh good luck finding ya dvd burners Lunstar (hehe message me with the one ya get and how ya get on? :))

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

Lunstar

Lunstar

Formatted...and learning

Yeah :) , i'll be sure to let u guys noe wat i get, but i m rather busy these few days x_x so it may take some time cause i also wanna consult my uncle who's computer engineer (he may give some soundful advice) but i dun c him veri often so pls be patient till then n thanks 4 partcipating in my thread.

kawaiiguy

kawaiiguy

Objective reviewer

Quote by LunstarYeah :) , i'll be sure to let u guys noe wat i get, but i m rather busy
these few days x_x so it may take some time cause i also wanna consult
my uncle who's computer engineer (he may give some soundful advice) but
i dun c him veri often so pls be patient till then n thanks 4
partcipating in my thread.

Helpful hint... Computer Engineers don't necessarily know much about computers ;) I know plenty of ECEs that are fairly computer illiterate, even thoug they're decent at programming and operating unix. It doesn't mean they can build or pick out hardware.

Not to say your uncle isn't one that can... I'm an ECE and I can do all this stuff. It's more of a hobby than anything else ;)

Signature Image

.:Administrator and contributer of the Minitokyo-review::Proud helper of Chaos-Cross - Help make MT a better place!:.

Lunstar

Lunstar

Formatted...and learning

Quote by kawaiiguy

Quote by LunstarYeah :) , i'll be sure to let u guys noe wat i get, but i m rather busy
these few days x_x so it may take some time cause i also wanna consult
my uncle who's computer engineer (he may give some soundful advice) but
i dun c him veri often so pls be patient till then n thanks 4
partcipating in my thread.

Helpful hint... Computer Engineers don't necessarily know much about computers ;) I know plenty of ECEs that are fairly computer illiterate, even thoug they're decent at programming and operating unix. It doesn't mean they can build or pick out hardware.
Not to say your uncle isn't one that can... I'm an ECE and I can do all this stuff. It's more of a hobby than anything else ;)

Sorry been rather busy these few days so little time to vist, well i m not sure wat my uncle's speciality is but i hope he will be able 2 help he helped me fix my com several times n build my 1st 4 me. I will post again when i meet him for advice, thanks 4 yr concern

price of the go are near the samen beetwin cd/dvd and hard disk
After it s your choice, i like have all my anime directly on my PC (that s why i have a lot of hd (over 600go)

Unificateur de la sainte creation
Signature
^^ french-tribu ^^

ThePanda

ThePanda

Muffin Bucket

A lot of people favor burning stuff off rather than keeping it on their hard drives, but when you have a large collection, this can be a burden later on. I share and fserve all the anime I have, and while it isn't much, it would be a pain in the arse to have to look through an archive of dvds to find what I'm looking for. In my opinion, the more hard drives you have, the better. Another major disadvantage to DVD media is that standards are changing. Dual layer discs are on the market, but they're VERY expensive. A standard dvd+/- R might not have the capacity to store an entire series of 24+ episodes (especially if they're of the .mkv, .ogm, or other high-quality rip/encode flavor).

Signature

Well I prefer having the HDD, since it can have more uses after that. Although in terms of overall capacity (Provided you buy enough DVDs) you can store a lot more anime/information and continue to have access to it. The HDD is a one-time limit. It all depends on the costs of each. I'm not much for discs because I have trouble keeping track of my stuff.

Lunstar

Lunstar

Formatted...and learning

Quote by ThePandaA lot of people favor burning stuff off rather than keeping it on their hard drives, but when you have a large collection, this can be a burden later on. I share and fserve all the anime I have, and while it isn't much, it would be a pain in the arse to have to look through an archive of dvds to find what I'm looking for. In my opinion, the more hard drives you have, the better. Another major disadvantage to DVD media is that standards are changing. Dual layer discs are on the market, but they're VERY expensive. A standard dvd+/- R might not have the capacity to store an entire series of 24+ episodes (especially if they're of the .mkv, .ogm, or other high-quality rip/encode flavor).

yeah i noe its troublesome to find yr stuff in disks :D but i read in some article that among all data storage devices..flashdrive, cd etc... The harddisk has the highest chance of data lost n harddisks may just "blackout" thats the part i m rather afraid of, if my collection as pops away in a flash, i would be devastated (especially my pic collection of anime) T_T . I noe its gd about the access rates n stuff being able to store all on one disk but i m afraid to take the risk :( N sometimes i watch an anime a few times onli but wish to keep them so disk would be better in a certain sense. i will consult my uncle 1st
Thanks 4 partcipating my thread :)
PS: Can anyone tell me who is or where to get the pic 4 the cute girl used as the background in the site the one on top.. Thanks!!! :)

I agree...however.

In the long run the 130 - 250hd is more versatile....you should actually have both. You can get a Maxtor 250 SATA for about $90 on sale almost anywhere ^_^

i have 2 and an $80 awesome secondhand DVD RW...

Raid is a thing of beauty!!!!!

Kyoo69

me -> Kyo`

You should consider getting the LG gsa-4163b DVD burner. I know rather bad opinions are flowing around LG's drives, however they started to produce really good ones recently. I have this one and it's fast, very silent and records without any errors etc. It's a fairly great burner and I'm sure you'll find some opinions similar to mine about this model since it was complimented quite a bit.
Another way is going for some LiteOn recorder, because it's a good, known brand when it comes to burning, so I think they wouldn't produce crap :p
And as for the DVD-/+R's, I use the ones from TDK. It's a solid brand.

About HD's... I had a Seagate Barracuda 60GB for 4 years and it's still running great on my brothers PC atm. No funny stuff all this time, works perfectly fine. I have a Seagate Barracuda 80GB for almost a year now, works great. And I also have a WD Caviar SE 120gb for 3 months and everything is fine.
Those are the last HD's I had/have and never had problems so far with any of them. And I honestly think I won't have any. Seagate and WD are great brands for HD's and if someone had a disc of their production that died fast, it could be a defective specimen. But I guess you can say that about all other brands aswell. I had a Samsung HD once that died after a year, while my friend had one that was going for 3-4 years without one problem. I also had some problems with a Maxtor drive while another friend had one and it was working just fine. That's just how it is. Still, I personally would recommend the WD Caviar SE or WD Raptor if you have a little more cash and want the highest speed.

And I think you should actually buy both - a HD and a DVD burner. There's never 2 much room for files you know, and that way you can keep your fav anime in the pc and just burn the other ones on DVD's.

up up and away

speedfreek19

speedfreek19

Belldandy Fanboy

I have a Pioneer DVD burner, had no troubles with it yet, cept for one disk which it wouldnt read, a dvd mind u, i have a few others that are cds but they were always like that

anyway you can get a new hard drive, id recommend something 120gb and over for long term storage anyway, and keep your main hard drive free as possible with main programs and such just to keep it running at a fairly decent speed.

DVD burners are fairly cheap and are around $100 give or take $10-$20 for a decent cheap one

Signature Image

Quote by EnchanterIf you keep the DVDs in a cool, dry and sheltered-from-sunlight place, they will last longer than any HDs and probably yourself. Current HDs are as reliable as they come (esp. those from Seagate - speaking from experience), but as with all things mechanical, they are still subject to wear and tear.
If I were in your position, I would personally go for a DVD burner. More flexible and useful in the long run.
Regards.

same here.. go for a DVD burner...

page 2 of 2 « Previous 1 2 47 total items

Back to Computers & Internet | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.