Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 What make an anime good? - Minitokyo

What make an anime good?

page 1 of 1 15 total items

RainOfStars

RainOfStars

Elusive Dream

I have just finish a serie called "Soukyuu No Fafner". Not a lot of people watches it. However, I think the quality of it is even better than the gundam series.
That makes me wonder, how do we decide if an anime is good or not? In the reviews in MT, they rate it in story, art, sound, and presentation. But I don't think that is how we decide an anime's quality.

For example, Air is one of the most meaningless anime I have ever watched. It has almost no plot what so ever. But It is my all time favourite anime. Another example is Bleach and Naruto. Even though the drawing is getting better, the art work is one of the worst made ever. However, they are very popular.

I personally think a good anime is one that will influence us with its theme and ideas. It will inspire a dream or fantasy. One that will reach and stay in our memories.

Now, I am passing this question to you guys. What do you think makes an anime good?

Signature

Lunstar

Lunstar

Formatted...and learning

Some anime r watched just 4 the fun of it like Love Hina whereas they r others which tell a meaning such as Tsubasa Chroncle nFruits basket which i feel is very meaningful. Here's my opinion
-Originality plays a great role, like Naruto there is no other anime (I think) that depicts ninjas in that way with jutsus, Shaman King scores here too, an anime should have somthing never seen b4
-Creativity, no point seeing a anime which is just about wat u do everyday unless its a comedy
-Balanced Sides, nobody wants 2 c either side (if there is) winning everyday,eg. Pokemon, Team Rocket just keeps losing n the bad guys usually lose that makes it rather unbalanced
-Storyline, there's no point seeing such gd artwork if the story is crap its like just seeing gd drawings moving round. Stories should have unpredictable twists
-Humorous, every gd anime should have their funny parts n not be so serious all the time eg, Gundam Seed had hadly anything funny. Naruto n Shaman King both have their funny people, Jiraiya n Choco Lover. Fruits Basket also scores here, Ayame n Shigure. Don't overdo it through
-At least a few gd-looking people, this reali make more wanna watch
-Artwork, at least average at about Naruto's standard , people dun like looking at deformed anime Kerun Shin or something, Lupin the Third (poor char design). Detective Conan (not very gd). Do not have super unrealistic proportions 4 the female chars like chest-size etc (does not appeal 2 the young) but dun make it completely flat either (does not appeal 2 more mature viewers) Tsubasa Chronicle char design was not very gd as most ppl look too thin... Make it just right (can't think of such an anime) but Naruto was not bad.

It all depends on personal preferences actually n yr age group like some prefer lots ecchi and super unrealistic proportions...
So far the onli overral gd anime (that i have watched) that fits into the critera is Rurouni Kenshin
PS: Personally i like unrealistic proportions something like Love Hina or Ichigo 100% but not reali unrealistic as in super whatever

Personally, I think what makes a good anime is the beginning; the first episode, or the character development. If the main characters are boring, then I doubt people would want to watch the anime; even if there are a few interesting characters involved in the plot, I doubt people would want to wait for the scenes that actually have them. Another thing that makes an anime good is how the characters look, because I can pretty much guaruntee you that most of the viewers of an anime are crazy fangirls looking to go out with one character or another. And, the last thing, I think, would have to be a sense of humour that would apply to all ages. Not just sex jokes, or jokes about toy stores and pink fluff.

i dunno, right off hand i cant really think of an anime i dont like, but most every animeive seen i have on my hdd... like... 8 series.

if i had to say something, id say its the characters, their personalities and the development there of throughout the series. good voice acting and animation helps, lol. but a solid story coupled with good characters makes something great

Akaiken

Akaiken

Ike, Fin Funnel!

Of course, the story! That's the basic...

Even though animation is also considered, the story is the life of the anime so if there's no story, there's no life on anime.

Signature
Unit No. - RX-93
Unit Name - Nu Gundam

three things:
1.- good Violence
2.- some humor
3.- interesting plot.

blazinstreaks

blazinstreaks

Persocom Technician

In my opinion, good animes always have the element of unpredictibility

soujiokita

soujiokita

Super Kawaii

Hmm, I'm not really sure about this one. Well, i think a good anime needs:
1. good/original plot
2. good action
3. nice character designs(just kidding)

Signature
My LJ
currently not[/not] accepting avatar/sig/graphic requests

RetsuMatsuro

RetsuMatsuro

~*Taisa*~

It'd have to be the story. But also the characters. If you don't have good characters you won't have a good story. Because in all reality the characters are what make the story. They can't all have the same repetative background, and they can't all havet he same carboard cutout personality. It'd be way too boring. They need to have seperate personalities, and emotions.

I do not try to dance better than anyone else, I only try to dance better than myself.

I look for an interesting plot, or great character designs. Even if an anime doesn't have a great story, it can have wonderful artistic value. If it has both, then it's extreamly good. I like it if the romances in the stories are un-cliched. (as in "boy meets girl, they fall in love after many trials"). I personally, also have a penchant for anything that makes me think deeply. If it can confuse me enough to get my brain working, then it's an anime that is worthwhile to me.

Fighting for peace is like having sex for virginity.

bubbles123

bubbles123

hmmm.off daydreaming

i think anime well be good of the romance, the humor, and the character. :)

never say never,ur day will come,for ur love to arrive.
don't lose hope, every moment count
even if it sad or happiness, everything is a part of u.

HCTerrorist

HCTerrorist

Mercenary

what a good anime needs :
1. a good and interesting plot
2. some action & violence ;)
3. sometimes some fanservice lol :d
4. some humor would be great
5. and a good plot
did i mention the plot ? ;)
6. unique characters

Signature

I think there are a dedicated amount of things necessary to make an anime good.

1.) It has to have a good, detailed plot that give way to all themes of emotion in a story; Sad and comedy shuld go together in a plot
2.) The characters have to have life, otherwise, they are just mindless dolls...
3.) There has to be a purpose, not just a story.

Staff

Staff

RIP MT

Plot and action! The story must be meaningful and there should be lots of action (or anything else that thrills me)!

PS: The artwork must be decent... ugly pictures make me sick.

Well I agree with the original poster, that a good anime honestly leaves memories in your heart and it's probably something you'll remember long after you've finished it. Sometimes it can be a combination of plot, action, music, character development and the "rewatchability" factor (i.e. how much does it make you want to rewatch it), and other times, it's just pure gut feelings. Sometimes it's really hard to say why you like a particular series... you just like it because it induces feelings of warmth and happiness in you. Anyway, I believe in demonstrating with examples, so i'll just list a few of my favourite series and say what I like about them.

1. Sailor Moon - this is one of my all-time favourite anime series ever. My strongest reason for liking it is probably for nostalgia's sake - I started watching Sailor Moon when I was just a kid and 10 years on, I'm stiill halfway through Super S! (4th season). I've rewatched one or two seasons, and I'm watching them all in the wrong order! I've gone off it a few times in life I think, but it'll always have a special place in my heart. The themes of love, friendship and justice may seem clichéd, but i think the message still reaches and viewers and i always feel quite emotional watching it. I know its got some bad points, like being too repetitive or having too many episode fillers, or how Sailor Moon _always_ saves the day, but I love it nonetheless. The soundtrack is amazing, and 200 episodes means there's ample space for character development. The action is fairly good and the overall plot isn't too bad. To compare it to other anime, it's a really cool mahou shoujo series, but it's one of those ones you'll love if you saw it when you were a little kid.

2. Air - Plot-wise, I thought this anime is lacking, and whatever plot it does have, it seems stupid. But what I like about Air is not the plot... I love the music, and the artwork is gorgeous. I mean the background design is wonderful, and it has this warm, cozy feeling of innocence. There's something magical about this show, like when Misuzu and Yukito are playing in the river, or when they sit at the seaside and just stare at the sky... I think these simple moments are what makes it really beautiful and enchanting, not the plot.

3. Full Moon wo Sagashite - I really, really love this series, and do believe it when they say it's Arina Tanemura's best story ever! The theme of finding the courage to achieve your dream even though there's an obstacle in your life is very common in anime shows, i believe, but I still think it works well here. Best of all, I love the characters - Mitsuki, Takuto, Meroko, and even Mitsuki's manager are all wonderful characters and develop really well throughout the story. It's got some really touching moments, and makes you feel very sentimental watching it.

4. X - I love the action and the theme of 'apocalypse' here. Even though there are only 26 episodes, and the manga is much more extensive, the X anime is still really good. The soundtrack is gorgeous, and this is one of those shows that induces feelings of wonder and grandeur. It's really hard to say what's so great about it. Some people complain it's too violent or gory, but I think those are just key ingredients of the story and shouldn't stop us from appreciating the big picture!

5. Elfen Lied - Probably one of the most violent anime I've ever seen, but I like the intrigue, tension and thrill of the story, and how they squeeze in so much in just 13 episodes, and how each episode makes you want to carry on watching. It's one of those series, that if you have all 13 eps at your disposal, you could watch it in one day. Again the soundtrack is good, and it's incredibly tragic as well.

Enough blabber.. thats what i think. ^_^

page 1 of 1 15 total items

Back to General Anime & Manga Talk | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.