Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Something bothersome... - Minitokyo

Something bothersome...

page 2 of 2 « Previous 1 2 38 total items

shinsengumi

Retired Moderator

shinsengumi

. . . remember me?

At this point, it is important for me to step in and clarify the situation. In fact, the article that mel noted is not quite relevant to the topic at hand, because whether or not someone is a minor is really not that important a distinction, and is not the distinction that you are really discussing. Let me explain. . .

Quote by melmachine18Over the last year, one thing has been bothering me a lot. My mother keeps telling me that even after turning 18, I'm still legally a minor.

Your mother is using the wrong term, mel. At 18, you are no longer legally a minor, but most likely you're legally still a dependant, which means that you are still the responsibility of your parent(s).

Quote: The article states that after turning 18, you are able to leave the custody of ones who take care of you, such as from those who are no longer minors.

Having the theoretical ability to do something does not mean you should be able to do it or that it should be automatic. It is possible for you to shed your dependant status when you turn 18, but it is difficult to do so until you're at least age 25. You can only be considered an independant after you can demonstrate that you do not need to rely upon your parents for your livelihood. In the simplest of terms, it means that you can completely provide for yourself without the assistance of your parent(s) or legal guardian(s).

Quote: I don't like to be considered a minor because I feel that I'm able to handle myself more than I could do in the past. However, it seems that my parents still think I cannot make it on my own, even if I tried and vowed to do my very best. Thus, while I'm under their care, I still can't do many of the things I want to do, such as traveling by myself or even having them pay for my college and I could go where I want. What can I do? What do you think about this?

Forgive me for saying this, but mel, while you may be able to handle yourself better than you could in the past, you're not quite at the point where you're responsible or experienced enough to be able to deal with everything on your own. Do you have a job with which you can support yourself such that you can pay for all of your travels, go to the schools that you want to go to, and most fundamentally, have a place to live? Do you know how to deal with your taxes and income reporting? Do you know how to deal with insurance in case you get injured?

Believe me, mel, you really should be grateful for what you have right now. Right now, your mother is taking care of all the details you do not have time to deal with, details you might not even know about, for you so that you can focus on your studies and building the foundation on which you will be able to be truly independent in the future.

I hope this makes sense, and that it clarifies the situation for everyone else who has posted in this thread.

s h i n s e n g u m i
Minitokyo Policy, Forum, Review, and Category Maintenance Moderator Emeritus

Do not expect to be applauded when you do the right thing, and do not expect to be forgiven when you err, but even your enemies will respect commitment, and a conscience at peace is worth a thousand tainted victories.

yeah, im agreeing with shinsengumi....you can declare independency, but i dont know how you'd have enough time for school....i say, just deal with the dependancy until you honsetly dont need your parents....actually, they'll probably stop smothering you on their own when you graduate college and start yer job(u hope)...i know that antsy feeling you got, like you've got wanderlust and you want to be on your own, but i think your parents know better than you...they've maybe been through this b4 with their parents?.....

angelrhea

angelrhea

<"Little Hime">

well in the Phils, even if you're 18 you cant leave your parents. well not yet. well mel if you really want to be on your own, prove to them that you are suited and more responsible on that. maybe your parents loves you very much they cant afford to lose you under their care, they have reasons you know. im 19 and im still in my parents. i cant live on my own by this time. just wait mel for the right time to come when they are redy to set you free. for the meantime plan ahead and prove you can do it.

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

crewcifix

crewcifix

Christian Boy

I honestly think that you tend to "think" too much. Its getting out of perspective. I would personally NOT even bother sharing such topics in the forum because to me it looks like as if its trying to draw too much attention in your situation. Remember that this is an open community and not a blog. A blog is an online journal for you to write bothersome thoughts where you can share your thoughts (personal thoughts anyway) rather than sharing them in the open like this one.

Furthermore, not only are you causing misinterpretations for your actions but mentioning other people such as your parents in the public, giving an open questionable statement like how your parents does not trust you doesn't really give any concern for any of us here.. really. I rather think that even if you take dosages and dosages of advice from this forum, it shall not be the main answer to your problem. Relax and calm down. Try not to think to much because there is nothing to think about anyway. I personally find it nonbothersome. I mean so what if you're a minor or whatever. As long as you have your own identity is what really is important.

I have a hint that your real problem is with you and your parent's trust. Work on it. As much as I did to mine. Try not to overreact or anything. You may say you aren't overreacting but that is what you are showing me. You may say that I do not know you as a person to judge you but being that you posted something like this in a community, expect different answers too. This is no flame ok, I'm just stating that personal matters such as this should be avoided being posted here. I personally think that you're trying to comfort yourself by words of other members but real comfort comes from within. You have to realize that. I dunno but I really think that you should treasure the bond you have with your parents. Not all kids are as lucky as you can get. I don't really see the big deal about it anyway. You still got your independence, is there anything you'd want to do that you'd not like your parents to see? Is it negative? Then you must think first before you come into a conclusion. I really think that you should talk it out MORE with your parents than us.

Feel the Rain on Your Skin. No One Else can Feel it For You. Only You Can Let it in.
Signature Image
-=Admin&Mod=- Flip | Ice and Snow | Nippon Foods | TSubasa | Pure Light Love | Assistance Coalescence | Make a Friend | FMWS | Syaoran shrine | Filipino Comm. | Sakura | Sea | Pokemon League | SS shrine | The Real Folk Blues | English | McDonald's

Shagmar

Shagmar

Resident NERD

There are a couple issues going on here...neither of them has anything to do with the law. The law says this, the law says that, how do I handle this? Pure and simple...law says you're not a minor, you're not a minor, but trust me there is much more to this.

The law is not the issue here, society is. The problem being, there is no TRUE defining moment that you become an adult. Many would argue that when you turn 18, you are an adult. True you are legally so, but you are not given all the rights and privilages of an adult. You can't buy alcohol, you can't even rent a car. So the next logical step is when you turn 21, now you can buy alcohol but there are still things not available to you.

In the old days, there were certain rights that one had to pass to become an adult. I speak mostly of tribal situations, yes, but there were certain things that were so even in modern society. As time has gone on, more rules have been applied and slowly the lines have blurred. Who is an adult? Children can divorce their parents and live their lives without parental control, and 19yr olds plus are still under the control of their parents...so where is the defining moment that one becomes an adult? This is a real question and problem that doesn't have a set answer...

Another issue that is going on here is maturity. In all honesty the way you approached this topic makes you sound like the whining kid in the corner that is mad because he/she didn't get the toy they wanted. A little harsh I know, but sorry the truth hurts sometimes. If you want to get out on your own, you have to prove you are ready for it. Dealing with it in a mature way would help greatly...sit down with your parents and talk it over. Don't whine or bitch or complain, just present your points, listen to theirs and respond. It will probably take quite a while to discuss, but it is a much better way to go about it.

I will however clue you into the harsh reality, parents are always going to tell you what to do. I'm almost 25 and my parents still butt in and tell me what to do on a regular basis and I've been on my own since I was 18yrs old. Heck, my grandparents still butt into my parents' lives, it's just the simple truth of the matter. What you need to learn is that many times they know what they are talking about and they are full of great information about the world. Once you realize this and take their opinions into consideration, they will respect you a great deal more and leave you to decide things more so for yourself. Just something to think about...

Signature

chibicow

chibicow

i_miss_MT_1.0

I know little to nothing about American Law - except what you see on the television (mostly bullcrap) or the news (still bullcrap and doesnt make sense!).
though, from what i've read, it seems like when you turn the big 1-8, you should have a discussion with your mother about your personal rights and if need be, legal rights.

if your she has any problems you can either give-up and me a momma-girls forever or tell her she has let you make your own choices and live your life! (i.e. take a stand but be sensible about it - you dont want to crush her!)

sorry if i sound patronising or plain stupid, its just what i see as being the most appropriate/ perhaps best, thing to do!
good luck!

quick note - did a little looking myself, 18 - not a minor! YAY!

I don't think you're not a minor, because you're 18 now, an adult.

Signature
Member of: ~Make a friend~ ~Serenity~ ~Japanese~ ~FinalFantasyFans~
I'll see you all around, people! :D

Diabound00

Diabound00

God of Darkness

Well here in Austria you are an adult if when you turn 18. Point. For example here in our schools no teacher has the right to contact the parents of a pupil who is 18 or older.
It also often comes to the parents: I have a big luck with mine because they gave me and my brother very much freedom and also didn't tried to control our lives.

Diabound00

Diabound00

God of Darkness

Well here in Austria you are an adult if when you turn 18. Point. For example here in our schools no teacher has the right to contact the parents of a pupil who is 18 or older.
It also often comes to the parents: I have a big luck with mine because they gave me and my brother very much freedom and also didn't tried to control our lives.

Kidder

Kidder

we are fighting dreamers

I'm guessing your not so bothered about being a "minor" as u are unhappy that your parents may still legally have control over your life. It seems you really want to become independant and move out from home. I understand that sentiment since I went through the same phase 2 years ago (I'm 20 yrs old in about 5 days), but the fact is if you're gonna ask ur parents to pay for ur college tuition fees then you are still relying on them. I'm not saying it's a bad thing to rely on ur parents for tuition fees since there's no way I can afford mine (about 20,000 $US a year), but just remember ur parents are just looking out for u.

The best way to prove ur mature enough is by actions. Get a job, show ur parents u have strong willpower and can support yourself. Do odd jobs and errands around the house, like cleaning and cooking. Things that will show u can take care of ur own accomodation.

Signature
a big thank you to k1ru for the sweet siggy.

Join Gekkostate now! MT's only Eureka 7 fan group!

BossMac

BossMac

BRBFBI

But do you really want to live seperately from your parents that much?

You've been with them your entire lives, and just to prove your a capable person, you'll resort to leving them.

Yes, it is a sign of adulthood when you live by yourself but it doesn't mean that you'll immediately jump to it.

It takes time. Knowing your limitations as a person is still valuable when proving your capabilities.

Signature

BossMac

BossMac

BRBFBI

Dude... I double posted...

Signature

animefreak3

animefreak3

Serpentarius

Quote by melmachine18I agree with this. I had a really good upbringing from my parents. They taught me so much that they really didn't want me to make any mistakes. Because of such, I feel that I'm ready to take on life learning from what they taught me. Now that I'm 18, I feel that I'm more capable of handling certain things without them. They even made an agreement to listen to me more when I turn 18, but that promise was broken especially when I went to college. It's still the same way...

My Mom basically pushed me out when I turned 18. I'm a really fortunate person considering the life I've had since then. I don't reccommend it for others. Do what it takes to keep your home life happy.

As far as University, go your own way. Mine Uni. is not what it should have been now that I'm at the end, and I'm too far from doing anything about it. I'm just gonna switch to a math major, and deal with than hand I've been dealt.

Do what ever it takes to get to the right Uni., and don't be affraid of getting in debt. My Mom pays nothing for my education. I make obscene amounts of money now per/hour, and I'm not out yet. Do what it takes to succeed, and ignore the female/male distractions. Do lots of research, and keep your ears open to get involved in projects with the faculty. It pays out big in the end if you can prove your skills.

We begin and end in nothingness. Our darkness is confronting our ultimate nature, for nothing can come from nothing. We must sow the wind and reap the void, since the now is all we have. Together, we walk in darkness.

I'm just wondering: What have you done so far in your life that shows you are capable of being on your own?

page 2 of 2 « Previous 1 2 38 total items

Back to Love, Friends & Family | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.