Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 10 reasons I hate MKV - Minitokyo

10 reasons I hate MKV

This thread is closed for posting.

page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next » 122 total items

Caiobrz

Caiobrz

Wispy

10 Reasons I HATE MKV:

(I know there are some die hard fanatics for this format, but anyway I'll post it here as a food-for-thought anyway)

1. I have to install a non-standard codec/demux on my CPU just to watch it, while I already have lots of standard updated and common drivers which does the same work except 1% highly discutible worst

2. "You can have dual-audio" ... guess what I only watch one audio at a time, and I DONT CARE for the extra 2~3 audio tracks. Actually, why the hell do I need to download 50mb+ spanish/english mediocre dub anyway?

3. "It features smaller overhead and, thus, smaller files" ... that's a good point, 1% less on my 200Mb file. Since they will add 50mb+ extra audio tracks that's a plus right?

4. It supports oriental typesetting and non-standard unicode ... like, I really want to see it subbed in hebrew, korean and japanese ... it's a fansub to english why do I care it supports japanese? Oh Karaoke? WTF I want to see Karaoke in Japanese I can't read?

5. It supports lots of special super-cool subtitles effects to add on the karaoke. That's right! I download fansubs to see the amazing Karaoke overlaying the original OP, who cares for what's between the OP end ED anyway? after all, I bet nobody SKIPS OP and ED everytime and watches the plain "easy-to-read" (OMG without effects) subs on the actuall episode anyway. Yeah let's download fansubs to watch amazingly well done Karaoke, not ... fansubs

6. It's a little bit heavy on CPU but it will play on every other Pentium 1.5Ghz +. Oh well I bet that's a good thing I'm not a stupid moron who tries to play videos on my Pentium 1Ghz .. like I did with .AVI and even OGM. After all, using a heavy format that is heavy on the CPU to add extra karaoke I don't watch and typesetts I don't read, and even audio-tracks I don't care is a good thing right?

7. It supports multiple bitrates on the audio/video track. That's a nice idea, since if I rip it from a DVD everything will have the same format, so I'll have to get audio from another source, stuff into my pretty MKV since it supports it! Hey! everybody will download it since it have Spanish 5.1 and English 2.0 ON THE SAME FILE!

8. It supports VOB subs that cannot be easily extracted! Yes! Now the fansub won't get their subs ripped, that's a plus, they just don't want their subs to go thru some sort of piracy, since fansubing IS NOT piracy. Also, you will have a hard time editing MKV files, which is an extra plus, why the hell would anyone want a easy standard file format anyway?

9. It supports multiple sub formats! Like ... softsubs don't? or like OGM don't? or like ... why do I care if it have 10 subs on the same file? "oh don't be egoistical, there are people who reads other languages other than english". So, let them download their language subs, why do I need to download 10 and use 1? Let me see, that's probably the same reason why I need to download extra 50mb+ stupid english/spanish dub as in "dual-audio"?

10. It still experimental on Linux and Macs, people might have trouble with that ... but hey, look at all the nice 9 reasons above so we MUST download it and wait untill it is stable on other plataforms as well! Who cares if people eventually grow BRAINS into their heads and stop using this shitty format and I'm left without a codec one day?

--
p.s.: I have 1000+ CD's with .AVI files, I convert all .OGM files I download to AVI since OGM sucks bigtime. I also DO HAVE original DVDs, I buy every series I like, though I keep the fansubs cause their subs are often better.

Signature
Extensive quality reviews and some wall/scans, visit!
http://www.daisuki.com.br

omg yay, i hate mkv too!! thanks for giving me more reasons to tell ppl why!

yes you sure hate mkv but many of yours reasons aren't really objective. You think from your own point of view. Other people find mkv some advantages you don't see, you don't need.

Keik

TarballIUTzone

I love MKV b/c its no match for my Mplayer :)

Install ACC Megacodec pack and matroska + divX and all should be run ;)

Caiobrz

Caiobrz

Wispy

Quote by 3deqiyes you sure hate mkv but many of yours reasons aren't really objective. You think from your own point of view. Other people find mkv some advantages you don't see, you don't need.

Yes, people who like MKV never give us any advantages, just say we are wrong, we don't see the qualities, etc...

I gave 10 reasons, and they actually are objective unless someone can argue them back. Otherwise, I will always confirm: Fansubs which use MKV use it only because it's different, it's cool, makes them fell speciall to use something you need to knee and ask mercy of the codec Gods to use.

Let me see my 10 points and their objectivness:

1. MKV is still experimental, nobody will deny that, thus, it's pretty obvious it IS a pain to find good codecs. BTW some MKV will run with ACC Megacodec pack, others won't. Forcing this into people is just stupid.

2. Any argument that favours dual audio (or more) is useless. It DOES NOT give any quality or advantage to have more than one audio track on a single file except enlarging it.

3. MKV smallest overhead is rediculously smaller. It might not even get to 1% of AVI, which means, only 2Mb out of a 200Mb file. Not enough reason to change the standard just because of that.

4. Give me a good reason why I should care MKV supports unicode on english fansubs and I drop this reason.

5. Fansubs are not Karaoke festivals. People who download fansubs could care less for the op/ed karaoke, and 90% just skips them. "I don't use them" yes right, but why force a format that can be of use only for 10% of people who care? Just rip the op/ed and make a AMV with all those nice effects AND I WILL download IT AS mkv

6. Forcing people to have better CPUS will never be a quality or Advantage argument

7. As much as I just said it's useless to have multi-tracks, why do I care it even supports multiple bitrates? Specially you will need different sources to "have" different bitrates - meaning - you will be forcing it to be that way

8. Why is locking the subs unreadable an advantage to people who just want to watch it? (Why not? I call it even, but certainly not a quality to have it locked while we could have it free)

9. external softsubs and OGM also support multiple subs ... the only reason MKV is better is it can support more unicode types and multiple subs at the same time. Granted it's a good reason, it's far from been a reason to replase the prior formats.

10. Oh well I don't care for other plataforms but since people LOVE to tell this or that does run under other plataform and I'm not totally egoistical as MKV comunity IS, I take it as an argument.

sorry just went thru my 10 reasons and saw objective conclusive and direct reasons MKV should not be forced not even used ... but I guess MKV lovers will just say: "you don't see the quality!" and think that is a smash-hit argument ^^

Signature

TLTw804

TLTw804

TheLostTimberwolf

I dont care if ya hate it or not, I remember the same thing when groups started using OGM, now no one worries about OGM cause its easy to use and is supported easily ~now~. For me if i want to watch a fan subbed anime, and they choose to code it in mkv,ogm,avi whatever then ill find a player which can handle it, ill download needed codecs and lastly ill be thankful that the ppl took their time to do all the work to release the episode for me to watch.
For the record i am aware that MKV, OGM are just containers.

Signature
One day I will find Myself, but when I do will I like what I have found?

chingetscook

chingetscook

Net Slacker

1. Use a real Media player such as: Media Player Classic which has its own integrated MKV splitter that works right out of the box and I have not come across a MKV file that it couldn't open properly yet. If you are still using Windows Media Player you are seriously asking for a major pain in the ass.

I use the latest version of MPC and the ONLY Codecs I have installed are CoreVorbis Audio, ffdshow, and xvid. I can play back every single one of the 510 GB of Anime encodes I have on my system with only that.

2. Just because you can only listen to one language at a time is irrelevant, allowing you to choose your own preference dubbed English vs. subtitled Japanese or any other language is a useful feature that has been around longer then the Matroska format.

3. Changes in overhead that are less then 1% doesn't make any relevant difference, even in 2+ GB files. But less then 1% less overhead is better then less then 1% more overhead. Dial-ups won't complain.

4. Meaning it is a file format that isn't just for Americans, it can be used for anyone anywhere. Just because You Personally don't read nor want to learn how to read Japanese is not a valid reason to bash Karaoke support in a container.

5. What do you care? You won't read Karaoke anyway, let the people who might read it have their fun with pretty effects, if you have a problem with that; disable the subs entirely since you can.

6. As far as I know, the container has very little to do with the CPU usage, the codecs used to compress the video on the other hand... If you are having no luck decoding a MKV because it has a h.264 video on the inside, don't blame the container; blame the power hungry video codec inside. Or perhaps you are using a crappy decoder that bogs it down.

7. Have you ever ripped a DVD before? More often then not DVDs will have English 5.1 audio and Japanese 2.0 audio, or other mixes from various streams inside the DVD. Just because Matroska is flexible and lets people do these things, does not mean people are going to go out of their way to use them.

8. It matters to the people who give you these free subtitled anime encodes, they work hard on them and they don't want cheap jerks stealing their stuff without having to spend more then 15 seconds of effort on it.

9. What do you want, your own personal video container format that only works for you alone in the whole universe? Some group wants to sub something for 10 languages, but they don't want to distribute 10 different files, MKV lets them do it in one file...and that bothers you?

10. Somehow I doubt you are using Linux or a Mac, and if the MKV format takes off like OGM did, do you really think solid Linux/Mac support will lag behind Windows for long?

-----------------------------------------
1000+ CDs with AVIs you made from OGMs? That is quite a waste of time. I keep over 500 GB of anime down with less then 200 DVDRs and a few CDs.

Signature Image

Caiobrz

Caiobrz

Wispy

Yay finally someone can argue, thanks chingetscook...

Quote by chingetscook1. Use a real Media player such as: Media Player Classic which has its own integrated MKV splitter that works right out of the box and I have not come across a MKV file that it couldn't open properly yet. If you are still using Windows Media Player you are seriously asking for a major pain in the ass.

WMP is a stupid player nobody should use anyway, I'm not dumb enough to use it, and the player I choose is beyond the point, since I'm talking about ease to use the formats, and the fact that all current players (even stupid WMP) will play AVI and even OGM, but will have problems with MKV. Point is, MKV is still not fully suported and fully compatible, thus, why push it at people? better let the "scholars" (they think they are) who work behind the project finish their codecs first. So, AVI are easyer to use, MKV still isn't, point to AVI (let make myself clear, I also dislike OGM, which is actually worst than MKV but at least is almost standard nowadays)

Quote: I use the latest version of MPC and the ONLY Codecs I have installed are CoreVorbis Audio, ffdshow, and xvid. I can play back every single one of the 510 GB of Anime encodes I have on my system with only that.

And I have ONLY ffdshow and I can play all 1000 CDs+ (which also sums to more than 500Gb case it means something) with it ... except MKV =p

Quote: 2. Just because you can only listen to one language at a time is irrelevant, allowing you to choose your own preference dubbed English vs. subtitled Japanese or any other language is a useful feature that has been around longer then the Matroska format.

Just because it's been around it dosen't means it's a good idea ... The world have over 200 languages, that's a good idea, let's make all our subs feature them, that way a single episode will be 10Gb but hey, you got a point, let's stuff all audio tracks we can into that file ... come on where is the quality having lots of audio tracks in one file? besides, very rarely people will listen to the dubbed if they have the subbed, let alone dubbed in other languages other their natural languages. So, dual audio is acceptable, but guess what, EVEN AVI container supports multiple audio tracks. So, AVI also supports multiple track and there is no clear need to more than 2 audio tracks (though I think it's a waste of time since only 10%- people will care for dubbeds). At most, we have it even. AVI 1x0 MKV yet.

Quote: 3. Changes in overhead that are less then 1% doesn't make any relevant difference, even in 2+ GB files. But less then 1% less overhead is better then less then 1% more overhead. Dial-ups won't complain.

So, let's push a non-standard format because Dial-ups won't complain ... given as you as well put it, it won't make any relevant difference so it's also not a valid argument to push a non-stantard format at people. But let's say it's a pro for MKV once it gets standard, 1x1

Quote: 4. Meaning it is a file format that isn't just for Americans, it can be used for anyone anywhere. Just because You Personally don't read nor want to learn how to read Japanese is not a valid reason to bash Karaoke support in a container.

Did I ever said I hated MKV for hebrews? But, why push MKV for english? ok it's cool to have a Japanese karaoke, but if I can read japanese, I won't care for the karaoke... people who CARE for the karaoke want romanji so they can sing alone. Still not a reason enough: english subs don't need unicode non-standards, karaoke need romanji which dosen't need unicode non-standards, only the rare eventual subs in unicode non-standards languages will care. I don't, so I won't personally ever push MKV to people who also don't care. 2 AVI x 1 MKV

Quote: 5. What do you care? You won't read Karaoke anyway, let the people who might read it have their fun with pretty effects, if you have a problem with that; disable the subs entirely since you can.

Yeap, why do I care, I won't read that anyway, so .. why push stupid MKV into me? That's the same thought as having 200 languages on the file, why do you care you are downloading something useless? So, yet another invalid point, if you want to please people who like karaoke, release only the Karaoke on op/ed extracted. AVI 3 x 1 MKV.

Quote: 6. As far as I know, the container has very little to do with the CPU usage, the codecs used to compress the video on the other hand... If you are having no luck decoding a MKV because it has a h.264 video on the inside, don't blame the container; blame the power hungry video codec inside. Or perhaps you are using a crappy decoder that bogs it down.

Sorry, the container have a lot to do with CPU usage. The fact it features lots less overhead means it WILL need extra CPU power (basic computing theory, less memory more cpu). It's a known fact OGM is heavier on the CPU, and MKV even heavier, don't just try to hide that. AVI 4 x 1 MKV

Quote: 7. Have you ever ripped a DVD before? More often then not DVDs will have English 5.1 audio and Japanese 2.0 audio, or other mixes from various streams inside the DVD. Just because Matroska is flexible and lets people do these things, does not mean people are going to go out of their way to use them.

Bitrate is not number of audio streams my example as 5.1 audio and 2.0 was incorrect sorry. However, even if one could say that was the case, you still can use OGM for that. But I'll grant in the very rare case we NEED different birrates, MKV is better. AVI 4 x 2 MKV. I'm not totally sure what is the difference between streams that MKV accepts while other don't since I have seen AVI with dual audio mono/stereo, and OGM with 5.1 and 2.0 ... I think it's VFR and FFR.

Quote: 8. It matters to the people who give you these free subtitled anime encodes, they work hard on them and they don't want cheap jerks stealing their stuff without having to spend more then 15 seconds of effort on it.

So, you are telling me to protect the fansubs intellectual rights? ON piracy subs? AND that's AN argument FOR ME TO USE MKV? That got to be some kind of joke right? Won't even score that into AVI. Besides, most people **who subs for the fans alas fansubs** often allow you to get their script if you need. Only jerks who want fame and some sort of bonus worry about having their subs stealed.

Quote: 9. What do you want, your own personal video container format that only works for you alone in the whole universe? Some group wants to sub something for 10 languages, but they don't want to distribute 10 different files, MKV lets them do it in one file...and that bothers you?

Yeah, put 200 languages into it too, that will be ok. Oh guess what softsub .srt can be available so you don't need to download all, only what you want. Oh guess what OGM also supports 10 different subs. So, the only difference between MKV and AVI is: MKV might accept different unicode subs (already discussed and granted it's good FOR them, not me). Between something that already does that job, and something new that does it non-standard, I keep the standard. AVI 5 x 2 MKV. BTW Yes, I want my own standard world-wide acceptable AND compatible video format container ... ops wait a second, it's called AVI

Quote: 10. Somehow I doubt you are using Linux or a Mac, and if the MKV format takes off like OGM did, do you really think solid Linux/Mac support will lag behind Windows for long?

So I'm egoistical when I want only english subs and therefore dismiss all the qualities MKV can have for other languages, BUT BUT BUT ignoring english readers who use Linux and Mac is'nt? I see ...that's GOT to be a prop for MKV somehow.

Quote:
1000+ CDs with AVIs you made from OGMs? That is quite a waste of time. I keep over 500 GB of anime down with less then 200 DVDRs and a few CDs.

Read it right, I said that WHEN I download OGM I convert them to AVI, but fortunatelly, so far, 90% of fansubs still use AVI, 9% OGM and 1% MKV. And why do I care you have DVDr and I CDr? oh wait, that means MKV is better? =D

Signature

chingetscook

chingetscook

Net Slacker

Quote: WMP is a stupid player nobody should use anyway, I'm not dumb enough to use it, and the player I choose is beyond the point, since I'm talking about ease to use the formats, and the fact that all current players (even stupid WMP) will play AVI and even OGM, but will have problems with MKV. Point is, MKV is still not fully suported and fully compatible, thus, why push it at people? better let the "scholars" (they think they are) who work behind the project finish their codecs first. So, AVI are easyer to use, MKV still isn't, point to AVI (let make myself clear, I also dislike OGM, which is actually worst than MKV but at least is almost standard nowadays)

Like I said, use MPC because it very much does NOT have a problem with Matroska files. All you have to do is associate the file format with MPC and it plays Matroska files just as easily as WMP plays AVI files, double click.

Quote: And I have ONLY ffdshow and I can play all 1000 CDs+ (which also sums to more than 500Gb case it means something) with it ... except MKV =p

I actually only need ffdshow and MPC, using xvid to decode xvid, and CoreVorbis is just a convenience thing, I can play back everything, including the many OGM and MKV files I have.

Quote: Just because it's been around it dosen't means it's a good idea ... The world have over 200 languages, that's a good idea, let's make all our subs feature them, that way a single episode will be 10Gb but hey, you got a point, let's stuff all audio tracks we can into that file ... come on where is the quality having lots of audio tracks in one file? besides, very rarely people will listen to the dubbed if they have the subbed, let alone dubbed in other languages other their natural languages. So, dual audio is acceptable, but guess what, EVEN AVI container supports multiple audio tracks. So, AVI also supports multiple track and there is no clear need to more than 2 audio tracks (though I think it's a waste of time since only 10%- people will care for dubbeds). At most, we have it even. AVI 1x0 MKV yet.

Ok, so multiple audio tracks are stupid and not a good idea... Yet AVI supports them? Do you think that the AVI container magically makes these other audio tracks not take up more space? Do you also think it is a coincidence that nobody uses AVI for dual audio encodes?

Quote: So, let's push a non-standard format because Dial-ups won't complain ... given as you as well put it, it won't make any relevant difference so it's also not a valid argument to push a non-stantard format at people. But let's say it's a pro for MKV once it gets standard, 1x1

Your point works both ways; it doesn't make a difference so it's also not a valid argument against using a format either.

Quote: Did I ever said I hated MKV for hebrews? But, why push MKV for english? ok it's cool to have a Japanese karaoke, but if I can read japanese, I won't care for the karaoke... people who CARE for the karaoke want romanji so they can sing alone. Still not a reason enough: english subs don't need unicode non-standards, karaoke need romanji which dosen't need unicode non-standards, only the rare eventual subs in unicode non-standards languages will care. I don't, so I won't personally ever push MKV to people who also don't care. 2 AVI x 1 MKV

Best reason to push MKV, because it is not for You. Convert it to an AVI if you really can't stand the idea of it possibly supporting something you won't use. And while we are at it, your computer might actually be able to do a lot of things you never use it for, or your operating system, lets remove that functionality since it takes up more space. There are probably even keys on your keyboard that you never use, lets just remove them for you because you don't want it to support anything but exactly what you use.

Quote: Yeap, why do I care, I won't read that anyway, so .. why push stupid MKV into me? That's the same thought as having 200 languages on the file, why do you care you are downloading something useless? So, yet another invalid point, if you want to please people who like karaoke, release only the Karaoke on op/ed extracted. AVI 3 x 1 MKV.

If you don't care, why use it as an argument against MKV? First the reason groups do Karaoke is because it's cool, it makes them feel special. Now; in order for a group to release a separate Karaoke on the op/ed extracted, they would have to rip and then encode and then distribute the files. Why would they waste their time doing that if they could easily do it for EVERY episode at minimal storage use and not have to distribute any more files?

Quote: Sorry, the container have a lot to do with CPU usage. The fact it features lots less overhead means it WILL need extra CPU power (basic computing theory, less memory more cpu). It's a known fact OGM is heavier on the CPU, and MKV even heavier, don't just try to hide that. AVI 4 x 1 MKV

Do you know how much of a difference you are arguing about? In order for you to actually notice the difference MKV would have to be hundreds of times heaver on CPU use then AVI. You are talking about a difference that is about equal to opening a normal .txt file vs. an .rtf file with the same stuff in it both in Microsoft Word. Even if it's ten times harder on the CPU to demux a MKV, it's ten times nothing and still equals nothing.

Quote: Bitrate is not number of audio streams my example as 5.1 audio and 2.0 was incorrect sorry. However, even if one could say that was the case, you still can use OGM for that. But I'll grant in the very rare case we NEED different birrates, MKV is better. AVI 4 x 2 MKV. I'm not totally sure what is the difference between streams that MKV accepts while other don't since I have seen AVI with dual audio mono/stereo, and OGM with 5.1 and 2.0 ... I think it's VFR and FFR.

Why use OGM for it if MKV is better at it? OGM has its own purpose that it is better at, like for low bitrate streaming Vorbis.

Quote: So, you are telling me to protect the fansubs intellectual rights? ON piracy subs? AND that's AN argument FOR ME TO USE MKV? That got to be some kind of joke right? Won't even score that into AVI. Besides, most people **who subs for the fans alas fansubs** often allow you to get their script if you need. Only jerks who want fame and some sort of bonus worry about having their subs stealed.

They will give their scripts if people ask; they want to make life difficult for the people who don't ask. If they don't give up their scripts, then I agree, they are jerks that want fame. But what does it really matter to you? You can still play back a MKV with the subtitles just fine, it would only be a problem if you were trying to convert the MKV to some other container. Read your orignial argument and ask why is that a reason for You to not use MKV?

Quote: Yeah, put 200 languages into it too, that will be ok. Oh guess what softsub .srt can be available so you don't need to download all, only what you want. Oh guess what OGM also supports 10 different subs. So, the only difference between MKV and AVI is: MKV might accept different unicode subs (already discussed and granted it's good FOR them, not me). Between something that already does that job, and something new that does it non-standard, I keep the standard. AVI 5 x 2 MKV. BTW Yes, I want my own standard world-wide acceptable AND compatible video format container ... ops wait a second, it's called AVI

Why do you think MKV was created in the first place? Because AVI is NOT a world-wide acceptable standard, you can't have a world-wide standard if it doesn't support all the necessary characters.

Quote: So I'm egoistical when I want only english subs and therefore dismiss all the qualities MKV can have for other languages, BUT BUT BUT ignoring english readers who use Linux and Mac is'nt? I see ...that's GOT to be a prop for MKV somehow.

So I went snooping around on google, turns out there is plenty of support for both Linux and Mac for Matroska. And again, I doubt you use either so why use it as an argument against Matroska if it has zero impact on you?

Quote: Read it right, I said that WHEN I download OGM I convert them to AVI, but fortunatelly, so far, 90% of fansubs still use AVI, 9% OGM and 1% MKV. And why do I care you have DVDr and I CDr? oh wait, that means MKV is better? =D

You read it right, that was a seprate note on your P.S. where did I say MKV is better in that line? Hint: I didn't. ;)

Signature Image

Caiobrz

Caiobrz

Wispy

Quote: Like I said, use MPC because it very much does NOT have a problem with Matroska files. All you have to do is associate the file format with MPC and it plays Matroska files just as easily as WMP plays AVI files, double click.

Or just don't use MKV at all and remain happy =p

Quote: Ok, so multiple audio tracks are stupid and not a good idea... Yet AVI supports them? Do you think that the AVI container magically makes these other audio tracks not take up more space? Do you also think it is a coincidence that nobody uses AVI for dual audio encodes?

I do have AVI with dual-audio, and they don't take much more space. Yes AVI overhead sucks bigtime, so either OGM and MKV files would be smaller. But that will fall into the 1% improvement argument also:

Quote: Your point works both ways; it doesn't make a difference so it's also not a valid argument against using a format either.

So all things been equal, why push a non-standard new experimental format on me? thus, my argument IS valid, because I want to change my format only when the new one people are pushing me into is 100% reliable and stable. Not even Matroska designers will say they finished project yet. Point is: since my point works both ways, I suppose keeping things as they are is better than going all your way to change the format to something new that the difference is irrelevant and we can't even say will actually be a hit (btw I don't call OGM a hit yet, and I think soon it will stop been used, needless to say, replaced by MKV).

Quote: Best reason to push MKV, because it is not for You. Convert it to an AVI if you really can't stand the idea of it possibly supporting something you won't use. And while we are at it, your computer might actually be able to do a lot of things you never use it for, or your operating system, lets remove that functionality since it takes up more space. There are probably even keys on your keyboard that you never use, lets just remove them for you because you don't want it to support anything but exactly what you use.

You wait 90% of the fansubbers use MKV and we will get into that latter. Also, there are MKVs that cannot be converted to AVI so one more reason for people who don't like it to bug, and what's even more, it's intentionally done that way to prevent people converting. While we are at it, I DO uninstall all small stupid plugins and softwares that my OS install as much as I can, and newsflash, fortunatelly I use all keys on my keyboard, BUT if there were one I didn't (er, like Scroll Lock), and someone offered me a keyboard without it, I would accept. Unfortunatelly, the world is run by people like you, who don't question that, and will accept anything since there is no better option - or the current option is fine but you need to change it for 1% improvement over 10% sweat.

Quote: If you don't care, why use it as an argument against MKV? First the reason groups do Karaoke is because it's cool, it makes them feel special. Now; in order for a group to release a separate Karaoke on the op/ed extracted, they would have to rip and then encode and then distribute the files. Why would they waste their time doing that if they could easily do it for every episode at minimal storage use and not have to distribute any more files?

BECAUSE I don't care, that I don't want fansubs pushing me to use a format I don't need nor want, that 90% of other fansubs don't use specifically because of that. But I guess you are ok with it, since you won't bug the keyboard companies even if all keyboards you find have 15 keys you never use (at the extra cost of 15 keys, obviously) :p

Quote: Do you know how much of a difference you are arguing about? In order for you to actually notice the difference MKV would have to be hundreds of times heaver on CPU use then AVI. You are talking about a difference that is about equal to opening a normal .txt file vs. an .rtf file with the same stuff in it both in Microsoft Word. Even if it's ten times harder on the CPU to demux a MKV, it's ten times nothing and still equals nothing.

I know how much difference I'm arguing about: One of my CPU (the one with video-out to my lucky) won't handle MKV's full screen, while it will handle avis. If my CPU is at the borderline, I actually don't care, since my point is taken. I most certainly won't buy a new box because some morons want to push a new useless experimental container at me. granted, as soon as MKV is settled they will probably work on optimization (OGM was unplayable at my box earlier, but latest codecs will do just fine ... I guess MKV one day will also be optimized). One more point not to push new experimental stuff into me.

Quote: Why use OGM for it if MKV is better at it? OGM has its own purpose that it is better at, like for low bitrate streaming Vorbis.

I also hate OGM, except OGM are 100% convertable to AVI so if I have absolutelly NO alternative, I'll download OGM and convert to AVI (btw, AVI files that became smaller since I trash the extra audio track OGM always have: english dub) and get .srt files (which I can even edit to correct mistakes!)

Quote: They will give their scripts if people ask; they want to make life difficult for the people who don't ask. If they don't give up their scripts, then I agree, they are jerks that want fame. But what does it really matter to you? You can still play back a MKV with the subtitles just fine, it would only be a problem if you were trying to convert the MKV to some other container. Read your orignial argument and ask why is that a reason for You to not use MKV?

Real reason: because it makes harder to me to convert to a format it will play on any machine, OS, system and box in the world, as much as you won't agree AVI IS a standard ... AND they do that intentionally, which annoys me even more.

Then you ask "what does it really matter to you?" ... did you read anything so far? or pushing a non-standard experimental format into me because they are jerks who want to protect their script is not a reason enough to be annoyed? Push a new settled optimized cool format into me and I won't bug you, push a experimental non-standard format for the wrong reasons and I will (and while we are at it, I still want my keyboard without Scroll lock =p)

Quote: Why do you think MKV was created in the first place? Because AVI is NOT a world-wide acceptable standard, you can't have a world-wide standard if it doesn't support all the necessary characters.

Because a bunch of kids had nothing better to do? ok j/k. I do see why MKV is better, now tell me, why do I need to download MKV files of stuff that CAN be encoded using AVI or OGM? That's just kiddy stuff so they fell special by using something "new" and "cool", there is no real reason behind that.

Quote: So I went snooping around on google, turns out there is plenty of support for both Linux and Mac for Matroska. And again, I doubt you use either so why use it as an argument against Matroska if it has zero impact on you?

Because I wanted to argue against MKV as a whole and not just for me, as much as you keep getting back to me, most of my arguments are general. And please research deeper, there IS support for linux and mac but they are not as efficient as those for windows, and people DO have problem using them. That will change in a near future but that just adds to my "why push a 'under-development' codec into me?"

---

Ok let me tell you something that bugged the hell out of me some monthes ago. All hardware stores where I live were selling that "enchaced keyboard" with the function keys "sleep"/"power"/"wake up", which are useless and only cause problems (ever hit power by accident and saw your work getting lost?). So, I wanted one without it (my old keyboard started malfunctioning). So, guess what, it was SO COOL to have those new keys, no hardware store had a keyboard without them, Turned out, some hardware companies even stoped doing keyboard without it.

HOWEVER, thanks to people who won't buy the new stupid stuff just because it's cool and some people use the new feature, me and some friends bugged the stores and hardware companies so much, that they actually decided to order one keyboard without them just for me.

Now, I was really annoying to them right? Guess what, 3 monthes latter I get a mail from the hardware store thanking me for doing that, because after I did, lots of people spoke out their rage about that useless keys, and their hardware store actually got a lot of profits been the only one in town with keyboard without them.

Now every store have them, and the hardware companies that stopped producing them started producing them back.

That 1% improvement were not enough to make people "fall" for the new standard, and now we can choose which keyboard we want.

Was I wrong? or was the industry trying to push the new keyboard regardless of what people thought wrong?

I guess I NOT wanting to be pushed to use a format that all improvements are useless to me am wrong right?

Signature

chingetscook

chingetscook

Net Slacker

A lot of what you say hinges on "under development", incase you didn't notice, practically every video codec out there is "under development". Why is it you have no problem using ffdshow? The way MKV is under development right now works in much the same way as divx and xvid, a new MKV might come out eventually that will need a updated splitter to open, but all existing MKV files will still open and work just fine since it will be backwards compatible. If anything, ffdshow is a much bigger pain to deal with then Matroska, theres a new version of ffdshow every other week and half the time they break playback for one file or another.

I have an old P3 933 MHz system that pretty much can't play back anything newer then divx4 in standard frame sizes or it loses audio/video sync, regardless of the container. The video codecs are driving the need for faster CPUs way harder then the containers and it is only a matter of time before your TV out PC won't be up to the challenge regardless of the files container.

If you want to see something interesting done with a MKV file, look at Anime.Fin's Elfen Lied DVD video encodes sometime. Sure they don't need to make the subtitle border the same color as the hair color of the speaker, but it is rather nice when more then one person is talking at the same time. And it also lets you skip chapters; if you want to skip the OP they make it really easy by building in the chapters into the video just like on a DVD. Course it won't work in your 1 GHz system because it is an 704x480 (AR corrected to 853x480) xvid that uses 7 fonts in over 20 subtitle styles and 6 channel AAC audio. Good news is it also has SRT English subs on it, not just ASS.

Oh yeah, my keyboard was manufactured in 1995, it doesn't have a useless power button on it, and even if it did I wouldn't install the driver to make that button work. You can't parallel the MKV format to "enhanced" keyboards since MKV actually seems to be gaining acceptance. My mouse is a Logitech mx1000 tho, and I make full use of all 10 buttons and the scroll wheel on it. Before I got the mx1000 I got along just fine with a Microsoft Intellimouse optical that only has 3 buttons and a scroll wheel, it was easy to move forward to the mx1000, but it would be very hard to move back to a 3 button mouse. The same is true for my Dualview display, once I started using two monitors I couldn't go back to one without some pain.

Some ideas will work, some won't, but I think MKV is here to stay so giving your reasons why you hate MKV is pointless in the end. The idea behind MKV was a forward looking one, so as time goes on it is less and less likely to work on older hardware. Don't go bashing a file format just because your computer doesn't have the power to decode it, bash your slow computer instead. I'm not here to try and convince you to stop and switch all your anime to MKV files, the reason I am here is to keep you from scaring other people off from downloading or using MKV files. And for the record on my PC: 1,673 AVI files (232 GB), 461 OGM files (108 GB), 219 MKV files (56 GB).

Signature Image

Radeonator

not here, not now.

Finally, my choices was Real Player , or NERO's Recode Avi.

seriously, a simple 20 minutes 100 MB .Rmvb image quality was equal to 315 MB .avi

man- if you talk about 6 channel audio- leave it to 6 channel Xvid Audio , it has better audio quality however, 192 kb/s AAC lost to 128+ kb/s sony's atrac-3 quality since it has better audio information.

what makes me think is why you should wasted your time at 200 MB movie while you can download X264 Encoder for free? If you have either NERO's Recode 2.2.6.9 encoder or X264 which two of them has:

1. Best images
2. Smallest size ( I voted NERO's Recode 2 for this!)
3. subtitle
4. 6 channel sound.

besides,
I dont need hebrew subtitle :nya:
I dont need Karaoke :nya:
I dont need those CPU - Killer video encoder, I love ATI's Overlay mode which build-in DIVx encoder so I dont have to sacrifice my CPU Usage on stupid pesky matroska , it was easier this way since it doesn't ate my Memory usage either , so that I can pause my movie and switch back to photoshop after my movie break, and it doesn't hang my PC like MPEG does (it happen once, I opened 5 background Program at same time with photoshop included).

just one warning though : matroska has a strange habit working at Overclocked CPU. OX

=Im here temporarily, please dont visit or leave any message.

Caiobrz

Caiobrz

Wispy

Radeonator thumbs up =p

chingetscook, you take things too literally, probably intentional because if you didn't it would be pointless to argue them back. My example at the keyboard was to show either people sit back and let shit go on (like you do), or if they argue back and want explanations and respect (like I do). The point about the details of keyboard drivers is beyond the scope, what is the point is: you would settle for those extra keys and remove them from your keyboard (pretty much as you sarcasticaly said I would do!), while I wouldn't even buy it =p

Quote: Course it won't work in your 1 GHz system because it is an 704x480

My system can run 1024x528 (don't know the exact number) AVI files without a problem (Misaki Chronicles Divergence Eve from hdtv), yet your's can't a 704x480 ... I guess AVI still beats MKV huh? =p

My system will probably still be playing any dvd/hdtv rip you throus at it in years to come, while you already need better CPU to play amazing MKV format. Yet, this discussion still goes on.

AVI is not experimental, DivX is not experimental (they settled it at DivX 5), Xvid is not experimental (RC 2 settled it). ffdshow sure is experimental but that's because they want to add support to knew formats (like ... mkv?), but it's support to divx and xvid hardly don't change for ages ^^

Besides, DivX and Xvid are used EVEN on MKV files so nobody will ever say they are not standard.

Quote: I am here is to keep you from scaring other people off from downloading or using MKV files.

And I'm here to WARN them, not scare them. If your idea of helping people (pretty much like Matroska teams does) is to not let them know the downsizes and overly praise the plus sizes, then this argument is over.

By all means, you like hebrew, karaoke, 6 audio channels, lots of subs? Go on with MKV.

But if you just want to watch an anime title, no reason AT ALL to preffer MKV =p

Signature

chingetscook

chingetscook

Net Slacker

I don't just sit back and let shit go on, I just don't resist when things move forward rather then sticking to old and outdated formats like some other people I know. ;)

Oh and the system that I had that couldn't play back a file... was a 640x480 AVI file using wmv9 and AAC audio with hardsubs (kaa: FMA episode 1). The container didn't have anything to do with the playback problems, it suffered the same in OGM and MKV files, and I do mean exactly the same, you could see it choking exactly the same way and about the same amount. I bet if I took the TNT2 it has out, and put the GF3 I have in another computer in, it would probably do better.

"10 reasons I hate mkv" is not a good way to "warn" people about problems with MKV. Actually, I'm going to call that total BS, your post is just a bunch of bellyaching and complaints that won't fool anyone.

Reason 1 could come close to a warning (you need a Matroska splitter to play back a MKV file).

Reason 2 is just a gripe about audio tracks adding to file size (something that happens to all containers).

Reason 3 is the same as reason 2.

Reason 4 is a gripe about something MKV supports which is transparent to the end users, and is in no way shape or form a warning.

Reason 5 is about the same as reason 4.

Reason 6 is another possible close to a warning, but barely since the difference is less then noticeable.

Reason 7 is the same as reasons 4 and 5.

Reason 8 is a complaint because it makes it harder for you to convert to your favorite archaic format.

Reason 9 combines elements from reasons 2, 3, 4, 5 and 7.

And reason 10 is the only other close one, it doesn't work on Mac or Linux easily...yet. Sounds familiar with Mac and Linux support for a lot of things.

If you want to warn people, repost with "problems you might encounter with MKV files". Include comments that it may use extra CPU time over other containers, that you need a splitter to be able to open them, and that Mac and Linux support is still buggy. You might be able to pass a post like that as a "warning" rather then a rant like your first post.

Signature Image

Caiobrz

Caiobrz

Wispy

To me looks like people got plenty of warning, and a nice fell of how fanatic people can get about MKV ^^v Topic is a sucess.

I like the new, but I like orderly and proper new, not just anything they throw at me ......... like MKV. If AVI is outdated I get you also think JPG, MP3, and other olderst formats are outdated or ... whatever ... don't even fell like arguing about how old vs new is a stupid topic if you are talking to fanatics. You look like the guys who gave their life to OGM when it was NEW ... and OGM is now dying, in a few years it won't even be used anymore, if not replaced by MKV, replaced by anything ... cooler.

You managed to get 10 reasons I hate MKV and reply like "it's a grip", "also a grip", also a personal bias". Not realizing your own arguments are even more biased than mine.

Everything would be fine if MKV would be easily portable to AVI =p

Just write this down: MKV will never surpass AVI in standard. And I know this for a fact. Though I cannot be sure, I bet in 10 years people will be having problem with MKV and OGM, but any system will still play avi.

1% improvement will never be enough to set a new standard.

Signature

chingetscook

chingetscook

Net Slacker

Quote by CaiobrzYou managed to get 10 reasons I hate MKV and reply like "it's a grip", "also a grip", also a personal bias". Not realizing your own arguments are even more biased than mine.

I donno about anyone else, but I think thats funny. I mean comeon, don't you see the humor in that? He says "...10 reasons I hate..." and then accuses me of having bias. XD

Signature Image

pwnt

Jim3535

Jim3535

Shinigami

I would suggest you guys take a look at the Matroska FAQ on doom9.

Specifically:

Quote: 9) Does Matroska need more Processor Power than AVI?
No, you can't tell a difference while reading back AVI or Matroska content on today's processors. Writing currently takes more, but that is mostly because time is needed to refine the writing apps for MKV.

And:

Quote: 11) Why are some matroska files created from AVI smaller than the source itself?
because matroska needs less overhead than the AVI container (especially with vbr-mp3)
you can find a nice overhead comparison by alexnoe here

I was trying to stay away from this topic, but I feel I had to point that out.

On a more serious note, Caiobrz, I would suggest you look into Gentoo Linux. It's a highly customizable distribution that is perfect for minimalist and efficiency freaks. It makes it extremely easy to build all packages from source with compiler options for your specific system.

Signature Image

Caiobrz

Caiobrz

Wispy

Quote: I donno about anyone else, but I think thats funny. I mean comeon, don't you see the humor in that? He says "...10 reasons I hate..." and then accuses me of having bias.

More literal stuff while having no talent whatsoever to argue me back. You pick my words like "hate" and miss pages of arguments about my point, while all you can say it's all personal grips and bias. Yes I see the fun in that, actually, I love fanatics because they just can't see the fun ^^ But I'm used to it, most people can't argue and will just limit themselfes to canned thoughts like "pwned" while not realizing they just signed their own lack of knowledge and understanding ^^

Jim3535: I'm aware of the Matroska FAQ, and I'm also aware that Microsoft's Windows FAQ will point out that Windows XP is the best OS ever. But let me just argue that back:

Quote: No, you can't tell a difference while reading back AVI or Matroska content on today's processors. Writing currently takes more, but that is mostly because time is needed to refine the writing apps for MKV.

keyword: "today's processors". Sure, with a 3.0 Ghz there is no different between AVI and Matroska, but in case you didn't notice, I were talking about less updated systems, where one CAN tell the difference.

Quote: because matroska needs less overhead than the AVI container (especially with vbr-mp3) you can find a nice overhead comparison by alexnoe here

I'm aware of that, please note I DID point out MKV have a lot of pros, and I did mention several times it DOES have a better overhead. I did acknowledge all the good points of MKV in my several posts, the person who won't ever realise nothing is black and white on this topic is the MKV fanatic, not the MKV hater =p

And yet, people will think I was owned ... can't stop laughing =D

Signature

Lenne

Lenne

Warrior Girl

I hate it to! >=0!! I've downloaded a anime serie that is in MKV file,and i can't play it with any of my players.
This is the list of players that i'm using:
Windows media player 10
Real Player
iTunes
DivX
Nero showtime
Quicktime
And i even tried the Core media player but it didn't work.
So,can you help me?.Do you perhaps have a direct link to download a player that can play this type of file?

Signature
My latest work:Best Friends

chingetscook

chingetscook

Net Slacker

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=82303&package_id=84358&release_id=314365

Signature Image

i cant get mkv to run in WMP, apparently the 'codec gods' as was stated, hate me. i had to get some tard player to watch em, it sucks

Caiobrz

Caiobrz

Wispy

MKV is too good to play on WMP of mere mortals, ask the fanatic above and you should be fine ^_^'

i was owned so I wont even bother :nya: :D

Signature

I have to throw in my 2 cents even though this thread is dead... someone's gonna read it sometime just like I did today. I have to say: MKV sucks balls. It's a pain to transcode, requires way more overhead than .avi (experience, not looking at a FAQ, and I am running dual 3 Ghz Xeons... don't even ask me what it does to my laptop). It has no real significant advantages over .avi (multiple audio tracks and sub tracks are a pain when trying to transcode to your ipod or other devices, thus NOT an advantage). The only reason it ever started was some granola munching opensource hippie wanted something "free as in beer". Bah. MKV sucks. It's the bane of my transcoding existence and should be erradicated from the net like the plague that it is. It's been 4 years almost to the day that the above post was made and every one of the problems he mentions still exist... 'nuff said.

page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next » 122 total items

Back to Computers & Internet | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.