Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Raising Kids - Minitokyo

page 1 of 1 16 total items

Shkira

Shkira

Cake!!

A couple of my friends here have the coolest 5 year old. He's obsessed with Gundam, quotes Foamy and sings his songs (illwillpress.com), wears all the superhero gear, plays all the console games, and macks on all the girls.

I'm told he grew up with posters ranging from Sailor Moon to Gundam around his crib. A true otaku from birth.

So anyone give any thought to when they'll start corrupting their kid, or already raising a little anime hellion?

Serious answer in which i got carried away and became not serious at all:
lol wow, well im not planning on corrupting my kid so soon. well when i have kids i wont corrupt them that much so young, the most ill do is let them watch anime in place of that stupid idiotic purple dinosaur becuz i dont want my children to grow up with problems and i dont want to torture them that much... *flashback* "lets see whats in the barney bag kids!" "NO I DONT WANT TO SEE anything IN YOUR f#@!#!@% bag okay" "alright heree we go" "NO MOM SHUT IT OFF TURN IT OFF please ILLL clean MY ROOM Ill WasH THE dishes pleasee" *end of flashback* *whimpers* (lol just kidding)

Serious Answer:
Well when they are young i guess ill expose them to a multitude of things including anime. Once they are old enough ill let them choose for themselves as long as its appropriate for their age (i mean they cant watch hentai no way!) so if they like to watch anime then they can watch that. Ill probably expose them to american stuff more than anime since its more available for kids here, i mean there arent lots of anime for kids. well the point is if my kid turns out like the one you described ill be fine if he likes macking on girls ^_^ (if that doesnt cause any problems) and watching gundam.

The Truth:
Thats my opinion wich will have no effect what so ever since my wife will have final say bcuz im that kind of person whos opinion never has much of an effect. The whole paragraph now has no purpose sine it isnt going to happen... oh well it gave me something to do to pass the time, yeah thinking what i would do if i had the choice. okay ive for the real answer to that question ill go ask my gf what she thinks about it and edit my answer lol ^_^ just kidding (i dont even have a gf *sad face*) wow i could write so much of what i would do if my life was perfect and i could decide everything and theoritically everything went fine, Im serious look forward to it in the spam lounge sometime soon. Ill write it and post it. wow i hope im not boring you Shkira, lol, sorry i get carried away sometimes. actually i KNOW im boring you so sorry.

Shkira

Shkira

Cake!!

Haha, no, not boring me. I was amused with your example! ^_^

There seems to be some wholesome anime for kids, but I don't think they'd help American kids so much as Japanese. But, it's not like I've watched Bottle Fairy dubbed, maybe it's ok... O_o

I think that anime can definately teach some values, just not as obvious as muppet shows... ^_^;;;

lol ^_^ okay i agree if i searched enough there probably is anime for kids. Maybe ill let them watch fansubs so they will learn to read ^_^

ghaleon1103

ghaleon1103

layer 11: INFORNOGRAPHY

I've got a son who's just over a year, and I'm a gamer geek. I've still got my old NES, snes, Genesis w/ Sega CD, and Dreamcast... I got rid of the N64 since I have it emulated... though I have the systems I just named emulated as well. <shrug> When he's ready, I'll let him start with the NES, then move through the generations to my PS2 and Xbox, then to whatever's new at the time. I want him to have an appreciation for how far gaming has come since it's early days, unlike so many kids out there who start their gaming lives on Xbox and claim that all older systems suck. They may not have had the graphics of today's games, but most of them had substance, and many had excellent, thought-provoking stories.
Um, as for anime, I'll let him watch whatever he wants to (provided it's age-appropriate), though I think it'd be great if he liked anime more than American toons, which seem to be taking a sharp decline. I can't flip through the channels during the day and find a single decent cartoon anymore, especially one that doesn't border on (or surpass) adult humor, which a young, impressionable mind shouldn't be viewing in the first place. There's plenty of anime out there which is appropriate for younger viewers, and as the years go by, that amount only increases.
Thanks for allowing me to rant. ^_^

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

Shkira

Shkira

Cake!!

Quote by ghaleon1103I want him to have an appreciation for how far gaming has come since it's early days, unlike so many kids out there who start their gaming lives on Xbox and claim that all older systems suck. They may not have had the graphics of today's games, but most of them had substance, and many had excellent, thought-provoking stories.

Have to agree with you on that one. And a good idea, like an intellectual way of going about it rather than spoiling with the new-edge things.

Quote by ghaleon1103Um, as for anime, I'll let him watch whatever he wants to (provided it's age-appropriate), though I think it'd be great if he liked anime more than American toons, which seem to be taking a sharp decline. I can't flip through the channels during the day and find a single decent cartoon anymore, especially one that doesn't border on (or surpass) adult humor, which a young, impressionable mind shouldn't be viewing in the first place.

Aside from cartoons, the "educational" kids programming seem too ridiculous. Instead of teaching them, it looks like they're dumbing them down...

Quote by ghaleon1103Thanks for allowing me to rant. ^_^

Thank YOU for posting your opinion/views. I do like reading them! =^_^=

tuxedotservo

tuxedotservo

-- gone and very much forgotten

Quote by ShkiraA couple of my friends here have the coolest 5 year old. He's obsessed
with Gundam, quotes Foamy and sings his songs (illwillpress.com), wears
all the superhero gear, plays all the console games, and macks on all
the girls. I'm told he grew up with posters ranging from Sailor Moon to
Gundam around his crib. A true otaku from birth. So anyone give any
thought to when they'll start corrupting their kid, or already raising
a little anime hellion?

I started very early ^^ Around 2 1/2 - 3. My daughter had glimpses of Sailor Moon, and has watched "Kiki's Delivery Service" (once even with the Japanese!) countless times.

My work has only begun. Mwauauau.

--
tuxedotservo
Palpatine for Emperor - Why Settle for the Lesser Evil?
Dancing to the beat of a different drummer, and it's not pretty.

as soon as my kids are old enough( when i have some) i will start to corrupt them

Signature

Shaka

Shaka

Ni Ten Ichi Ryu

Well of such stick, such splinter, I realy like the anime, the manga and the games but give allaccess to one boy since child, I don't think what this be the best idea, because one day he going to grow up and be a otaku permanent don't is my idea of raise to one of my childrens, thinking good I prefere give one novel or one good book a anime book to my son's. :\

Shkira

Shkira

Cake!!

Quote by tuxedotservo
I started very early ^^ Around 2 1/2 - 3. My daughter had glimpses of Sailor Moon, and has watched "Kiki's Delivery Service" (once even with the Japanese!) countless times.
My work has only begun. Mwauauau.

Miyazaki's a great place to start! =^_^=

Quote by KireiLeeas soon as my kids are old enough( when i have some) i will start to corrupt them

That's the spirit, lol!!

Quote by ShakaWell of such stick, such splinter, I realy like the anime, the manga and the games but give allaccess to one boy since child, I don't think what this be the best idea, because one day he going to grow up and be a otaku permanent don't is my idea of raise to one of my childrens, thinking good I prefere give one novel or one good book a anime book to my son's. :\

I think you can introduce them to anything, like anime, and then as they grow older they make their own decisions on what they like and how much. Sort of how you're forced to watch Sesame Street or something and then you learn how lame it is or grow up past it and it's left behind you.

Anime though... it can evolve with you. Start with Miyazaki and when you're older move on to NGE and the like... ^_^;; So yea, that might be something to watch for! ~_^

anjovu

anjovu

the Eternal Traveller

I'd like to answer to your question but
but
I don't have any kids.

That's an interesting question.

Quote by anjovuI'd like to answer to your question but
but
I don't have any kids.

That's an interesting question.

LOLLLL i dont have kids either ^_^ i just answered what i will do when i DO have kids (well not me of course my wife will be the one having the kids lolll) OH! your 29!!! you should be planning what youll do more than me im only 16

Shkira

Shkira

Cake!!

29, yes, well... I try not to imagine when I'll have kids because right now I just really don't want to.

eclair-chan

eclair-chan

-=addicted to you=-

heheh I will have the whole house filled with anime even before I have kids mwahahahahaha! so they will grow up liking anime ..I could already imagine the babies room hmmm *thinking position* surrounded by all my fav anime instead of little tedyy bears he/she will be surrounded with anime plushies! and baby music box will have j-rock instead of that crappy lallubuy's mwahahahaha..yes I know I'm evil ..well not really ...all of them will grow up lovin anime I hope ^_^' that will happen in 1..5..7...8..9 yrs or..umm ..huh in the future I got myself confused again hehe ..but yeah I hope they grow up liking anime XD

Signature

AngelKate

AngelKate

~*Lady Sweetness*~

I'm sure when (or if) I ever have children, I'll introduce them to anime when they are old enough to understand it. Dubbed anime when they are little, and once they can read better, I'll start showing them subbed anime. I'm sure it won't be the only thing they see, but I'd want them to appreciate anime and its artwork and music as much as they might appreciate American cartoons.

Signature
Not really walling much anymore D: Feel free to browse my gallery, though!
Thank you for the siggy and avy, Kitten! ^_^

anjovu

anjovu

the Eternal Traveller

OK, my mates,

I'm 29, that's don't make me young, especially comparaire with you.
I plan to have a big family 3-4 kids (because I'm only child).
It's just as Shkira said, I don't feel like it this moment.
If I've got kids, I'll rather not be able things that I want to fulfill before.
And I don't want to get kids to old, I'd look more a grand-pa that a papa.
So, I'm on the edge of a decision...still cool and smooth.

Then I stop now to talk about myself, next time I'll try to give an answer of what I would do in the future with kids...

page 1 of 1 16 total items

Back to Love, Friends & Family | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.