Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Strike!!!! - Minitokyo

page 1 of 1 10 total items

RainOfStars

RainOfStars

Elusive Dream

I was posting on a thread made by az-chan "economy", and one thing pops in my mind.

Is it ok for workers to strike?

In our society, workers are given the right to strike. But is that right? The workers are hired in the beginning for a certain pay and benefit. They agreed to work for that amount, so why should they be able to demand more. And why can't the employer fire them if they go on strike.
When people goes on strike, they drag down the whole economy with them. Other people will lose their job because of it. It is not fairto the general public who will always end up paying.

In my opinion, people shouldn't have the right to strike.

Now you guys can answer the question.

Signature

BRN

You have a point, however sometimes striking is the only way to check against possible corporate abuses. No one strikes without a reason (except in baseball). If honest men strike, there is a probelm that they are drawing attention to. What I don't like are unions, they just plain suck.

Going on strike is another part of our system, that is painful, but neccesary to support the checks and balances the system has to keep everything level. Striking serves a purpose when it is done for a good reason.

Iyasis

Iyasis

:: Crystal Winter ::

You bring up a very good and interesting point RainOfStars.

It does seem somewhat of a flawed system if worker are allowed to go on strike since they've agreed and probably signed contracts to receive a certain amount of money, benefits, and securities for their employment. Additionally, as you've mentioned, there are certain jobs that are essential for society to function. Public transit strikes strand commuters; health worker strikes endangers lives; garbage strikes destroy the environment. Strikes like these can literally paralyze society with devasting consequences. Also, strikes can have a destructive ripple effect ~ a public transit strike results in many people unable to work, if people don't work, it hurts businesses and thereby the local economy. If a business is part of a more international network, such as banks, damage can even ben on a global scale.

Although definitely important, these reasons should not mean that workers should be stripped entirely of their right to protest and demand better. Everyday the world, society, and the workplace changes. Some demands of the worker as outlined in a contract signed years ago may not be suitable or apporpiate in the present day. What might have been considered a good salary for a certain profession might have increased over the years Sometimes a company may decide to drop or replace some benefits and securities it had originally provided to it's workers ~ benefits such as health/dental/childcare. In such cases, I think workers should have the right to demand more and even take stirke action if it's necessary.

I know I've contridicted myself by giving points for each side of the argument, but I think it's important to analyze siutations from different perspectives to fully understand the scope of the matter. As a conclusion, I believe workers should be able to take job actions if necessary but I also believe that they have to consider the consequences and impact that their actions will have on the rest of society.

if you are hired to do a job do it and don't bitch

Signature

when you look into the shadows you will find a friend

Thanks DREAM for the great sig

koohyuko

Nandeyanen?

Striking should be allowed, though limited. For instance, workers who strike to try to get safer working conditions are okay. But if you're like a baseball player(or hockey player, as of recently), and you get payed millions of dollars, there should be no need to strike. People who get paid millions and strike because they, "don't get paid enough" are just wrong.

Akaiken

Akaiken

Ike, Fin Funnel!

Quote by koohyukoStriking should be allowed, though limited. For instance, workers who strike to try to get safer working conditions are okay. But if you're like a baseball player(or hockey player, as of recently), and you get payed millions of dollars, there should be no need to strike. People who get paid millions and strike because they, "don't get paid enough" are just wrong.

Agreed. Workers should only strike when needed and/or for their safety. Sometimes, workers are forced to do so because of their employers not giving them their additional incentives and it's not right. I think every country has the law that protects employees from such actions.

Signature
Unit No. - RX-93
Unit Name - Nu Gundam

Yes.

A local brewery went on a strike that lasted one month. They finally reached an agreement a few days ago. The union workers striking were hurting, and so was the brewery as well. In the end, it's all about one thing: compromise.

Without strikes, the workers are at the mercy of the company. Everybody would have low paying jobs and low benefits as well. Strikes are the only thing that can help prevent these things. If companies had the ability to fire workers, this economy would be much slower than it would during a strike. The unemployment rate would be incredibly high. The economy really doesn't slow down much during a strike -- unless it's a very big strike with a company that has a monopoly, we wouldn't be affected much.

Some strikes are good. Others are fueled by greed. We still need them, however.

wolfco

wolfco

Prelate

There is certainly no reason for people in the entertainment industry to strike. I understand that baseball players and such need to make enough money to have some in reserve when they get to old to play (only so many coaching positions available), but it is ridiculous for them to whine about money. My work doesn't paid me when I'm not productive or when I'm unable to work for months due to injury.

i totally OK with other areas of industry going on strike. It may interfere with or even harm my life, but I understand that sometimes only drastic action bring results.

If you would challenge me, then you must first stand before the Darkness. You must look into it and become it. You must fall before it and then reach out to encompass it. When it is joined to your heart, you must overcome its insidious temptation. You are ready to face me when you can betray even your own heart in service to your cause.

SilentMasamune

SilentMasamune

I'm all washed up. . .

Workers of a public company cannot go on strike. For each day that they do go on strike, they will lose more and more money, and in most cases, the amount of money lost each day will increase. Because of this, there may not be enough money in the end to pay off the workers, so some of the workers will have to get laid off the job. Workers of private companies have the better chance to go on strike when their contracts expire or when they're looking for justice of some sort.

Signature Image
Support Limerock Cafe - full feature forum and gallery

page 1 of 1 10 total items

Back to Love, Friends & Family | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.