Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Day of the death? - Minitokyo

Day of the death?

page 1 of 1 13 total items

tripleG

tripleG

To simply be

Well I was just wondering wether you celebrate the death in your country... here in mexico there is a day called: "El dia de los muertos" which we celebrate the 10th of November. People usually do an altar to someone who died putting in it their favourite food and stuff. Plus you get to give your friends a chocolate skull with his or her name written on the forehead... (it's fun).

So do you have a day like this in your country?

Signature

celebril

celebril

Follower of Toshiya - Basslord!

I'm pretty sure we don't have anything like that in England, which is a shame really - we should remember people who are no longer with us

Signature
	Image Without Toshiya there is nothing!
(colourbar by caged of creep graphics)
Proud member of album-critique // Gacktfans // J-Rockers // JMusic-Quiz-Lovers // Loveless-Neko // MT-UK

Quote by tripleGWell I was just wondering wether you celebrate the death in your
country... here in mexico there is a day called: "El dia de los
muertos" which we celebrate the 10th of November. People usually do an
altar to someone who died putting in it their favourite food and stuff.
Plus you get to give your friends a chocolate skull with his or her
name written on the forehead... (it's fun). So do you have a day like
this in your country?

Giving someone a chocolate skull with his or her name written on its forehead seems a bit rude to the dead ne?
No, in canada we dont do that. Though, my family does do something. My family(japanese side) Usually get ribbons and go to the cemetarys in which people they know that are dead, and usually tie or place a black ribbon around a tree or on the tombstone. My grandmother said its a sign of respect to the dead. Though, im not too keen on some japanese traditions>.<

Hello Everyone.
about the question ... here in Portugal we also have a day for the dead and it is in the same day that tripleG's days, probably because the latin countrys are very similar in cultures.

But i must say that the only thing that is equal is the date ;). Here we go to the cemetery (the cemeteries fiil up)... do the celebration of the mass there and that's about it.
That thing of the chocolate skull is very original i must say ... but it is a little creepy also.

P.S.: Every one tries is best to do something that we used to do with that person when she/he was alive .... here in portugal there is a lot of respect for the dead one's, really a lot of respect for those things

Whatever i try to do (and eventually achieve) .... I put all my heart in it.
That is how i am :D !

Signature

Special Thanks to Crys that gave us a link to what bunny finally achieved " What Bunny Has Been Up To... "

Itami-Chan

Itami-Chan

Mrs.Kakashi..and sn34k3rs master

ummm well i dont think we do that here hehhee but i know my parents and most chinese people usually around july or so (?) i dont remember what month but we usually make alot of food, burn incense , and they also burn papers that represent money,clothing or watever u can think of for the dead:D

sig and avvy made by k1ru! ^.^

inuyashalove04

inuyashalove04

inuai-chan

I'm sure that we don't do that here in the US. Some people might; as their own thing, but as a country, no. Wish we did...

Signature Image
"I personally believe that each of us was put here for a purpose-- to build not to destroy. If I can make people smile, then I have served my purpose for God." - Red Skelton

mineharu

mineharu

Mine powahh!

Here it is very important, i'm a close friend of tripleg and i'm studying graphic design and my school makes us make an altar about famous ppl that have already died or an important date with a tragic incident it can be a traditional altar (for mexican or foreign famous ppl)or a modern altar (this is an altar that needs alot of creativity and as an example it could be Superman, the actor died and they made an altar for him with the logo and the movies where playing etc..) , and last time i made one for the ppl that died on September 11th, we won second place in the modern altar competition, and it is not just that but it is a good way to honor those that have already gone.. and to celebrate maybe it sounds rude and stuff, but it is that you still enjoy being with that person being dead or alive, that's why here in mexico it is important.. it doesn't matter where you are, you are still here in our hearts. My group and i are wondering to do this year, an altar to the creator of Astro Boy, that was an important person in anime and in manga, and it is called Tezuka Osamu.

Signature

ejwcobra

ejwcobra

Master Hacker

well, the Christian (Catholic really) Black Friday is widely celebrated all over the place. It only honors the Messiah's death, and is followed on Sunday by Easter (the day Jesus was resurrected, of course).

Other than that, Americans have Memorial Day (during the spring/early summer) which honors our fallen troops.

Think deeply of simple things.

candida

candida

Megumi

Well, about me, my father is half Mexicano and half Peruvian so I have heard a lot about "El Dia de los meurtos". My family does not celebrate it though, not just because we live in the states (hispanic people that live here still celebrate it) but because we are Jehovah's Witnesses. We celebrate the memorial of Jesus Christ and that's pretty much it. I don't know if you know much about my religion but we don't celebrate anything, including our birthdays, but that. Don't get me wrong, we are not a sad people. We have parties very often and give gifts to eachother because we want to and not just because they are graduating or because it is their birthday. We do it out of love. When I took that quiz on why am I sad, that result was before I actually dedicated my life as one of Jehovah's Witnesses. So now that I have, I am very happy, surrounded by people that know me by name and who love me. But back to the whole death thing, we are sad when someone we love dies, but we have a hope that we will see them again, not in heaven but here on earth in a paradise that will soon take place. So my answer is no, there is Memorial Day for the states but for my family, no. We take that hope and the memoried of the person with us and remember them by helping out the family and taking care of their needs. Wow! I wrote a lot! :) Guess I'll talk to ya later, bye!

I can't do anything like that. I can just curse people.

mariska

mariska

Ruka

I lived in mexico for 8 months or so, and that was the first time I actually heard of anything like that,. Some collegues there invited me to teir house to celebrate with them, and it was a really strange experience for me since I've never know anything like it. But it somehow felt really special. And I think it's a nice thought that you won't be forgotten once you've died.

Signature
We were meant to live for so much more
Have we lost ourselves?
Somewhere we live inside

lthnadml

lthnadml

Chasing shadows . . .

Do we have anything like that in Greece? Hmmm! Lets see. . . around February there is a day we call it soulsday and we make sweets from wheat and give them to people at the cemetery.At that day we think that dead people is down the earth and visit the love ones.
Yeah! i think is similar to yours El dia de los muertos. :) :) :)

A nocturnal concerto,Candlelight whispers me where to go,Hymn of gathering stars as my guide,As I wander on this path of the night

I don't think there is one in my country (canada) and I f there is I don't know which it is. so if somebody know you can let me know ;)

Some mistakes are too cruel to make it twice...

Signature

Here in Germany, we don't have such a day, which is a pitty i think, because thinking of the dead on a national red-letter day would be a good idea to connect the people much closer to each other.

page 1 of 1 13 total items

Back to Off-topic Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.