Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 N.Korea may return to nuclear talks - Minitokyo

N.Korea may return to nuclear talks

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 25 total items

Archer79

Nerdly Ghost

I was just reading on MSN -> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8557203
"N. Korea says goal is nuclear-free peninsula"

This is good news to many, as this means there may be peace in a situation that might otherwise lead to war.

Quote by http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8557203BEIJING - North Korean leader Kim Jong Il told a visiting Chinese diplomat Wednesday that his country seeks a nuclear-free Korean Peninsula, China's official Xinhua News Agency reported.

wolfco

wolfco

Prelate

I hope it is true and not just political gesturing. Basically I'll believe it when I see it.

If you would challenge me, then you must first stand before the Darkness. You must look into it and become it. You must fall before it and then reach out to encompass it. When it is joined to your heart, you must overcome its insidious temptation. You are ready to face me when you can betray even your own heart in service to your cause.

Archer79

Nerdly Ghost

Quote by wolfcoI hope it is true and not just political gesturing. Basically I'll believe it when I see it.

I agree. ...However, I do think it's possible. ...Previously, the USA (and maybe other countries?) was providing significant resources as a bonus for mothballing their nuclear program... ...It's entirely possible they're again more interested in peace than war.

hiddensnakehands

hiddensnakehands

Captain Obvious

Well, there has been promises like this a lot of time already from North Korea in the past, what happens? It continues to carry on its project
With the US entrapping itself in the whole Iraqi and Supreme Court business, N. Korea is sending this message to US that they are at least somewhat willing to talk. Also could be an indication that N.Korea is unable to afford to supply food to its citizens. I mean, N.Korea is so closed that we do not know exactly what is going on.
What does need to get mentioned here is this happens right after the visit by US Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice to China, the theme of the visit seems to be presssuring N.Korea back to the table. Also S. Korea decides to aid N.Korea on Monday, so all signs right now point to a talk to take a place.
I personally think N.Korea government cannot be trusted, but that for the sake of World safety, we need to bear it

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

kirchu

kirchu

Ryo

*sigh* So many countries have nuclear bombs..>_<

i truely don't think north korea will do that but i'd be nice though...

I wish I had nuclear weapons.

I am a self-proclaimed super genius and the future potentate of the universe; you may bow before me if you wish.

EternalParadox

Retired Moderator

EternalParadox

.:Enigma Mod:.

Quote by ArcherIt's entirely possible they're again more interested in peace than war.

Of course NK is interested in peace, not war. It knows that it cannot win in an armed confrontation with the US, and China will not back it with militarily the same way it did 50 years ago.

The game that NK is playing is to continue the talks in order to buy time. It's aim is to temporarily appease the US, reduce American intelligence activities, and thus giving themselves the chance to step up their clandestine development of nuclear weapons. This return to the talks is I believe just the latest facade so that the next time they pull out, they will do so completely and with a demonstrated nuclear capability in hand.

EternalParadox
Previously the Forum, Vector Art, and Policy Moderator

hiddensnakehands

hiddensnakehands

Captain Obvious

Quote by EternalParadox

Quote by ArcherIt's entirely possible they're again more interested in
peace than war.

Of course NK is interested in peace, not war. It knows that it cannot
win in an armed confrontation with the US, and China will not back it
with militarily the same way it did 50 years ago. The game that NK is
playing is to continue the talks in order to buy time. It's aim is to
temporarily appease the US, reduce American intelligence activities,
and thus giving themselves the chance to step up their clandestine
development of nuclear weapons. This return to the talks is I believe
just the latest facade so that the next time they pull out, they will
do so completely and with a demonstrated nuclear capability in hand.

Agreed

However, I do not think N.Korea has the capacity to continue working on their own nuclear project. I know that 80% of their GDP are spent on military, however. I personally do not consider N.Korea to be as great of a threat as Iraq before the war.

EternalParadox

Retired Moderator

EternalParadox

.:Enigma Mod:.

I think NK can continue their program. Maybe not with the same rapidity as it would like, but that's the point of their game, to buy more time so that eventually they can have that capacity. They do spent a vast amount of their very limited resources on this project, and thus progress will be made if it is not stopped. A rather disconcerting prospect of their intentions, but this whole "we'll go back to the talks" thing really is meaningless to me. They're gonna try to build a bomb regardless, they're currently just making it easier on themselves by getting the US less on their backs.

EternalParadox
Previously the Forum, Vector Art, and Policy Moderator

hiddensnakehands

hiddensnakehands

Captain Obvious

Quote by EternalParadoxI think NK can continue their program. Maybe not with the same rapidity
as it would like, but that's the point of their game, to buy more time
so that eventually they can have that capacity. They do spent a vast
amount of their very limited resources on this project, and thus
progress will be made if it is not stopped. A rather disconcerting
prospect of their intentions, but this whole "we'll go back to the
talks" thing really is meaningless to me. They're gonna try to build a
bomb regardless, they're currently just making it easier on themselves
by getting the US less on their backs.

I hope this time US really puts some pressure on North Korea,
N.Korea is what you would describe as some girlfriends, hit you three times then play with you, after that hit you three times again

shermanramni

Sherman, the Ramni

Atomic weaponry is the biggest misuse of technology in Earth' story. I like the "nuclear central" idea the best.
Good thing that Korea shows the will of helping erradicate that evil. Hope we'll soon have a more peaceful planet.

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

With all that is going on in the world today it's nice to hear of something positive happening... a resumption of talks would definitely be a step in the right direction...

Well, just because they say it, doesnt necessarily mean that it WILL happen. I mean, from what i remember, they've said this many times before right. As others here have said, i will believe it when it actually happens.

Although, it would be awesome and a great improvement in the world if countries officially stopped threatening eachother with nuclear bombs and atomic bombs.
I've recently seen a some-what old film named "The Day After..." ...no people, not the day after tomorrow>.<
Basiclly these people from a city created this detailed film to show coutries and people viewing it the traggedies that CAN happen if attacked by a nuclear bomb. It basiclly started with Russia and US sending nuclear bombs to eachother..and these people just standing there..watching it hit the ground...its was a terrible thing to watch..but its good to know what happens.

^.^

hiddensnakehands

hiddensnakehands

Captain Obvious

Quote by shermanramniAtomic weaponry is the biggest misuse of technology in Earth' story. I like the "nuclear central" idea the best.
Good thing that Korea shows the will of helping erradicate that evil. Hope we'll soon have a more peaceful planet.

lol, I think we might be naive if we think N.Korea is sincere about this. They are just buying time. Unless America put more pressure on them, N.Korea would never be sincere

hongrboi

hongrboi

getting pwned by school

I really hope they are stopping their project. The US and russia combined have enoguh to destroy the world 12 times over. i hope US and Russia will start backing down too..

"Once two star have collided and return to their orbit, the chance of colliding again is infinity small, for there are many other possible collisions."
Signature Image
Latest wall ::A Void in my Heart::

Archer79

Nerdly Ghost

Quote by hongrboiI really hope they are stopping their project. The US and russia combined have enoguh to destroy the world 12 times over. i hope US and Russia will start backing down too..

Hypothetically, they already have. ...They reduced the warheads on MIRV warheads, etc. ...And there have also been other negotiations. ...I think they were called start treaties. Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty or somesuch...

Edit: read this: http://www.ceip.org/files/projects/npp/resources/start1text.htm#I

Edit: And this: http://www.ceip.org/programs/npp/start2text.htm

And probably these:
http://www.carnegieendowment.org/npp/moscowtreaty.cfm
http://www.carnegieendowment.org/npp/ABMtext.cfm
http://www.carnegieendowment.org/npp/npttext.cfm

Or more on non-proliferation at:
http://www.carnegieendowment.org/npp/country/index.cfm?fa=view&id=94
or... ...well.. Google...

bbls

bbls

Lazy days...

Quote by EternalParadoxThe game that NK is
playing is to continue the talks in order to buy time. It's aim is to
temporarily appease the US, reduce American intelligence activities,
and thus giving themselves the chance to step up their clandestine
development of nuclear weapons. This return to the talks is I believe
just the latest facade so that the next time they pull out, they will
do so completely and with a demonstrated nuclear capability in hand.

i also suspect that n.korea is just posturing and buying time to continue with their nuclear weapons program. kim jung il is only concerned with preserving his regime and probably believes that having wmds will insure the survival of his dictatorship. i just don't have any faith in him to try to join the international communiity and loosen his grip on his country. it seems that kim jung il believes that he has no incentive to end his nuclear program, especially when he obviously doesn't even care that his people are starving and living miserably.

Quote by hiddensnakehands
I hope this time US really puts some pressure on North Korea, N.Korea
is what you would describe as some girlfriends, hit you three times
then play with you, after that hit you three times again

and i really don't think it's so much what the u.s. can do to pressure n.korea, it's more what china does that will make all the difference here. pres. bush already has been quite tough and firm about not giving into n.korea's demand to engage us in one on one talks because we got burned previously.

besides, kim jung il luvs to see us squirm and scramble every time they announce something dire, like his announcement that they had weapons already, but just hadn't tested them yet. he just luvs to sucker punch us right in the gut. so, i think it was when china was more attuned to our position during sec. of state rice's visit that n.korea became more receptive to returning to the talks. i think there will be a chance to avert a crisis if the u.s., china, and s. korea all have the same position and speak with one voice. i still feel that china is the biggest player here.

Don't worry about tomorrow, don't think about yesterday,
don't live in the future, just make it through today!

Signature Image

I don't know much about north korea, but the last time I heard about them was a documentary done about the life and the people living under that crazy tyrant, I'm sure they are not looking for peace

hiddensnakehands

hiddensnakehands

Captain Obvious

If US does not take this opportunity and crush N.Korea of any hope of developing a nuclear weapon, it will turn out to be another IRAQ pretty soon

Hahaha.... I was just waiting for something like this to happen. My older brother keep warning me about North Korea and there ways with nucs. Well anyway if this does lead to a war I'm just saying there's gonna be a lot of missing MT members here on Minitokyo. But if they keep pussing things like this say bye bye to your nice warm beds.

Archer79

Nerdly Ghost

Quote by hiddensnakehands If US does not take this opportunity and crush N.Korea of any hope of developing a nuclear weapon, it will turn out to be another IRAQ pretty soon

Well... ...Fortuantely, even if it gets that way, I doubt that there will be misguided extremists trying to blow anything they think might matter up. ...It's ironic. ...If folks wanted the USA out of Iraq, all they really needed to do was quit blowing stuff up, and let peace have a chance. ...Oh well!

KamikazeKoga

KamikazeKoga

??????????

Even if N. Korea says that they will return to talks, it doesn't mean that they will actually listen to what US, Japan, or any other country says. Kim Jong Il is the type of leader that will not listen to what others says. Until another leader (less radical than Kim Jong Il) replaces him, this problem will continue.

XDE

XDE

Scanning XDE, CPA: Unknown

Don't Worry About Nukes They Will Probably Never Be Launched However What You Should Fear Is Pollution Because If Our Athmosphere Disapears It Will Be All Over For Us.

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 25 total items

Back to Love, Friends & Family | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.