Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 100 dead in Baghdad....and you think london was horrible? - Minitokyo

100 dead in Baghdad....and you think london was horrible?

page 1 of 1 20 total items

littlejonny100

Retired Moderator

littlejonny100

Rusty Slave

I'm sure a few people might have heard about it in it's 5 minute coverage on the evening news...that around 100 people were killed in a single suicide bombing attack south of Baghdad. I'm sure for a lot of people this'll be the first they hear of it.... and if it is it's just proof that so many are selfish and that they really don't care about humanity. I don't like the way i'm sounding either but london steals all tv channels for a weeks on end for how many people died. Why was london so significant to the world??? Answer that without sounding coky and selfish.
I welcome people to abuse my stance here because i'm curious as to how people could prove it wrong. As long as it's contructive criticism i welcome it?

"Do upon others as they would do upon you......except do it sooner, more often and better! "

projectpaper

projectpaper

PapeR!!

i agree with you.. think you're right...

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

Media coverage and also the shock that a supposedly formidable city like London has suffered similar fate.

It's something that happens almost everyday there. If the news covered all mass murders in third world countries as much as they did for more civilized countries like London, it would be impossible to broadcast news about anything else because of how common it is. It's something that happens all the time in places like Baghdad. If you're going to bring this up, you might as well talk about how the news never covers people being murdered in large numbers in other places governed by people who oppress and murder citizens, such as Africa or China.

Signature

littlejonny100

Retired Moderator

littlejonny100

Rusty Slave

Exactly....but no one cares but the moment it happened to london half the first world jumped up in protest. The long threads crying over london attacks but the moment it comes to a third world country.......did the innocent people there have it coming because it's their war? If a bad guy kills the good guys it's horrible but when a good guy kills some bad guys it's justfied...

"Do upon others as they would do upon you......except do it sooner, more often and better! "

Other countries actually do care about third world countries. There's hundreds of organizations made to help people living in those places that are donating money, food and supplies to poor nations all the time.

But when something like this happens in a well-protected and civilized country where there are almost no killings in large numbers, it is a big deal. I think violence everywhere and to anyone is bad no matter what. But depending on the circumstances of the murder, it'll effect the public view in different ways.

Signature

xshintax

Gif files are Compu$erve

The diffrence in those two attackss is that bombings in Baghdad are meant to kill people, and the bombings in London were meant to scare people. Easy as that. Also liberal media a-holes are selfish and greedy and well... a-holes..

Wtf is your problem?!?

Why the f*** do I need to use proprietary filetypes in my signature and avatar? Stupid Minitokyo... STUPID COMPU$ERVE! Use png instead.

hiddensnakehands

hiddensnakehands

Captain Obvious

Put in simple term
London bombing, first time in over ages
Baghdad, thats like everyday, how are we supposed to cover all of them in detail

I'm glad the British knew better than to get all paranoid and scared. They resumed their lives the very next day. No unnecessary drama, except on Fox but we all know that Fox news is the worst in the nation.

What is bugging me more is all that coverage on that stupid Natalee Holloway case. One random white drunk bimbo walked out of a club with three guys without letting anybody else know and ends up dead somewhere. Remind me why I should care? People go missing everyday, in our own country. It's been over a month already and it's just one girl, get over it.

123 out of the 124 students agree: Viva Aruba! :D

Be Free and Masturbate

ultimashower

ultimashower

Reppin' The Nice Guys

The media will portray what will get them the most attention.

I disagree with your stance however, because you're quantifying human life. Even one death to an attack is horrible.

HTML Coding Hates Me...

hiddensnakehands

hiddensnakehands

Captain Obvious

human life are all equal
There is nothing wrong with paying more attention to a civilized nation than a noncivilized one

ultimashower

ultimashower

Reppin' The Nice Guys

Quote by hiddensnakehands human life are all equal
There is nothing wrong with paying more attention to a civilized nation than a noncivilized one

Civilized is a matter of perspective.

HTML Coding Hates Me...

littlejonny100

Retired Moderator

littlejonny100

Rusty Slave

My dogs more civilised than a lot of people i know and meet

cifiryn

cifiryn

~ Erase & Rewrite ~

Quote by MissAerithIt's something that happens almost everyday there. If the news covered all mass murders in third world countries as much as they did for more civilized countries like London, it would be impossible to broadcast news about anything else because of how common it is.

"Civilized countries"...? And what is that exactly? Care to explain? Or do you mean fisrt world countries?
So all the "third world countries" are uncivilized people...? Interesting...

i agree, it happens all the time, so it's normal that you don't hear about it, every single time it happens.

But, on the other hand, I hear everyday: "15 USA soldiers died in Iraq", "12 USA soldiers died in Iraq" and so on... I never hear anything about the innocent civils that died because of the war in Iraq... I wonder why...??

Aa-chan

Aa-chan

AA-CHAN

I think the title of this thread is pretty disrespectful to those who lost their lives in London and also those in Baghdad.
The simple answer is that Baghdad is still being fought over and there are a number of explosions that occur. London however does not have explosions going off on a day to day basis. This doesn't make it more important, but that's why it gets more coverage. It will always be the way, right or wrong.

Follow AA-CHAN as he teaches English in South Korea and enjoys his K-Pop music fandoms up close!

http://aa-chan.net/blog/

Well the difference is that the London bombing was committed by terrorists or so it seems. But the bombings in Iraq are caused by war and those suicide bombers in Iraq are not acts of terrorism, but acts of Guerrilla warfare. Also, there are bound to be those kind of things happenning in Iraq because war is still happening over there.

Signature Image

Groups.....::Minitokyo-Australia::. .::Chibi-Fest::. .::KpopFans::.

- from patients comes perfection, although patients has it's limits -

unicorn2006

Retired Moderator

unicorn2006

:.ICE:.:BIN.:

hm.. you're asking people to give you constructive criticism when you yourself, as aa-chan said, are being disrespectful to the victims and their families in London. You are also unfairly criticizing people as being selfish and cold-hearted toward humanity just because they may not have heard of the news.

And yes, it may be unfair and unfortunate that Baghdad gets less coverage than does London. But welcome to the realities of the media.

I guess one big thing is that this Baghdad incident is also tragic, but less surprising. There's a war going on in Iraq, and the US already has to deal with the upsetting news of its own troops being killed everyday; deaths in Baghdad are not new news. I also think that the London bombings have eerie semblances to 9/11, which is why it may be more disturbing and shocking to many countries. The fact that there are other states aiding the US in their war on terror, and that Al Qaeda keeps threatening to strike at those who do, are enough to disturb people.

But whatever it is, putting all that aside, I think you should be a bit more considerate in how you say these things. I think your accusatory tone is quite unnecessary.

The London bombings were horrible. So was the Baghdad bombing. We shouldn't be qualifying these tragedies and comparing them as if either one can win out the other because such deaths are never justified.

"Faith means believing in something that will only make sense in reverse."
"When men are the most sure and arrogant they are commonly the most mistaken..."

While the frequency of Iraq bombings compared to those in London could explain the
difference in coverage (although the fact such attacks in Iraq are common make it more horrific), I think it's more to do with how one is more "close to home" than the other. It's how the media works; it will cover to a higher degree news that they believe pertains more to the audience. There's no money made reporting news that people don't care about.

Coverage on London's attack was high because people who don't even live in Britain feel that this attack is directed against them & their way of life.
Bombings in Iraq feel faraway and don't incite fears that similar occurences will happen to them.

You're right that it seems selfish that people care more about what horrors happen to one group of people versus another. It's not okay; that's how people think.
If some stranger's pet dog dies, you think that's sad.
If your pet dog dies, your life won't be the same.
Here, the same thing happens and are equally unfortunate; it's just a difference of the significance you place on it.

The media needs to work on making people more aware of what's happening elsewhere,
people shouldn't make light of the crimes occuring to others, and both should give terrible events their equal dues.

Quote by littlejonny100100 dead in Baghdad....and you think london was horrible?

Both were horrible, right?

screenlooker

screenlooker

master chief's real face

Quote by ultimashowerThe media will portray what will get them the most attention.

I disagree with your stance however, because you're quantifying human life. Even one death to an attack is horrible.

i agree with this,however, i dont disagree with your stance, but i think that the reason that didnt get any attention because a lot of the news producers may be racist.

maybe they dont like middle eastern people because they prejudge them to all be terrorists
and how many more middle eastern people have died as opposed to americans etc.

Godfrey of Ibelin: Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth, always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong. That is your oath.

hiddensnakehands

hiddensnakehands

Captain Obvious

Quote by screenlookermaybe they dont like middle eastern people because they prejudge them to all be terrorists
and how many more middle eastern people have died as opposed to americans etc.

you can do better than that, media is so liberal

page 1 of 1 20 total items

Back to Love, Friends & Family | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.