Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 help, userpage problem ( images are very far apart) - Minitokyo

help, userpage problem ( images are very far apart)

page 1 of 1 14 total items

Ayasal

Ayasal

Return, Into The Mist

my userpage is all werid, all of my pictures and words are all far apart,
hiddensnakehands tried to fix it by taking out all of my codes, so basically it is like the default userpage, but it still fails to display properly.
if you initially attempt to load it in firefox, you would notice for a sec here that it is displayed properly, the images are right next to each other, however, when it finishes loading, the images became very far apart. I don't know the cause of this issue.
can please someone help.

Relinquish your Dreams of Paradise
Signature

hiddensnakehands

hiddensnakehands

Captain Obvious

Well, so, I actually look at the code for her page
I clear out all the code she put in there. Her submissions are still very far apart. For a second, Firefox will actually display her wallpaper submissions correctly. But when it finishes loading, it just stretches across the whole screen.
Please investigate as this is not a user issue

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

Kenichi

Kenichi

Retired MT Member

hey hey Ayasal
hm.. that's weird.~
so you tryed to currect the codes, making sure there's no spaces in between?
ur images are not big are they?

well i can't think of any other solutions. ~_~@~
i'm still trying to figure to make my bg userpage all black.

Signature

Tama-Neko

Tama-Neko

Invisible

The problem is with HOLIC's signature. Without a single space or break in the text, it becomes a single long line that breaks the layout.
I've PM'd HOLIC asking to edit the signature.
Longer explanation:
Without a single space or break in the text, it causes the Firefox browser to break the Minitokyo layout by forcing the browser to display a signature as a single, unbroken line - far wider than the browser window width. The solution is simple - merely add spaces in your signature, between links to different usergroups, and Firefox will be able to break up the signature as necessary to fit the browser window.
Note that this problem does not occur in Internet Explorer because of the presence of dashes (-) and colons (:) in your signature - IE interprets these as hyphens and much in the matter as books and newspaper columns, will break a sentence along them.

hiddensnakehands

hiddensnakehands

Captain Obvious

Quote by Tama-NekoThe problem is with HOLIC's signature. Without a single space or break
in the text, it becomes a single long line that breaks the layout.
Internet Explorer parses the dash (-) in one of the links as a hyphen
and breaks up the line. However, Firefox does not do this.

Yes, I think that is the problem, I ve looked at several other userpages in which holic signed and they experienced the same issue
How did I manage to miss it in the first place lol?
Can some mod manually edit the signature?

Ayasal

Ayasal

Return, Into The Mist

Quote by Tama-NekoThe problem is with HOLIC's signature. Without a single space or break
in the text, it becomes a single long line that breaks the layout.
Internet Explorer parses the dash (-) in one of the links as a hyphen
and breaks up the line. However, Firefox does not do this.

I don't get it.... :sweat:

Relinquish your Dreams of Paradise
Signature

Tama-Neko

Tama-Neko

Invisible

Ayasal: The bottom line is, you are not at fault, and the server is not at fault. The problem is with HOLIC's signature, and I've PM'd them to change it.

I edited my former post with a fuller explanation.
Here's an example:
ThisIsAVeryLongSentence-AndItWillBeSoLongBecauseThereAreNoSpacesT(...)
Firefoxinterprets this as a single line. No breaks, no spaces, so it'll stretch the window to fit this very long sentence.
IE notices that there are dashes present. It thinks, that just like newsprint, a dash is a hyphen that breaks a multisyllabic word into parts so that you can place it at the end of a line and have the word continue on the next line. For example:

Quote by Newsprint Example
Sometimes in newsprint the sen-
tences are too long to fit com-
fortably in the columns so they
use dashes to fit more text in a
smaller column.

This, this post will make Firefox render the layout strangely, but IE should be unaffected.
EDIT: Well, darn. Sheqel already codes the forums to parse really long sentences by cutting them off before they break the layout. However, this script doesn't affect userpages or signatures. Perhaps we should ask him to implement this script for checking signature lengths! It seems to work wonderfully - it made sure my post didn't break the layout!

sillymoogle

sillymoogle

Vectoring back to school

Tama-Neko is right. I've already reported this individual's siggy is too long. It's something web designers <like Tama-Neko> and web-programmers <like your's truely> are conscerned and aware of.

HOLIC's got to change their signature... expect was another user (who signed my guestbook) and wreaked my user page content for a while. I have forced the table length now to a fixed pixel length... but still... so annoying.

I mean, I like people signing my guestbook, posting comments on my submissions, but I also dread these members with a single long string as their signature.

I'm just learning more about <div> tags and one of things it seems to be able to enforce is the boundary of the columns. Perhaps Minitokyo should add this to the signature tag?

Personally I wouldn't mind seeing the signature get canned. (notice, I'm not using one).

People making signatures, be kind, be considerate. Keep them short, to the point and if you have more to say, link them to another page (persoanl web site perhaps?) with a whole list.

hiddensnakehands

hiddensnakehands

Captain Obvious

Quote by sillymoogleTama-Neko is right. I've already reported this individual's siggy is
too long.
HOLIC's got to change their signature... expect was another user (who
signed my guestbook) and wreaked my user page content for a while. I
have forced the table length now to a fixed pixel length... but
still... so annoying.
I mean, I like people signing my guestbook, posting comments on my
submissions, but I also dread these members with a single long string
as their signature.
I'm just learning more about <div> tags and one of things it seems to
be able to enforce is the boundary of the columns. Perhaps Minitokyo
should add this to the signature tag?
Personally I wouldn't mind seeing the signature get canned. (notice,
I'm not using one).
People making signatures, be kind, be considerate. Keep them short, to
the point and if you have more to say, link them to another page
(persoanl web site perhaps?) with a whole list.</div>

Well, you can stretch with the DIV tags, but basically if one signature is way too long, what good is it going to do? Because the user has no access to this part of the code

sillymoogle

sillymoogle

Vectoring back to school

Quote by hiddensnakehands
Well, you can stretch with the DIV tags, but basically if one signature
is way too long, what good is it going to do? Because the user has no
access to this part of the code

Like I said, I'm just starting to really experiment with the DIV tags. But I also think that this setting should be a Global MT system setting.

Ayasal, your user page layout will revert to normal after HOLIC's post get put to another page of your guest book. So let's all post a little something in her guestbook, to push this post on another page of your guestbook.

I hope I'm not going over your head Ayasal with "techno-babble". Well, I gotta get to sleep for work tomorrow, but I'll check this thread again tomorrow. Night.

Tama-Neko

Tama-Neko

Invisible

Quote by sillymooglePersonally I wouldn't mind seeing the signature get canned. (notice,
I'm not using one).

lol, while I am in favor of signature length limits, I think canning it entirely's going a bit far - it's nice to have a little advertisement space under your post as an extra identifier (I use my own sig to quickly find where my posts are in a long thread since it's easy to recognize the wide block of image compared to the smaller avatar pic.) However, little is the key word - I would love to see either a line-limit (perhaps 5) or a character length limit (like 250 characters). A signature should be short, not Homer's Illiad. Additionally, since Sheqel has implemented some scripts to prevent long unbroken lines in other instances (forum posts and the shoutbox, for example) it would be great if that could be used in signatures as well to simply cut off a line that's too long.

sillymoogle

sillymoogle

Vectoring back to school

Quote by Tama-Neko

Quote by sillymooglePersonally I wouldn't mind seeing the signature get
canned. (notice,
I'm not using one).

lol, while I am in favor of signature length limits, I think canning it
entirely's going a bit far - it's nice to have a little advertisement
space under your post as an extra identifier (I use my own sig to
quickly find where my posts are in a long thread since it's easy to
recognize the wide block of image compared to the smaller avatar pic.)
However, little is the key word - I would love to see either a
line-limit (perhaps 5) or a character length limit (like 250
characters). A signature should be short, not Homer's Illiad.
Additionally, since Sheqel has implemented some scripts to prevent long
unbroken lines in other instances (forum posts and the shoutbox, for
example) it would be great if that could be used in signatures as well
to simply cut off a line that's too long.

Yes Tama-neko, but your's are short and sweet. (hm, maybe I should use that "Bot Chii is Love" banner you made...)
http://www.sillymoogle.net/botchii_is_love.jpg Nah... you made it Tama-Neko.... (streaming from my own domain)

Was my grammer that bad lastnight... Darn... I must have been tired...

Cagari

Cagari

Eh?

I have no idea how to help you, but I hope you can get the problem fixed soon! I would love to have images on my userpage...please help!

kawaiiguy

kawaiiguy

Objective reviewer

Quote by CagariI have no idea how to help you, but I hope you can get the problem
fixed soon! I would love to have images on my userpage...please help!

There are plenty of threads with tutorials on how to make custom userpages. Check out excentric's thread here: http://forum.minitokyo.net/showthread/8019/

Signature Image

.:Administrator and contributer of the Minitokyo-review::Proud helper of Chaos-Cross - Help make MT a better place!:.

page 1 of 1 14 total items

Back to Minitokyo Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.