Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 work place survival - Minitokyo

work place survival

page 1 of 1 10 total items

ghost945

ghost945

Otaku

can someone tell me how i should work along with unmotivated, uncooperative co-workers? i'm almost always the one who got screwed around and shoved away just because i'm new in the company. can anyone share their survival skills eg. interpersonal communication etc... few tips will help.... thanks in advance.

Well the first thing is don't hang around negative people.

Get to know your boss and if in managment the people who work for your. Don't become a brown noser.

Don't worry about the way you are treated by other people on your level. Just do your job. Eventually you will become a part of the group.

you're new so you'll have a chance to make an impression so try to make a good one.
that all i can say ^^' i don't really have worry about work for a while

kawaiiguy

kawaiiguy

Objective reviewer

Two words: nail bat. I'm sure if you keep one in your cubicle, you'll be bound to motivate people. You're also likely to get arrested.

Seriously though, I manage a small call center and a good number of my employees are very unmotivated. Some of them find time to browse these forums while at work. It takes a stern voice and confidence in authority to get someone to do something. While this might not help you, it may get you noticed. After all, management skills are highly sought after.

Signature Image

.:Administrator and contributer of the Minitokyo-review::Proud helper of Chaos-Cross - Help make MT a better place!:.

hiddensnakehands

hiddensnakehands

Captain Obvious

fine since my piro piro got deleted,
all right, since you are kind of a noob to the company, you might think you are doing all the work and the "veterans" are sitting there doing nothing. Although sometimes it is true, I enourage you to take some time, drop your negative view, and closely observe your coworkers, it just maybe the case that they are more efficient than you.

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

Care to tell us what is your job title and responsibility? And also describe the situation where you perceive that your co-workers are not doing their job or not? More details may help elicit relevant response (I hope).

I would go to the supervisors and explain the situation. That should fix any problems rather quickly. It is not as if you are a kid and this is tattle-telling, this is a real job so they should take it seriously.

ghost945

ghost945

Otaku

Quote by mughiCare to tell us what is your job title and responsibility? And also describe the situation where you perceive that your co-workers are not doing their job or not? More details may help elicit relevant response (I hope).

I'm in the property development business, my responsibility is to research on the realty market (demand and supply relations blah blah blah), calculate returns on investment, recommend to management how, when and where to develop/invest or both. I report to my supervisor who is the finance manager AND also her supervisor who is the general manager.

very often, the GM handed down some tasks to complete such as drafting legal documents or some very specific taxation issues, my supervisor and the other finance team colleagues will start criticising the tasks behind the GM's back and wants mininum involvement. these tasks end up on my desk. That's fine, i'll do them but the problem is when i try to find help they always claim they are busy. on other ocassion, they helped but was a result of after talking to the GM directly.

Quote by hiddensnakehandsfine since my piro piro got deleted,
all right, since you are kind of a noob to the company, you might think you are doing all the work and the "veterans" are sitting there doing nothing. Although sometimes it is true, I enourage you to take some time, drop your negative view, and closely observe your coworkers, it just maybe the case that they are more efficient than you.

i agreed that they can be quite efficient. Afterall, they've been doing the same thing for the past 10 years.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
actually, after i wrote this down, i feel much better already. i supposed i was up to a boiling point last night so i exploded. >_<

Ouch. You have hostile work environment all right. I hope not all co-workers are not so unmotivated. The way I see it if you can somehow try to establish rapport with some of your co-workers (even one person) on non-work related matters (common hobby?) then it will create a gap that you can gradually enlarge. It is not a much of suggestion but you'll be crippled from doing your job if your co-workers refuse to help you willingly.

Also, what are the chance that you can find similar job in a different company?

And lastly, vent (in private) with friends that can lend their ear. You'll probably need it. ^_^'

wolfco

wolfco

Prelate

As a matter of fact, I'm currently employed in the billing department of a large medical practice. Lately there has been a general decrease in moral. The majority of my co-workers are complaining about everything from the office itself to their workload almost everyday. This morning I submitted a request for transfer and before I was back at my desk for thirty minutes I was called back into my immediate supervisor's office for a consultation. I go back to my desk for an hour or so, and then I get called back into my supervisor's office with our business director and my two comparable co-workers for another meeting. This also lasted awhile. I get out of that meeting and go back to work again. Then the business director (who is right down the hall) calls me on the phone and asks me to come back to her office where I find the executive director. Needless to say I got to see management in action today. Therefore, I have a couple of suggestions depending on the nature and positions of the various co-workers in question....

1) When people complain about their job/workload, just casually mention that you feel lucky to be employed there. You interviewed with a number of companies and this one seems very fair. This is an underhanded way of telling them that if they don't like the job they should find another. It should shut them up.
2) Subtly take credit for your work. When your co-workers dodge the issue at hand, then email your boss that project A might take a little bit longer as co-worker 1 needed to take care of something else. The key here is subtly. You do not want to make enemies. You just want your supervisors to know how hard you are working. This will increase your job security and it will help you build a rapport with your management.
3) Bring breakfast or drinks once or maybe twice. People who work hard are often short on sleep and food. You can buy some favor with a few cheap gestures of appreciation.
4) Smile. Be open. You need to show some energy and some security. If you act like you are happily employed, people will be more helpful. There are some significant studies that demonstrate how your mood impacts the mood of those around you. You want people to associate you with positive experiences. If the only time you talk to your co-workers is when your boss tells you to work with them, they will choose not to like you by default.

i hope this is helpful.

If you would challenge me, then you must first stand before the Darkness. You must look into it and become it. You must fall before it and then reach out to encompass it. When it is joined to your heart, you must overcome its insidious temptation. You are ready to face me when you can betray even your own heart in service to your cause.

page 1 of 1 10 total items

Back to Love, Friends & Family | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.