Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Microsoft Windows Vista - Minitokyo

Microsoft Windows Vista

page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Next » 52 total items

kawaiiguy

kawaiiguy

Objective reviewer

So the next Windows operating system finally has an official name. They've gone from the codename Longhorn to the production name Vista. The web site lists late 2006 as the launch date, with Beta 1 coming in early August and Beta 2 coming in early 2006.

Will anybody here have access to the developer beta coming in August? I'd like to give it a test drive and see what Microsoft has been doing the past 4 years. I do think the name is sort of silly and I liked "Longhorn" much better.

Signature Image

.:Administrator and contributer of the Minitokyo-review::Proud helper of Chaos-Cross - Help make MT a better place!:.

mentis

mentis

..art is no luxury..

Perhaps they will be incorporating the three dimensional desktop...? ...he he I doubt it. I don't know anything about it actually, but I'm guessing it's main feature will be the full 64bit CPU support for sure. Besides that, I don't really know what they could be doing differently.

There have been screenshot of a Longhorn-Beta a while back on OSnews. It's not 3D but, of course, has more eyecandy than winXP (transparency etc.).

Link to OSnews's article: http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=11168
Screenshot

xshintax

Gif files are Compu$erve

It uses alot of transparency. I think it could look better though.

Wtf is your problem?!?

Why the f*** do I need to use proprietary filetypes in my signature and avatar? Stupid Minitokyo... STUPID COMPU$ERVE! Use png instead.

It sounds like another resource hog. Plus all of the eyecandy is the reason I'm still running windows 2000.

someguy66

someguy66

The FlameHaze

I heard it has better secerity and better features with 64 bit.

Signature

ThePanda

ThePanda

Muffin Bucket

I'm not going to jump at the opportunity to install a new OS (after reinstalling about 6 times this year, I've had enough). The eye candy only means windows will eat up more resources than it already does. Unless there's some outstanding reason to upgrade, I'll stick with WinXP Pro.

Does anyone have the details on Microsoft's implementation of OS-level DRM or palladium (not sure what they're calling it anymore)?

Signature

bad name, it will always be a longhorn for me.

That thing isint going in my machine. Im still thinking about upgrading my X P machine to 2k. ;)

Did you here what Vista stands for? Virses, infections, spyware, trojans and adware.

FredGreg

FredGreg

Cynical pedant.

For those mentioning 64-bit, WinXP already has a 64-bit edition

For those not liking the eyecandy, you can turn it off - doesn't that take the resource usage down? I honestly don't know.

I agree Longhorn is a better name than Vista - come on, it actually sounds cool! 'Vista' sounds like crap. It's all it'll be too. Eyecandy.

The thing which will get Vista into use isn't upgrades, it's new computers. They'll all come with Vista preloaded, meaning you're paying for it whether you use it or not. Most people will just use it.

Lastly, Panda: The DRM is about the only vaunted feature of Longhorn destined to actually make a launch-time appearence in Vista. The other stuff is being backported to WinXP, or delayed until afterwards. What does that tell you?

Still, Longhorn and Vista sound like cliche's to me, much like Neo or XE

Osiris

Retired Moderator

Osiris

(>^-^)>( . Y . )

lol vista? sounds fruity, i rather stick with longhorn -_-

hmm..vista better be 64-bit compatible <_<

Signature

kawaiiguy

kawaiiguy

Objective reviewer

From BetaNews, the explaination from Microsoft about why "Vista" was chosen. It still sounds retarded...

Quote: With the announcement of Longhorn's official name, Microsoft has left many users asking: Why Windows Vista? Company representatives told BetaNews that Microsoft felt the new version of Windows "deserved a name that was more representative of what it specifically brings to customers."

"Today, we live in a world of 'more' -- more information, more ways to communicate, more things to do, more opportunities -- and at the same time, more responsibilities. Increasingly, we all turn to our PCs to help us with that," a Microsoft spokesperson said. "At the end of the day, what you're after is a way to break through all the clutter to focus on what you want to focus on, what you need to do. What you're trying to get to is your own personal Vista -- whether that is trying to organize photos, or trying to find a file or trying to connect and collaborate with a number of people electronically."

Quote by FredGregFor those not liking the eyecandy, you can turn it off - doesn't that take the resource usage down? I honestly don't know.

Yes, it does reduce resource usage. However, with computers the way they are, it really doesn't matter... On older machines it makes a nice difference.

Signature Image

.:Administrator and contributer of the Minitokyo-review::Proud helper of Chaos-Cross - Help make MT a better place!:.

Somehow, it reminds me of Redhat Linux....

Well, al that transparency looks nice, but the file browser looks much better than the current explorer.exe
It seems much cleaner and easier to use.

Naruto-Uzumaki

Naruto-Uzumaki

Whatever...

I will change if no new software will run on winXP or with wine/cedega on linux anymore. Windows vista... never heard such a gay name before...

Signatures suck

Sheqel

Administrator

Sheqel

Quote: "At the end of the
day, what you're after is a way to break through all the clutter to
focus on what you want to focus on, what you need to do. What you're
trying to get to is your own personal Vista

what he essentially is saying is that with Windows Vista you will have to break through a lot of clutter before you can focus on what you want to focus on :') so Windows won't change at all.

Sounds like there is alot of talk about how the new eye-candy looks like crap... who gives! Stick with the old stuff or the new stuff and download FlyakiteOSX I made a thread for it in the tech section called "Mac Emulation" I think alot of people will be satisfied with that. My two cents.

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

hiddensnakehands

hiddensnakehands

Captain Obvious

just an FYI, longhorn is the developer codename for windows Vista. Just like windows 95 is referred to as Chicago and 98 is referred to as Memphis, and XP is codenamed Whistler

FredGreg

FredGreg

Cynical pedant.

Quote by raptorfbWell, al that transparency looks nice, but the file browser looks much better than the current explorer.exe
It seems much cleaner and easier to use.

It's not hard to beat the current one - though oddly Apple always fail the worst in this dep't. Konqueror is the easiest I've tried imho. Anyway, better is good eh?

TTTELEVEN

TTTELEVEN

Sword Impulse

huh vista?? never heard before..

hiddensnakehands

hiddensnakehands

Captain Obvious

Quote by TTTELEVENhuh vista?? never heard before..

its new, it is the new OS for windows, release in 2006

SebastianvonKane

SebastianvonKane

Omniversal lone traveler

Holy crap.
Longhorn? That makes me think of Windows Ranch Edition.
I rather Vista (not because is "view" in my language) than Longhorn because sounds cool, cooler tha Longhorn.
It's 64 bits run enviroment, the Palladium security standard enhacement, the new visual interface, well, it sounds good.
Now, I'm interested in the background programs wich still determine how does it works, the security and the performance.

"You have a job to do, and so do I. Yours is to sell socks and suspenders. Mine is to cross-examine people like you and crush them".

I will never EVER use an OS that has Palladium. That is a big negative, not a plus. It does nothing to enhance security but DOES cancel the system's ability to run "unauthorised" software (aka open source stuff, freeware, etc.) and also blocks the system's ability to hit the hardware directly, thus blocking the ability to do things like region free DVD playback and ripping CDs and DVDs. Bad stuff, so stay away from it...

page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Next » 52 total items

Back to Computers & Internet | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.