Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Microsoft Windows Vista - Minitokyo

Microsoft Windows Vista

page 2 of 3 « Previous 1 2 3 Next » 52 total items

kawaiiguy

kawaiiguy

Objective reviewer

Quote by madcrowIt does nothing to enhance security but DOES cancel the
system's ability to run "unauthorised" software (aka open source stuff,
freeware, etc.) and also blocks the system's ability to hit the
hardware directly.

To some extent, preventing programs from making direct calls to hardware is a good thing... Since NT came out, most of the seriously damaging viruses have dissapeared. If you're concerned about not being able to doing all sorts of illegitimate things with your computer, I'm sure you'll find ways around the protection ;)

Signature Image

.:Administrator and contributer of the Minitokyo-review::Proud helper of Chaos-Cross - Help make MT a better place!:.

Zerlingo

Zerlingo

Anime Master

i'm waiting for years this OS and the pentium 5 as well. I'm with a crappy p3 now and hoping to buy a 64 bits intel.

have anyone tryed the beta?

I wonder if some windows game will run on this new OS. I have some games from w95 that does not run in XP. A pity.

kawaiiguy

kawaiiguy

Objective reviewer

I picked up the beta, but haven't gotten around to installing it yet. I couldn't get it to run in VMWare, so I may need to procure a hard drive and install it on that. The "minimum" requirements are absolutely insane: 1.5ghz CPU, 512mb RAM, and 6 gig hd. All I know now is this: say goodbye to the old WinNT text driven installer and installing drive controllers from floppy! The installer now supports USB devices!

Signature Image

.:Administrator and contributer of the Minitokyo-review::Proud helper of Chaos-Cross - Help make MT a better place!:.

Zerlingo

Zerlingo

Anime Master

Oh my god, and i'm running now under a p3 600 mhz with 1 gig Ram.
I installed the Xp from the CD, the Oem version.

kawaiiguy

kawaiiguy

Objective reviewer

Quote by ZerlingoOh my god, and i'm running now under a p3 600 mhz with 1 gig Ram.
I installed the Xp from the CD, the Oem version.

I've done worse:
PII 333, 384mb RAM, 13gig hd... with WinXP Pro. It ran. It was usable. That's about it... I sure as hell wouldn't want to try Vista on it. It might cry.

Signature Image

Keik

TarballIUTzone

Quote by XenonDid you here what Vista stands for? Virses, infections, spyware, trojans and adware.

Wohohoho*laughing out Loud XD ^_^

Fine fine *hahahaha

nice :)
I will never buy any Microsoft Product in the Future ! :) That sounds Good for me :)

KNTriforce

KNTriforce

The Daydreamer

I just hope that it'll have good features and better things

Quote by XenonDid you here what Vista stands for? Virses, infections, spyware, trojans and adware.

and, oh yeah that would mean that your computer will be next if you get Vista! muhahahaha!

Signature
Live and Learn and that's what I'm doing. *sigh* Learning.

~I would like to thank may for making me this sig and avatar.~

Zerlingo

Zerlingo

Anime Master

A lot of people will be critic with the OS, but as always, all people will use it. I run with XP pro and no doubt i will run with a new 64bit computer with Vista.

Linux sux sux and The Osx intel based too hehe :D

kawaiiguy

kawaiiguy

Objective reviewer

Did you see the announcement? Microsoft is making plans to aquire Gator, one of the largest spyware companies. Microsoft also makes an anti-spyware software... this is fishy. >_<

Signature Image

hiddensnakehands

hiddensnakehands

Captain Obvious

if we cant fight them, why not just buy them out
I would say Microsoft saved a bunch of money this way

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

kawaiiguy

kawaiiguy

Objective reviewer

Quote by hiddensnakehandsif we cant fight them, why not just buy them out I would say Microsoft
saved a bunch of money this way

Except that now, we'll get MicroSpyware... or something... If MS does go into the spyware business, the world could be in trouble.

Signature Image

Quote by kawaiiguy

Quote by madcrowIt does nothing to enhance security but DOES cancel the
hardware directly.

To some extent, preventing programs from making direct calls to
hardware is a good thing... Since NT came out, most of the seriously
damaging viruses have dissapeared. If you're concerned about not being
able to doing all sorts of illegitimate things with your computer, I'm
sure you'll find ways around the protection ;)

How is watching movies that you bought from Japan illegitimate? Any program that keeps me from using stuff that I legally bought and payed for is NOT going onto my computer.

hiddensnakehands

hiddensnakehands

Captain Obvious

except MS is not going to publicly announce that they are putting spywares right into the windows system
Microsoft develops spyware then releases a tool for free to combat them, thats really good

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

kawaiiguy

kawaiiguy

Objective reviewer

Quote by madcrow

Quote by kawaiiguy

Quote by madcrowIt does nothing to enhance security but
DOES cancel the
hardware directly.

To some extent, preventing programs from making direct calls to
hardware is a good thing... Since NT came out, most of the seriously
damaging viruses have dissapeared. If you're concerned about not being
able to doing all sorts of illegitimate things with your computer, I'm
sure you'll find ways around the protection ;)

How is watching movies that you bought from Japan illegitimate? Any
program that keeps me from using stuff that I legally bought and payed
for is NOT going onto my computer.

I guess it's arguable if it is legitimate.

If you have Japanese DVDs (with R2 region coding), then most likely you'll have the R2 hardware and the R2 software. Remember, DVDs are only meant to be used inside the region they are sold. Take it outside the region and you're technically violating the terms of use. Is it still legitimate? Maybe or maybe not.

Signature Image

Quote by kawaiiguyIf you have Japanese DVDs (with R2 region coding), then most likely you'll have the R2 hardware and the R2 software. Remember, DVDs are only meant to be used inside the region they are sold. Take it outside the region and you're technically violating the terms of use. Is it still legitimate? Maybe or maybe not.

It's the price-fixing scheme of DVD regions which we should be calling illegitimate, not customer attempts to make their media more usable.

In any case, it's most noticeable to me just how little Microsoft have actually done in these four years. They're really going to start getting left behind by the competition very noticeably soon.

kawaiiguy

kawaiiguy

Objective reviewer

Quote by minebannIt's the price-fixing scheme of DVD regions which we should be calling
illegitimate, not customer attempts to make their media more usable.

Last I checked, consumers don't own the copyrights. Just because most people think it should be the way it is doesn't mean it's still legal. Driving down the road at 100mph makes my car (and road) more usable. That doesn't mean I'm not breaking the law by speeding.

Like it or not, the restrictions are there. They are "designed" to protect a company's intellectual property. But, as I mentioned before, it won't take long for someone to defeat the protection schemes if it really does exist. Just look at the "Genuine Windows" thing. 24 hours was all it took.

Signature Image

Kawaiiguy: You're wrong. According to international trade law, region codes are an illegitatimite restraint of trade. In some countries (especially in Europe) it's not even legal to sell DVD players that enforce region codes... Unfortunanely, those restrictions have not been brought over to the PC world anywhere and, while multiregion DVD playback is legal in the US, it isn't enforced the way it is in most EU countries, either, with region-free playback generally only found in high-end imported DVD players.

Quote by kawaiiguyLast I checked, consumers don't own the copyrights.

Last time I checked, playing a DVD on equipment bought in another part of the world didn't involve copying anything.

kawaiiguy

kawaiiguy

Objective reviewer

Quote by madcrowKawaiiguy: You're wrong. According to international trade law, region codes are an illegitatimite restraint of trade. In some countries (especially in Europe) it's not even legal to sell DVD players that enforce region codes... Unfortunanely, those restrictions have not been brought over to the PC world anywhere and, while multiregion DVD playback is legal in the US, it isn't enforced the way it is in most EU countries, either, with region-free playback generally only found in high-end imported DVD players.

I did a little searching on this subject (it is somewhat of a topic of interest). I turned to my favorite "source," Wikipedia. I found the following articles on DVD Region codes and region encoding. The first article states "Many view region code enforcement as a violation of WTO free trade agreements; however, no legal rulings have yet been made in this area" and the second one states "# It presents a barrier to free trade, which may be illegal in some areas such as the EU."

Which one to follow? Who knows. Just because there isn't an official ruling doesn't mean it's legal or not. The second article also contains the following statement: "For example, the DMCA has a circumventing a scheme used to restrict access to copyrighted material clause which may be used to criminalize people who ignore, circumvent, or crack a regional-lockout scheme." Does this mean that disabling your computer's DVD region checker with a firmware flash is illegal? Sure sounds like it...

As for Europe, it seems like there are subdivisions of the R2 region code: "European Region 2 DVDs may be sub-coded "d1" through "d4." "d1" identifies a UK-only release. "d2" and "d3" identify European DVDs that are not sold in the UK and the Republic of Ireland. "d4" identifies DVDs that are distributed throughout Europe."

If it's illegal in Europe, then why are there even more restrictions?

Quote by minebannLast time I checked, playing a DVD on equipment bought in another part of the world didn't involve copying anything.

No, but protecting a company's intellectual property rights is a function of copyright. The region code sort of helps enforce this by denoting where a certain disk is meant to be sold and used, legalities aside. You know that FBI warning that comes up on the screen when you first play a disk/tape? That makes an attempt at throwing a bunch of legal words at consumers.

Anyway, this is getting wildly out of hand... I suggest moving discussion on copyright stuff elsewhere, like here.

Signature Image

Anaxa

Anaxa

Wish

Mmm, I knew that some dfays ago... ant its new features, but It doesn't convince me. Microsoft is taking so mucho time in that >.>

No matter what you play, if you can move the warm light
Idly sitting by, letting the tide slowly rise around and embrace you

Signature

whats the point of vista if its just eyecandy like transparency?!

Signature

St-Seiya

St-Seiya

~ Athena no Saint ~

hasta la vista longhorn :D

What kind of Devil's fruit would you eat ? http://forum.minitokyo.net/showthread/10719/
What do you think of P2P : http://forum.minitokyo.net/showthread/10645/
Ninjai the little ninja : http://forum.minitokyo.net/showthread/10602/

kawaiiguy

kawaiiguy

Objective reviewer

Quote by kevin-tanwhats the point of vista if its just eyecandy like transparency?!

I like shiny things, don't you? Everyone likes shiny things...

I'm sure there are plenty of changes under the hood. We won't know until we try it out. Functionality wise, I'm sure it won't be any different from past operating systems...

Signature Image

the name is kinda screwed although people already came up with a couple of jokes to critcize it...

lets just hope it's stable and reliable after all these years of development

page 2 of 3 « Previous 1 2 3 Next » 52 total items

Back to Computers & Internet | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.