Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Arranged Marriages - Minitokyo

Arranged Marriages

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 31 total items

happianime

happianime

May all your dreams come true!

I've heard that other cultures have arranged marriages. What do you think of this? I think it's kind of horrible because you don't have a choice on whom to marry.

Always approach with a smile!

shadowframe

I rule you!!

Well, it both sucks and good.
If you're a loser in dating or whatever, arranged marriages guarentees you'll get married and get laid. ;)
The problem is you may not like the person. Oh well, you could always divorce the said person like a lot of people do theses days

ph43r me!
*shakes furry paw*
For evil, cute Justice!!

I agree with shadowframe, it is a dual edged sword. In one way it does take a lot of the burden off of trying to find someone to marry but on the other hand it also greatly restricts your ability to choose who you want to marry. Obviously even if you find someone you want to marry you can't actually marry them without massively violating this culutural belief.

Basically though I guess it's what beliefs you were raised with, if you were raised to believe in these types of marriages maybe it's nothing you worry about and nothing you think "dang I would have loved to have married her instead".

My question is, how many of these last and what's the cheating ratio of arranged marriages compared to all other types of non-arranged marriages?

----------------------------
"It gives one a great sense of satisfaction to do it in perfect unison" - Michelle Chang R.o.D. the TV

"Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he always wanted . . . he lived happily ever after." - Willy Wonka

wolfco

wolfco

Prelate

I don't like the concept of an arranged marriage where the two persons involved cannot refuse. However, the origins of such marriages are ancient and there are many instances where members of a family commit to another person as a sacrifice for the good for their family or country. Most political marriages were merely for good of the country and such. Throughout history marriages have not been about love. They have been about money, position, and security. Love as the deciding factor in marriage is a very modern concept. Even marriages between peasant farmers were about sharing land and labor for the benefit of both families.

If you would challenge me, then you must first stand before the Darkness. You must look into it and become it. You must fall before it and then reach out to encompass it. When it is joined to your heart, you must overcome its insidious temptation. You are ready to face me when you can betray even your own heart in service to your cause.

fawna-chan

fawna-chan

butterfly ghost

arrange marriages piss me off. i think it's stupid. it's not happening now but it used to in a lot of cultures, like the chinese. usually the couple never see each other until the day of the wedding (well for the chinese anyway). it totally sucks and if you can't get married, adopt a kid or a puppy or something like that. :) they're cute.

Kuzain

eeto...uumo...

Arranged marriages aren't always done by force. In a number of societies, an arranged marriage is simply one of several options. Those who came before you often know a lot more about how the world works than you do. A parent might be able to make a better judgement call on a potential mate than the child might. It's true that there isn't usually a lot of emotion during the first stages of an arranged marriage, but attachment really does grow stronger with time and a lot of people have had arranged marriages and have grown to love their arranged husband or wife. I think it's a fine option as long as it's done for the benefit of the child and not the benefit of the family. Arranged marriages done when the couple are children are bad and is just a case of selling a child.

~*Signature
	Image*~
Osaka-san!

Don't people have the power to pull out of arranged marriages?

If my marriage was arranged, I'd either slit my wrist or run away.

Those who arrange marriages are nothing more but control-freaks!

Yea, I really would not like to have to marry someone just because my parents chose who it was before I was even born. I would prefer to find someone and fall in love with them out of my own will.

Signature

It's another method of putting your fate in other hands.

(Sorry mom you're not always right.)

Signature
-+| Signature by me |+-

Archer79

Nerdly Ghost

I'm really not in support of arranged marriages. ...But they do have some merits. ...Marriage is about commitment, not love or attraction. ...You can have love and attraction without marriage. ...But marriage is a life-time commitment.

From that perspective, I can see some merit to it; in that it is a commitment, rather than something that may be destroyed as beauty or youth fades...

...But... ...Arranged marriages... ...Really don't take into account all that "compatability" stuff, neh?

tele-fragd

tele-fragd

Cheeky Peach <3

A friend of mine had his marriage arranged and he's happily married to her now with a baby. So it can work out :)

It's not as if you can divorce someone if your arranged marriage doesn't work out :)

Homer: Pffft English. Who needs that? I'm never going to England.
Mr Largo: Lisa, do you find something funny about the word "tromboner"?
-------------------------------------

//My Anime Collection

Quote by tele-fragdA friend of mine had his marriage arranged and he's happily married to her now with a baby. So it can work out :)
It's not as if you can divorce someone if your arranged marriage doesn't work out :)

Now that is hard to believe.

and tele-fragd, you avy almost sent me flying across the room.

arranged marriage? in this modern world? does it still exist?

hiddensnakehands

hiddensnakehands

Captain Obvious

Quote by ssenarranged marriage? in this modern world? does it still exist?

yes it is modern world, yes it still does exist

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

happianime

happianime

Quote by hiddensnakehands

yes it is modern world, yes it still does exist

It still exists in some cultures like India and China. Arranged marriages are just plain wrong to me. It's kind of rare for two people in arranged marriages to be in love with each other though. Thanks for all of your opinions!

Archer79

Nerdly Ghost

I dunno... ...I kind of got the impression that one of the people I went to high school went into an arranged marriage. ...And that's in the USA.

happianime

happianime

Hmm....what was the person's nationality?

Barbara

Tomorrow is another day

I hate that idea, some parents just want their children to marry someone because they're rich. But I think it happens more in Asia than in Western culture.

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world
- Bill Wilson -

Archer79

Nerdly Ghost

Quote by happianimeHmm....what was the person's nationality?

Although I'm hesitant to say anything about nationality, she was American, as typical as I could tell. ...With blonde hair, etc. ...Quite beautiful, which is honestly why it cought my attention.

happianime

happianime

Quote by Archer79

Quote by happianimeHmm....what was the person's nationality?

Although I'm hesitant to say anything about nationality, she was American, as typical as I could tell. ...With blonde hair, etc. ...Quite beautiful, which is honestly why I cought my attention.

So she had an arranged marriage? Interesting. I thought arranged marriages didn't exist in he USA. o_0

Benitora

Benitora

A Star And A Stray Dog

Actually, arranged marriages can happen anywhere. There's nothing illegal about parents deciding who their children marry. It can happen all over the world, butit's most common in eastern cultures.

Personally, I think that in some cases it could be a good idea, but in most it's not. I mean, every now and then, some of them are gonna have to hit it off and actually fall in love. It's probably rare, but possible.

Signature

happianime

happianime

Quote by BenitoraActually, arranged marriages can happen anywhere. There's nothing illegal about parents deciding who their children marry. It can happen all over the world, butit's most common in eastern cultures.
Personally, I think that in some cases it could be a good idea, but in most it's not. I mean, every now and then, some of them are gonna have to hit it off and actually fall in love. It's probably rare, but possible.

Interesting....

babyblueshakira

babyblueshakira

i'll love you like no one can

I dont think arranged marriages are good. They are really bad because if you love someone else, you have no choice. You have to marry the person your parents want you to marry. I'm glad that I live in the USA and there is no such thing as arranged marriages in our culture. We get to marry the person we want....

we're running, running, keep pulling my hand, so we don't get seperated . . .
Signature Image

Shkira

Shkira

Cake!!

Quote by wolfcoI don't like the concept of an arranged marriage where the two persons involved cannot refuse. However, the origins of such marriages are ancient and there are many instances where members of a family commit to another person as a sacrifice for the good for their family or country. Most political marriages were merely for good of the country and such. Throughout history marriages have not been about love. They have been about money, position, and security. Love as the deciding factor in marriage is a very modern concept. Even marriages between peasant farmers were about sharing land and labor for the benefit of both families.

Yes, there's usually a reason for it. And in most of those cases, they'd both be involved in the "business" and might not have time to care. So in that respect, I think it'd be ok. But if either of them were to find someone they loved I think they should have a mutual agreement that though they're married, they can have other affairs, so long as it doesn't interfere with the business they established in the first place.

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 31 total items

Back to Love, Friends & Family | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.