Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Is the internet really a "fantasy world"? - Minitokyo

Is the internet really a "fantasy world"?

page 2 of 3 « Previous 1 2 3 Next » 53 total items

animefreak3

animefreak3

Serpentarius

Your Mom is right. Everything she said happens in real life, in the flesh & blood, I have no doubt it happens online too. The reason being that it also, is real life.

The problem here is the argument being in the flesh & blood, it should be easier to distinguish the real from the fantasy. The problem is that it is not. That means by implication either she's right, and it applies everywhere. Alternatively she admits she's mistaken. Either way, on line, or off line. It has no difference. If she needs such an example of off line fantasy, bring up the subject of religion.

Here are some good hilights of the argument. Philosophy is the study of where the ideas bring us to. Theology is the bending of ideas to bring us to a desired destination. Science is the study of evidence. Each has their own failings. Philosophy can lead you to meaningful conclusions, but have nothing to do with the real world. Pretty ideas, but no application. Religion is simply "the will to power" in another form. * Science with no evidence, and no grasp on a situation falls flat. All have their elements of real world fantasy.

* BTW this (theocracy - belief you're guilty, but no proof) is where the law in the states is heading.

We begin and end in nothingness. Our darkness is confronting our ultimate nature, for nothing can come from nothing. We must sow the wind and reap the void, since the now is all we have. Together, we walk in darkness.

inuyashalove04

inuyashalove04

inuai-chan

I believe that people do benifit from being on the internet. It helps with many different things; I'm not going to go into detail. It seems that people can find whatever they are looking for on the net, quickly and usually easily.
And for the fantasy world...I'm not sure. I, personally don't see it as that, but some people do; for their personal (or other) reasons.
Later.

Signature Image
"I personally believe that each of us was put here for a purpose-- to build not to destroy. If I can make people smile, then I have served my purpose for God." - Red Skelton

fireflywishes

Retired Moderator, Linguistics

fireflywishes

Calgon, take me away~!

Quote by SilentMasamuneWhat do you think about the internet? Do you think we can benefit from
being on the internet more nowadays than we used to? Should the
internet really be considered a "fantasy world"?

i think that the internet is great! at first i was concerned about how impersonal it was, but it's become such a great means of communicating with multiple people at once! i definitely feel that we can benefit from being on the internet... for the most part it is a good research tool, and you can meet some really interesting people. however, i do think that the internet is PART fantasy, because it's difficult to figure out if what a person tells you is true or not...unless you have a webcam or something. because of that annonymity, some people use that to create false identities for themselves. but as long as you're careful, i think that the internet is an excellent tool for everyday use.

Signature Image

luckymouse

luckymouse

Always getting the last laugh

well i see it this way,you all arnt make belief a fantasy world is make belief right so how the hell can someone say this is a fantasy world iv made more friends here than i could were i live im now more chative to the people around me and plus chatting with people across the world is benificial cuz you can learn alot about them

I THOUGHT WHAT ID DO WAS PRETEND TO BE ONE OF THOSE DEAF-MUTES ^_^

yuiyui01

yuiyui01

I've been carried on...

fantasy world? O_o the plot you are discussing is realy a pretty intelligent one, silentmasamune..
considering have read all the answers given on this thread i would say..
NO , the internet is not a fantasy world...
considering i'm an internet freak ( didn't go out for whole a day XD) I would say that internet is the most interesting invention we had those last days ...
considering myself , i'm often browsing anime websites, videogames and talking to japan freaks via instant messenger...all thosr things I can't do in my real life...but not because i don't wanna incorporate them on RL, but that I can't do it...
on the internet , I may see most of people enjoying the same things that I do, on the RL I cannot...that makes me feel happy and relieved ^^
but in the other way we could also talk about some things or showing some parts of our personnality that we cannot show on RL , (mainly because of shyness, awkwardness...)
The internet is good, as long as it helps us improve ourself to the best...
as for what angelkate say about online rpgs, I played lineage 2 myself and it can be fun, if we merge Real life self and the chara self XD but don't let it control your real self...
that's it XD *yui has become too serious * *ohh mu goshhhhh O_o*

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

Lenne

Lenne

Warrior Girl

Well,there's some truth in this ,but i think that it depends on the person.Some people are robably like you said,escaping from reality,but some just want to chat a little bit,meet some new people.....and such.Is internet fantasy or not,....well that depends on you.Will you allow yourself to be dragged into this world or will you just swimm on the surface of it,if you get what i mean. ^_^' :D

Signature
My latest work:Best Friends

The internet can be used as a great learning tool. You should go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page. That is a great site where you can research many different topics and the people can edit the pages. It is an encyclopedia that is always expanding. Also you can make great friends online. Sometimes being online can be an escape from ordinary life and the internet can benefit life a lot. I can see why it can be considered a fantasy world with MMORPGs and such but the majority of items dicussed on the internet are things that happen in real life situations. You can learn many life lessons online by reading experiences of friends' lives or asking for advice in different situations. :)

~Absorb All Awesome Anime~

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination

Dirty

Dirty

too many steps ahead.

The Internet is definately a fantasy world.

When we hop on the Internet our real bodies are lost and we interface and interact through our consciousness [sounds cliche but true]. Flesh and bone become bits and bytes.

Look at this forum board and the number of nationalities//locations//age variations that have allowed people to interact. Then imagine the likelihood of these people at any one time meeting and chatting to one another in one room? Sound unrealistic...I suppose cause it's not possible in reality but in fantasy.

*nudges* Lain

Attempting to escape the matrix...

Signature

Archer79

Nerdly Ghost

Quote by Teryon

Quote by Archer79Anyhow, pls do remember there's a real world out there.

...And please, tell the 21 yr old fast-food worker who remains broke because of bills and has no car, and most of his friends are in other parts of the country or world because he lives in Hickville, BFE County, NB(Numbnuts), USA....
Just *what* does the real world have? Really. Right now, not a bloody thing.

Hey... ...I did the fast food thing once. ...It's not that bad. ...And you have both a future and opportunity. Don't waste them.

fooblued

fooblued

British Fetishist

I take most things on the internet with a grain of salt. I've met a lot of guys through the internet and they were all a little cracked up. I've lied a couple of times and found that people with believe anything you say. Its not a good thing its not a bad thing. I don't think that its a real replacement for actual human contact. Its just not the same in the phsycological respects and social stimulation that people need to stay mentally healthy. I didn't "grow up" with the internet like some of you did, maybe it makes me a bit jaded too. I do think that too many people get burned through internet relationships. Its too easy to type "I love you", when you now that person in hundreds of miles away and if you get tired of thier attention you never have to face them in person to dump them...Its like what PwnOXz0r said "It is what it is"

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

The internet can mean different things to different people. There are a lot of dishonest people out there who make a game of the internet, but there are honest people as well. It really varies from person-to-person.

There are plenty of people that I know in real life that I mainly talk to online because I live far away from a lot of my friends (several moved away for college, and some are in the military). I see the internet as both a useful tool and a toy; there are a time and place for both.

I actually met my husband online. A friend of mine (who had never even met him in person) hooked us up. We've been happily married for over 3 years now and knew each other for nearly 2 years before we got married.

locknes206

locknes206

Art and Martial art apprentice

i think the answer to this question is both...its an intersection between both reality and fantasy....in the "real world"....you couldnt sell half the stuff you see on ebay to a person hand to hand in "reality" and yet...in the internet a piece of toast with a image of Jesus Christ(easily scraped into a piece of toast i might add) suddenly becomes a gold mine, so somethin as useless as toast in "reality" becomes of value in "virtual reality"....then you have war....which is a concept that easily trancends both reality and fantasy...such as war in reality you have a battle field...to where on the internet war becomes a virtual battle field...so there for juss existing in any plane becomes reality....we exist in a more dominant state to where...u die here...you die anywhere...unlike virtual reality...to where your computer crashes you can exist on someone elses comp....so in conclusion...if you exist here you can exist anywhere...thus creating your own reality...meaning....relationships...living...and travel is possible...but...this reality is more dominant...and the internet is almost a sub reality...

sorry if i got to deep lol....some of you wont see where im comin from....but yeah haha thats juss my take on it

Ryugen

Ryugen

Chibbi Style!

The internet has many advantages and disadvantages. There should be a statement before people who have never been on the internet first get on; "welcome to the internet, nobody here likes you." Though this, of course, can be changed over time, a lot of the people who first use the internet are very nieve. This is very common and is easily taken advantage of. The internet is only a fantasy world to the neive.

Signature

Remember that of old, for it was there for a reason.

Memero

Memero

Hiding in a cardboard box...

The internet, for me, I consider it a fantasy world in the sense that it is not physically tangible. Only through keystrokes & mouseclicks can it only be. But I agree that it has revolutionized the way we communicate, share ideas, & pretty much everything else. For me, anything not physical is not real. Today, just about everything can be recreated using a non physical code of 1's & 0's, which is very disappointing because what could we treasure with sentiment now, now that all can be just an enormous amount of binary code which can be recreated endlessly. I, myself, am a very sentimental person & I keep many things I hold dear, like an old fashioned chemically developed film pictures of my graduation.

The frightened will grow pale.
I am but a shadow in the dark,
I never grow pale...

SweetGrl

SweetGrl

doki doki

I don't think internet is a "fantasy world" because we don't need the internet. You can live life without internet by hanging out with your friends and having fun in the real world!! Even if the internet is very helpful or fun or cool, it's not a "fantasy world". You have people to count on and to laugh with outside the internet so why need internet!! The internet helped me alot but i don't consider it a "fantasy world".

Live to Love, Love to Live~~
Signature

Kiako

Kiako

the shadow

well imo we benefit from being on the internet more nowadays than we used to because there are a lot of infos here that are easyer to get then to go to the library and look for a book there that probably won't have all the infos you want. and the internet shouldn't be considered a "fantasy world" because i don't know how someone could even think about the word fantasy, because looking at all the infos that one gets on the internet i mean the weather and the news and all that "real-life" stuf that noone even cares for ~_~ well... almost noone the only fantasy thing are the rpgs and that kind of thing, but a world, i don't think so. and it is easyer to talk with people in chats because you just go there and talk to the people there, because i don't think that one would go walking around outside looking for a one person to talk to and that person would probably not wan't to talk to you. but then again it's harder to get some real friends over the internet because you can't realy know who they are and looking at where some of them live.
well anyway you look at it there is something good in both things but it is up to you to decide for what.

Sakura0chan

Sakura0chan

Nihongo o naraitai

I think internet is very helpful today. Because with internet you can gain information. I think it depends to a person if he/she will do it for good or bad. He/she will decide the use of internet to him/her.

I think internet can be considered as a fantasy world. I agree with what bbls said:

Quote by bblsit can be if you choose it to be so...if you use a different persona and you find everything on the other side of your screen to be false and made up. and i think it's almost the same as any real world situation where someone that you meet may not be completely honest. albeit, it's much easier to sniff out lies in the real world than online. and sometimes people do want the internet to be their fantasy world because they use it as a means to escape the drudgeries of their lives. and it's not fair to classify the internet as just a fantasy world or not because it has different meanings and uses for different people. it's just not as black and white as that.

Sessha

Silver Fox

I think the internet is a fantasy world because you can be whatever you want to be, whenever you want to be it. Guys can be girls, girls can be guys, old people can be young, young people can be old, and any of these people can talk to each other across hundreds of miles! Sounds like a fantasy world to me! :)

No more.

IcyFyre

IcyFyre

I love WoNdeRL@nD

ya i think that the internet is a fantasy world, but ive never really given it thought! XD

Signature
~*We come to love by seeing an imperfect person perfectly*~

SilentMasamune

SilentMasamune

I'm all washed up. . .

Hell, we even fill out job applications online nowadays or at express kiosks in the stores. There were many times in the past in which we had to write everything out before being able to submit the application and we wasted our hands. The internet has brought us much convenience, but of course, with every benefit comes drawbacks, and drawbacks include fraud and impersonation, and anyone could make up anything about themselves just to give the impression they feel others may like so they could receive the impression they want to receive. Basically, while you're on the internet, in a more analogical perspective, you're playing with a double-edged sword.

Signature Image
Support Limerock Cafe - full feature forum and gallery

Yes these days internet does benefit us more now compared to those past days. Yup some people wil go online to get off troubles in the offline world. So internet does benefit me. :) XP

BossMac

BossMac

BRBFBI

The Internet is still a tool.

And as a tool, we use it to go to that "Fantasy World". And we also use it for so much other stuff.

But for it's more ike a drug or sumthin... kinda like take this and you're headache willbe gone.

Signature

KyoFan368

KyoFan368

I'm going to take a...zzzz

I think that in some aspects the internet can be a fantasy world!!! If you don't take time from it you will be lost in it and lose your family!! I don't get on as much as I to do in school, because there is nothing to do there. While i'm here at home i'm resricted because my mom and dad still like to do family time!! You can be anything that you want here on the internet. You can be someone nice or mean or even pretend to be lost, though also for some it is a way to get out there true feelings. That is why I try to be myself, only for the fact if we come up with this other identitys on the internet it does become a fantasy, and soon you could get lost in it. So I will have to say that the internet can be either onea fantasy world or a sorce for helpful info. It depends on the users way of using the internet.

We can benifet from being on the internet more and that is the main reason I use it to my benifet!! But even if my parents didn't restriked me I would restriked myself because I love my family and in my opinion we should all hold on to our families because if the world were to end I would want to be there with my family right next to me and no one else!!

-The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart. ~Helen Keller :D
Signature

KaWaiiXAnGeL

KaWaiiXAnGeL

*poke* weeeeeeeeee!

Quote by SilentMasamuneI've had this discussion with my parents before, and they think that the internet is a fantasy world, a place in which people aren't really benefiting from the people they chat with or even the websites or communities they visit. Usually, the older people who met with others in the offline world think that online relationships are impossible, and they also think that there is a lot of fraud and impersonation going on. In our day and age, many people benefit from using the internet, from research reports to finding information about certain topics, finding news topics, and even chatting with other people online.
Some people even think that the internet is a means of escaping the troubles they face in the offline world and that it gives them more flexibility to express their feelings versus having to confront their problems face-to-face. However, despite all of the benefits that I know can be generated from the use of the internet, in my mother's opinion, the internet is a "fantasy world", and nothing can be gained and many things can be lost, such as the will to be more social in life and possibly even identity can be lost.
What do you think about the internet? Do you think we can benefit from being on the internet more nowadays than we used to? Should the internet really be considered a "fantasy world"?

all that u said right there is true sometimes i think thats why i like the internet i guess it really is my fantasy world and i guess maybe i just wanna hide away from the real world! i guess it seems so exciting on the interent but theres also so dangers so i guess u should be careful about that u just gotta be smart about it! its true though about it being a fantasy its not real. oh well wow i guess there is much to say anyways i really love going on the internet so i guess its jsut the way it is!

Thank You.

page 2 of 3 « Previous 1 2 3 Next » 53 total items

Back to Love, Friends & Family | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.