Human filters...

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 30 total items

Yina

Yina

www.kisuki.net

Cancel

I think many members here complain about crappy wallies, I mean those cheap wallies which are created with paint, those where the user only used a nice scan and put on a texture, or those which have got such a bad quality that makes you think.. why does someone submit such a work?? so why can't MT have some members who take over the part as a filter. works should be reviewed first by them before put them on MT...

1. the general quality of the wallies would become better
2. the server volume wouldn't grow so fast..
3. there wouldn't be so many good wallers leave mt..

Hope I'll get an answer soon.. >.<

Signature Image

chibikko

chibikko

chibigaki

Cancel

I agree with you, I hope you'll get some attention with your thread. But I doubt it...
But the filter idea is very good, and our so wonderful admin wouldn't have to buy endless amounts of servers -_-

Cancel

That would work except for the fact that art is in the eyes of the beholder and wallpapers would take longer to be published on the website and someone may deny one persons wallpaper and the publish it as thier own.

• Jul 27, 2005
Cancel

Its good idea but ... I'll think that will be not that easy because everyone has his own tastes and saying valid or invalid shouldn't be a matter of taste, and in the other hand, if too much people filter we can end with too many or too few wallpapers.

Anyway as time passes really crap wallpapers tend to dissaperar so...

Signature
-+| Signature by me |+-

• Jul 27, 2005

Yina

Yina

www.kisuki.net

Cancel

Quote by RebuThat would work except for the fact that art is in the eyes of the beholder and wallpapers would take longer to be published on the website and someone may deny one persons wallpaper and the publish it as thier own.

are you telling about ripping wallies? I think there are too many rips on MT.. >_> of course it will take longer, but why not? I'm in a community where you've to wait one day untill your work got submitted, and the system there works pretty well.

i think the taste is not a problem, cuz they only delete really bad quality wallies... and I think you don't need such a good taste to say what a bad quality wallie is..

Signature Image

AC2N

AC2N

Assez de haine...

Cancel

So... if i understand what you say... that means that MT would be there only for an elite group... who kept their " good wallers " talent and spend their " precious " time to congratulate themselves...
I don't think so. To my point of view, MT is for the " good wallers " there gives councils to the beginners who would like to progress... that's my idea of the thing. Maybe i'm wrong...

Signature Image
I'm a proud moderator of .:| French Tribu |:.
French Tribu decides to make a calendar for 2006, you can find the official site of it -> HERE <- !!

Cancel

If we were talking about rips, then is ok, if not I agree with AC2N.

Only a point, what should be done if a rip is far better than an original?

Signature
-+| Signature by me |+-

• Jul 27, 2005

AC2N

AC2N

Assez de haine...

Cancel

i think the web would be create to exchange things... walls and experience are count in it ! Therefore, it is necessary to be more open and to have a less negative glance on all that... Aren't you ?!?

Signature Image
French Tribu decides to make a calendar for 2006, you can find the official site of it -> HERE <- !!

Yina

Yina

www.kisuki.net

Cancel

ehh.. rips are originals.. they only change the copyright.. O__O
@ac2n: I think you missunderstood what I mean with a "bad quality" wallie. wallers should put effort into their works.. but if they only put a scan on a finished bg.. then it's a bad quality wallpaper.

Signature Image

DebauchedNun

DebauchedNun

Bloodied

Cancel

To start filtering "bad wallpapers" I think would be bad taste on administrators parts. MT is a place to meet friends and share artwork. Those wallers who have some good knowledge in programs for backgrounds and effects should be helping those that dont know much.

This should stay a community where the people are friendly, and not a place where you are judged just on the quality of your work. If that took place, MT would start getting some bad light, and in AC2N's post, this would just be a place for elites. I thought MT was a place for all artists to grow. And for those elites that do leave, then thats their business. I think leaving a place just because of this small matter of who has bad wallpapers, is childish imo.

If you are proud of your work, and are happy with what you accomplished and are making friends and enjoying the community then thats all that should matter.

Signature Image

Cancel

Quote by YuunaChanehh.. rips are originals.. they only change the copyright.. O__O
@ac2n: I think you missunderstood what I mean with a &quot;bad quality&quot; wallie. wallers should put effort into their works.. but if they only put a scan on a finished bg.. then it's a bad quality wallpaper.

That will be a serious cut off, because the only way to do awesome wallies is, experimentation and that means in the begining all whould be bad, in other words MT = Elite group.

Signature
-+| Signature by me |+-

• Jul 27, 2005

Rebel-Soul-Kaze

Rebel-Soul-Kaze

Glittering Crux Emperor

Cancel

Quote by Samurai-Jin
That will be a serious cut off, because the only way to do awesome
wallies is, experimentation and that means in the begining all whould
be bad, in other words MT = Elite group.

Mmmm,i agree with Yuuna...this couple of days i see a lot of bad quality walls and just few good ones,i know this ppl just start with PS and stuff like that,but thats why you can find the n00bclub,threads with tutorials and the sandbox thread...If u wanna see a real elite site...go to animepapers and read the policy.

K I R A B O S H I !

chibikko

chibikko

chibigaki

Cancel

But look at those low quality wallpapers in the top favorites. These are the wallpaper that represent Minitokyo. I fully understand that the wallers who put a lot of time and effort into their work don't want to be represented by low quality wallpapers.

Cancel

Quote by Rebel-Soul-KazeMmmm,i agree with Yuuna...this couple of days i see a lot of bad quality walls and just few good ones,i know this ppl just start with PS and stuff like that,but thats why you can find the n00bclub,threads with tutorials and the sandbox thread...If u wanna see a real elite site...go to animepapers and read the policy.

Then you suggest a "Session Zero" thread for noobs?

Signature
-+| Signature by me |+-

• Jul 27, 2005
Cancel

I think it's a great idea because it would filter out the less than a minute wallpaper from members who are just trying to get levels. Also, we'll have more good quailty wallpapers and the recent submissions wouldn't be flooded with less-than-good wallpapers (not to be mean). But also, MT will have more webspace and be alittle faster.

Though like some already said, MT is a place to meet new people and show off your work wheather you're good or still learning. Members' who are actually trying to get better will feel discourage and prehaps leave this great community. If we could review all the wallpapers, and give advice on where it's good or where to improve then maybe it might work out.

Signature Image

Rebel-Soul-Kaze

Rebel-Soul-Kaze

Glittering Crux Emperor

Cancel

Thats why a lot of ppl is leaving MT,this days the new trend is "add on" walls...sad for ppl that take some time to think in a concept,make a background and give his heart and soul for a wall that the main stuff here is just scans with things added to make it look better and "different".

K I R A B O S H I !

tuxedotservo

tuxedotservo

-- gone and very much forgotten

Cancel

Wasn't that idea brought up previously?

The issue with filters is that they are then targetted for having a bias (real or imagined). More nasty forum posts are created, lambasting the filters, and mud slinging ensues.

I'm not sure what a good solution would be. Don't the admins already "quietly" delete stuff based on some criteria?

--
tuxedotservo
Palpatine for Emperor - Why Settle for the Lesser Evil?
Dancing to the beat of a different drummer, and it's not pretty.

• Jul 27, 2005

Lenne

Lenne

Warrior Girl

Cancel

Oh my,this subject really takes some serious thought.Well i agree with Samurai-Jin and AC2N,but that doesn't mean i don't also agree a little bit with you YuunaChan.Like i said it needs to take some serious thought.Let's just see if mods will say anything about this.

Signature
My latest work:Best Friends

Firebomb

Anime Lover

Cancel

i totally agree with you. there should be a human filter.

• Jul 27, 2005

ayanechan

ayanechan

- lost existence -

Cancel

I agree about the idea of a human filter. In case everyone starts to think that an individual's taste determinds the quality of a wallpaper (which some already has), it should not. The point of the filter is to lessen the amount of bad quality wallpapers in minitokyo. For example, bad extractions, simple cloud filtered background.

Quote by tuxedotservoWasn't that idea brought up previously?
The issue with filters is that they are then targetted for having a bias (real or imagined). More nasty forum posts are created, lambasting the filters, and mud slinging ensues.
I'm not sure what a good solution would be. Don't the admins already "quietly" delete stuff based on some criteria?

Admins are already doing that, just that BotChii would notify you and also, the admins are having handfuls of problems keeping up with minitokyo.

To those who thinks that minitokyo will no longer be a place for beginners, the 'sandbox' and certain groups exist to help them. Therefore, beginner wallers are able to improve even with the filter on. Imagine how happy if a beginner waller would be if he/she got his/her work into minitokyo pass that 'filter'.

Signature

hiddensnakehands

hiddensnakehands

Captain Obvious

Cancel

although it is a good proposal, it is actually hard to implement
the problem runs into
1. Everyone's opionion is diffrent, some would consider one a brilliant piece of work while others dismiss it, this would obviously lead to controversies, the obvious prevention for this would be multiple review, however this takes time and effort which brings me to my second point
2. Minitokyo is just a site we associate with, we all have a lot more important things to do other than Minitokyo, so to incorporate this would require a lot more work from the Moderators, I am not sure if they like that

so in all, good proposal, but very tricky to implement

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

• Jul 28, 2005

Sunira

Sunira

www.sunira.net

Cancel

A very good example of the human filter is Animepaper.net
They use moderators to look at wallpapers and filter them for quality. It works out great and their sites arent filled with angry people, who get their walls deleted months after submission and there are no awful wallpapers that break blatant rules. I think it works beautifully there.

AC2N

AC2N

Assez de haine...

Cancel

Quote by heavens-DragonI think it's a great idea because it would filter out the less than a
minute wallpaper from members who are just trying to get levels. Also,
we'll have more good quailty wallpapers and the recent submissions
wouldn't be flooded with less-than-good wallpapers (not to be mean).
But also, MT will have more webspace and be alittle faster. Though like
some already said, MT is a place to meet new people and show off your
work wheather you're good or still learning. Members' who are actually
trying to get better will feel discourage and prehaps leave this great
community. If we could review all the wallpapers, and give advice on
where it's good or where to improve then maybe it might work out.

I'm totaly agree with you... MT = community !

Signature Image

ever-ruler

ever-ruler

..: winter air :..

Cancel

I too have seen many poorly-made wallpapers on Minitokyo, wallpapers with bad extractions, wallpapers with only simple cloud filter backgrounds. But a human filter that deletes anything that looks bad might not necessarily be the best way. Although there are some artists who posts poorly-made walls just to level up, many new wallers would want to submit a work that experienced wallers would call a bad wallpaper to be reviewed and commented on by others for advice or possible improvements. Should deleting somebody's "bad wallpaper" because he was trying to be better be justified? Would that really be the right thing to do?

If so, then I wouldn't be the waller I am now. I had started walling after I joined Minitokyo (the great artworks on Minitokyo was what inspired me to start walling), and if it wasn't for my first few attempts and comments from other people and interaction with other members in the forums, then I wouldn't have come this far. If my first few works were deleted before it reached people who could comment and provide details for improvement, then how was I to know what was wrong with it? Or what I could do to make it better?

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 30 total items

Back to Minitokyo Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.