Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Any homeschool students? - Minitokyo

Any homeschool students?

page 1 of 1 12 total items

Squeaky-kun

The Grim Squeaker

I just spent most of today making my new objectives for this coming year so I fuigured I'd ask, are there any other homeschool students out there? What kind of sources do you use for your education? Is anyone else studying for their GED?

I'm supposed to be going into 9th grade however I've already finished the 11th grade reading lists my district provides. I would have done algebra last year if they didn't require that you do it in 9th grade regardless of wether you've already completed it. Same thing with biology. Well just thought I'd ask, it might help me with my objectives this year. Some of their requirements are just ridiculous.

::insert spiffy-pretty-looking signature image here::

"SQUEAK"

i was homeschooled and graduated a year early as well. it was nice but you had to learn selfmotivation. that was the hard part of it all.

Signature

fawna-chan

fawna-chan

butterfly ghost

hm...sometimes i wish i was homeschooled, but i guess that my parents aren't exactly quailified or i would want to. it's tough, isn't it? :nya:

Squeaky-kun

The Grim Squeaker

It's not that tough. It's a little difficult at first because once you aren't being rushed by the public schools you don't want to do much at all. After that it gets easier. Where do you live in Fawna-chan? The laws for homeschool teaching qualifications varies by country. I know here in the US so long as they have a HS diploma or GED equivalent they can teach you.

"SQUEAK"

I wish I was homescholed.

gundamknight

gundamknight

Newtype

I was homeschooled all along and I'm in college now :). I used different things for different subjects.

I haven't been homeschooled ever but I am on independent study right now which is pretty much like homeschooling except no parent to teach you. I do have a question about homeschooling though. Do you have to work 6 or 7 hours (whatever is normal where you live) a day or is it less than that?

StoicDan

StoicDan

I like to make waffles...

I just graduated from home school. But it was considered more independent study. I'd go to this building considered a school pick up my homework for the week and do it. Come back next week and return it and pick up new work. They gave me 3 subjects and everytime I finished a subject I would get a new subject. It was awesome cause I used to play around when I went to regular school and was behind 30 credits. In no time I graduated before everyone else. It was awesome.

Signature

Squeaky-kun

The Grim Squeaker

Amusingly enough, no they don't regulate the hours you have to work. You have to work something like 180 days. I work 6 days a week meaning that even if I start logging my work mid-September I could be finished before everyone else. As long as I can show that I did make a reasonable amount of progress for the year that's really all I have to do. For eighth grade I had to take a standardized test, that was mandatory, other than that what I did for the rest of the year was up to me. At the end of the year I turned in something like three math sheets, two written compositions, a list of books I read, and my scores on the standardized test. That was all I had to do.

"SQUEAK"

Sunira

Sunira

www.sunira.net

I dont think I'd want my parents teaching me anything. lol.
i liked public school a lot, it was really fun and I managed to make good friends and keep them even though Im in college now. Yet, I've always wondered what it would be like to have been homeschooled? I wouldnt have had to go too slowly in subjects I really understood, and I could take my time in subjects that were a bit harder. Hmm. Oh well, cant turn back time. Im happy with what i have. :D

wolfco

wolfco

Prelate

I was never home schooled, but I have a younger cousin whose parents pulled him out of public school. I'm a little bit concerned. If I understand what you are saying, you have a list of requirements which must be met and otherwise your free to learn as you wish. What exactly does the state, or whoever is responsible for monitering home schooled students, do when you fail to meet your requirements? Are there any real consequences? The reason I ask is that I don't think home schooling is the best plan for my cousin. He is at least Attention Deficient and I actually believe he may a more serious condition. His parents are not particularly intelligent and neither is well educated. I understand they removed him from public schools because of violent behavior. I just wondered if the state would do anything if he failed out; or, if I can expect him to turn up in jail eventually because his parents didn't socialize or medicate him correctly.

If you would challenge me, then you must first stand before the Darkness. You must look into it and become it. You must fall before it and then reach out to encompass it. When it is joined to your heart, you must overcome its insidious temptation. You are ready to face me when you can betray even your own heart in service to your cause.

Squeaky-kun

The Grim Squeaker

In the US I know that requirements are set by the state. I know that here in PA They give me a list of subjects I have to study and I simply set goals for each subject. I'm pretty sure the consequences are very much the same in every state though if you don't show progress. I've never had the problem myself, but here in PA every year I have to get my yearly portfolio checked by a certified teacher. If the teacher doesn't approve of your work it gets sent to the district superintendant who then looks everything over. If the dixtrict doesn't think I made progress I basically get held back a year, which would mean I would have to try to meet the same goals I set last year and I'd still be logged as an eighth grade student. If this happens a certain number of years in a row they are allowed to put you back into public education. Wolfco, I don't know what state you live in or how much pull you have with your aunt and uncle but I'd look into what programs the district offers for homeschool students. Many school districts have special programs for homeschool students who can come in for classes like PE or art. Like I said it varies by state but it might help your cousin out a little bit. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. ^_^

"SQUEAK"

page 1 of 1 12 total items

Back to Love, Friends & Family | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.