Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Should old people be allowed to drive? - Minitokyo

Should old people be allowed to drive?

page 2 of 2 « Previous 1 2 32 total items

wolfco

wolfco

Prelate

I think everyone should be re-tested every 5 yrs to prove that they have not lost any of their important driving skills. I really think that there are many elderly people who drive even though their vision is too impared and their reactions are too slow. When I'm trapped behind an elder driver I wonder why they are driving so slow. Is it really because they are obeying the laws? I believe it is because they cannot see and are not capable of adequate pressure on the pedals. However, I don't think it is fair to jerk there license without providing an alternate mode of transportation at a reasonable rate. The elder just do not have enough income to order a taxi everytime they need to go to the grocery store or a doctors appointment. We can't trap them in their homes without a means of getting out and socializing.

If you would challenge me, then you must first stand before the Darkness. You must look into it and become it. You must fall before it and then reach out to encompass it. When it is joined to your heart, you must overcome its insidious temptation. You are ready to face me when you can betray even your own heart in service to your cause.

KamikazeKoga

KamikazeKoga

??????????

Quote by crsgNot all older people are slow drivers, and certainly not all older
people have bad eyesight, etc. Its a pretty huge statement to say that
all older people shouldn't be allowed to drive/have a curfew time when
the majority aren't all that bad, a lot of it is simply eggateration
and impatience on others' part.

I agree. My uncle is old, but he's a good (and very speedy) driver. Anyway, I believe that everyone should be tested to see if they can stay in the road because there are younger people that are more dangerous than older people in the road.

Knives

Knives

Sleepy

My mom is 60 and she drives better then my uncle!
My uncle is really crazy though :P

I agree with those that said that older people should be re-tested (meaning they have to take a road test) every so often (say, every time they renew their license) to make sure they still have the skills and reactions required when driving. I know that here (in NY), every time you renew your license, regardless of your age, you need to get your vision tested, which is definitely a good thing.
In my experiences, most older people drive under the speed limit, which is just as dangerous as driving over the speed limit in my opinion, and the majority of them don't signal when turning (which is a huge pet peeve of mine).

Chiiishott

Chiiishott

Chi fanatic

They should have to take a test, and have thier cars inspected.

What should I put here?

Cathal

Cathal

ROAR!

Quote by ChiiishottThey should have to take a test, and have thier cars inspected.

lol inspecting vehicles is kinda digressing from the topic, but it's also a valid point for ALL drivers.

"The mouth of the just shall mediate wisdom, and his tongue shall speak judgment. Blessed is the man that endureth temptation, for when he hath been proved, he shall recieve a crown of life." - Lillium

I think once they hit the age 70 they should actually stop and think not to drive espescially if they are on a whole lot of medication and are almost blinded....Not to be rude of anything when i said that but winxfairykay is right...they should let their kids drive

Basically, I agree with Cathal =]
^^' Excuse the length.

Quote by babyck

Quote by BGHughes

Quote by BorisGrishenkono ages at all. it should be
based upon actual ability, not age.

yeah i agree with him, dont matter how old ya are as long as ya candrive good

it's the abilities/skills that matters
i've seen so much younger drivers and they drive super slow...ARGhHHh!
yes..they get on my nerves...if they're old, it's different, they might have some difficulties but these are youth/twenties/thirties and they drive at snail speed..me gawD
sorry. no offence to those that love to drive slowly. i just crave for speed.

I agree with all quoted above. One could alternately say that teenage drivers are...incompetent. I mean, it all depends on individuals. Drivers of all ages drive super slowly. It is up to the individual's discretion whether he or she is up to driving regularly. About having their kids drive them: Often, children do not live in the elderly parent's vicinity or the elderly are childrenless. Besides, I know many children who are very annoyed at having to drive their parents to doctors appointments. Now they are expected to chauffeur them around all the time?

A height issue has also been mentioned. Well, would that mean that teenagers too short to see over the dashboard should not be allowed to drive? There are elevating cushions for that purpose.

People's eyesight also degenerate at different rates. Also, I believe there are certain glasses that are on the market that assist those with poor night vision.

Quote by mongooseboionce people hit like the 50 mark, they should be tested more often to make sure they are able to drive.

I find it funny that you would choose 50. They must seem super old to you hm? lol, when you get to 50, I wonder what you'll think.

Many have suggested a yearly testing of "old" people's ability to drive well. I've heard many complain about the long lines at the drivers' testing offices. Would having an annual testing for all over the age of __ make that situation any better? And like keepergirl mentioned, there are already retestings.

What would be suggested? Calling a number whenever you encounter a driver who is going too slowly for your taste?

page 2 of 2 « Previous 1 2 32 total items

Back to Love, Friends & Family | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.