Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Language of comments.. - Minitokyo

Language of comments..

page 1 of 1 22 total items

Keltosh

Retired Moderator

Keltosh

Inquisitor on hiatus

i'm sorry to say this.. but lately (and i've been here only 2 weeks but it seems to me it's increasing) many ppl seem to be posting with comments and such in other language than english .. now... i can understand.. but.. it's getting a little bothersome, at least for me.
Of course if you just want to leech it's not a problem but when you want to post, you'd like to understan what other ppl said about the submission. And i'm probably better off than many others since i can sort of understand spanish!.
Well.. i have no real solutions to this.. just, i'd like to see this solved in some way.. just i don't know why

I just thought i'd post this here....

Signature
I am now on hiatus from moderating due to my thesis.
One of my favorite game ever: Mordor: The Depths Of Dejenol Community
The beautiful signature is from Biriwilg

Gamefish

Gamefish

Sashimi-san

I noticed too, I got some french comments on a few of my submissions and it's getting a real bother.. I know I shouldn't "luckily", but luckily that guy got banned for uploading a lot of other peoples work. Even though I had french at school, it's not what it used to be.. I barely managed to tell the guy I couldn't understand french :\
Unfortunately, I don't know a way to get this solved either ^_^'. All I can do is complain, while I know that's not helping..

Noctum

Noctum

.:Dark Lord:.

I can't understand Spanish and most of the French comments make more guess what is meant when actually understand what they want to tell me. :\
On the other hand, some people write English of a kind that even Japanese seems more understandable to me. XD

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

reaps

Don't fear the reaper...

i agree, i was reading some guys comment, and i took 2 years of spanish, and all i could understand was, sheep, donkeys, and another word that i don't remember, but the point is, it needs to stop.

Signature

Keltosh

Retired Moderator

Keltosh

Inquisitor on hiatus

yes, it's getting bothersome. try to understand, i just think it should be possible for everyone to understand.. and that is the problem as i suppose some of those people do NOT speak english .. o.o so.. i really don't know what to suggest..

but i DO think some of them just post in other languages just for the fun of it... (and you don't want me to post in italian :D who would understand? ) :D

Signature

biriwilg

Retired Moderator

biriwilg

+indie mod+

It says in the original MT charter that only English is allowed, I guess we haven't really enforced it. I hate to seem to persecute people, but English, and *only* English is allowed for communicating on MT.

Ranawen

Ranawen

MoonWandering

Quote by NoctumOn the other hand, some people write English of a kind that even Japanese seems more understandable to me. XD

That's my situation. I don't understand it. It seems like people go out of there way to make magled unreadable messages that resemble English. Like when people toggle the Caps.... what the heck is that about? ^_^'

white-zero

white-zero

Left this part of the universe.

it annoys me to no end. :angry:

Rhapsody

Rhapsody

Cara

Quote by RanawenThat's my situation. I don't understand it. It seems like people go out of there way to make magled unreadable messages that resemble English. Like when people toggle the Caps.... what the heck is that about? ^_^'

Toggling the caps is also against the rules of mt.... if I remember correctly - I agree with you, if MT is going to be in English, we need to keep it understandable.

Signature

Keltosh

Retired Moderator

Keltosh

Inquisitor on hiatus

Quote by biriwilgIt says in the original MT charter that only English is allowed, I
guess we haven't really enforced it. I hate to seem to persecute
people, but English, and *only* English is allowed for communicating on
MT.

Uhm , well, i'm kind of new here, after all ii've only been here for like 2 weeks but....well.. shouldn't you start to enforce it alittle at least? cause it's really getting more and more common and i think many of those comments are by ppl who could write in english...

like i don't know, try to pm those persons... even though i admit i have no clear solution to this problem, but it's bothering me .. -_- maybe some pm would sort some effect

And btw i agree those ppl who write like ThIs ArE ReAlLy annoying... those should be warned for sure cause their messages are HARD to read.. and btw cause it's moronic ....

Signature

candy-chan

Retired Moderator

candy-chan

I understand perfectly. But if 2 spanish pple talking together, lets say, on each others guestbook, does that really matter?

Keltosh

Retired Moderator

Keltosh

Inquisitor on hiatus

it does. i want to know what they say so i may put in my opinion. After all this is what this site is about

Signature

Noctum

Noctum

.:Dark Lord:.

A good example: http://gallery.minitokyo.net/view/14461/
I've no idea what these two are writing about that scan. -_-

Quote by candy-chanI understand perfectly. But if 2 spanish pple talking together, lets say, on each others guestbook, does that really matter?

For private discussions, there is still pm. ;)

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

sammo

Retired Moderator

sammo

Retired Moderator

use your imagination on what they're saying xD

rojacol

rojacol

.:INtheEXILE:.

Quote by candy-chanI understand perfectly. But if 2 spanish pple talking together, lets say, on each others guestbook, does that really matter?

When i post a comment on a wall, scan, or threat, i put it in english (bad english but... wth ^_^' ), i'm agree with "only english" in this sections. i think it's not big deal I if post comments in my natural language (spanish) on guest books of ppl who knows spanish, cuz' this makes a fluid conversation between us.

Signature Image
||Browse my Gallery||
||Miembro orgulloso de: (Proud member of) Hispanime||

Keltosh

Retired Moderator

Keltosh

Inquisitor on hiatus

welll, yeah, guestbooks are an exception. but in the other sections..

Signature

It does get annoying from time to time when ppl speak in other languages, and i wonder why they do it. I agree that this is an English community, and that at least in sections other than the pm or guestbook everyboudy should communicate in english. But how about the ppl who can't speak/type english?

Keltosh

Retired Moderator

Keltosh

Inquisitor on hiatus

as i said, i have no clear solution for this... so i started this thread :D

Signature

markjo

markjo

a bookworm & a film buff

Firstly, enforcing English language on all means discriminating people who don't speak English and would like to belong to this community and share their work. Therefore it's a loss to Minitokyo.
Secondly, if you are really interested in the comment, you can always either look it up yourself (very beneficial for your language skills) or PM the person making the comment and ask (or any other person in this community knowing the language). I have done it a few times and it works.

And you people complaining about not knowing a language after learning it for a few years - face it, you just didn't learn!

Zdenek

Zdenek

Bye bye~

I don't really suffer from this. The real problem is the server low speed.

OMG...liek I've bean banned cuz I'm n idiot. DUH ARMY GAME R0X0RZ!!1!!!!

No matter what someone is always going to lose out in a situation like this. :sweat:

If I can't understand the language of the person posting then I will ignore it. Simple as that. But if enough people in the community is upset about this then I feel majority rule apply which means English is the primary language to be used in this forum.

blueotaku-sp

blueotaku-sp

Blue is on me!

Quote by NoctumA good example: http://gallery.minitokyo.net/view/14461/
I've no idea what these two are writing about that scan. -_-

For private discussions, there is still pm. ;)

Yeah a good example ´cuase you don´t get to know what language it is, I think it´s Italian ´cause I speak spanish and "fa" it´s not spanish word, also i agree with rojacol with spanish speakers talk spanish in guessbooks of our buddies that also speak spanish.

Also I have seen an increase of Dutch speakers and they almost post dutch only!!
I think tha´s also part of the problem.

We spanish speakers can try to only sepak english except with our buddies via Pm or guessbook posts :)

page 1 of 1 22 total items

Back to Minitokyo Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.