Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 what causes you to stray from buying licensed anime? - Minitokyo

what causes you to stray from buying licensed anime?

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 47 total items

gelatinous

gelatinous

a duck sitting beneath a tree

Personally, I don't like to buy licensed anime for several of these reasons, but mostly i think that they don't do a good job on the subbing. I would like nice fonts & colors, as well as a romanji, kanji, and english lyrics on the songs like actual FANsubbers do. and especially lyrics that -do not- impose on the picture itself (or an option for no subtitles) would be nice. case in point: Adolesence Apocalypse Utena (i hate central park media anyway) they imposed the words -in caps no less- on the best scene in the whole movie! (the dance scene between Utena & Anthy)

i wanted to include a poll option "i buy licensed anime" but, oh well.

Well I think it just costs too much. But yeah i still buy cause i perfer real quality and i like value. Also cause i'm a collector. i do download to see what i like then i buy it.

gelatinous

gelatinous

a duck sitting beneath a tree

Quote by songprayeryunaWell I think it just costs too much. But yeah i still buy cause i
perfer real quality and i like value. Also cause i'm a collector. i do
download to see what i like then i buy it.

wow.. i admire you for that. i like when people download it and then actually buy it later.

puKKa

puKKa

Ecchi~~

I only buy movies/OVAs since they arnt too long and dosnt cost too much in the end.
The thing that I've also noticed with the "official" subs that are on the DVDs are that they are not as good as most fansub groups, and that is totaly lame since they even get paid for it and they do worse subs then those who does it for free. Feels alittle like the windows/linux situation ^__^

i don't care about lyrics to the songs since you can get them on the net. And yes, the voice actors are always lame so they should skip the dubbing and go for HQ subs with original audio and loads of extra material :D

well i just like anime to have subs and to keep it as original as possible e.g. changing words they say and some times editing the amount of blood shown

don't worry the site will be up soon
Signature
http://junto.sytes.net

bad dubbing... but sometimes the dub is fine, just like the english version of Vampire Hunter D ^_^'

Ai-chan

Ai-chan

~*||Ageha||*~

I'm from Germany and I can tell you, the german voice actors are really bad (at least in animes), they have no emotions then they speak...it's terrible...I only buy an anime, if I really want to have the original DVD, otherwise I prefer fansubs..

~*||Shounen Ai Angel||*~
Signature

musicgenerator

i'am what i'am

first they take take out all the gore scenes whic makes you wonder what happened there, then they give voice to characters that don't even match e.g shaman king linn (cannot remeber how the spelling was exactly). he is chinese with british accent then the british kid had a normal accent, they also cut and destroy the dialogue, and it is way over priced i mean come on 4 eps on a dvd for around $40-50

I buy anime so I don't really know but I think it's probably because it costs too much. Also dubs are usually bad but nobody forces you to use dubs.

Saikusa

Retired Moderator

Saikusa

~ scan-holic ~

Money. Plain and simple. I don't have enough, and I'm damned if I'm gonna fork out 15-20 quid per disc, containing only 4 episodes, when I can spend just as much on a bootleg and get the whole series with 8-9 episodes per disc. It just makes more sense.

It's a risk as you don't know what the quality of the transfer will be like, or how good the translation will be. By and large it's not too bad, but sometimes it can be really confusing and you have to really think about what little Japanese you know and make a better translation in your head ;)

kawaiiguy

kawaiiguy

Objective reviewer

Quote by gelatinousPersonally, I don't like to buy licensed anime for several of these
reasons, but mostly i think that they don't do a good job on the
subbing. I would like nice fonts & colors, as well as a romanji,
kanji, and english lyrics on the songs like actual FANsubbers do. and
especially lyrics that -do not- impose on the picture itself (or an
option for no subtitles) would be nice.

A lot of the "flaws" you point out aren't necessarily the fault of the producing company, but rather with the format DVD subtitles take. It's hard to control where the subtitles appear, since different DVD players have different definitions for top, bottom, left, and right. Also, TVs with different aspect ratios will display subtitles in different places. There just isn't as much freedom as with hard subs.

As for my reasons? I have none. I typically buy lisenced anime. However, I only buy if it meets a certain criteria. When watching the series the first time (as a fansub), I will usually know if I will buy it when it is lisenced domestically. If I liked it enough, I will make the commitment to purchasing. I think of it as "voting with my money," or something like that. There are, of course, a few economic factors that roll into the decision. For example, I really liked Fullmetal Alchemist. However, at 50 episodes, it would span more volumes than the norm. I didn't like it that much.

There's also the degree to which I purchase a product. If I really liked all aspects of a series, I usually end up buying other merchandise associated with it. Take Tsukihime. I bought the first volume with box, the subsequent two volumes, and both soundtracks (all domestic versions). I also own all of Noir and have (so far) resisted the temptation to buy the slim pack box set.

As an even higher degree, I have often considered importing various items (usually soundtracks). I have bought the Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou OSTs and I've contemplated getting the Petit Cossette OST. However, with the announcement of a domestic lisence for Cossette, I'll be picking that up in the fall (along with the DVD of the OVA).

Other reasons I buy domestic? I like the things that come on the disks that usually don't come with fansubs. For me, the difference is mainly in the audio track. DVD releases usually come with higher quality audio, and many quality series will come with a 5.1 or DTS audio track (usually only with OVAs). I'm a big fan of good sound.

Before I pick something up, however, I usually check the reviews of the disk first. Anime on DVD is one of my favorite review sites, as they often get disks before release. Reading the review will most likely help me make a better buying decision (i.e. if the disk has all the features I really want). For example, the Cossette DVD will be coming with a 5.1 Japanese audio track, a 5.1 English audio track, and a 5.1 DTS Japanese audio track. The last one is enough to make me drool. :)

Quote by saikusaI can spend just as much on a bootleg and get the whole series with 8-9
episodes per disc.

I have something against bootlegs. First of all, none of the money is going back to the creator(s) or company that made the series. Instead, it's going to some sketchy guy that might have stolen translations from a fansubber and then made his/her own disks to sell for a profit. It's a big scam, really. Why pay for something when you can easily do the same thing yourself?

Granted, there are some really nice bootlegs out there, but they remain bootlegs nonetheless. Most suffer from poor sub quality and I feel are hardly worth my time.

Signature Image

.:Administrator and contributer of the Minitokyo-review::Proud helper of Chaos-Cross - Help make MT a better place!:.

Basically two reasons why I might not, if I'm not a great fan but only vaguely interested in it it's not worth it, and I won't buy anything from ADV because of their policy of threatening people using copyright.

Well I sorta agree with the poll. The cost is too high, and I wouldn't buy it even if I had the money. I understand anime being more expensive than say a movie, but not really why it's so much more expensive than say a TV show. Most TV shows you can get a whole season for around $60-$100. With anime at $20 a disc minimum with $30 being more likely and a possibility of 8-9 discs you're looking at a minimum of $160. I love anime but that is just too much. Yeah, you can get sales where you can the whole thing cheap, but only after it's old... By the time something is old I've already got it anyway.

Signature

Quote by juntowell i just like anime to have subs and to keep it as original as possible e.g. changing words they say and some times editing the amount of blood shown

agree!!!!

kawaiiguy

kawaiiguy

Objective reviewer

Quote by minebannBasically two reasons why I might not, if I'm not a great fan but only
vaguely interested in it it's not worth it, and I won't buy anything
from ADV because of their policy of threatening people using copyright.

ADV using copyright is their own perogative. It is their legal right, since they have paid for the ability to do so. Most of the time, they just ask people to cease and desist. Most of the time, it happens. I haven't heard of any cases where anything has gone to court. After all, the fansub market helps fuel the domestic retail market. It's like free advertising!

Quote by bookimpWell I sorta agree with the poll. The cost is too high, and I wouldn't buy it even if I had the money. I understand anime being more expensive than say a movie, but not really why it's so much more expensive than say a TV show. Most TV shows you can get a whole season for around $60-$100. With anime at $20 a disc minimum with $30 being more likely and a possibility of 8-9 discs you're looking at a minimum of $160. I love anime but that is just too much. Yeah, you can get sales where you can the whole thing cheap, but only after it's old... By the time something is old I've already got it anyway.

Before too many people start harping on about prices, there's one thing that must be understood. Anime in the United States is less expensive than in Japan. That's right, less expensive. Not more. Less.

Most anime DVDs in Japan go for around the $40-$60 range. Each disk typically holds less than their domestic counterparts. OVAs are released one episode per disk, with each disk retailing around $40-$50. Don't believe me? Check out Amazon.co.jp's prices: http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/562020/ref=amb_d_nav_562020/250-7765859-9397027

Here's an example:
On Amazon.co.jp, the Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-ohki 3 OVA Episode 5 DVD runs for 5,040 yen. A quick conversion yields that to be around $45 US. The domestic version runs for around $25-$30. The domestic version also comes with three episodes per disk. Note also that this came out last December in Japan.

Still want to complain about prices? ;)

Signature Image

.:Administrator and contributer of the Minitokyo-review::Proud helper of Chaos-Cross - Help make MT a better place!:.

AyakaMachida

Baku Sekai

I think alot of people just dont like spending the money on licenced stuff, especially after they've already watched it for free. If i really like a series on fansub, ill buy it and the artbox so i can collect and complete the series, obviously if i dont like it i wont pay for the licenced version.

At the moment im currently watching through BECK on fansub but i already know that i want it when it gets released on DVD as i want the propper version. I dont have the abillity to download fansubs myself (56k user) but a friend will download the first few for me and if i like them he'll do the rest, ive watched on fans and brought the propper dvds of many series and will continue to do it this way.

i noted 2 points earlyer about the subtitles, as i to would like to see them similar to the fansubs as they look so much better, but then i also saw Kawaiiguy's point about the dvd player restrictions which is a shame as im sure companys such as ADV would love to do them this way too.

Ive got no problem with the prices either, i know a dvd cost next to nothing to make, but the people who make it have to get paid, if i get 4-5 episodes and afew extras on a disk, im happy.

I think in the end, it all just boils down to the individual themselfs, I dont buy it on DVD to help the companys, i buy it on dvd because i WANT it. Alot off people will watch it and think "ive seen that, no reason to buy it now" but i aways think people in the second catagory wouldnt of brought it anyway.

A mix of these reasons... But I think that I'll only buy anime that I'll enjoy watch again and I'm pretty picky on the anime that I rewatch so... so far there's only one serie that I want to watch again.

about the price in Japan. True that's expensive but more of the anime were aired on tv so I guess that buyers there have a pretty acurate idea of what they buy, since they've probably seen some episodes and sometimes every ep.

Signature
Thanks to GothicMike for making my avatar and signature.

Member of : Renegade Fighter ~ Anime Paradise ~ Death-Note

Pretty much that I dont have the money, if you are a student and lives alone then you dont have the money, its simple

Damn!!! Where do I begin?! I buy mostly domestic anime because I want it to succeed and become mainstream in this country but there are some serious problems with some domestic anime and maga (like the censorship of thengo tenge by DC). I don't like the high price of domestics, I don't like the censorshiup of domestics, i don't like when they leave out honorifics in dub, and especially in subtittles, and last but not least I don't like waiting. I'm up to episode 140 of Naruto in the imported DVD's, I just can't wait until July of 2006 for uncensored domestics. I'm up to volume 4 of the import DVD's of Bleach, that's a series that they have not even bout the domestic rights to yet. Of all the problems that domestics have, waiting is the worst. >=0000000~~~~~!!!!!!!!

rancor03

Head Forum Ninja

Only three things stop me from buying licensed anime.

First, because it hasn't been released in America yet.
Second, because I don't think I'll like it. (Very limited anime rental selection where I live)
Third, I've recently spent all my money on comic books, manga or (more likely) normal novels.

Bang

speedfreek19

speedfreek19

Belldandy Fanboy

well i d/l anime, although only unlicenced, even tho i still buy anime and its expensive for me XD. I havent really come across any series with poor VA's that i have bought

and i dont mind subs, but its a pain in the ass when i have to watch them on the computer although i can connect my pc to TV and watch them anyway but still its such a hassle

and id d/l alot more anime if i had broadband of course XD. Id hate to d/l all the anime i have on my harddrive again if i lost it (15gb or so worth and yes all done via dial up, well majority anyway, give or take a 1gb or so XD)

Signature Image

kawaiiguy

kawaiiguy

Objective reviewer

Quote by alminaabout the price in Japan. True that's expensive but more of the anime were aired on tv so I guess that buyers there have a pretty acurate idea of what they buy, since they've probably seen some episodes and sometimes every ep.

This holds for most regular anime, but for OVAs, it doesn't Remember, OVAs are released exclusively to video. There might be one or two episodes aired on television as a teaser to get people to buy it (or an extended version), but the primary format of distribution is dvd/vhs.

;)

Signature Image

It really doesn't matter, I'll watch it fansubbed if it has not been released yet, and if it has promise, I'll buy it...but the true reason, bad dubbing and too high! Because it stays on Japanese Dialogue, and sometimes I take out the subtitles! I'll wait to see if they will have a box set which costs less, because I bought the full series of Excel Saga for $80 dollars at A-Kon where each separate one costs $30, also don't be afraid to look in bargain stores...I found Volumes 2,6, and 7 of Chobits somewhere for $4 a DVD! I'm not kidding you....Also I can do a better job voice acting...my friends said I should audition for being a Anime Voice Actor....no truthfully!

kawaiiguy

kawaiiguy

Objective reviewer

Quote by StriderKyanzaki I'll wait to see if they will have
a box set which costs less, because I bought the full series of Excel
Saga for $80 dollars at A-Kon where each separate one costs $30, also
don't be afraid to look in bargain stores...I found Volumes 2,6, and 7
of Chobits somewhere for $4 a DVD!

I paid ~$60 for Excel Saga at Best Buy :) I've been tempted, but I didn't buy the slimline box set for Noir for $50 since I already own the entire thing normally...

Signature Image

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 47 total items

Back to General Anime & Manga Talk | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.