Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 what causes you to stray from buying licensed anime? - Minitokyo

what causes you to stray from buying licensed anime?

page 2 of 2 « Previous 1 2 47 total items

Mostly for me, it is the cost, but I refuse to watch dubbed anime by choice because usually its terrible.
That and I also HATE those companies.
The ideal company would essentially be a fansubbing company.
They just sub the anime, and sell it to you for like 20$ for the entire series opposed to 20$ for 4 episodes.

I would have to say that the prive is the biggest deturrent from buying licensed anime. Other things that I don't like about licensed anime is that it takes up a lot more space than say a china pirate (eight discs compared to three), and they change the names of the series and characters even in the subtitles(in Initial D Tokyo Pop changes Takumi's name to Tak).

I don't HAVE enough money TO BUY THE original version t___t

Bad subbing, bad dubbing, the cost and the length in which it takes to come out.

well i think all?! hehe bad dubbing, high cost, stoopid sub's. quality..well i doubt they will release any DVD for a poor quality video though...or have this really happened?

Signature

>.<

It's money, for me. If I had the money to buy them, I would, but I'm a poor college student. :(

i really go for the voice actors more than anything. >w< if the dubbed version isn't good, i won't watch it . owo

Signature

babyck

babyck

>*|*< c o f f e e & t e a >*|*<

it's expensive here...
and they're always dubbed into bahasa <--what the crap...
so...hehe ^_^'

fireflywishes

Retired Moderator, Linguistics

fireflywishes

Calgon, take me away~!

the main thing is the money... secondly is how good the show was... if i see the first couple episodes (through anime conventions, bittorrent, etc.) and wasn't like "wow, that was really good" then odds are that i probably won't buy it. i don't really know too much about subbing discrepancies because if i have the show from bittorent then i won't buy the dvd and vice versa, (however, i heard that the subbing for FMA dvd wasn't too great... "chibi"= "nincompoop"? i think not...)

Signature Image

gelatinous

gelatinous

a duck sitting beneath a tree

Quote by babyckit's expensive here...
and they're always dubbed into bahasa &lt;--what the crap...
so...hehe ^_^'

whats bahasa? @_@

Quote by fireflywishesthe main thing is the money... secondly is how good the show was... if
i see the first couple episodes (through anime conventions, bittorrent,
etc.) and wasn't like "wow, that was really good" then odds are that i
probably won't buy it. i don't really know too much about subbing
discrepancies because if i have the show from bittorent then i won't
buy the dvd and vice versa, (however, i heard that the subbing for FMA
dvd wasn't too great... "chibi"= "nincompoop"? i think not...)

chibi means nincompoop... the translator got PAID for this!? (well, i'm assuming)

The stupid US distribution companies, treat the consumers like idiots. They only put three to five
episodes on a dvd and, and fill it with a bunch of promos, and junk. Overpackaging otherwise halfway
decent TV shows is just wrong. People somewhere else are watching this stuff for f-r-e-e. I'm sick
of being ripped off. I bought Full Metal Alchemist on Hong Kong DVD and I got thirteen episodes for
15$ I don't really care about seeing a razor sharp picture, and I don't like dubs. I just want to watch my
shows. I really wished they sold cheaper non-dubbed tapes or something. The companies are just trying
to make a fast buck. They don't care what they're selling.

"This is a world filled with hatred where people's fingers have no other purpose but to pull triggers!!!
What do you believe, and why do you!?! - Rau Le Creuset

kawaiiguy

kawaiiguy

Objective reviewer

Quote by HIKURAXEThe stupid US distribution companies, treat the consumers like idiots. They only put three to five episodes on a dvd and, and fill it with a bunch of promos, and junk. Overpackaging otherwise halfwaydecent TV shows is just wrong. People somewhere else are watching this stuff for f-r-e-e. I'm sick of being ripped off. I bought Full Metal Alchemist on Hong Kong DVD and I got thirteen episodes for 15$ I don't really care about seeing a razor sharp picture, and I don't like dubs. I just want to watch my shows. I really wished they sold cheaper non-dubbed tapes or something. The companies are just trying to make a fast buck. They don't care what they're selling.

Welcome to America. It's a market economy and businesses out there exist to make money. Before ranting about prices, see one of my previous posts about US DVD prices vs. Japanese DVD prices.

Also, lisencing fees are NOT cheap. It costs money to bring something from overseas, because the Japanese companies need to make money too. The Japanese export this stuff for profit. Otherwise, they can't make as much money on their "free" TV shows. The profit comes when they sell lisences, DVDs, and merchandise. If you truly want to support the industry, buy lisenced disks. If you don't approve of the US distribution company practices, import disks from Japan (and pay more for them). In comparison to US TV box sets, the import factor just isn't there. The DVD producer is usually the studio that produced the series, thus leading to even lower costs. Alas, they still need to pay their staff, lawyers, factory workers, etc.

One point I would like to make is on the topic of illegit bootlegs found on shady web sites and eBay. Those really bother me because almost everyone gets ripped off when you buy one. Think about who gets the money when you fork over cash. The money goes from your bank account to the sellers bank account. It doesn't go anywhere after that. Now think about how much the seller paid for the product... practically nil. In other words, selling bootlegs is almost pure profit. They don't have to pay the lisencing fees, no money goes back to the creator, no support goes back to the workers who worked on the show. If you want to show your support for a series, buying bootlegs won't make your voice heard. In essence, you are ripping off the company that made the series. If you want to talk about making a fast buck, bootleg sellers have the market cornered.

Fansubs are great, it's like watching them on TV. If I really liked a series, I'll go out and buy it (legitimately).

Signature Image

.:Administrator and contributer of the Minitokyo-review::Proud helper of Chaos-Cross - Help make MT a better place!:.

Drifterx

Drifterx

Drifterx

well the licenesed one might cut some of the original!

Signature

Teryon

Teryon

He who invents Ultratech

Weeell...point blank, Im a cheap SOB who downloads everything he watches anime or otherwise, simply due to cost. They cant lower the cost enough to beat downloading, which is free. The best price in the world in MY book.

"Brute force is not my way. My technology can devise infinitely more
successful, subtle, and unpleasant methods..."
Signature

Since I don't live in the US I'd have to import the discs. If a disc is US$ 15.99 + the shipping cost usually is around US$ 15.00 + the customs tax of 60% the total value when the disc reaches my country = around US$ 50.00 for a single disc. As most series have 6 discs I'd have to pay US$ 300.00 to complete it (Or US$ 170.00 if I bought all the discs at once - Which I can't do since my credit card has a ridiculously small international credit limit).

While I do have enough money to buy them I refuse to pay that much for six dvds. If I was a lottery winner perhaps I wouldn't mind shelling out three hundred bucks on something like that, but sadly that's not the case (Yet).

In Japan, you can rent DVDs very cheap, but where I live, there isnt much DVD animes for sale in the first place let alone having a renting service for anime. That explains how they manage to 'get along' with that much quantity of anime in Japan. Elsewhere, it is hard to get hold of descent anime for 'normal' prices.
I watch Fansub.

speedfreek19

speedfreek19

Belldandy Fanboy

also it helps to have friends who are into anime as well ^__^

Signature Image

Besides being expensive, the dubbing really sux. The subtitles use crappy fonts and sometimes they aren't in-sync with the anime(like sometimes the subtitles are faster/slower than the conversations).

Well, having a DVD player to begin with would probably help...

My friend bought Gundam Seed the collection on DVD. And omgwtfbbq, the subbing quality was so horrible. They changed the spellings like every episode -.- After that I vow never to buy anime dvd's again. Cause after you open it you can't return it :-P

Quote by lilboymonkeyMy friend bought Gundam Seed the collection on DVD. And omgwtfbbq, the subbing quality was so horrible. They changed the spellings like every episode -.- After that I vow never to buy anime dvd's again. Cause after you open it you can't return it :-P

That was probably a bootleg. I think I heard somewhere that Gundam Seed isnt on DVD yet (in the US). I could be wrong since I have never seen Gundam. ^_^;

Anyway, I usually download the fansubbed version of a show first, then make plans to purchase it if it's avalable for purchase in the US. Because anime is a bit expensive I don't want to gamble by buying a DVD of a series I haven't seen in case I don't like it. There isnt any place around me either that has a lot of anime for rent. Blockbuster only has Evangelion and a few Miyazaki films. (I hope I spelled both of those right.)

dubbing and bad voice actors ruin everything, but money is big problem too.
As some people said, subbings suck too.

gelatinous

gelatinous

a duck sitting beneath a tree

Quote by DracilWell, having a DVD player to begin with would probably help...

niceeeee. >_< i found that amusing.

a bunch of people are complaining about bad dubbing. i feel like when i was younger the quality of dubbing was better, as in ... the actors could actually act, and voices chosen weren't so ... common/standard. ~_~

does anyone else think the quality of licensed anime was better back when they came on vhs tapes? o_0

page 2 of 2 « Previous 1 2 47 total items

Back to General Anime & Manga Talk | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.