Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Which is more important a song's LYRICS or MELODY to you? - Minitokyo

Which is more important a song's LYRICS or MELODY to you?

page 2 of 4 « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next » 73 total items

Beccieboo

H e l l o . . .

i think they're both as important as each other - the words - if sung really well - will make you feel somthing and the melody - to give the song an extra boost to make it the best it can be ^^- ttyl

Beccie XxX

I'm still here. . . all thats left of yesterday. . .

I listen to the melody, I listen to Japanese and Korean music and can't understand what they are saying but the music is just so beautiful that I don't care.

I am nothing but trouble...
Signature

Both are important, but I think on the whole, the melody would be more noticeable and easily remembered. I do love a song with well-written lyrics, though. ^^

Melody by far. Maybe its just something that comes with the habit of playing videogames (specifically RPG's) 'cause you're stuck hearing the same melody over and over and over again, that's why I think the melody is more important. As long as the tune is catchy, you just forget about the lyric.... well, maybe you do have to know the lyric, you don't want to walk around whisthling some cool-tuned satanic hymn or something... rigth?

i listen to the melody...
cause i don't hear the lyrics sometimes ^^;
but then sometimes when i try to remember a song i only remember the words or the melody so they're both the same i guess

the meaning of life is [drumrollll]........................2?

wolfco

wolfco

Prelate

The melody... the sound is the heart of a song. The meaning and emotion are tied into sounds of the song. The lyrics are a gloss which expound on or in some cases detract from the overall meaning. Do you listen to poetry readings on your radio? Of course not, it is the music, the melody of sounds which bring you back to the song over and over. Remember that the delivery of the lyrics is just an aspect of the melody and sound itself. The words themselves and their specific meaning are not always as much a part of the song as the sound of the words in the song as a whole.

If you would challenge me, then you must first stand before the Darkness. You must look into it and become it. You must fall before it and then reach out to encompass it. When it is joined to your heart, you must overcome its insidious temptation. You are ready to face me when you can betray even your own heart in service to your cause.

Quote by wolfcoThe melody... the sound is the heart of a song. The meaning and emotion are tied into sounds of the song. The lyrics are a gloss which expound on or in some cases detract from the overall meaning. Do you listen to poetry readings on your radio? Of course not, it is the music, the melody of sounds which bring you back to the song over and over. Remember that the delivery of the lyrics is just an aspect of the melody and sound itself. The words themselves and their specific meaning are not always as much a part of the song as the sound of the words in the song as a whole.

I think so, and the melody that make important part, especialy when you listen to a song in foreign lyrics and don't know what the meaning of it.

Itami-Chan

Itami-Chan

Mrs.Kakashi..and sn34k3rs master

well to me both are very important but...if i would have to choose i gotta say the lyrics hehehe....

sig and avvy made by k1ru! ^.^

ohmygoshainuyasha

ohmygoshainuyasha

Don't make me think.

I like both but I think it's the music... because on some songs I can't even understand what they're saying! I just like listening to it.

chibikko

chibikko

chibigaki

I guess melody. I love skew melodies =D and I don't understand the lyrics in every song. For example Japanese songs or some English are hard to get for me, too. So I care about the melody much more.

Music and lyrics should compliment each other for me to really like the song. I've heard many catchy tunes with lyrics that suck and ruin the song. I've also heard instrumentals and have thought, "This would sound so much better if somebody had put words to this".

The music catches your ear and draws you in, but often it is the lyric that sustains the interest and makes the song memorable.

CosmoStar

CosmoStar

Let's be Nakayoshi*

I like the lyrics best than the melody. Although I like music with beautiful melodies, I always feel attracted to beautiful, poetic, intelligent lyrics and that make me like the song for a whole (I'm a writer, I think this explain why I like lyric best :))

~Life is happening somewhere else from here
~[D-A]~[A-F]~[W-L]~[M-F]~[G00D]~[GSA]~[KxL]~[Red-Knight]~[Princess of Orb]
~Mod from:~[KS4Ever]~
Signature

I can usually tolerate bad lyrics if the song has a good melody. Good lyrical writing is a rarity anyway, so there really isn't much choice.

Rizy123

Rizy123

*AM active now, msg me baby ;)*

Both... then again I dont understand the japanese songs I have ^_^'

i could tolerate either if the other was really good..

(Good lyrics - bad beat OR bad lyrics - but really groovy beat )

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

Melody, but I think that the voice itself acts as an instument. Therefore different words would affect the song and it's feel.

lyrics are important. but then the melody makes me listen to the song over n over. sometimes i dont pay attention to the lyrics, just the melody itself.

Lyrics all the way. It's how I can put them into my music videos and how I relate to them ^_^

SilentKnight

SilentKnight

Spit Fire Like Dhalsim

well, seeing as how I'm more of a rap fan at the moment, I'd have to say that I would be willing to sacrifice melody for lyrics.
A rap song could have one of the best instrumentals in the world, but if it's message is just another guns, money, women, etc. then it isn't worth listening to.

though ideally, a good song would have a nice mix of both.

Leader of the Hip Hop And Rap Alliance: http://hiphopandrapalliance.minitokyo.net/
Signature Image

Melody. I rarely actually pay attention to the lyrics lolz.

Lore589

Lore589

Lonely Dreamer

I would say it would really depend on the type of music. Like in rap the lyrics are the most important things in the song how ever when it applys to jazz the melody it's the melody and not so much the words but in the end both are equelly important

eXDream2K5

eXDream2K5

the crazy band geek

both. the lyrics might be good, but I'm a musician and have been one for nearly eight years, and I know good music when I hear it. if the music in the background is too quiet or it just plain sucks, there's no point in me listening to it. There has to be melody and harmony, there must be a presence of chords, not just someone mindlessly playing with a guitar/bass. Ask any band teacher, music major, or university band instructor, and they will tell you the same thing. I like lyrics that speak to me for some reason; maybe I can identify with them, maybe I just think the words are meaningful and great. as an amateur lyricist myself, I am influenced by several singer/songwriters, mostly ones that draw from life experience, politics, etc., like Bob Dylan and George Harrison.

add vocals to that, because it's quite the turn-off if the lyrics and the music are excellent and the vocals suck ass. If the "singer" is rapping or screaming and not actually singing, fuck it, that song can burn in hell for all I care, regardless of what others think.

Labels are for cans. I'm not a f*cking can.

Quote by sebastian22the most important thing is the Melody.Because sometimes you hardly understand the lyrics ^_^'

Me too. (-_-' )

i think the melody is more important than lyrics for me.
Melody is make me enjoy with those songs. (because I can't understand lyrics in Japanese OST ^_^')

I think the melody for me

Ryoki-san

Ryoki-san

multum in parvo-ore no ichiru

Quote by CowboyBebopFreakThe melody and the lyrics need to complement each other.
Neither should overshadow the other. ; ^ ^

yeah they also half to match or the song sounds crappy like a fast heartbreak song 'er sumthin'

Signature
dont cut off your own arm just to spite me
sig frm saku

page 2 of 4 « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next » 73 total items

Back to Love, Friends & Family | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.