Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 DBZ - Minitokyo

Tagged under

This thread is closed for posting.

page 1 of 1 13 total items

DBZ is often faulted for being a series of pure quantity over quality. More for a meathead than a true anime fan.

I dispute this, while simplistic at times through pure quantity it has much character development, lasting storyline, some drama and also much more fighting than most series. Also, the main purpose of entertainment is to entertain, DBZ is entertaining. While secondary purposes could exist, its primary purpose is to be enjoyable for the viewer and DBZ by and large is if one gets past qualms with its apparently simplicity or "stupidity" at times.

Whats your opinion?

SilentMasamune

SilentMasamune

I'm all washed up. . .

Good thread for discussion considering it's an anime thread. ;) I think that DBZ is a rather overrated show despite the action-packed scenes it is comprised of. Though there is a bit of a storyline to the series, the story does get repetitive for each major bad guy faced, such as finding a stronger power to beat the bad buy and assimilating new techniques to try to beat the bad guy. Yes, a true anime fan knows that it would take more than just fighting in a series to come to a conclusion, and there shouldn't be any repeated techniques just to attract the viewer. It's like having to move on...they have to find new means of entertaining the viewers in the same show.

Signature Image
Support Limerock Cafe - full feature forum and gallery

mitchell

mitchell

Dragonfly789

DBZ Has Lots Of Episodes...I Have To Admit The Story Sometimes Rambles On About Past Events.... XD

Signature

Anime Currently Watching:- Haruhi Suzumiya - Dragonball Z - Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood
Games Currently Playing:- Final Fantasy IX/XIII - Star Ocean The Last Hope - Oblivion GOTY

LabyKusha

The Zombie

I can't for the life of me see what was so amazing about it now, although it is a good series, but there must have been something special about it for it to have held my attention so obsessively all throughout middle school. Maybe you just have to be a certain age to really understand it?

"OMG, There's a BEAR in my oatmeal!!!"

"It's like having to move on...they have to find new means of entertaining the viewers in the same show."

Or perhaps not. Sometimes the same old techniques do get stale, then again I've played Counter-strike for the last 5 years as almost the sole game I play. With DBZ, the later Sagas only get better with better fighting and much more emotional intensity due to all the hundreds of episodes of previous character development. I never felt moved by a scene in the earlier DBZ, but the later DBZ sagas when Vegeta went bezerk against Cell or against Babadi and the like I was practically off my seat in anticipation and excitement the first time I saw it.

See, I don't think the repeated techniques are boring if the specifics are sufficiently different and when you consider what the show is basically offering. This is because like Counter-strike, I just want more of the same, I want more fighting, more ass kicking and more power ups and SSJing with that little bit more on top that comes with hundreds of episodes of character development to keep it interesting.

A lot of anime I consider to be trash in comparison to even a set of Star Trek "quick-read" novels let alone a real book in terms of character development, plot and the like. Sure, there are some good ones but many of them use very tired and overused tricks of the anime trade. A lot of them start feeling the same and feel like amateur sci-fi or fantasy stories written by 15 year olds. This is probably because their main audience is 15 year olds that get excited by the petty fan service that is displayed time and time again in so many of the series.

limaho

limaho

cursed one

hmm I think it's just only the anime , DB manga has a better storyline and fewer episode so u can enjoy it . Try it if u think the anime it's not good ....

Signature

Most people do not like the series for the sheer legnth of it.
They can stretch out a small fight into a "saga"

It's an incredibly long series, which might discourage some people. I just find it really funny and since I've watched in on and off for a while, I can't say that I dislike it.

superdice

superdice

I am a shadow

Wudge i have to say that i agree 100% with every point you make

There are those who judge the series after only watching a few episodes and worst still there are those who judge it before watching ANY episodes and lets not mention the class of ppl who judge it based on what their friends / forums say.. (seems i have mentioned them :) )

In any case, i believe that ppl should reserve their judging only after they see the series, then even DBZs most toughest critic will have something good to say about the series.

I know that DBZ isnt the best anime in the world... but boy i love it.
The story at times can be solid, the characters are perfect, the action can become damn good and intense at times... think back to Gohans final struggle against cell and last but not least the most important point of them all... a point that all dbz fans and non fans can agree on ... Vegeta. :) (what what)

So watch before you judge ;)

Signature

Ninja have a bad temper when they lose at anything. They will usually cut off the winners head before they have time to gloat.

Never store shuriken in your underwear.

Come talk to me fellow Ninjas, find me on MSN if you can.

dbz it's kool movei

Well after freeza saga the series is getting flat, with the same patterns over and over. The cell saga is good enough but the final [boo] saga is very boring. Finally don't see dbgt, it's the worst series of the dragonballs [well an off topic quote].

im SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO LOVE dbz and dbgt ^^

Spystreak

Retired Moderator

Spystreak

The Grim Reaper

Please don't bump 2 year old threads.

Fools You Can't Escape from The Grim Reaper. Your Only Chance for Escape Is Death. Bye Bye Now
Signature
Your Ignorance Will Be Your Own Downfall.

page 1 of 1 13 total items

Back to In-depth Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.