Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Web Designing - Minitokyo

Web Designing

page 1 of 1 16 total items

Me and a friend are thinking of making a couple of webpages, so we were wondering what the different codes are good for.
That is HTML, XHTML, PPoE and so on...which ones are the hardest to learn?

Firefox

Hi, I'm your favorite browser

Don't think you got any choice in this, visiting the site of the W3C could get you pretty far what those mark-uplanguages are exactly, but safe thing to say is that xhtml is your most logical choice in this matter. Unless you wanna make crappy sites like there are too many of them out there.

There are also plenty of free Templates available so you won't have to spend much time on coding.

Also, what in the world this third thing is you are mentioning is a riddle to me.

hiddensnakehands

hiddensnakehands

Captain Obvious

PPoE, i think you mean to say PPPoE?
PPPoE is a network connection method, not code

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

Wish i could design a web page but im too lazy :(

I would go for learning xhtml as stated above using CSS. Using CSS you can make changes to the appearance of all the pages on your site by simply changing one file. I would also run the website through the W3C's validator constantly through development to avoid having problems later on.
If you want to be really lazy with the code you could use a scripting language to automatically generate the web pages for you. I use PHP for this.

bluSake

Retired Moderator

bluSake

Yeah: xhtml is the most logical choice, and CSS is very useful. I would recommend this site >> W3Schools. It has tutorials for everything you need and more. Check it out.

Signature Image
Last walls - [The Lotus] for xxxHolic || [Amano Couture] for Yoshitaka Amano
Groups - [Aspiring Mafia] [NewWaveProject] || [Straw-Hat-Pirates] [Simple-ism]

PPPoE, lol, meant PHP :P

Thanks for the sites and info! I'll check it all out.

hiddensnakehands

hiddensnakehands

Captain Obvious

ummmn, I would suggest to make a good website, at least in my experience
theres no need to learn html, xhtml, because it is pretty easy to figure out what you have to do if you either view the source on other peoples' page or use an HTML editor
the thing you might want to consider to learn is cgi scripts(i am learning right now) and php,

SilentMasamune

SilentMasamune

I'm all washed up. . .

If you would like information on the meaning of the HTML tags and CSS coding methods, you can visit HTML Code Tutorial. They provide recommendations on what codes to use as well.

Signature Image
Support Limerock Cafe - full feature forum and gallery

Quote by hiddensnakehandsummmn, I would suggest to make a good website, at least in my
experience
theres no need to learn html, xhtml, because it is pretty easy to
figure out what you have to do if you either view the source on other
peoples' page or use an HTML editor
the thing you might want to consider to learn is cgi scripts(i am
learning right now) and php,

HTML editor like GoLive?

Thanks again everyone. Since most of you said xhtml I'll try that out first, then giving PHP a try after that.

Oh, yeah, I heard that ASP.NET (ASP.NET+?) is kinda good...any info on that?

I would recommend against using an HTML editor. They suck, plain and simple... Any code a computer generates will be orders od magnitude more inefficent then that which a human writes. Besides, if you are going to be designing websites you should know how they work, so that if there is a problem you can fix it. And besides, writing code is fun! :D

"Anything is possible, the impossible just takes longer."

hiddensnakehands

hiddensnakehands

Captain Obvious

well, I would just borrow the code from anything you like and patch them together

Firefox

Quote by CaeI would recommend against using an HTML editor. They suck, plain and
simple... Any code a computer generates will be orders od magnitude
more inefficent then that which a human writes. Besides, if you are
going to be designing websites you should know how they work, so that
if there is a problem you can fix it. And besides, writing code is fun!
:D

Actually, it's just how you use a HTML-editor. You see, there are two ways of working, code-based (typing code) or the so called WYSIWYG-method (What You See Is What You Get) which works visual orientated. The HTML-editor I use, DreamWeaver, offers you to work with any of these manners or even combined. I wouldn't know it for others.

Quote by hiddensnakehandswell, I would just borrow the code from anything you like and patch them together

There are webmaster which could get pretty upset if you would do that. I certainly wouldn't mind, I learned a huge amount of diggin' in some else's his code, but I've seen webmasters going completely bonkers because they merely thought someone used their HTML-code.

Quote by VetroxOh, yeah, I heard that asp.net (asp.net+?) is kinda good...any info on that?

It's either PHP or asp.net. I'd say PHP, since you'll have it much better learning it. A good site with tons of basic PHP-scripts is HotScripts.com.

hiddensnakehands

hiddensnakehands

Captain Obvious

Quote by firefoxThere are webmaster which could get pretty upset if you would do that. I certainly wouldn't mind, I learned a huge amount of diggin' in some else's his code, but I've seen webmasters going completely bonkers because they merely thought someone used their HTML-code.

yeah, I know
However, as I learned in my computer science class, as long as you dont borrow an entire paragraph of code it is okay
Plus, what good does it do if you just dupe the code anyway. You will have to make some changes to suit your needs, that is really the best way of learning. Personally I would not know a big deal about HTML tags, but from looking at other peoples source code and their website, i was able to figure out what each one does, and thus can write my own
Sadly, that is how I learn

Quote by Firefox
WYSIWYG-method (What You See Is What You Get) which works visual
orientated.

That's actually what I was talking about, sorry I whould have made that more clear. I use Dreamweaver too. I would be lost with out the syntax higlighting it does, it just makes the code so much more easier to read.

"Anything is possible, the impossible just takes longer."

Firefox

Quote by hiddensnakehandsSadly, that is how I learn

You don't need to be sad about that. A lot of webdesigners learn like that, a lot of good ones as well.

page 1 of 1 16 total items

Back to Computers & Internet | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.