Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 The many changes at Minitokyo... - Minitokyo

The many changes at Minitokyo...

page 2 of 3 « Previous 1 2 3 Next » 66 total items

meh, the truth is , we hate you all n_n
almost every person who makes it to top fav
will be criticize, rediculed, etc etc.
You will be bashed, flamed, etc etc. probably without your knowledge
Your wall will be picked apart and your character n reputation down the
drain. If you have over 200 friends, getting into top fav brings you no
glory but brings attention to yourself which won't be a good thing.
Should this discourage you from trying to get to top favs?
yep, unless you dont have 200+ friends or advertise your wall or
plan to wall daily, you will be bashed unless your work truly is something
that took effort.

MT infamous irc room...its not that bad.
Do we bash people? yep. All the time? nah we have better things to do,uno
and trivia n teamspeak n people playing counter strike
so want to know who does the bashings? pretty simple really,
any veteran waller that can spot brushes and small details in wall,
they're not the kind that just fav so easily or fav right away.
But we don't bash you all the time like i said, mostly when you submit a wall
that gets to top favs or make a thread or post something that has to do with
community.
Sure, sometimes new people come in and join in, but most new people who
join mt's irc room wont be welcomed so pleasantly or easily most of the time.
Usually, i dont prefer to say names but (removed from privacy), and a few others
are common victims of such talk.
I wouldn't get angry though, isn't like that will change anything or make them stop,
just more talk so don't let it get to you.
If you can't do that, its just like being any other member who is flamed and retailiates.
the irc room is not as strict with such things as mt itself though mods are commonly there.
Don't worry though, mods dont bash you guys, at least not in front of us.

When i first came to the irc room though, which was many months ago, i never really
heard them talk about stuff like that. Sometimes when a member did something stupid
then people will comment on it. Anyone who frequently visits doesnt even have to visit
mt that much to know of how much it's changed because there's always someone who
keeps up with the news n will inform us all.

We're not blind or anything or mean, ok maybe some are but oh well people are people,
but its no secret anymore what kind of things go on in the room.
Though it only hapens maybe 30% of the time, we commonly like to bash n tease each
other so no one's a coward for saying things. Unless you'd prefer lke 10 gb posts telling
you and anyone who sees thats your actions are not appreciated.
Many of these members have been in mt since the begging, the the days of tokyo seven
and beta testing so most of the time, they know what they're talking about and if you
spend enough time there, you'll be able to see what they're talking about easily.

just wanted to let you know that many of your actions on this site are being watched
and attempts at helping not really working in our eyes.
Nothing new is being said that people don't already know about the site,
slow, spammish, low quality blah blah blah, most members wont care as long as they still
end up with their walls at the end of the day so a message to whiners/complainers/criticizers
that aren't working to do anything usebut but complain or tell people to do stuff
just es tee ef you n have a nice day n_n

~Chopz

o_O-0
weeeeeeeee

animefreak3

animefreak3

Serpentarius

If they've gone off the wrong side of things, then it's all the more important to guide them into the right direction. The work is on you, and if that's too much, then maybe it's better work that is left to more capable hands.

Check your own, before you start looking to others. Read Hsun Tsu.

i think the auto punishment is a bad idea. Life is about the greys, and not black & white. There is something as such where you're so right, that you are wrong. Wrong, and alone.

We begin and end in nothingness. Our darkness is confronting our ultimate nature, for nothing can come from nothing. We must sow the wind and reap the void, since the now is all we have. Together, we walk in darkness.

YugureKaze

YugureKaze

The Lost Wanderer

Hmm...it's been a while since I've posted on one of your threads hasn't it?

Quote by SilentMasamuneIn my nearly 30 weeks of being at Minitokyo, possibly being an MT
veteran considering I know very much about the community and the way it
functions, I've noticed many changes here at Minitokyo. Some of the
changes were for better, and many in my opinion were for worse. While
Minitokyo clearly provides plenty of information to help settle down,
many members don't take advantage of that information to prevent
themselves from getting into trouble. The rules are being broken more
and more often, and so many members are degenerating in status as of
late. From what I've seen just by browsing in other forums in the
shadows, many of the members who are part of the site are not
respectful towards others, especially new and upcoming members.
Minitokyo, as you could see, is not like that.

Wow! you haven't been here for 30 weeks yet?
...now that i think about it i've been on 41weeks...[feels so old >.< ]

What changes have you noticed during your stay at Minitokyo?
Hmm...so many changes have occured since I joined MT...
It seems like I have lost contact with quite a few of the older MT members
There have been a lot of repetitive threads, which are starting to get a bit annoying
It also seems like some of the members don't seem to be as nice as they used to be
...I think that is about all I can think of...

What do you think of the information I stated above?
I think that a lot of the info that you stated is true...even if you stole it from suki nee-chan >.>

Wow! you're threads sure are special Mel XD
I think that your threads are one of few that cause me to make a long post...

EternalParadox

Retired Moderator

EternalParadox

.:Enigma Mod:.

Quote by animefreakIf they've gone off the wrong side of things, then it's all the more important to guide them into the right direction. The work is on you

I suppose you mean all those "please read the forum guidelines before posting" and the "here is an existing thread on this topic." I certainly think these are guiding them into the right direction, i.e. reading the rules and searching before posting.

yes, there are gray areas, which is why the moderators should still be the ones deciding what really constitutes spam and what is a legitimate discussion. Once that is determined, if you leave the consequences in the gray, I fail to see how anyone will ever learn the "right direction" if they see some people get away with certain things.

EternalParadox
Previously the Forum, Vector Art, and Policy Moderator

shinobinokuro

shinobinokuro

Boku wa DDR GA SUKI desu

Ive been here for about 16 weeks now and i have seen changes such as the aditude inbetween members at the first time i noticed this is wasent acually to be seen [what i mean is that it wasent as if mt members were constantly degrading eachother] intead the way some would put there words together wasent as quite as conforting as before when i first joined this site peopel werevery friendly to eachother, most still are as i was looking threw the treads i dident see any fourms about another mt member in a negative way but then later on soon after my 5ft week a fourm came out about a misunderstanding inbetween two mt memebers. misunderstandings are human and they do happen eventually but overthinking the situation before posting a forum .now it seems most of the threads about other mt members are aparently misunderstandingsbut i supose everything has to be resolved another i have seen is the arguements that go one in threads [i find them entertaining XD] but even though we have our own statements we must respect others aswell the situation is bad enough to be reported . because of these two conficts i feel that there is a tense /negative vibe going threw some of the forums >.< i hate negative vibes.

Quote by silentmasamuneAs for the submissions, there are still many members who are submitting gallery items which don't fit the minimum criteria for being accepted as a submission. There are also some dedicated members who would like to see a change here at Minitokyo for the better in terms of the gallery items because as of late, there hasn't been too many good submissions to be completely honest. I know I'm not the best wallpaper artist around, but at least I try and I hope to get better and better with each submission that I make. It shouldn't be about submitting something similar or worse in content; take the tips that are given and jot them down so that next time, you could submit an improved wallpaper to Minitokyo. This is something I have yet to see.

yes very true i could go threw 15 pages of new submissions and i would only find 1 i'd like.i really do think that the ones thatarnt faverites should be deleted [not really my say] also another problem i have seen is when some one submits an item that could be good or bad i have seen comments that have a negative effect on the picture and the member itsstead of saying something like "its really not that good uno" you could just say "next time use more of....: i think it needs more ..... , but good job anyways" XD

meh thats it i think every problem so be resloved and i adree with silentmasamune on every state ment i do not belive that we could change what is being submited on the galleries but for that negative vibe we have a chance i would really like to feel more relaxed at mt is a great site with great people who have great respect with eachother yes we all have our opinions about other members but when it comes right down to it theres no one that we really feel like they shouldent be here i donno if you guys would agree on me with this but mt memeber are closely resembled as a family[kinda] we back up any members who have opinions on problems or facts that can be proven we confort when alot of us has trouble in our lives this site has got to be oen of the best sites i have been on it sturely does have a spirit within itself. i find these conficts really minor but everything has to be resolved ats ome time right XD heheh see you all around

left out....................alot heheh ^_^

fireflywishes

Retired Moderator, Linguistics

fireflywishes

Calgon, take me away~!

in my stay at MT (28 weeks) i've noticed that some members can be quite rude to each other and some speak "down" to new members. we are a community and i feel that some members have forgotten that. one example i can think of was one member made a polite request of another member and got somewhat of a nasty reply to their post. i've also noticed that many members don't seem to like to search before creating new threads... or reading the rules in general. before i went on vacation, i noticed a slight increase in inappropriate threads (one such example was about masterbation... :sweat:)

i'm not a waller so i can't really be too critical, but even so, i have also noticed that some walls just aren't up to snuff.

Signature Image

anji

anji

Retired waller

Quote by Terra-chanAnd @ anji. I don't think time spent on a wall is a big issue. Half the time I spend on my walls is experimentation and thinking "does this work? Should this brush go here? maybe I should try this brush?" Some people are good at putting their ideas together quickly and doing quick preparations. I generally don't count doing wallpaper vectors the few times I actually note how long something took. Working on the vector can be 2-3 times longer than the time I spent on the wall I wanted to use the vector for. Does taking less than a day mean my wallpapers are bad? Does taking two weeks mean your wallpapers are absolutely awesome and everyone should love them? I don't think so. Is being able to actual know what every function of your image program work and how it affects an image with such and such settings and being able to use them in every way possible ensure that a wallpaper is "good"? Does not knowing how to do much with an image program make a wallpaper "bad"? These things are all relative. There is no "good" and "bad" when it
comes to these things.

Well I was knowing that some will take it that way, but that's not really what I was meaning...
I do think you can make something good in less time then one week, time is a factor that can increase the quality of a wall but I don't think it's the only one.

i just mean that some people should work more on their work before posting it and doesn't. It just makes me sad to see not elaborate and unoriginal wall when I try so hard to make something a bit different. Thinking about an idea is also part of making a wall.
I was not aiming anyone by saying that.
And I don't think at all that people should love my wall cause I put more time into them, it's still a question of taste.

Administrator of ~ French-Tribu

winterlilac09

winterlilac09

white freed by her savior~

Chopstickz said everything. *___* And everyone on IRC knows that this will be the ONLY time I'll ever praise him for something he does again.

Changes on Minitokyo ~ basically what chopz said, ever since... quite a while ago, I'd say the biggest change was the amount of members I've seen come and go MT. All of the older members from around the time I was around and a bit after that are mostly... all gone from MT =/ or gone to to better places. More and more new members have joined, which has resulted in the increase of whiners/spammers/rippers as well as a faving system now, which is mainly based off of the number of friends a person has and advertisement. To be frank, the wallpapers, which are now entered into the daily featured submissions don't even compare with the crap walls that were submitted when I first started coming to this community. It's almost funny, because if I hadn't known better, I'd almost say MT was now a popularity contest for wallpaper favs and a place for those who some people would refer to as "attention whores" to gain 'friends', notability, and well, just attention... in general.

And oh, about the second question that was posted, sorry... I'd write something about that and normally, I would read through the entire post, but~ I hadn't bothered.

My apologies if I came off as rude, cruel, harsh, offensive, or anything of the sort. I never mean to, just that everything I say I mean. I wouldn't ever lie about and pretend to feel one way about a thing when my views are clearly set in another.

f a l l i n g . i n t o . s w e e t . c e l e s t i a l . d r e a m
l i g h t . i n . s h e e r . a n d . s i m p l e . s l e e p

Signature Image

animefreak3

animefreak3

Serpentarius

Quote by EternalParadox

Quote by animefreakIf they've gone off the wrong side of things, then it's all the more important to guide them into the right direction. The work is on you

I suppose you mean all those &quot;please read the forum guidelines before posting&quot; and the &quot;here is an existing thread on this topic.&quot; I certainly think these are guiding them into the right direction, i.e. reading the rules and searching before posting.

yes, there are gray areas, which is why the moderators should still be the ones deciding what really constitutes spam and what is a legitimate discussion. Once that is determined, if you leave the consequences in the gray, I fail to see how anyone will ever learn the &quot;right direction&quot; if they see some people get away with certain things.

Indeed. It's why you're not one. I can see other ways, and I'm sorry you can't.

We begin and end in nothingness. Our darkness is confronting our ultimate nature, for nothing can come from nothing. We must sow the wind and reap the void, since the now is all we have. Together, we walk in darkness.

EternalParadox

Retired Moderator

EternalParadox

I do not quite understand what you're saying. I'm not the one what? Please also enlighten me on these "other ways." I'd like to know what these other ways are, rather than just hearing that they exist. I think it would help all of us here if you explain how you feel is the best way to improve MT.

EternalParadox

animefreak3

animefreak3

Serpentarius

Question: I'm not the one what?
Answer: A forum moderator.

i didn't say they just exist, read what I did say b/c making angry claims doesn't teach you anything. It does seem to me that you need to read what Mel said again, and this time give it some consideration in light of your current actions.

Claim: I think it would help all of us here if you explain how you feel is the best way to improve MT.
Answer: You're right. I think you should consider Mel's actions, and then do you best to emulate them.

EternalParadox

Retired Moderator

EternalParadox

To be perfectly clear to everyone on this forum, including future members who have yet to sign up, I do not want to be a forum moderator. I don't quite see where you get that idea from. My actions on the forum do not stem from a desire to be a forum moderator. They stem from a belief that there should not be numerous duplicates on the same topic or numerous threads that violate clearly defined rules. With the coming college application process, which I'm sure that even if you have not experienced it personally you all are aware of, I have a bazillion essays to write and thus such a position would even become a hindrance.

I also do not quite understand what stands out about my current actions. How are they angry? I do not recall making an angry remark. And if I have, then I apologize to whomever I made it to.

As much as I can see, Mel's actions consists of directing members to threads that already exist for current topics, posting links to threads that answer new members' questions, and pointing out forum rules. Once more I do not quite understand what is so different between what he does and what I do. Perhaps I may be a bit more redundant in what I post. The same "please read the forum rules before posting new threads" or "Please search before creating new threads." With repetition, they may seem trite. Nonetheless, I do not believe that either is angry or very much different from Mel's actions besides the redundancy. So too perhaps certain members consider what I post as "angry" or "mean." I certainly do not intend them to be that way.

Edit:
Yes shinsengumi did promote me to Elite Member status. I also want to clarify that the change in my member status do not make me feel "superious to others," to quote mel. I have done what I have done before the status change, which is basically what I do now. I apologize to anyone whom I may have inadvertently offended. I assure you all that I do not intend to offend anyone.

EternalParadox

Sakura-K

Sakura-K

::+Wingless Heart+::

So true. I agree with you on the submitting wallpapers stuff. I don't think people should submit stuff if it really isn't that good quality, I'm including myself in this position as well since my walliez are really not that good, or I might say not good at all.
And I think it's just a waste of space for the site. But that's my opinion.

Actually, I agree with you on everything. But there's just so many people...and so many of them really don't care at all if this site turns bad.
I just really agree with you on the submitting wallpapers and stuff. It's not like if I have anything against those people, but I just hate going into a category and seeing all the wallies that I really reckon shouldn't be even called walliez on there. I can even give you an example of mine... -.-'' but I guess..just like myself, we wouldn't take it down.

Another thing that you meantioned about people talking behind other people's back. Well, I really don't talk to anyone here basically...not that way, but like...I just look at their wallpapers, threads, comments and stuff and that's it. Nothing more. So I don't know what it would be like seeing other people talk behind my back nor have I ever seen something like that happen before here. I guess it's cuz I really don't spend much time here at all.

Well...that's it I guess. And wow...I'm always so impressed by you, I've always wanted to hear your comments and stuff. You seem so pro at everything.

It would be so nice if you were to become a mod. I really wish you could. You always post such important stuff on here and such good wallpapers. Anywayz, I'm going off topic. I better go now

Signature

Dirty

Dirty

too many steps ahead.

Quote by EternalParadoxTo be perfectly clear to everyone on this forum, including future
members who have yet to sign up, I do not want to be a forum moderator.
I don't quite see where you get that idea from. My actions on the forum
do not stem from a desire to be a forum moderator. They stem from a
belief that there should not be numerous duplicates on the same topic
or numerous threads that violate clearly defined rules.

This quote kind of suits your nick. Most of your presence I've come across in my short stay seems to be decisive moderation, so regardless your belief and desire is forum moderation.

I have to agree with animefreak3 that running a communist system as you are suggesting will be too harsh. A forum is made by the community with pervasive elements of respect, effective communication, acceptance, understanding and not by the people at the top dictating it with more policy. From what I've read you appear to adhere to a top down approach whereas animefreak3 advocates a bottom up approach. Let me reiterate a top down approach does not make a community.

Simply pasting read the forum rules indicates that people break rules out of ignorance, which is a fair assumption. But not everyone is ignorant, others simply don't care, should they? Well yes they should but rules which are driven on the removal or rights is only motivating them by fear/security rather than understanding why they shouldn't.

That said some basic rules need to be applied since anarchy is not acceptable. Reading the forum guidelines, there doesn't appear to be any real consequences to the rules.

http://forum.minitokyo.net/showthread/21168/
http://support.minitokyo.net/faq/5/

How can you enforce punishments when they aren't stated, rather unfair?

Quote by EternalParadox
As much as I can see, Mel's actions consists of directing members to
threads that already exist for current topics, posting links to threads
that answer new members' questions, and pointing out forum rules. Once
more I do not quite understand what is so different between what he
does and what I do. Perhaps I may be a bit more redundant in what I
post. The same "please read the forum rules before posting new threads"
or "Please search before creating new threads." With repetition, they
may seem trite. Nonetheless, I do not believe that either is angry or
very much different from Mel's actions besides the redundancy. So too
perhaps certain members consider what I post as "angry" or "mean." I
certainly do not intend them to be that way.

I'll share what I can see, the difference is the forum persona projected from both of you. I don't know either of you or claim to know either of you. However yes both of you have dictated forum policy but unlike the other person you've focused on clamping down on threads rather than participating or contributing. I may be wrong here but anyone can click on your forum posts in your profile. By not contributing to threads and instead applying the clamp really is a moderator at heart is it not? I agree there are alot threads that break the rules but there are no real punishments stipulated so how can punishments be fair?

For example you have closed one of my threads as you have done with countless other people.

Firstly your manner came across to me as patronising [perspective from a new member though not your intention],
Second your assumption was incorrect [you said search I did and expression =/= words],
Thirdly you didn't reply to question [i'll assume you didn't see it].
Fourthly another thread appears a few days later and it doesn't get shut down [inconsistency].

That is not what I consider helpful or fair. [p.s. no offence mate I've tried to present a civil perspective for you, a little bedside manner goes a long way]. Forum moderation, someone's gotta do the tireless job, but rules need to be clear and fair and punishments consistent so people feel they are treated fairly.

I also think that the numerous language barriers, since a majority aren't literate in English, the range of ages and cultures goes further into creating this messy melting pot. We are perhaps lucky that this diversity exists, but understanding [not tolerance] respect and acceptance are crucial reactions to embrace positive change [End preachy].

Attempting to escape the matrix...

Signature

Lenne

Lenne

Warrior Girl

Good thread mel..OK,this is what i think:
Communucation,
Submissions getting to worse
Respectfulllity among members

Signature
My latest work:Best Friends

That question I did not expect to answer. My relationship with Minitokyo started more or less 46 weeks ago. I was pretty much inactive then but I soon got in touch with its community 30 weeks later. I have only been here for quite some time yet there are a lot of changes that are visible to me at the moment.

Once again, the submissions are slowly degrading in quality. While I do not want to sound like everyone else in the thread, I still wish to express my feelings about this matter. No offense but the most popular submissions that I saw back then seem too far beyond my reach today. Mainly, this problem does not rely on wallers themselves. The community seems different as it was before. I'm thinking that this has got to do with the number of members.

The population of MT is getting bigger and bigger by the minute. As it grows, more and more of them are taking charge. Minitokyo is slowly turning into a popularity contest. Constantly, people say that friends should not tend to be biased among each other's works. I feel that it's they're decision if they want to do it or not. However, I think that if one tries to add something to his/her favorites list, please try to view other works as well. I know that some are not biased among friends because I read wallpaper comments regularly. It is true that most of them say something like this: "Oh I love your grass and moon +fav." but what do you expect from people who haven't even saw other works with the same grasses or moons or whatever a wall may contain? The main problem is not exploring Minitokyo enough. Minitokyo is like a country. Travel guides usually contain the popular tourist spots for the moment but they do not contain all of them. There is so much more to MT than the most popular submissions and those of what you know.

Now, I am reminded of a question that I asked myself days ago, "What is the purpose of MT for me?". I think that Minitokyo is a place to make friends through the means of graphic design and animation. Not repeating what I said in another thread, I would also like to add that MT is a place to have fun. I see members usually forgetting to have fun while trying to enjoy their stay here. Older, more experienced members are leaving one by one because of all the negativity. Why can't we try to have fun changing MT and making it a better place for all?

This sight I know firsthand. It is the members' lack of confidence in their works. I see steriotypical and cliche walls all over. Besides a few that I see, members are afraid to cross boundaries and start their own line of new wallpapers. I would rather see a new but unsure wall rather than a beautiful yet cliche wall. I think that many would also prefer a change.

Minitokyo lacks the constructive criticism that it needs. Otherwise, it would be the trait of open-mindedness of members. People of MT are neither blind, nor deaf, nor mute yet it certainly seems so. I would like members of Minitokyo help each other towards a common goal, making Minitokyo a better place and improving its members personalities in the process.

That was a long post. Thanks for those who bothered to read my opinion. :)

Latest wallpaper: I'm Still Waiting

I must say it's a very good and also an interesting thread. :D

Quote by cifirynLately, I find that lots of the wallpapers are very low quality. I feel sorry for the people that made those, they are probably "beginners" trying to improve... but still, I think they should wait and practice a bit before submitting something.

Well, that's true. I have to seen low qualitys wallpapers. I guess it's not so easy... I have thinked of to start making wallpapers, but I'm feeling so unsecure of that. How you do that and what's the difference of that arts, wallpapers and so on. With other words, I'm unsecure where I would put my creation. Maybe I should look after an answer on that question...

Quote by cifirynThere are also a lot of pointless threads.

Yeah, I have too seen that...

Quote by cifirynAnd is it me, or a lot of people use other languages in the forums?
I could have written this post in spanish (trust me it would have been much easier!!) but what's the point?
It's fine if it's a comment in the post, a line or so... but if you write the whole post in your languege, how many people do you think will actually understand it..?

I think that's a little strenuous, because I want to known what people are saying, when they written with another language than english. Maybe they think that's is un, or I don't known!

Quote by cifirynAn other thing that I do not like, is when people is rude.
When I first joined, there was no one mean or rude. No one treated me as a dum "noob", but now, peoples attitude seems to be a bit different. I'm not saying that suddenly MT is packed with rude people, it's just that some people seem to be less "friendly" than before.
And, one last thing... duplicate threads. I wonder if people even bother to cheak?!? It's not that hard...

That makes me sad to hear... I must been lucky, because I have just met nice people here, that respect one, which I too does to everyone...

By the way, I think that your information was very good, SilentMasamune. :D

Signature
Member of: ~Make a friend~ ~Serenity~ ~Japanese~ ~FinalFantasyFans~
I'll see you all around, people! :D

I also, feel that this thread is very special and very timely. I hope that many people will try to go to this thread.

I have ranted about all that are negative about MT, so why not a positive one?

I love Minitokyo. I feel that many also share the same feeling as me when I saw this thread. We're all concerned about MT's well being. That feeling has never changed throughout the length of my stay here in Minitokyo I thought. However, I was proven wrong. All of the controversies and problems just made our bond with MT stronger.

Latest wallpaper: I'm Still Waiting

jackie-lyn

jackie-lyn

Non-Chinese-speaking Chinese

I must confess I don't really observe the site but there is one thing I would like to mention: the use of the search engine. Often times, I saw either the same thread in the forum or the same submission in the gallery, which made me wonder if the search engine is used effectively. I'm not being rude, but it would be wise and alright to use the search engine so that there won't be duplicated threads and submissions. After all, it is mentioned in MT, isn't it? :)

Overall, I guess the site is indeed growing. Just be nice and courteous with everyone - one thing every members should take note.

Movin'...

lapuk

lapuk

spidey is gay

my biggest rant about mt is about the subs.. its getting ridiculously annoying to see no-effort-walls, or not-so-conceptualized walls and gets so many faves, and all thepraise that comes along with it..i mean, i wish mt users start being critical about their friends submissions.i for one do not say "wow, what a gorgeous wall" even though its really simple and easy to do. be realistic with the posts and comments come on..also, the submissions are so fast that if you post your wall, look back 10 mins after and it won't be in the first page of the recent submissions..i wish we can do something about that..

now with mt users.. i can not blame people for being rude, i mean not all of us are in the same "patience level". mt is a community with people coming from different backgrounds, and that in itself means that our tolerance for certain things vary greatly.so with the rudeness. i don't think we can really do anythig about that except to educate ourselves. punishment will only aggravate the situation.

Iyasis

Iyasis

:: Crystal Winter ::

I've been a member of MT for a very long time, and yes, realization of that fact has made me feel very old. And over the many months, I've seen MT change in many ways, sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse.

There was a time when I absolutely loved the forums; the topics were original and interesting and members were friendly towards each other. I'm not saying that everyone was perfect and happy-go-lucky, there were arguments but mostly they were presented in a civiled manner, not all out flaming as some of the cases currently. And those who were rude and disrepectful were dealt with. When MT was smaller, there were not as many members and those that were, were quite active. I would see the same members frequently around the forums and the galleries and the site really felt like a community ~ such nice memories. Now, I rarely go to the forums; there are many duplicate and/or pointless threads and then there are those threads filled with endless see-saw bickering and flaming. I know shinsengumi is doing a great job of cleaning up as forum moderator with the help of others, but nevertheless it's discouraging to go to a forum and see so many closed threads ~ it gives MT a bad reputation. In my eyes, the forums have really lost their sparkle.

As for the galleries, I completely agree that the the quality level has gone down. There are still many amazing submissions made, but there are equally (if not more) those that seem as if no effort was made. I know I personally don't make any submissions myself, but that doesn't mean I'm artistically/visually challenged, I can still distingiush good from bad, effort from haste. And about scans, initally the idea about submitting scans is that they would be useable for wallpapers, but there are many scans out there where it'll be nearly impossible to wall.

Suggestion

Awhile ago, I came up with an idea that might help the "new member =>faq, Noob Bible, Policy" issue. Never mentioned it since I wasn't sure if it was already implemented or suggested already (it's hard to search for a topic like that) But since I'm on a thought train, might as well let it roll on.

I think the community would benefit if we adopt the idea of TOS agreements that other registred services have such as email providers. Before someone can register, they'll be directed to the FAQ and MT Policy and afterwards they must declare that they have read, understood and agree policy (via input button) Of course, they'll be those that'll just skimmed through it and hastely agree, but if later on a situation arises and a member does something against policy guidelines, claiming that "they didn't know" would be inadmissible. Additionally, this system would bring a lot more awareness to the FAQ, MT Policy since it's introduced right when a someone registers.

Does anyone think this is a good/bad idea?

------------------
Well, those were my thoughts, thanks for reading ^^;;

alexiel01

alexiel01

<<chubby-chaser

Quote by lapuk
now with mt users.. i can not blame people for being rude, i mean not
all of us are in the same "patience level". mt is a community with
people coming from different backgrounds, and that in itself means that
our tolerance for certain things vary greatly.so with the rudeness. i
don't think we can really do anythig about that except to educate
ourselves. punishment will only aggravate the situation.

I agree with you on that one, nobody's perfect... We all don't have the same personalities here. We're all from different countries with different
stuff and all... -_-

Signature
a forum full of manga goodness The Evil Empire

lapuk

lapuk

spidey is gay

Quote by Iyasis
Suggestion
Awhile ago, I came up with an idea that might help the "new member
=&gt;faq, Noob Bible, Policy" issue. Never mentioned it since I wasn't
sure if it was already implemented or suggested already (it's hard to
search for a topic like that) But since I'm on a thought train, might
as well let it roll on.
I think the community would benefit if we adopt the idea of TOS
agreements that other registred services have such as email providers.
Before someone can register, they'll be directed to the FAQ and MT
Policy and afterwards they must declare that they have read, understood
and agree policy (via input button) Of course, they'll be those that'll
just skimmed through it and hastely agree, but if later on a situation
arises and a member does something against policy guidelines, claiming
that "they didn't know" would be inadmissible. Additionally, this
system would bring a lot more awareness to the FAQ, MT Policy since
it's introduced right when a someone registers.
Does anyone think this is a good/bad idea?

i caertainly agree with you..i guess there will be a good percentage of new users that will read it since they will be somehow shocked nd curious as to why a suppsoedly wallpaper site has an agreement policy..hopefully this will get to listening ears..i certainly hope so..

cardmage

cardmage

After you

I've been here for... hmmm... 12 weeks? I can't exactly call myself a very new member anymore, but I guess I wouldn't qualify as someone who is a veteran at MT. I hope my views would be of some value since I'm in the rather unique position of being a not-so-noob but yet not-so-old member. Firstly, I'd think that there seems to be a lot more traffic nowadays. There seems to be a lot more threads of people introducing themselves. I suppose thats because MT is becoming more popular. On itself, I must say that it IS a good thing. MT is a community where like-minded people would come to discuss things. Its heartening that MT can attract a greater crowd because if everyone can give something to MT, MT would flourish.

However, as can be seen in most of the posts above, it seems there is a dissatisfaction with the new members in MT. It is not completely unqualified since it seems that a lot of these people don't seem to read the rules and do things like making duplicates and submitting walls "that don't meet MT's standards" as mel put it. On top of that, it also seems that a lot of people are starting to get very rude. My opinion, however, is slightly different. I don't think its entirely fair to put the blame of the entirely on new members.

I'll talk about the first part first... Duplicate threads and poorly made walls. To be sure, I don't think anyone would want to make threads which are duplicates or submit walls which people would think of as substandard. Though MT does give relative anonymity to anyone who does things like these, duplicate threads and poorly made walls don't beneift the person who made or submit it either. I do agree that the Noob Bibles are there to guide people along, but I don't think its fair to be impatient with new members who aren't too familiar with things yet. I think we are seeing more duplicates and poorly made walls simply because of the fact that there are more people on MT now. If you know your maths, raw numbers don't really mean anything. We need to see it in view of the percentage of the total... A single person making reports on such things would, however, be making much more of them, giving said person the impression that there were a lot more of these than before. Besides, you wouldn't have duplicate threads right at the very beginning beause there weren't even any threads to begin with...

On the other hand, a person with a lot of choice would only pick the best ones, making people stricter in giving faves. And a person who has been at something for a long time is usually more critical with judging, which might explain why some of you think the works in the past were really good compared to how they are now... Example of this: If you were to play an online RPG and you were level 5, you'd think a level 20 is great. However, if you were level 50 and you look at a level 20, you'd probably not think much of it. I'm saying this because there seems to be a general sentiment that the new wallpapers submitted seem to be of lower quality than the older ones. Perhaps its a change of perception from people, not an actual lowering of standard.

Next thing to talk about... rude people. I will say this even if I am scolded for it. I don't think there is a extremely big shift in the attitudes of the people coming onto MT. I am saying that the old members are not any better or not any worse than the new members that are coming on now. It is just that since the numbers are so much larger than before, more people will tend to find people types they simply cannot tolerate. This results in arguments, which, I believe, are what makes people think there is a lot of rudeness now on MT.

So why do people blame the new members for it since they're not the only ones who argue? People who argue often see themselves as right. (even the new members) There won't be any argument otherwise. How would an older member on MT handle quarrels on MT? Mostly they'll see that its not worth missing out on MT just because they have disagreements with a certain someone. Furthermore, they'll have friends on MT who will support them. How would new members handle such disagreements then? Being unfamiliar with this site and not having any friends here, they'll think its a site with a lot of rude people who like to pick fights and therefore end up not coming.

Having only the views of the "older" members left, it is no wonder people think of newcomers to MT as rude... However, I would think it unwise to keep such a bias. I'll say it again. Older members aren't any better or worse than newer ones.

I think there was one more point mentioned... People getting faves just because they have a lot of friends. I'll say this, I'll never fave something I don't consider good. I would check all my friends' works because I'm being notified about them, but people can't expect to get a fave from me just because they're my friend. I check the gallery every once in a while and I fave the stuff I really like. I might miss out on some of the good ones as well since there are tonnes of them to look at, but I'll say again that just because you're a friend doesn't mean I'll give you a fave. I can't speak for everyone on this but I think people at least practice some form of judgement before making a fave, even for their friend. If you're not getting faves, perhaps its not a matter of number of friends but a matter of how good your walls actually are. See if there is anything wrong with them. The" Underappreciated Group" on MT would be a good place to be for critical comments you might want. I'm not a member of the group but I think its a pretty good place.

So... In conclusion, I'd like to say that this change many see in MT would probably be due to the huge increase in numbers MT have experienced. Though many of the older members may see a lot of "badness" coming in with this change, I hope that you'll be tolerant and guide the newer members along. Impatience with newer members and stereotyping will only lead to unhappiness which is something we do NOT want here. As for the newcomers, I hope that all of you would be considerate of the people in this community and not do anything to antagonize people here. This is an online community for people to get to know each other and a place to enjoy yourself in. Fighting goes against this. It only hurts yourself and the other person. Keep it in mind and don't do it.

Ack... sorry for such a long post... I doubt many people would bother reading this...

Life is tranquil, Death is peaceful...
Signature
Its the transition that is troublesome...

page 2 of 3 « Previous 1 2 3 Next » 66 total items

Back to Minitokyo Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.