Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Creating God - Minitokyo

This thread is closed for posting.

page 1 of 1 16 total items

Minato

Minato

...scatter the dream...

I suppose you could call this a "religious discussion thread"...feel free to post any questions or comments you have concerning various religions or beliefs.

Now for some discussion: I'm sorry if I'm being vague, but...

...if one knew beforehand that there was no afterlife, would they still act morally? Were religions and "God" created simply to uphold order, or were they created to establish a following- almost like a cult? Why does man choose to believe in a higher being?

Mizu-kun

Emotionless Baka

I think if everybody knew that there is no afterlife the crime rate would increase 3% or something like that. I mean, people that don't act morally hardly care about afterlife and I don't think that morally acting people will start thinking like, "Oh there is no afterlife! I should cheat on my wife/husband, get a gun, shoot my neighbor's stupid dog and rob a bank (or two)."

Well, religions and "God" were mostly created to explain things to people they didn't understand. Like the four seasons, earthquakes, solar eclipses and so forth.

You can't decide to believe. Either you believe or you don't. If you don't belive you can't start believing because you simply want to.

simply put, we believe to attempt to explain life. how everything started, and how it will end.

i take religion with a grain of salt, it all seems so pointless to me. the belief in a benevolent all powerful all knowing god(s). if we are created by god, and we do harm or something bad, we are punished for it by going to hell after life, in what way is that showing benevolence? when religions say that anyone having faith in any other religion goes to hell, whos to decide which is the right one?

im not saying having faith in any one religion is a bad thing, whatever, to each his own, i choose to bleieve in my own way. granted, my family does go to church a few times throughout the year, for easter and christmas, but thats with pretty much the whole extended family.

since we're on the religion topic, this is bound to pop up, so i might as well start it, what does everyone think about evolution vs. creation? i think its somewhat of a mix, we evolved, but something had to set it up, so to speak, as well as cause the universe to come to be.

k, ive types enough, my fingies are tired, lol. next!

NightDreamer

NightDreamer

Perfection is Me

Wow thats a very deep question. Umm... where to start. I believe that maybe humanity believes in a "God" for the simple reason of feeling safe and maybe to think that someone or something loves them. To believe in someone superior, that I dont know. But I think that many people have made cults to rule over others. Like some churches that give you a holy water so you can cure yourself, but only for a price. I also believe that even if a person knows there is no afterlife, it can live normally or like you said, morally. You can take my example, I don’t believe in afterlife cause I think that every soul is unique and it sleeps, but it doesn’t go to hell or heaven. To uphold order, yes I believe in that too. Cause many of the people have so much faith and others can take advantage of that, like I said before. I dont know if you get my point or know what Im saying but is something that I preserve.

Signature Image

They would choose to believe in a higher being for one reason. A false sense of security. Everyone wants to feel safe. What's the best solution for feeling safe all the time? God. People who believe in a higher being always feel like he/she is watching over them. The keyword is feel, people.

DaemonPhyreWyrm

Behold the power of cheese

I don't believe in any sort of supernatural event, and to me, that includes divine occurences (atheist, eh?). Even if everyone decided to think for themselves and stop swallowing all this religious tripe, we could get on with important things, such as curing cancer or stopping world hunger. I feel morals are nothing more than self-imposed shackles that hold people back from their desires.

I feel the creations of gods is just another variant of the ancient myths that tell how the world is how it is.

LimitlessDreams

Constantly Dreaming

I don't believe in God, or afterlife. Also, I am not religious. However, I believe that I behave morally most of the time. Just because you believe in God (or religious) does not mean you will act morally.

Well, the majority of human have always believe in God (or Gods/Goddess), and used it/he/she/they to explain things. However, with the rise of science, and people become more educated, there is a increase in Atheism.

Oh, by the way, morally is often defined depending on culture, and especially religion. For example, In some religions (especially the fanantical sects of a religion) says that killing people outside their own religion is moral (or at least acceptable).

So back to my first paragraph.. since moral is depended on culture/religion/social group, and can change over time. That means I am still moral right? o_O

Signature Image

Archer79

Nerdly Ghost

imho, this thread really parallels, and perhaps duplicates http://forum.minitokyo.net/showthread/19659/ , which has already talked about these matters to some extend, and has been active very recently.

Minato

Minato

...scatter the dream...

Actually, I set this thread up for members to ask whatever question they wanted to about religion or God, and open it for discussion; the thread you mentioned seems to deal with only whether or not God exists.

Koutetsu

Koutetsu

The power of Aiur overwhelms you

I'll sum this up in one quote that is one of my favorites....

An Atheist loves himself and his fellow man instead of a god. An Atheist accepts that heaven is something for which we should work now -- here on earth -- for all men together to enjoy. An Atheist accepts that he can get no help through prayer, but that he must find in himself the inner conviction and strength to meet life, to grapple with it, to subdue it and to enjoy it. An Atheist accepts that only in a knowledge of himself and a knowledge of his fellow man can he find the understanding that will help to a life of fulfillment." -American Atheists

After reading that quote, it only bolstered my beliefs, and made me a semi-better person.

Signature
"Shed no tears for me. My glory lives forever!"

jendeathbot

jendeathbot

death is only the begining

Quote by MinatoI suppose you could call this a "religious discussion thread"...feel
free to post any questions or comments you have concerning various
religions or beliefs. Now for some discussion: I'm sorry if I'm being
vague, but...
...if one knew beforehand that there was no afterlife, would they still
act morally? Were religions and "God" created simply to uphold order,
or were they created to establish a following- almost like a cult? Why
does man choose to believe in a higher being?

that's a very interesting point to bring up- it makes sense and sounds very plausible.. for me personally though i feel that there is really one- not because people want me to- or tell me to... because i feel it in my heart.. i choose to believe therefore because of this, and try to behave accordingly as well (although i am my own person) i still don't choose to conform according to society and what the church says- i do what feels right.

#JapaneseLover#
~Serenity~
[Hispanime] ::Christian-Fellowship::FMA fans::YNM fans::Jpop Fans::SCII fans::QuizCrazy::[Adult-Swim-Watchers]::

Quote by Minato
...if one knew beforehand that there was no afterlife, would they still act morally? Were religions and "God" created simply to uphold order, or were they created to establish a following- almost like a cult? Why does man choose to believe in a higher being?

well, I belive actually in... well nothing, and I think that there is nothing after life
but that doesn't keep me from acting acorting to my perception of right and wrong.
I think that people belive for many reasons, some cuz they need to, and some so they can be capable of living in society, I mean as what U said, act moraly.
but I also think thats because, as psicological beings, they are uncapable of accepting that there is no after life... I mean, I got me thru a hard depression to accept that fact and still being able to enjoy life, its a hard thought, and there is some people that just are unable to live with something like that, even to the point of suicide... one of my friendsdied that way...
after some nastyt things that happend to him, he stopped to belife in god, heaven and that stuff, and he simply didn't saw the point of keep on living.

people are often weaker thatn they seem... but faith can do amazing things, as keeping this people alive.it works for them.

ashley50

ashley50

Dreaming Tank Buster

creating God? sounds like you've been playing the Silent Hill series and took it seriously.
but anyway...I guess I believe in the afterlife.

What can I say?
Let's~ Volt ~IN!

DarkSavior

DarkSavior

~Death's Adversary~

I don't really believe in god as so many others has view him... An Atheist in some ways, but if god did exists? I believe he exists in us all. He is our heart, our mind, our very soul. Kind of like trinity (the father,the son and the holy ghost) but the way I view it is... within our hearts, we know when we're wrong... we feel it. God see all "remember" (and so they say...) and as would your heart would know what evil you done. Just like the voice in your head that tells you wrong and right. Maybe you are being tested. I know I'm weird and you are thinking what the hell is he smoking lol there's more to it but I don't want to scare everyone away lol Nice thread Minato by the way ^_^

I'd rather be hated for who I am rather than loved for who I pretend to be...

this is ahell of a thread....I have seen very good pts of view...butthis is what I think

My god is not hthe cristian one,not ala, nor budha, i belive in science and science tells that evrything is made of energy and matter therefor god's everything and everyone in the universe, we are all connected in some way therefor again we are god.

at the begginig gods were created to explain evrything that has no racional explanation, somebody already mentioned that so i'm not going to repeat whatever has been told...but to me relion and religiosity are two sepáreted things, religion is a bunch of ppl weaarin strange clotches prayin' and preaching mountains of crap (...hope not to offend anyone, if so well and anticipated apologize) and religiosity is about faith, hope and having a good moral behavior that in the end will make the difference in the quality of life for everyone...

SIng What You Can't Say...Forget What You Can't Play

Marissa

Retired Moderator

Marissa

Antisocial Butterfly

Quote by Archer79imho, this thread really parallels, and perhaps duplicates http://forum.minitokyo.net/showthread/19659/ , which has already talked about these matters to some extend, and has been active very recently.

Signature Image
I used to be that bitch who deleted your pictures. Now that I'm gone, nobody is gonna delete your pictures anymore. Good for you.

page 1 of 1 16 total items

Back to Love, Friends & Family | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.