Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Do computer RPGs really exist? - Minitokyo

Do computer RPGs really exist?

page 1 of 1 15 total items

I know it's normal to describe the likes of the Final Fantasy series and so forth as RPGs, but, well, they aren't. They're combat games with a story. Times at which the player is actually roleplaying are rare to nonexistant. Perhaps the closest I can think of to a real RPG on a computer are the likes of ero-games and their relatives, but even there the experience is surely far too passive to count, even though when the player is doing something, it usually actually is roleplaying.

So do computer RPGs really exist, or just computer games that we call RPGs?

Try Elderscrolls III: Morowind. and if you dont agree with that one, i think Elderscroll VI: Oblivion (due out this winter for PC) will be even closer than its predicesor.

I that the difference here is that there are two RPGs. Computer RPGs and the other RPGs where people play pen to paper or what have you. I don't really see why people would make RPGs on computers, all you really would do would be enter a chat room and well, play the game. (Basically playing pen to paper via the net).

If you're looking for a non-linear RPG in PC. i doubt....oh on second thought...i think there's one...during the DOS era....forgot if the title is Dark Land or dark whatever, but there are no mages there no magic whatsoever. I think it was set the time of dark ages in europe and there are priest that pray to a lot of saints....i think they'll be your cleric. as for mages i think it was replaced by alchemist. And if your character died of old age yer going to find another to replace him. :P hmmmm kinda like to look for it and play it again....hehe

Signature

>.<

Pirre

Pirre

I will protect

Quote by Jacobie15Try Elderscrolls III: Morowind

I totally love that game, after 2 years I still play it daily, and even now i discover new things :D
And if that isn't enough, there are thousands of free plugins for it to extend the game even more ^^
If that isn't a role playing game, i don't know what is ^^

Signature

Well Final Fantasy XI is availble for the PC. I bought it...but could never actually play it. My computer is way to slow for that. Well the Pavillion anyway. I'm on the Dell right now, but my parents won't lemmie put any computer games on this one. Eh oh well.

hereticus

Headbanger

Morrowind is THE role playing game in PC.
I've both add-ons, "Tribunal" and "Bloodmoon" and I love it.
But the best is when you play rpgs pen'n'paper. Dungeons And Dragons, Das Schwarze Auge, Shadow Run,.... That's nearly the best kind of rpg.
LARP, live role playing game is great. It's hard work, but it's absolute great.

Live fast, die young Berserkercult

Was bleibt dir noch an Idealen?
Was ist uebrig von der
Rebellion der Jugend?
Nur du selbst, und dafuer
lohnt es sich zu leben
Denn Feigheit ueberlasse denen
Die in der Idiotie der Massen
untergehen...

There is one turn based called Anacreox

Quote by hereticusMorrowind is THE role playing game in PC.
I've both add-ons, "Tribunal" and "Bloodmoon" and I love it.
But the best is when you play rpgs pen'n'paper. Dungeons And Dragons, Das Schwarze Auge, Shadow Run,.... That's nearly the best kind of rpg.
LARP, live role playing game is great. It's hard work, but it's absolute great.

Ooh, someone who knows about "human interaction" RPGs which aren't tabletops! For me, the best are by far a type of freeform that we play, with multiple sessions, and large amounts of structure and oversight. Have you heard of freeforming?

Quote by darkisrafelI that the difference here is that there are two RPGs. Computer RPGs and the other RPGs where people play pen to paper or what have you. I don't really see why people would make RPGs on computers, all you really would do would be enter a chat room and well, play the game. (Basically playing pen to paper via the net).

Actually, a lot of the reason is precisely because computer "RPGs" did try to do tabletops on computers. Unfortunately, since tabletop roleplaying evolved from wargaming, and is generally combat-focussed, and as computers do this far better than they do roleplaying, any roleplaying element the tabletops had, which isn't really much to start with, got mostly squeezed out.

But maybe I should define what I mean by "roleplaying". You see, things such as levels, character classes, quests, treasure, combat and so forth are nothing to do with roleplaying. Rather, they are merely the dominant characteristics that the first popular RPG (D&D) had, so they've got rather artificially attached to the notion. But the key element in roleplaying is that decisions are made based on the personality and reasoning ability of the character, not necessarily the most efficient means of achieving a goal.

Morrowind doesn't seem like an RPG to me, any more than something like Baldur's Gate. It's a game of fighting, quests and stuff, (which I think is still what people in this thread are thinking about), with the ability to do some limited roleplaying on the surface, due to the freedom offered. But games are still going to be dominated by "how do I achieve this objective" (such as defeating those people who are attacking me) thinking.

As I said, the closest I can think of at the moment are the likes of those ero-games which aren't blatantly objective-based, but even there it's more because they're barely games at all, so there's nothing in there to confuse the issue.

kamikazekazuo

kamikazekazuo

daaanssu

on ein which you actually role play... well i heard a rumor about at Dungeons and Dragons online... and people come together... but if you think about it... World of Warcraft is... you go into your character... putting yourself almost like that... telling your party members you're going to cast this... or attack that... d'uh

Signature Image
hanabira no you ni chiriyuku naka de
yume mitai ni kimi ni deaeta kiseki

crypthis

confusing reality

i think u should try fallout & fallout 2
i think its really good rpg
hey, it won game of the year
but the graphic sucks if compared too ff series

ffvii and ffviii exist for PC
With a good soundcard ffvii for PC is better than for the PSX.
It is a shame they didn't enhanced it more, it was very possible.

FF VIII for PC

The FF series are, first and foremost, console RPGs that were imported to the PC; therefore, I don't consider them computer RPGs.

Computer RPGs are games like the aforementioned Baldur's Gate, Morrowind, Neverwinter Nights, etc., etc. (Diablo isn't a RPG, though, no matter what people will try to tell you.)

SilentKnight

SilentKnight

Spit Fire Like Dhalsim

i think Brave Soul passes as a PC-RPG game though it IS also an h-game.

Leader of the Hip Hop And Rap Alliance: http://hiphopandrapalliance.minitokyo.net/
Signature Image

page 1 of 1 15 total items

Back to Games | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.