Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 How To Cope With Artwork Deletion - Minitokyo

How To Cope With Artwork Deletion

page 1 of 1 8 total items

Ultra-Violet

Ultra-Violet

Ultra Violence

How To Cope With Artwork Deletion - Your Essential Guide To Not Getting Bent Out of Shape!

(MODS: Please note: the following thread was opened after thoroughly searching the forum database for similar existing threads. None were located to the best of my knowledge.)

Members, Moderators and MT Administrators,
I'd like to welcome you to my first (and what I hope won't be my last) forum thread! First and foremost I hope that the MT Moderating Team don’t think it pretentious of me to have created an 'advice' thread without being in the main moderators circle. I'm certain that if I'm setting a foot wrong, the MT Quality Control system will set me straight forthwith. But, I really appreciate the members and artworks of the MT community and if I can contribute something aside from art that can put a smile on the face of our community affiliates then I'll be happy. Thus, I'd like to welcome you to a little something I call:
How To Cope With Artwork Deletion - Your Essential Guide To Not Getting Bent Out of Shape!

Thank you in advance for stopping by. Won't you pull up a muffin and make yourself comfortable? And breathe....nice and steady....that's it, relax. Feeling better?
Alright, let's talk about it now.

MT members both new and old are well aware, or soon will be, that every now and then, if you happen to submit a scan, an artwork or a wallpaper that isn't quite up to the status quo the MT Automated Quality Control System known as BotChii might send you an interesting PM in your Notifications box that mentions quite clearly that the work has been deleted for this or that reason. Likewise, it's no secret that these deletions are sometimes (more often than not) met with rather violet disagreement that may start with a few naughty words being uttered in a less than polite fashion and soon after ending with a nice BANNED next to your name. An event that is indeed quite harsh and obviously not relished by members whom have taken time and effort in contributing to the community. So what is all this business about then? Well, I'm certainly not going to reiterate what dozens of other posts have already confronted in the way of being upset or angry. Likewise to repeat advise and/or guidance that the Mods have already spoken of until they've gone blue in the face wouldn't be much use.

But, just when you're feeling beaten up and under appreciated is when a little bit of kind consideration is often just the right medicine. It may help to the swallow that jagged little pill.

Since my registration I too haven't been lucky enough to escape the hand of BotChii. Thus far, three of my submissions have gone down in flames even though MT was able to supply fans whom thought completely differently about the work. (You can read up on my Deletion Misadventures under the STATUS: X section in my User Page) The first work to get the boot, I admit, had it coming even in my most modest attempts to keep it clean. It wasn't liked. Fair enough. The second piece I believe was rather work safe. It was clean and beautiful and elegant and classy...and completely upset a mod because it didn't last for more than six hours. And the third piece (my latest submission) well, I'm not too certain what exactly went wrong with that one. I wouldn't mind asking a Mod about it, but I'm the kind of person that doesn't like to bother other people especially when they're so busy with everything else. So I may well let it slide.

However, that doesn't exactly mean I won't talk about it. Regardless, I'd like to presume that all MT Members have taken the time, as have I, to carefully read the MT Community Guidelines featured in the Support section. Like it or not, that area is fit to clear up a lot of questions or comments that members may have. And yet, to say that absolutely everything you could possibly think of is covered isn't exactly a very accurate statement either. Herein is where I feel the most discrepancies arise.

MT Community Members are expected to have some degree of experience within the digital graphic design field. You can be any age and have any taste so long as it reflects something that the MT community can deem cohesive of their most promoted genre. (That being anime in all shapes and forms. With exceptions, of course)
MT Community Members are expected to understand that all submitted works should be concisely within the rules and regulations therefore high quality and of decent composition. Anything under that standard is asking for immediate deletion and if not immediate, then it's certainly coming round the corner.

So where exactly do the discrepancies arise? It should be noted that MT's Community is comprised by many thousands of members and most probably run by many hundreds of moderators whom work in co-operation with head administrators to regulate and filter the submissions that are produced by members every few minutes. Likewise with so many different tastes working together what members should really keep in mind is that at the end of the day what it primarily boils down to is: what one person may think is absolutely outstanding, five-hundred and fifty others might think it absolute rubbish, and visa versa. Thus, the web of differentiation and diversity grows all the more complex. And that, my friends is the primary reason as to why so many 'unjustified' deletions come to pass.

Take for example, if you will, my last and latest submission entitled: Project Kya: Redemption Bleeds. Nice title, no? I certainly thought so. But then again, I'm me and I like things dark and bloody with a lot of violence thrown in for good measure. In art only, of course. I'm generally a mild mannered and peaceful person whom would much rather talk it through calmly than reach for the nearest object to toss at one's head. (I've good aim, mind you.) Regardless, Project Kya's original scan was found in the Unknown Ecchi section of MT's galleries. I had personally written to the member whom submitted the scan and asked for his permission to reuse and completely remodel the work into my own personal wallpaper art. The member in question gave me his written consent and thus Project Kya was born. All the proper links and accreditation was given in the description. The fans loved it! Lots of nice comments and plenty of additions into favourites galleries. And of course, considering my vast reputation and particular flair for high quality, in my eyes at least, the work was pretty much perfect. Apparently BotChii didn't quite think so. Was it the fact that I had remodelled the scan completely? Was it that I submitted the wallpaper into the wrong section? I simply don't know. Perhaps this would be a complaint suited for the: "It Was Unjustified That My Work Was Deleted" section of the forums, but that's not what this thread is about.

This thread would like to promote the fact that, (as I mentioned a moment ago) it is due to diversity in tastes that some works may well be deleted while others remain constant. I have come to understand that many members take these deletions personally. And hence here's the bit about not getting all bent out of shape over it.

Speaking with one of MT's Head Administrators had brought to my attention the fact that deletions are never to be taken personally. A slight contradiction? Perhaps. However, let it be understood that a deletion shouldn't ever be seen as a personal attack on a member. It is in good faith (and I'm certain my computer might spontaneously combust if it is otherwise) that I state that the Mods of MT do not sit and scheme as to whom they are going to torment next with their ruthless BotChii system. It is in good faith that I state that I'm certain MT Mods don't all wake up and say that on this or that particular day they feel like deleting works from members simply because they might live in Norway. Likewise, it is in good faith that I state that MT Mods don't make deletions simply because they have a personal grudge against a certain member. (God help me, I hope people don't start throwing shoes at me or something.) I would like very much to hold faith in the fact that all MT Mods are screened by head Administrators and thus if they are found to harbour characteristics that may hinder the growth of their community, the impending title of moderators would be rightly stripped from beneath their noses. And so it should be. Childish behaviour and silly mood swings have no place in an artwork community regardless of the genre and definitely shouldn't be tolerated.

But likewise, childish behaviour and silly mood swings from members isn't likely to get yourself anywhere either. Some Mods or Members might be nice about it, they might smile and nod and ignore your messages. Others might have more of a temper and give you a good sharp boot up the backside for being a nuisance. And that's not exactly a very pleasant thing to have happen. But at times it does. Members, please, be calm and courteous and before you get all bent out of shape and stamp off to click up nasty letters to the Mod Team, slamming the keys of your keyboard so hard they can hear you in the house next door - try to take a deep breath and think about it first. Is it really worth getting so terribly upset over?
Who exactly are you making these artworks for? To please other people? If you are, then in my opinion (and I know some will think this harsh) but, you're in the wrong business. A true artist will create artworks for him or herself respectively. Likewise to please themselves. And thus, appreciation and fan bases grow from there on. Fans aren't silly. They know the difference between someone who's producing something strictly to please themselves and someone who's trying to be an utter copy cat or trying to please other people. I speak for myself when I say that when I look at artworks here at MT, the difference between experience and amateurism stands out like a sore thumb. Of course I'm not suggesting that we all have to be X Generation Picassos, that would just be silly. But what I do want to stress is that if you take pride in your own work, then the key to not getting bent out of shape by what the Moderators do with regards to deleting your work, shouldn't really matter to you that much in the end.

Is it a blow to your pride, to your ego? Alright, a little bit, yes. After all, we are all human and to have someone take something that you worked on off display and sometimes give an explanation that doesn't quite fit together does lower morale a notch or two. But in the end, you also get what you pay for. Nothing for nothing really. Let's not get overly analytical however. I'm certain if you've followed me through this long then you’re eyes may already be hurting. Bear with me, I really enjoy conversation and the fact that I'm a speed typist helps the situation all the more.

And so conclusively my good friends, what it all boils down to, summarized as follows is this:
1. Deletions you feel are unjustified simply come to pass due to the diversity in personal tastes and/or the failure to comply with the preset standards of the MT Community, not the inadequacy or rebellion of MT Staff.
2. It is a general understanding that the Quality Control System of the MT Community is quite high but is still singularly dependent on members to be able to bring this community together cohesively. Without members, there is no community.
3. Members should be reminded that the artworks they submit should be made primarily to please the artist respectively and not to gain admiration or high-level ranking. Works that are felt to have been mass-produced simply for the masses are more likely to be treated with a harsh deletion than with a warm reception.
4. At the end of the day, we're all anime fans whom have come together over a subject that we all appreciate. And that is the basic foundation of well running community.

If ever you feel you need help, or are viciously angry about something that has come to pass, then don't despair, there will always be someone with a willing ear to listen. I'd like to step forward and nominate myself for this task if you think you can handle my twist on the English language. lol But seriously friends. I urge you to mull over this information and speak with me freely on your thoughts and concerns. Remember, communication is the key to the universe. And if proper suggestions can be created then, we the members, hold the power to make changes for the better come to pass. I'm not saying with storm up to MT Staff with katanas in hand and outfits like members of the Crazy 88s (had to drop a Kill Bill reference in there somewhere, it was killing me!) But, calm and rational conversation always helps matters.

I'd like to invite all members and moderators whom have stopped by the read this message, to kindly join me in conversation. I'm eagerly awaiting your feedback.
Yours truly,
Fellow MT Member,
Noir Artist To The Nines,
UV

crys

crys

- anime addict -

Great way to say this, you go girl!

Two threads that would go well with this probably are: My wallpapers were deleted! ;_; and What to do when botChii tells you something

Hopefully this thread is eventually pinned. You gave really great advice.

- One word frees us of all the weight and pain in life. That word is love. -
Signature Image

zephiris26

zephiris26

Vector Addict [TM]

My opinion, summed up, is that people should accept the fact that they need work and stop being princesses about recieving criticism and having their stuff deleted. If you get furious over something that happens over the internet, you have a problem. ;)

daisuki-daisuke

daisuki-daisuke

Addictive

Thanks for the tips :D I have learnt to ignore deletions of gallery items and aim to make better ones. It makes things much easier.. at first I was really angry as people actually liked my work but it aws deleted but later on I just accepted it. :). I agree with zephiris26 and I think that harsh criticism is usually very useful to improving.

unicorn2006

Retired Moderator

unicorn2006

:.ICE:.:BIN.:

Haha I bet you scared off some people with the length of your post ^^

Quote: Who exactly are you making these artworks for? To please other people? If you are, then in my opinion (and I know some will think this harsh) but, you're in the wrong business.

I think in addition to people taking BotChii greetings too personally, this is key. Most people are aware that the nature of the system can be arbitrary at times, which in turn can cause them to take things a bit more personally. It's kind of like the members who take great offense to constructive criticism (or suggestions) because they misinterpret it as an attack on their artistic abilities... okay maybe not exactly the same but hopefully you get the point:

the fact is that these things can't really be purely objective, and if a member had to go through the pain of seeing their submission get deleted, they should re-examine what they may have done wrong and try to produce something better in the future instead of furiously blaming mods for their insensitivity.

i think the mods' perspectives should also be taken into account. Just because one finds his/her own submission to be flawless does not necessarily mean that there is nothing wrong with it. I'm sure the mods have developed an eye for spotting those kinds of things and they should be given some credit.

"Faith means believing in something that will only make sense in reverse."
"When men are the most sure and arrogant they are commonly the most mistaken..."

Ultra-Violet

Ultra-Violet

Ultra Violence

I would like to thank all MT Members whom have kindly participated in this conversation thus far. I have taken the time to have thoroughly read all your comments and am appreciative of your feedback. I'd like to spend a few moments now reviewing the commentary of members in this second post of mine. :)

Crys: Thank you very much my friend! That's very kind of you to say. As I mentioned previously, this thread was started not as a place to whine about deletions but rather, as a place to stop and think about it. And if I can aid in making people feel any better along the way then I'm grateful. You're exactly right however, the two threads you mentioned are perfected suited in conjunction to my own. I have participated already in one of them myself and I strongly advise other members experiencing problems to stop by there and have a read of them also.

Zephiris: Hello there! Lovely to meet you and thank you for stopping by. Zephiris, you're obviously a very experienced member whom holds some very strong and clear views with regards to dealing with community situations. Experienced members like yourself and other's whom have kindly participated in this little conversation thus far (and I include myself in this) would readily agree with you. At times it is quite clearly a situation of get up and move on. Let us not forget how I mentioned in my initial post, that we are in a 'get nothing for nothing' free style community. It is unfortunate that some members truly feel they should be admired without reserve and favoured without restriction. This sort of molly coddling might work were it in an idealistic online environment. The reality of it says that isn't so. Thus, I respect your views. However, tact is always the primary key to dealing with people as well and sadly not everyone is cut out to dealing with the hard truth....yet.

Daisuki: Thank you for joining me here friend. I'm glad to see you've found this thread useful thus far. I agree that ignoring deletions is a great method. And likewise, if you're new to designing digital art, then continued practice to make better imagery according to your personal tastes is an advisable standing point. I can't possibly stress enough however, how important it is to design for yourself. I often get concerned when I see young talent being squandered on living up to other people's expectations. In an ideal world, that would be fine but again in hard reality, everyone will soon discover why that doesn't always work. Likewise, you mentioned harsh criticism is a useful tool when it comes to improving. I'm at a cross roads here. I can understand why you would say that but again a concern does strike. Harsh criticism from whom exactly? If someone's been doing the same thing for ten years and they've already developed their style, and they see new talent that's evolving then they may want to step in and give gentle guidance which supports the artist's original line of work. But if you're getting this 'harsh criticism' from some rookie (to put it quite bluntly) then you may as well sew your head to the carpet. It might be more productive. :D Members have to be extremely careful in differentiating the difference between decent constructive critics and what someone simply trying to push their views of what they think would personally look better according to them. Unfortunately the concept of modern criticism isn't clear to the general public and this has to be taken into account by the respective artist.

Unicorn: Hello there! And thank you for stopping by as well. Likewise, Unicorn I agree with your commentary on the matter. It gets to be a bit of a worry really when we start moving away from the general idea of simply having a great community with lots of fantastic resources and artwork, to then suddenly making this a place where everything becomes over analysed and long winded. There are great amounts of technicality that we could get into if we wanted to. What must be understood is that say what we will, at the end of the day the general statistic age of attendance here at MT is grouped between 13 - 25 if we're lucky. In other words, mostly kids with a wizz bang computer program and a passion for anime. (of course I understand that in Japan, a great deal of anime and manga is produced for the adult audience.) Subsequently there is also a difference between those who work professionally in the field of graphic design and those who do it as a hobby compared to those who are just excited about it and starting out for the first time.

On a personal note, I distribute purely original digital art works professionally. I make an income off it and have been for many, many years now. My reason for joining the MT Community isn't to get involved in the politics (heaven forfend) but rather as an absolute non-profit side project, every now and then hobby. Purely this and nothing more. Are the artworks in my gallery the best I can do? Are they even close? Absolutely and utterly not! Of course, this is not to say the works in my gallery at present are not quality productions, they certainly are. But as well, they are nothing more but simple projects aimed at producing pure experimentalism. The fact that I've an adoration for anime simply gives me a subject to work with. This is why I personally don't give a second blink if my works have been deleted. My style is my own and I certainly don't expect anyone to like it. Those whom do, thank you!

Now, before you think I've gone off into a tangent, I want to bring this reply round to noting my original point. That considering the primary substance of our members here at MT the degree of work that is actually being produced comes from and always has come from, nothing more than very passionate fans. The Mods are nothing more than very passionate fans. And in short, everyone deserves a fair go. Bless them for the attempt. Likewise everyone's opinion deserves to be heard. And bless them also. But at the end of the day, what it really boils down to, and hopefully members will agree, is that it is best to take MT as a whole, with a grain of salt. Correct? ;)

AcesHigh521

AcesHigh521

Dance Ren, Dance!

Wow, ultra-violet, you LOVE to type dont u? My eyes still hurt from reading all that AND ur reply to every1s comments. Wow. :D

Ultra-Violet

Ultra-Violet

Ultra Violence

Well Aces, as I mentioned previously, being a speed typist does assist in getting all my thoughts down at lightening speed. When last I looked, this was a forum made for speaking, I figure, if I'm going to say something, I may as well say something decent and more than sixty-four characters long. ;)

page 1 of 1 8 total items

Back to Minitokyo Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.