Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Relena Peacecraft, why the hate? - Minitokyo

Relena Peacecraft, why the hate?

Tagged under Mobile Suit Gundam Wing

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 46 total items

I agree that Relena acted like a bitch in the first episodes of Gundam Wing, but she has changed a lot since she became involved in the war.
Is it that a lot of people are stuck with her first impression?

Ennariel

La figlia che piange

I can only assume that fangirls would rather want Heero to be gay.
Kidding. XP

~*~ "A man always wants to be a woman's first love. A woman always wants to be a man's last romance." ~*~

I just wish heero killed her :)

Quote by kreI just wish heero killed her :)

y? i dont think there is anything wrong with relena

don't worry the site will be up soon
Signature
http://junto.sytes.net

Yunsung

Yunsung

Who smokes the blunts?

that yould be too beautiful

jeez i really hate her :angry:

Laserowa korekcja wady wzroku <- moja strona na temat korekcji wzroku metoda PRK/LASEK

Pft, they're jealous of her that's why!

1. Relena accomplished more than a lot of other could without blowing things up.
2. Relena is the only thing that stands between the Heero and Duo "relationship" which, in fact, is nonexistant.
3. Relena is smarter than people give her credit for. For a fifteen year old, it's quite impressive that she can run a country, place it in one of the most dangerous situations by advocating pacifism, and make a significant impact on the mindsets of everyone.
4. For some stupid reason, people don't seem to understand that she only "stalked" Heero in the beginning of the series to try and gain some security in her life so soon after her (adoptive) father died. Nor do people understand that she admires Heero in a manner similar to how he admires her - she merely choses to act on her feelings.
5. ... etc. I can keep going but I think people get the picture.

More often than not, those that "hate" Relena are those that fail to understand her - not only her significance as character of Gundam Wing but also her, as an individual.

Relena is a very dynamic character and she changes with each new situation. She is a perfect example in an anime, showing growth and development with experience and progression. She's very strong willed, albeit idealistic. And while her ideals sometimes blind her from seeing a different perspective at times, she follows her heart through and through. I think that to be one of her most admirable traits.

~zephryn

P.S. If it isn't obvious, Relena is one of my top three favorite Gundam Wing characters. Anything stupidly mentioned about her, I WILL COUNTER! *points to avatar*

@}>- "When nothing makes sense, I'll fight believing in myself."
|| Gundam Haven || Doujinshi Support Club || Deviants || Final Fantasy X/-2 || FLIP ||

celebril

celebril

Follower of Toshiya - Basslord!

Oh, if only that had happened!!! All those wasted chances! He should have killed her in the first episode, ripped up her stupid party invitation and then killed her....

But there are sooo many good reasons to hate her: She's a crazy stalker who can't leave Heero alone; she goes on and on about total pacifism (which is totally impossible and unrealistic in the context of the series), but at one point (I forget which episode) she actually tells Heero to kill Zechs, before she 'becomes' a Peacecraft; then there's the annoying way she constantly says "Heero", everytime you see her, you just know at some point she'll end up staring longingly into the distance saying "Heero" in the most annoooooying voice ever!; she's a prissy twit who does nothing to help, ever!; and she's generally annoying and nosey with an ugly, pink limo!!!!! I haaaaate her sooo much!

Signature
	Image Without Toshiya there is nothing!
(colourbar by caged of creep graphics)
Proud member of album-critique // Gacktfans // J-Rockers // JMusic-Quiz-Lovers // Loveless-Neko // MT-UK

Quote by celebrilBut there are sooo many good reasons to hate her: She's a crazy stalker
who can't leave Heero alone;

I'm sorry but you don't provide many good or insightful arguements as to why she deserves to be hated. She's not a "crazy stalker who can't leave Heero alone." After stabilizing her life, after Mr. Darlian's death, she pretty much left him alone. It was him coming to her after that.

Quote by celebrilshe goes on and on about total pacifism (which is totally impossible and unrealistic in the context of the series), but at one point (I forget which episode) she actually tells Heero to kill Zechs, before she 'becomes' a Peacecraft;

You're right, she did tell Heero to kill Zechs before she devoted herself to the Peacecraft teachings and before she knew Zechs was her brother. Her views on pacifism was idealistic but it did have the desired effect. Relena did get her message across, which is more than I can say for others. She helped bring an end to the war. By bringing those who hoped for peace together, she showed Romafeller and everyone paying attention that people wanted to bring the fighting to an end.

Quote by celebrilthen there's the annoying way she constantly says "Heero", everytime you see her, you just know at some point she'll end up staring longingly into the distance saying "Heero" in the most annoooooying voice ever!;

She didn't say "Heero" all the time - perhaps more than absolutely necessary but I never thought that a reason to hate a person... and, btw, which voice would that be? Are you complaining about the english or japanese voice actor.

Quote by celebrilshe's a prissy twit who does nothing to help, ever!; and she's generally
annoying and nosey with an ugly, pink limo!!!!! I haaaaate her sooo much!

... and I don't suppose her advocating total pacifism was enough for you? Many characters in Wing, Heero included would possibly attribute peace to her. She showed that peace was possible even amidst all the fighting. Annoying? Well, that's your opinion. But she was not "nosey," just because she chose to act on somethings rather than leaving them be - does that mak her "nosey"? Her limo... geeze, you're just jealous that you don't have one. Kidding. It was weird but at least, she had a limo.

For anyone who can't understand her (you don't have to like her - just understand), you have no appreciation for inner strength.

|| Gundam Haven || Doujinshi Support Club || Deviants || Final Fantasy X/-2 || FLIP ||

celebril

celebril

Follower of Toshiya - Basslord!

Quote by zephryn

Quote by celebrilBut there are sooo many good reasons to hate her: She's
a crazy stalker
who can't leave Heero alone;

I'm sorry but you don't provide many good or insightful arguements as
to why she deserves to be hated. She's not a "crazy stalker who can't
leave Heero alone." After stabilizing her life, after Mr. Darlian's
death, she pretty much left him alone. It was him coming to her after
that.

Quote by celebrilshe goes on and on about total pacifism (which is
totally impossible and unrealistic in the context of the series), but
at one point (I forget which episode) she actually tells Heero to kill
Zechs, before she 'becomes' a Peacecraft;

You're right, she did tell Heero to kill Zechs before she devoted
herself to the Peacecraft teachings and before she knew Zechs was her
brother. Her views on pacifism was idealistic but it did have the
desired effect. Relena did get her message across, which is more than I
can say for others. She helped bring an end to the war. By bringing
those who hoped for peace together, she showed Romafeller and everyone
paying attention that people wanted to bring the fighting to an end.

Quote by celebrilthen there's the annoying way she constantly says
"Heero", everytime you see her, you just know at some point she'll end
up staring longingly into the distance saying "Heero" in the most
annoooooying voice ever!;

She didn't say "Heero" all the time - perhaps more than absolutely
necessary but I never thought that a reason to hate a person... and,
btw, which voice would that be? Are you complaining about the english
or japanese voice actor.

Quote by celebrilshe's a prissy twit who does
nothing to help, ever!; and she's generally
annoying and nosey with an ugly, pink limo!!!!! I haaaaate her sooo
much!

... and I don't suppose her advocating total pacifism was enough for
you? Many characters in Wing, Heero included would possibly attribute
peace to her. She showed that peace was possible even amidst all the
fighting. Annoying? Well, that's your opinion. But she was not "nosey,"
just because she chose to act on somethings rather than leaving them be
- does that mak her "nosey"? Her limo... geeze, you're just jealous
that you don't have one. Kidding. It was weird but at least, she had a
limo. For anyone who can't understand her (you don't have to like her -
just understand), you have no appreciation for inner strength.

I am perfeectly able to appreciate inner strength, however, I cannot find any in Relena. I respect that you think she is, internally, a strong character; personally I find her annoying and unnecessary.

btw my previous comments were not meant to be entirely serious...I just don't like her character - everyone has charcters in anime that they don't like XD

Signature
	Image Without Toshiya there is nothing!
(colourbar by caged of creep graphics)
Proud member of album-critique // Gacktfans // J-Rockers // JMusic-Quiz-Lovers // Loveless-Neko // MT-UK

yuki456

yuki456

"Idiots die hard..." Kouga

Hey! I'm cool w/ Relena! I've only seen Gundam Wing Endless Waltz, but i thing she's ok! *hides under a blanket*

Quote by EnnarielI can only assume that fangirls would rather want Heero to be gay.Kidding. XP

Hmmmm. Theres a suggestion! ^______^ he could end up w/ Duo! yay!

Signature
Special thanks to May for such a beautyfull signature
and for being so kind an patient w/ me!!!
Arigato!!!! ^___~

Man for a second I thought you were talking about Lina Inverse from Slayers. It was an honest mistake, but I have never seen gundam wing outside of Endless Waltz. I like gundam and slayers a lot. Both have awsome qualities lilke magic and giant robots. Lina is abit better looking than Relena, and who can forget Naga the Snake man she was hot!

I don't see any thing wrong about Relena. ?¿?

kylewasson

kylewasson

Otaku-man

I think she changed for the better and it effected the way that I thought about her. Later in the series she becomes a preety decent person and one that I actually cared for.

Visit my website here.

View Kyle's Latest Wall here (Jumping For Joy!) | Scott's Latest here (Night Magic).

Kyo26

Kyo26

Miuseiki

i tink she's cool!! ahahaha the 1st few are definately bad...but it gets better! ^^ she's my fav. gal char in GD series...^^

Signature

royaldarkness

royaldarkness

Restless Soul

never liked Relena. don't ask me why...i just don't like her style nor her attitude

hm..... Kylewasson's avatar has a pretty appropriate expression for this argument xD Well if ya ask me, it's rediculous to hate someone/something with no real reason or for a stupid reason =P I think everyone hates her becauses she's a tree hugger... um.... I mean pacifist ^^ I know that I don't watch Gundam for the peace treaty signings =P I personally hate Cagalli from Gundam Seed because she's similar to Relena..... but when Cagalli get's into a Gundam cockpit, I'm freaking cheering for her xD

Perhaps the fans of Gundam Wing don't like her because she's not a bishie? I don't want to stray from the subject but every girl I've come accross hate's Tohru Honda from Fruits Basket because she's always surrounded by hot men xD

EchoChan

EchoChan

The All Purpose Animal

I will admit that it's been many years since I've had time to sit down and watch the whole series, But I've never really found Relena all that hateful. I always thought she was incredibly naive (total pacifism and a world nation, while nice ideas, don't really work too well in the real world), though she seems to finally come to her senses in Endless Waltz (I think).

i have also gotten the impression that a lot (though not all) of anti-Relena-ism (and other anti-certain-girl-character-isms) is due to jealous fangirls who like the cute male half of the couple a little too much. Another girl I tend to see this with is Amelia from Slayers, but I am sure there are others that fit the bill. (EDIT: as mentioned before, Tohru Honda, plus I think there are some Miaka and Kagome-haters out there)

I'm not saying, however, that all anti-Relena folks are like that. Some of the earlier posts make good points, and quite frankly make me wat to try to find time to watch GW again to see if my memory of her has gotten fuzzy...

...and a respectful bow to zephryn-san for defending an all-too-often bashed character. :)

Always remember that everyone is the hero of their own story.

I dislike Relena for two main reasons:

-Her beliefs are fundamentally incompatible with my own. As a student of history, I can't accept her faith in humankind. I don't hate her for thinking in this manner, however, I'm unable to take her seriously.

-Her impact on Heero doesn't make much sense to me. Heero begins the series as a ruthless soldier who laughs upon killing his enemies. When the series ends, Heero has changed considerably, mostly due to Relena's influence. The only explanation for this drastic alteration is the love between the two. I find the whole notion of Heero and Relena falling in love absurd given the nature of their early encounters. In my opinion, character development of this sort simply reveals a certain degree of laziness. Characters should change for a reason. Using a dubious concept such as "love at first sight" to substitute for actual character development/interaction is highly insulting to those of us who appreciate quality storytelling.

Signature

@ bandowyn
I had always thought her idealist views of pacifism (especially when the war was going on) to be one of the best reasons to dislike her... but well, only when you take her beliefs out of the context of the series and into the real world. For an anime (I can't really say just Gundam Wing), it was fine, but in the real world... well, it's incredibly naive. It merely depends on which perspective you're looking though. And so... point taken.

You know, and I'm always surprised when I say this, but I never truly believed that Heero and Relena had a romantic kind of love in the duration of the series; it was more of a kinship and understanding than love. Thus, I suppose, in this point, I can only agree and disagree with you to an extent.

Certainly, on Heero's part, I would have to disagree with "love at first sight"; he didn't love her but he also didn't see her as an enemy - you never do see Heero killing innocent civilians. But she did have an impact on him... as did Marshall Noventa, the little girl with the dog (Endless Waltz), the other Gundam pilots, Zechs Marquise... etc. Relena influenced Heero's way of thinking but so did many others. The best kind of character growth, I think, is through experiences and interactions with other characters. In the beginning, Heero was overconfident and saw his mission as black and white but as time passes and he makes mistakes, he learns that not everything is as he was trained to be. But because of the severity of his training (as hinted in EW), he was unable to accept it and he was thrown into confusion - Relena was one of the few constants (along with the other pilots and his rivalry with Zechs) that he didn't entirely know how to deal with, but he did and that's what matters. It took until up to episode 30+ for him to accept her beliefs as something that while naive, is worth protecting.

What I'm trying to say is, Heero's didn't change drastically nor was it entirely Relena's influence that he did so. I won't blame it on love not only because I agree that it is insulting, but because it simply wasn't that entirely.

Well, anyway, I respect your given points, as well as the fact that you approached this in a more than intelligent manner and for that, I thank you.

never liked her from the begining... i think it's my personality... first impression means alot and if i don't like you at first.. then i won't like you forever.. (anime speaking of course ^__^)

she's acts FAKE and is feakin nosy! trying to be nice and sincere all the time...
i haven't seen gundam in a while but her stinky impression still makes me not like her...
oh and prob cuz she's aint that cute to act all nice and good.

I don't know. I think she was a little weid at first when she said to Heero to kill her. But she's an interesting character, even if I don't like her... well I don't dislike her either.

Signature
Thanks to GothicMike for making my avatar and signature.

Member of : Renegade Fighter ~ Anime Paradise ~ Death-Note

Quote by just2bwithUshe's acts FAKE and is feakin nosy! trying to be nice and sincere all the time...

I don't undestand, I don't remember a scene after episode 1 were she acts fake or tries to be nice.
As an example, when she was queen Relena, she actually wanted Heero to shoot her because of the impression it would make. It would helped to strengthen her opinion and speeded the peace process.
Heero on the other side couldn't kill her because he believed in her case.

I'm afraid that indeed a lot of people are stuck with her first impression. Her arrogant actions in the first episode only helped the audience to watch the change she made when she got involved in the war.

Quote by just2bwithUshe's acts FAKE and is feakin nosy! trying to be nice and sincere all the time...

You know, and here's what people don't get, Relena had a life before meeting Heero. She was the daughter of the Vice Foreign Minister and that required a lot of "acting". It was easy to tell that her "friends" were fake and other than being polite, she never really did interact with them as they did with her. Her reaction when Sally recognized her as the VFM's daughter should be enough to attest to the fact that she had been confined to a life that she was happier living without. Her "father" never had time for her, her friends were "fake", no one really knew her for her. It's not that she's trying to act nice and sincere, it's because she is - it was how she was raised.

Quote by just2bwithUi haven't seen gundam in a while but her stinky impression still makes me not like her...

... I guess there's really nothing for me to say since first impressions really mean that much to you... but your not having seen Gundam Wing "in a while" probably attests to your continuing hatred for an anime character. Personally, I found that a lot of people, after reviewing the series, have changed their oppinion of Relena even if a little.

Quote by just2bwithUoh and prob cuz she's aint that cute to act all nice and good.

And that's what's wrong with people... seriously, don't you have any appreciation for inner beauty?

liliveth

liliveth

liliveth & hermes

i just don't like her pink car and i just don't understand why she introduce herself when Heero already left. but most of the time i just focus on the guys

In dreams and in love there are no impossibilities. ~Jason Arnay~
Signature

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 46 total items

Back to In-depth Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.