Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Bootlegs - Minitokyo

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 26 total items

Do you think bootlegs or domestic bootleg dvds of anime are good or bad?

neither

Taurec

Taurec

BAKA^2

bad ..

since most bootleg factories are run by criminals / mafia so if you buy them you support people who also sell women or children as prostitutes / slave labourers.

- Too bad stupidity isn't painful

Airrrrrrr

domestic bootlegs good for fans, bad for companies(not that I really care).
All I know is that i'm tired of seein' dvds for 20 to 30 dollars and only have 3 or 4 episodes on it
That is so Frickin' cheap!!!!!!!!!!! :angry:

KurriKlown

KurriKlown

-wants Mr. Tadakichi-

Bad for the same reasons Taurec mentioned (although I don't know about the prostitution and slave labourers), and the disc and subtitling quality usually is very very bad.

Buy bootlegs, support the mafia.. NO!

Signature

sterfish

Some Dude

Bad. The quality normally sucks and they look worse than digisubs. Besides, why pay for stuff like that when you can download fansubs or even DVD rips?

Velg

Velg

The Jackal

I hate bootlegs. I'd rather pay the company a few more dollars than support any kind of frauds. I bought a "Japanese Import" or at least thats what the site said it was, and it turned out to be a bootleg. I don't even want it in the house anymore. The quality is absolutely terrible. The pictures are crap, the subtitles are all wrong. They call the main character by 3 different names, and use the worst excuse for english I've ever seen. I wish I had never bought it.

Signature Image

Im going to buy the japanese dvds of one piece, Im pretty sure that they will be pirates, but I wont wait for a badly dubbed/chopped version from 4kids, if and when they release uncuts with good subs, I would then buy those ALSO.
Elwood

DeviousOni

DeviousOni

[D E V i O U S]

Like many things in this world, it depends...

Bootlegs are a "good" option to go to if you're interested in a series that's really long (e.g. Ranma, Kenshin, etc.) and you don't have the cash to spend 25-30 bucks per DVD. It would then be more logical to spend something like 80-100 bucks on a bootleg edition than to spend more than twice that on domestic.

Also, bootlegs are a "good" option if you really don't care for any extras and just want the anime--you get more anime for your buck. And most bootlegs these days look pretty damn good (a local anime store sells em and screens a few for customer inquires and I've been there to see the subs and video quality look really good). Of course, there are still those out there, particularly older anime titles, that are horrible boots.

Then you have the bootleg-bootleg, the so-called "perfect collections" that are basically rips of the domestic release with their dubs and subs.

And of course, it's "bad" because the profits earned by buying these bootlegs don't go to the anime companies that were fortunate enough to license and release those series domestically. Bootlegging takes away from their revenue which translates to them being less likely to license more anime (i.e. they won't have the cash to license).

These are just a few of the pros and cons, but like I said, it really comes down to "it depends..."

i've got to agree w/ DeviousOni on this topic. it really "depends" on the anime and your income.

Sephiroth

Sephiroth

Chopper City

lol most of the time the bootlegs are region 1 rips, at the same quality as the $30 per disc dvds

not to say that bootlegging is necessarily good or anything...
however, if you really can't afford the steep prices of retail dvds but still want dvd, then i guess bootlegs are fine :/

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

im not saying i support bootlegs cause i dont, but i admit i buy quite a few. the problem how i see it is, anime dvds are total rip offs. at a minumum, 5 eps for 20 bucks sounds fair to me, but usually thats not the case. you get like 3 eps for 30 bucks. i mean as a consumer, why the hell would i buy the real anime dvd over the bootleg. for example, if i bought all of cowboy bebop on dvd it would be about 300 bucks, but if i get the bootleg which is only 3 dvds and same quality its only 30 bucks. and an added bonus is that bootlegs are region free. and i mean really, BS about you need to support the anime industry is complete bull imo, cause i know for the most part most people dl mp3s, movies, software, etc... so why not support those industries?
but then again, i know bootlegging / piracy is a crime, and i definitely dont think its right. i just tihnk the anime industry should take part of the blame, if they want more peope to buy the real thing, make it so that they actually want to.
the same thing can be said about the music industry, why buy the real cd when you cant even rip it over just dling the whole album for free? and simply saying bootlegging is "defintely not right and i would nver buy a bootleg cause it supports criminals", is flawed, cause really in the same since we are all criminals. we all dl fansubs, movies, mp3s, and would rather dl photoshop and windows then buying them each for several hundred bucks "cause we feel its not worth the price"

Taurec

Taurec

BAKA^2

So what some of you basicly say is: if i can't afford it anyway it's okay to "steal" it.

- Too bad stupidity isn't painful

Airrrrrrr

Quote by TaurecSo what some of you basicly say is: if i can't afford it anyway it's okay to "steal" it.

thats not what i said, im just throwing questions out there to make one think about it. bootlegs of course arent morally right, your correct it is like "stealing". but buying the bootleg over the real thing is the smart thing to do in a since cause it works for your own best interest. just like:
i would rather dl an mp3 then buy a whole album just for the one song.
i would rather dl photoshop then pay 500 bucks to get the real thing.
and i definitely dl fansubs, scanlations, and artbooks.
these are all forms of piracy meaning they fall in the same category as bootlegging and hurt their industries, but we all do it.
and also yes, i cant afford to buy many anime dvds so i choose to buy some bootlegs. is that such a crime? if the bootleg didnt exist, that doesnt mean i would have bought the real thing, since as said, i cant afford it. and as said before, do you always buy the cd, even if their is only one song you want on it? of course not, you dl the mp3 cause its not like you would have bought the cd anyways.
essentially my real point is, bootlegs and piracy are obviously wrong, but dont blame the consumers cause all we care about is "how good of a deal it is".

UndyingShadow

UndyingShadow

Snake Eater

nothing wrong with a bootleg. As long as it gives me what I want for a cheap price i'm happy. Since when do people complain about getting something exactly the same for a better price? Unless you bathe in money or dont have more resourceful things to waste it on, quit complaining about bootlegs.

Signature Image

Depends on the quality of the bootleg . If its good enough , I'll buy it . Of course , i'll still try to support the anime industry , perhaps not by buying the DVDs , but maybe the Artbooks etc .

sammo

Retired Moderator

sammo

Retired Moderator

i think bootlegs are bad. its bad for the industry that attempts to bring in some eastern entertainment influences x_x

O.K. Here is a perfect example, I just bought off ebay, for 8 dollars each 2 disks of the series Marine boy, from the mid to late sixties, IF these had beed avalible in a better format, I would have bought them in a better format, but this is what I can get, not what I can afford, but what I can get.
Elwood

Magi606

The Divine

I dont think buying bootlegs is necessarily a 'good' thing, however....I generally dont buy many US released items because of either company greed(3 eps for $30), or due to some companies' choices to take certain translation liberties. Also, I hate any DVD that gets released with english dub as default...As for me...the only bootlegs I have bought have been because I wanted a series on DVD, but didnt want to wait for a US release. Money hasnt been a deciding factor. Fortunately, I generally watch things as they come out in japan, so I dont have to worry that I might be buying a crappy series...since I generally get to preview and decide if its something I'd watch again. But due to my lack of trust for most of the US companies...If I want something on DVD, I encode/burn it myself(which is like making a bootleg for myself...but I dont distribute those)

I am the Alpha and the Omega, The First and the Last, The Beginning and the End.

"Some people say I have an ego problem...but that is no way to talk to a god." ~Me

What I don't understand is why people get so upset over anime prices when they are the exact same $@#$@ price as a dvd movie. Tkae cowboy bebop, Disc 1 has 5 eps which s approx 110 min for $20 (I got it at Best Buy for 20 and most of their anime is $20) which is the exact same price as most movies. The prices aren't that bad and if you can find the box sets the prices are usually cut a little more making it even cheaper.

Quote by asurWhat I don't understand is why people get so upset over anime prices when they are the exact same $@#$@ price as a dvd movie. Tkae cowboy bebop, Disc 1 has 5 eps which s approx 110 min for $20 (I got it at Best Buy for 20 and most of their anime is $20) which is the exact same price as most movies. The prices aren't that bad and if you can find the box sets the prices are usually cut a little more making it even cheaper.

think what you want, but as i said, why waste moeny when you dont need to, ill stick with the better deal whihc is the bootleg. i dont feel like throwing money away anytime soon

DarkSith

DarkSith

Fate Testarossa Fan

It's bad. The quality is very very very very very BAD ! I'd rather pay more money to have good quality

madasian

-=MaDasiaN=-

Quote by asurWhat I don't understand is why people get so upset over anime prices when they are the exact same $@#$@ price as a dvd movie. Tkae cowboy bebop, Disc 1 has 5 eps which s approx 110 min for $20 (I got it at Best Buy for 20 and most of their anime is $20) which is the exact same price as most movies. The prices aren't that bad and if you can find the box sets the prices are usually cut a little more making it even cheaper.

True, but then again how many DVDs would it take to complete a series? quite a few. it is just a matter of having nuff money and willing to spend. if i could i would buy all my anime in their orginal DVD, but my parents would seriously kill me (so for now fansub!! yay for bit torrent).

whatever doesn't kill will only make me stronger...

BoneyCork

BoneyCork

Oshibori

As long as ADV keep thinking that 3 eps of EVA, promotional trailers for their products, a clean intro and a helluva lot of blank DVD for more than a DVD movie is good value for money, I probably will buy the occasional bootleg.

I have no problem with paying if I feel like I'm getting good value for money instead of being scammed. I wouldnt mind as much if they filled the rest of the DVD with good extras, but its very rare you get anything. Its just promotional trailers. They arent special features, thats advertising, and used to appear just as regularly on VHS. You may as well stick MdDonalds ads on.

Anime companies spread their series as thinly as possible so they can get more money.

Evangelion is 10 hours long. Yet ADV released it in 7 volumes, thats over 21 hours of DVD space, so over half of the space is being completely wasted. Not what I call good value.

Signature

Bored? Read this.
Ok now find something else to do.

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 26 total items

Back to General Anime & Manga Talk | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.