Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Computer problems.. .. .. HELP >< - Minitokyo

Computer problems.. .. .. HELP ><

page 1 of 1 20 total items

BAH HUMBUG!! I keep having problems with my computer!!!!!!! AHHH!!! So.. I'd call the HP hotline for help, but I'm in my dorm room, and phone minutes are precious.. so I hope all you smart MT techs don't mind helping me a bit.. ^^;;; ..

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!

Problem
Computer on hibernate doesn't wake up.. it stays on hibernate (with the power button colored orange) even after clicking the mouse, typing on the keyboard.. etc. etc. I press the power button, and it doesn't do anything either. In an attempt to shut the computer down, I hold the button. It stays orange. That's it. The DVD Writer light will shine a bit after a few seconds (as if it were thinking), but that's it. It stays on hibernate mode.

Right now, I have to close the power supply by closing my power strip.. ><;; .. .. and then open it again for the computer to work.

Also, most of the time, if I close my computer and attempt to turn it on again, the monitor doesn't recieve an input signal. I think this is because of the TV cable, so I unscrewed that, but it'd be nice to keep the TV cable in.. =/ .. .. yeah, and when the monitor doesn't work, I have to again disable the power supply and turn it on again in order for the computer to work. It doesn't "wake up"

=/ .. Please help >< .. .. ;_; .. it's hard especially since we use computers all the time here. I know that this issue is somewhat "minor" .. at least my computer works.. but this problem is annoying, and I just recently purchased this computer.

.. Oh, yeah.. and sometimes, it makes funny chirping noises it didn't use to make.. >_>;;;;;;

Comp Specs
HP Media Center m7100e
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (2.0GHz)
1GB MEMORY (2 DIMM)
Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP Media Center Edition
160 GB 7200 rpm Hard Drive
16X DVD +/-R/RW Drive - Double Layer
Integrated 5.1 Sound with front audio ports
128MB DDR ATI Radeon X300 SE with TV-Out

Other Things Attached to Computer
Speakers
Ext. Hard Drive (but this is off when I turn my computer on usually)
Printer (on when computer is turning on usually)
Some thingie to point the TV remote at .. o_O;; ..

Thank you soooooo much to anyone with any suggestions!!

Zero-Ultimate

Zero-Ultimate

Strike Freedom

maybe something wrong with the graphics card or the monitor

Sit upon the frozen heavens
DAI GUREN HYOURINMARU
Signature Image

Sorry, can't help... Zero is probably right. This thread is number 31337 XD

Quote by alexjohnc3Sorry, can't help... Zero is probably right. This thread is number 31337 XD

._.;;; .. .. >_>;; .. I suppose this was helpful.. .. or .. not. =.=;

Quote by Zero-Ultimatemaybe something wrong with the graphics card or the monitor

.. Bah .. >_____< .. how could I tell which one it is? .. .. ;_; I'm so sadded.

Try right-clicking your desktop. Go to screensaver->power save options or something like that.

Most likely the monitor is set to be switched off after X minutes. Disable that feature to enable the power input even when you are not using the computer for a while.

GundamZZ

Retired Moderator

GundamZZ

the invisible mod

jjust turn off hibernate mode may......tell your computer never to hibernate....therez no point if u are plugged into an outlet neways....go to control panel and power options and turn it off (stand by off).

about your monitor problem...ummm....can u explain a bit more....why is it plugged into a tv cable? >__>

Signature Image
*hugglez & kisses* <---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote by GundamZZproblem...ummm....can u explain a bit more....why is
it plugged into a tv cable? &gt;__&gt;

oh haha .. I have Windows media center.. so I can watch TV on my computer

GundamZZ

Retired Moderator

GundamZZ

the invisible mod

oh...and i suppose u have a laptop and itz connected to a monitor?

Signature Image
*hugglez & kisses* <---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I needed to turn on keyboard is allowed to boot pc.
that way their is always power on the keyboard.
And that should allow it to reboot.

ThePanda

ThePanda

Muffin Bucket

Since it's connected to the wall socket, you don't need to hibernate. Just turn the monitor off if you're concerned about power consumption. Are your keyboard and mouse USB or ps/2?
Also, try holding the power button down for a few seconds (usually 5) instead of just pressing it (if you haven't already tried).

Signature

MSGNoodle

woot

New computer huh?
Do you have a bunch of extra perhipherals attatched? If so try turning them off/unplugging before you try waking up from hibernation, one of my computers refuses to wake up from sleep/hibernation/shut-down if it has too many devices attatched.
It's really odd for a pre-built PC to have this problem. Try checking BIOS and see if the wake-up settings are enabled (wake-up on LAN/Keyboard/Mouse/USB/etc...) for custom built-PC's sometimes you have to do this to let the computer listen to the ports.
Go online and grab all the latest drivers, get a BIOS update from the HP site, everything. For a prebuilt computer, you shouldn't be having any of these problems unless you started playing around with the hardware/software in ways you really shouldn't.
As for the chirping, see where it's coming from. If it's from the monitor there's nothing you can really do except jiggle the plugs and/or tough it out. Mine does it depending on what the monitor is displaying.
Lastly, check your settings in windows, I've never used XPmedia center before, maybe it has an option on how you tell the computer to wake up from hibernate. Try holding down the power button down (if you hold it down long enough it should shut down, if not you probably got a lemon computer). Press every button possible, lol.
Since you're in a dorm, why hibernate? You're not paying for electrical bills right?
Send HP an email rather than calling.

Hope this helps in some way...

Oh poor may! =.=;;; I feel so stoopid, but I'm really not sure about your problem - sowrree! My own computer hibernates fine. The light turns green when you move the mouse. >__<;;; duibuuqii~ Hope you get it fixed soon. In the meantime I'll ask one of my family friends' son kay kay sweetee? He's a wiz at these things. X3 .__.;;;;; 'luck.

- This Free Life Crisis -

Maybe u have to contact a tecnic

Quote by mayBAH humbug!! I keep having problems with my computer!!!!!!! AHHH!!!
So.. I'd call the HP hotline for help, but I'm in my dorm room, and
phone minutes are precious.. so I hope all you smart MT techs don't
mind helping me a bit.. ^^;;; ..
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!
Problem
Computer on hibernate doesn't wake up.. it stays on hibernate (with the
power button colored orange) even after clicking the mouse, typing on
the keyboard.. etc. etc. I press the power button, and it doesn't do
anything either. In an attempt to shut the computer down, I hold the
button. It stays orange. That's it. The DVD Writer light will shine a
bit after a few seconds (as if it were thinking), but that's it. It
stays on hibernate mode.
Right now, I have to close the power supply by closing my power strip..
><;; .. .. and then open it again for the computer to work.
Also, most of the time, if I close my computer and attempt to turn it
on again, the monitor doesn't recieve an input signal. I think
this is because of the TV cable, so I unscrewed that, but it'd be nice
to keep the TV cable in.. =/ .. .. yeah, and when the monitor doesn't
work, I have to again disable the power supply and turn it on
again in order for the computer to work. It doesn't "wake up"
=/ .. Please help >< .. .. ;_; .. it's hard especially since we
use computers all the time here. I know that this issue is somewhat
"minor" .. at least my computer works.. but this problem is annoying,
and I just recently purchased this computer.
.. Oh, yeah.. and sometimes, it makes funny chirping noises it didn't
use to make.. >_>;;;;;;
Comp Specs
HP Media Center m7100e
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (2.0GHz)
1GB memory (2 DIMM)
Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP Media Center Edition
160 GB 7200 rpm Hard Drive
16X DVD +/-r/rw Drive - Double Layer
128MB DDR ATI Radeon X300 SE with TV-Out
Other Things Attached to Computer
Speakers
Ext. Hard Drive (but this is off when I turn my computer on usually)

There has been a problem with the hibernation on system running with 1GB of ram and over.:
They only have a patch for Winxp home and pro not for MCE.

But there is a fix especially for MCE!
Here you go...
Answer!
Click the link below (MCE hibernation issue fix download patch KB895678(Q895678))
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=895678

Constantly hard powering off instead of soft powering off will lead to system damage and corruption of data.

As for the chirping noises it could be anything from ram, vga or it can be anything.

Signature

its hibernating, u should wait untill the next spring.

Shoku

Shoku

Looking for past friends

Quote by mayBAH humbug!! I keep having problems with my computer!!!!!!! ahhh!!! So.. I'd call the HP hotline for help, but I'm in my dorm room, and phone minutes are precious.. so I hope all you smart MT techs don't mind helping me a bit.. ^^;;; ..
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!Problem
Computer on hibernate doesn't wake up.. it stays on hibernate (with the power button colored orange) even after clicking the mouse, typing on the keyboard.. etc. etc. I press the power button, and it doesn't do anything either. In an attempt to shut the computer down, I hold the button. It stays orange. That's it. The DVD Writer light will shine a bit after a few seconds (as if it were thinking), but that's it. It stays on hibernate mode.
Right now, I have to close the power supply by closing my power strip.. &gt;&lt;;; .. .. and then open it again for the computer to work.
Also, most of the time, if I close my computer and attempt to turn it on again, the monitor doesn't recieve an input signal. I think this is because of the TV cable, so I unscrewed that, but it'd be nice to keep the TV cable in.. =/ .. .. yeah, and when the monitor doesn't work, I have to again disable the power supply and turn it on again in order for the computer to work. It doesn't "wake up"
=/ .. Please help &gt;&lt; .. .. ;_; .. it's hard especially since we use computers all the time here. I know that this issue is somewhat "minor" .. at least my computer works.. but this problem is annoying, and I just recently purchased this computer.
.. Oh, yeah.. and sometimes, it makes funny chirping noises it didn't use to make.. &gt;_&gt;;;;;;;
Comp SpecsHP Media Center m7100eAMD Athlon 64 3200+ (2.0GHz)
1GB memory (2 DIMM)Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP Media Center Edition
160 GB 7200 rpm Hard Drive16X DVD +/-r/rw Drive - Double Layer
128MB DDR ATI Radeon X300 SE with TV-OutOther Things Attached to Computer
SpeakersExt. Hard Drive (but this is off when I turn my computer on usually)

Since I am not a computer genius myself, I can ask people who I know are good at computers if you want. They might be able to fix it.

It will be great if I can help. I will try my best then in whatever I can do to help.

P.S. Please add me to your friendslist <it has been a while since I added you>

Welcome to everyone!!!

May be your computer have some virus

Hei !!! NICE TO MEET YOU AND GOOD TO SEE YOU !!! Hope you have wonderful days everyday

Quote by GundamZZoh...and i suppose u have a laptop and itz connected to a monitor?

It's a desktop

Quote by ThePandaSince it's connected to the wall socket, you don't need to hibernate.
Just turn the monitor off if you're concerned about power consumption.
Are your keyboard and mouse USB or ps/2? Also, try holding the power
button down for a few seconds (usually 5) instead of just pressing it
(if you haven't already tried).

The keyboard and mouse are ps/2 .. I tried holding it down.. X_x;; .. ;_; nothing happens! ><

Quote by MSGNoodleGo online and grab all the latest drivers, get a BIOS update from the
HP site, everything. For a prebuilt computer, you shouldn't be having
any of these problems unless you started playing around with the
hardware/software in ways you really shouldn't.

.. ^^;; Trust me.. I'm as n00b as it comes concerning the hardware of computers.. >< .. I wouldn't do anything I don't think to mess it up X_x;; .. .. I just use it as a regular computer. Also, I checked for driver updates.. all seem to be up to date so far..

Quote by MSGNoodleAs for the chirping, see where it's coming from. If it's from the
monitor there's nothing you can really do except jiggle the plugs
and/or tough it out. Mine does it depending on what the monitor is
displaying.

.. hmm.. the chirping seems to be coming from the computer.. I think tiki223 might be right.. about the chirping coming from a memory or something.. but in that case, is there any way to fix it!? .. It didn't have that problem before =.=;

Quote by MSGNoodleLastly, check your settings in windows, I've never used XPmedia center
before, maybe it has an option on how you tell the computer to wake up
from hibernate. Try holding down the power button down (if you hold it
down long enough it should shut down, if not you probably got a lemon
computer). Press every button possible, lol.

I'm not sure if there are any settings for it.. but I will look into it!

Quote by MSGNoodleSince you're in a dorm, why hibernate? You're not paying for electrical
bills right?

True.. I've decided to do what a lot of helpful people here told me to.. I'm turning off hibernate.

Quote by MSGNoodleSend HP an email rather than calling.

.. lol.. =.=;; no idea why I didn't think of that! ><;;

Quote by tiki223There has been a problem with the hibernation on system running with 1GB of ram and over.:
They only have a patch for Winxp home and pro not for MCE.

But there is a fix especially for MCE!
Here you go...
Answer!
Click the link below (MCE hibernation issue fix download patch KB895678(Q895678))
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=895678

Constantly hard powering off instead of soft powering off will lead to system damage and corruption of data.

As for the chirping noises it could be anything from ram, vga or it can be anything.

Ahhh.. I loooove you. ;_; .. Thanks so much for looking this up for me..!!! Could you please teach me how to look up downloads and such in the future? Is it through going to Microsoft and just typing in the search? =X .. it'd be great if you could let me know.. so I don't go bothering people all the time like this ^_^;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Quote by 89757May be your computer have some virus

Like anything, it's possible, but unlikely because I have virus protection.. and I update frequently.. .. .. but it can be!! .. I'll do a virus check after posting this.

The saga "continues"
For now, I have turned off hibernate, even though tiki223 gave me an awesome patch which I have installed. I'm playing it safe for now, but plan to check to see if the patch has solved the hibernation issue in the near future.

The chirping continues =/ .. tiki223 says it might be from ram, vga.. >< .. oy.. is there any way to fix this!? @__@;; it wasn't like that before.. and I feel bad.. cuz I do homework late at night, and my roommate needs to sleep .. X______x;;; .. I suppose I'll have to work downstairs.. in the comp lab.. nooooooooo ... Q@U%#@M

Unresolved Issue..
I turned off my computer last night and turned it on today. The reason I had it on hibernation was because of this problem.. when I turn on my computer.. .. well.. the computer turns on .. but it seems like the monitor doesn't recieve an input signal .. >< .. that's why I was having it hibernate.. As I've said before, I have to force close the computer by turning off the power strip, which sucks.. cuz I know it's so bad for the computer ><;;;

Also, the reason I don't leave my computer on stand by is because of the fan.. it's not too loud, but I'm still afraid it might bother my roommate that it's on.. =.=;; (especially since it's super quiet at night.. you can hear small things like that) and she'd be too nice to say that it isn't bothering her.. ><

.. but yes.. I truly appreciate all your hard work and help, to everyone.. I'm sorry I can't sound "grateful" enough.. >< .. I feel so busy with everything revolving around.. so I can't take the time I'd like to type "thank yous" as thoroughly.. but truly, thanks so much for all your help to everyone! I appreciate it.. even if it may not have worked.. it's the idea of suggestions coming together that bring a solution, right?

But yes, I will take MSGNoodle's advice and send an e-mail as well to HP if this issue involving the blank monitor when turning on the computer isn't resolved. Thank you so much to everyone.. Have a wonderful day~

At your service ma'am! :)

To search for a answer to your PC problems just go the M$'s site and type in the exact error message you are having. If not just Google search it. Type in your OS and the problem you are having, and you'll get tons of links to fix that specific problem.

Let's use this as a example...

Problem:
I recently bought a DVD Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs for my cousin but when I play it on the computer it does not work. I've tried everything but this god damn thing just does not play!!! Please help!
My specs are: Intel P4 at 2.53Ghz or AMD Athlon XP 2400+
1024MB of ram
40GB HD
Windows xp

As you can see this person does not give too much spec info but it give
out important part of the system to help solve his PC issue.
The OS (WindowsXP). since that info is give out then it'll be more easier to
find a answer to his problem.

Let's just pretend M$'s site does not seem to have an answer.
So now we'll use Google to search for a answer to solve that issue.

We look into his specs and look at his problem.
Problem: Snow white DVD does not play,
Spec Windows xp

In Google type in: "Snow White DVD, does not play, WinXP"
and then click "serch".
Now you should see a link to his problem. Click on it and there you have
successfully solve a problem. Which also sub-links to the M$'s direct site.

Snow White DVD issue running on WinXP

BTW: Did you know that you have also help discover a major problem with hibernation running on xp systems!!! Great Job! You go girl! :)

Winxp hibernation issues

If you PC is still under warranty send it back and get a new one.
If there is a label on the back do not open up the PC or else it will void your warranty.

You should of have gotten the dual-core systems.
AMD Athlon X2 or Pentium D's

To find most of your
PC problems answers and discussions go to here
This is where most of the know hows get together to help each other out!
Look they even have a special section dedicated to Windows Media Center Edition!!!
MSFN

If you are not using the PC for a long time then turn it off. You are not running a Server, so there is not point, unless you are recording a live TV show then it something else.

Never ever work inside a PC when it's on! Always follow proper grounding procedures.
Wear a ESD strap or if you don't have one though something metal before you handle any
hardware components. Failure to properly ground yourself will lead to hardware damage and void warranty!

If you are intrested in PC basics get the A+ book (the thick edition with pictures)

Signature

somebodyelse

Retired Moderator

somebodyelse

Pacman's mouthpiece

I just gotta weigh in on this one...

I'll try the "chirping" noise first. Is it coming from your computer speakers, or from the computer case itself?

If it's coming from the computer case, turn it off, pop it open and check the inside for anything scraping against moving parts like the cooling fans. It's possible for pieces of outside junk, or loose wires, to rub against the fans (check any case fans and your videocard fan). If it's pretty dirty inside the case, try blowing it out with a can of compressed air; you can get one at electronics stores for a couple of bucks.
If it's a noise being produced by the speakers, you might have bad speakers, try different speakers (like maybe a boom box). If problem persists, check your computer for any suspicious programs running: check for viruses, check your system tray, check your background processes (hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete then Processes tab) for anything you might have downloaded recently that could be making the noise. Also if you changed any Windows noises (like for if a window pops up) double-check those too. And maybe Windows Media Center-I don't use it myself, but maybe it makes noises for prompts or something of that nature.

I'll take a stab at the monitor too.

First the obvious-make sure the signal cable from the monitor is plugged in all the way, and the monitor's getting power. Then try somebody else's monitor. If another monitor works, I'd make the company replace your monitor. If two different monitors malfunction, check the video card-make sure it's still securely plugged into the video card, check the plug on the computer side for broken pins.

Anything beyond that, I'd make the company deal with it-you paid for it, it's supposed to work. Make them hold up their end of the bargain.

Sorry for the length-BTW, nice signature pic, I like it

Signature Image
"Searchin' for my lost shaker of salt..." -Jimmy Buffett

Aoi Nishimata goodies! Check my gallery out!

page 1 of 1 20 total items

Back to Computers & Internet | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.