Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 For College Students Only! - Minitokyo

For College Students Only!

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 39 total items

Silvandragon17

Silvandragon17

The Rising Fighting Spirit

Well many of us will be starting school soon and I was wondering if any of you upperclassmen, are willing to share any basic info you wish you knew while you were a freshman. Would be much appreciated! :D

Signature Image
Society is a masked ball, where everyone hides his real character, and reveals it in hiding. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

endsoftheworld99

endsoftheworld99

Free and Unfettered

U bet! There's really nothing to be worried about, college/university first year was such a great experience!!! Just be friendly and have an open mind! Make lots of friends and have fun! Oh but work hard too! haha

Signature Image

~ I am free, unfettered, and without a care in this world which revolves around love, beauty, freedom and life ~

make friends and take as much classes as you can. it gives you breathing room studying for harder courses later on.

There's really no reason to worry, after a while you'll realize that no one really cares that you are or aren't a freshman (that is how it is, at least, at my school). I took classes with a bunch of upper-classmen and had worked with them too (as in my job on campus). This isn't highschool. You have a fresh start, don't waste it.

And try not to stress yourself out too much; that's never a good start. I remember, my first semester, I seriously just wanted to cry at one point. I suggest having a way to release your frustrations - especially if your taking difficult courses.

@}>- "When nothing makes sense, I'll fight believing in myself."
|| Gundam Haven || Doujinshi Support Club || Deviants || Final Fantasy X/-2 || FLIP ||

ShiroTheGreat

ShiroTheGreat

Future King

^It seems this info is usually what is said a lot. That means there's something to it. I should pay closer attention to this. lol.

Silvandragon17

Silvandragon17

Thanks a lot guys! I know everyone says not to worry but I can't help feeling a bit nervous.

Quote by zephryn
And try not to stress yourself out too much; that's never a good start. I remember, my first semester, I seriously just wanted to cry at one point. I suggest having a way to release your frustrations - especially if your taking difficult courses.

I don't think I'm taking any difficult courses, but I've heard people generally do really bad during their first semester. I just hope I do well. I'm taking English, Calculus, Intro to Computers, Philosophy and Urban Studies. Nothing above a 200 lvl, but I'm still a bit worried.

Signature Image
Society is a masked ball, where everyone hides his real character, and reveals it in hiding. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just take a deep breath and get your priorities straight... having a planner helped me a lot especially since I'm not a very organized person to begin with, but also because it can seem like a lot the first time around. Study groups, lab, classes, work... I think that I accidentally set up my class schedule so that I'd have two classes overlapping. Fortunately, my teachers were really nice.

Oh, and if you go to a large school (which I don't), you might want to see how long it would take you to get to your classes... and well, you don't want to get lost.. hehe ^^;

I'll add, if I can think of anything else.

@}>- "When nothing makes sense, I'll fight believing in myself."
|| Gundam Haven || Doujinshi Support Club || Deviants || Final Fantasy X/-2 || FLIP ||

Ephix

Ephix

Chibi Dark Elf

With college you get a lot more freedom, no ones telling you to do your work, you just get 0 if you don't do it. Unlike highschool you will rarely be doing actual work in the class, its pretty much all the instructor speaking. If you didnt take notes in highschool i suggest you start, it will make memorizing a whole lot easier. (personally i just write the notes and then i've remembered it enough i dont have to review till the final)

As for your classes, english in highschool was read the book and do a book report. My english courses i never read an entire novel, longest thing i ever read was 65 pages long. However if you hand in a book report you will get 0, they want an analysis of the conflicts. first year calc is easier than highschool math, doesnt get hard till 2nd year. computers i bet you will make a website and learn a little about hardware. philosophy is what i call a slacker course, but its good for raising GPA and it is quite interesting. and urban studies... dont know what that is but probably like philosophy in the real world.

Signature

"Sleep is for the weak. *yawn* DAMNIT!"

Shadu

Shadu

Lost Myself

Ha! I'm starting at college as well soon. Everyone says not to worry, but I agree, with ya, I'm a little bit tense. They suggested we take easy classes in our first quarter. I have Calculus, Biology, Chemistry, Ice Skating, and Hockey ( I was kind of late in registration and I had to have 16 credit hours ^_^) I took courses at the community college during high school senior year, but that was easy. Each class was only two days a week for about two hours and only three classes a quarter. . . Now my classes are five days a week, hour a day and two labs to add onto that that are both on the same day and three hours long each.. . . aggghhh!

Well, I wish you hope on your college experience. For what I learned at the community college, people love it when your open to new ideas, and yet your remain yourself. Never wait until the last minute to do your reading and studying. I'm a major procrastinator, but really, if you don't pace yourself, you'll kill yourself. ^_^ Once again, GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN!

You need only believe. . .

Best advice if your staying in the dorms, buy a nice pair of sandal or something if you plan on showering, foot fungus spread through some hall over at my college. ;)

Man, I made the cut off by four days! I really had to jump in and not procrastinate. I mean we or our parents are paying for this and even with grants, you don't want to waste that money on an F. I want to waste money on an A. Well I need to start looking for grants and free money around the web and home so there will be less money taken out of my families pockets. I need to go read a few chapters from each book any how so see you later. (It will all be worth it for a red Supra!)

Silvandragon17

Silvandragon17

Quote by zephrynJust take a deep breath and get your priorities straight... having a planner helped me a lot especially since I'm not a very organized person to begin with, but also because it can seem like a lot the first time around. Study groups, lab, classes, work... I think that I accidentally set up my class schedule so that I'd have two classes overlapping. Fortunately, my teachers were really nice.
Oh, and if you go to a large school (which I don't), you might want to see how long it would take you to get to your classes... and well, you don't want to get lost.. hehe ^^;
I'll add, if I can think of anything else.

Yeah zephryn, planners really do help. I'll definitely need one in college, since the professors won't be reminding us when certain assignments are due. They'll just hand us the syllabus at the beginning of the term, and we have to make sure we complete everything on our own, on time. lol And yes I hope I won't get lost! hehe

Quote by EphixWith college you get a lot more freedom, no ones telling you to do your work, you just get 0 if you don't do it. Unlike highschool you will rarely be doing actual work in the class, its pretty much all the instructor speaking. If you didnt take notes in highschool i suggest you start, it will make memorizing a whole lot easier. (personally i just write the notes and then i've remembered it enough i dont have to review till the final)
As for your classes, english in highschool was read the book and do a book report. My english courses i never read an entire novel, longest thing i ever read was 65 pages long. However if you hand in a book report you will get 0, they want an analysis of the conflicts. first year calc is easier than highschool math, doesnt get hard till 2nd year. computers i bet you will make a website and learn a little about hardware. philosophy is what i call a slacker course, but its good for raising GPA and it is quite interesting. and urban studies... dont know what that is but probably like philosophy in the real world.

I don't have a problem with the instructor speaking. In fact I like listening to lectures. I'm not much of a social person and HS was all about group work and discussions. Didn't really like that. haha Thanks for the tips Ephix. And yes don't ask why I took Urban Studies, it was included in this "Freshman Year Initiative" (FYI) program I signed up for, which allows incoming students to go to 3 basic classes with the same group of people.

Quote by ShaduHa! I'm starting at college as well soon. Everyone says not to worry, but I agree, with ya, I'm a little bit tense. They suggested we take easy classes in our first quarter. I have Calculus, Biology, Chemistry, Ice Skating, and Hockey ( I was kind of late in registration and I had to have 16 credit hours ^_^) I took courses at the community college during high school senior year, but that was easy. Each class was only two days a week for about two hours and only three classes a quarter. . . Now my classes are five days a week, hour a day and two labs to add onto that that are both on the same day and three hours long each.. . . aggghhh!
Well, I wish you hope on your college experience. For what I learned at the community college, people love it when your open to new ideas, and yet your remain yourself. Never wait until the last minute to do your reading and studying. I'm a major procrastinator, but really, if you don't pace yourself, you'll kill yourself. ^_^ Once again, GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN!

I see you're focusing on the Sciences. Pretty tough load from what I see. BEST wishes to you as well. Let's hope we will all have a fun, productive year! lol

Quote by krazyxbangzBest advice if your staying in the dorms, buy a nice pair of sandal or something if you plan on showering, foot fungus spread through some hall over at my college. ;)

Hehe, thanks for the warning. However, I will not be dorming.

Signature Image

In college no one will give you disrespect even if you are a freshmen, just stay focus on your classes and make new friends. Also if you can not handle a certain class drop it as soon as you can and don't wait until the last minute to do so. Always do your homework, even though professors nevers collects them (sometime they do, rarely) because in the final exam, almost most of the material will be on it.
Learn how to take notes, participate, write (because as you advance some reports requires
60pages or more), and most importantly have tons of fun!!!

Your are not dumb if you get classes under the 200 level, this is how most first year
college students starts off.

I had tons of fun in college during my first year and you should to!
Also my favorite part of college is when students get to grade the professor!
(Well that's here, I'm not sure if they do it over there.)

In the future if you are picking your classes, and want to know what type of professor you are getting check out this site.
http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/index.jsp

Good luck and have a successful college experience :)

Signature

fireflywishes

Retired Moderator, Linguistics

fireflywishes

Calgon, take me away~!

try and take one designated "fun" class-- underwater basket-weaving for instance... it'll help break up your schedule and give you some time to relax.

when scheduling your classes, look at the buildings/rooms where they are located. can you really get to a class all the way on the other side of campus in 5 minutes?

try and find nice places on campus to sleep (if you aren't living on campus). they'll come in handy when you have those long breaks between classes.

do NOT TAKE ANY class before 8 A.M. (if you can help it)

well, good luck!

Signature Image

Ephix

Ephix

Chibi Dark Elf

schedueling for college is awesome too, my jan-apr semester scheduel kicked ass.

Mon 11-3
Tue 12-2
Wed 11-3
Thur 12-1 (AHAHA)
Fir 11-3

That was with 5 courses in second year computer science.

Oh yea, when i went to highschool I was the kid who got picked on by the popular kids, going to college all that stopped, took a lot of stress out of my life.

Signature

Akaiken

Akaiken

Ike, Fin Funnel!

Well, you just have to be more familiar since college is a little different from high school but you'll sure work out just fine!

Signature
Unit No. - RX-93
Unit Name - Nu Gundam

daisukeniwa05

daisukeniwa05

Self-taught artist

Quote by ShaduHa! I'm starting at college as well soon. Everyone says not to worry,
but I agree, with ya, I'm a little bit tense. They suggested we take
easy classes in our first quarter. I have Calculus, Biology, Chemistry,
Ice Skating, and Hockey ( I was kind of late in registration and I had
to have 16 credit hours ^_^) I took courses at the community college
during high school senior year, but that was easy. Each class was only
two days a week for about two hours and only three classes a quarter. .
. Now my classes are five days a week, hour a day and two labs to add
onto that that are both on the same day and three hours long each.. . .
aggghhh! Well, I wish you hope on your college experience. For what I
learned at the community college, people love it when your open to new
ideas, and yet your remain yourself. Never wait until the last minute
to do your reading and studying. I'm a major procrastinator, but
really, if you don't pace yourself, you'll kill yourself. ^_^ Once
again, GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN!

just like you.. i'm also going to start classes very soon also, but in the spring. i'm leaving the US for a small visit to my extended family in another country and my cousin's wedding, before i never get a chance to go again. just like you. i can't shake the feeling of being nervouse. .. hope you be fine. and for everyone else. thanks for all the tips. it will help us a ton. ^^.

Silvandragon17

Silvandragon17

Quote by BarmMan, I made the cut off by four days! I really had to jump in and not procrastinate. I mean we or our parents are paying for this and even with grants, you don't want to waste that money on an F. I want to waste money on an A. Well I need to start looking for grants and free money around the web and home so there will be less money taken out of my families pockets. I need to go read a few chapters from each book any how so see you later. (It will all be worth it for a red Supra!)

Heh, heh, you're always so amusing Barm.
Have an enjoyable stress-free year!^_^
And don't worry, the Supra will be waiting for you.
Focus your energy on the present. :P

Quote by tiki223
Also my favorite part of college is when students get to grade the professor!
(Well that's here, I'm not sure if they do it over there.)
In the future if you are picking your classes, and want to know what type of professor you are getting check out this site.
http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/index.jsp

Yep, I think we do too, at the end of the semester.
And yes ratemyprofessors.com can come in handy! ;) Thanks for the help, and encouragement tiki!

Quote by fireflywishestry and take one designated "fun" class-- underwater basket-weaving for instance... it'll help break up your schedule and give you some time to relax.
when scheduling your classes, look at the buildings/rooms where they are located. can you really get to a class all the way on the other side of campus in 5 minutes?
try and find nice places on campus to sleep (if you aren't living on campus). they'll come in handy when you have those long breaks between classes.
do NOT TAKE ANY class before 8 A.M. (if you can help it)well, good luck!

I will definitely do that! Thanks fireflywishes. And unfortunately, I already have a 5 hour break once a week. =/ I have the worst schedulte. My math class wouldn't fit in with the rest of my schedule and I really wanted to take the course. lol

Quote by Ephixschedueling for college is awesome too, my jan-apr semester scheduel kicked ass.
Mon 11-3Tue 12-2Wed 11-3Thur 12-1 (AHAHA)Fir 11-3
That was with 5 courses in second year computer science.
Oh yea, when i went to highschool I was the kid who got picked on by the popular kids, going to college all that stopped, took a lot of stress out of my life.

Pretty nice schedule! You have the mornings to yourself.
By the by, are you a Comp Sci major? That's what I'm trying to get into as well. And hopefully game design, or animation in Gradute School.
And yeah HS wasn't that great for me either. I was a loner, rarely said anything, I guess that won't change much in College either. lol Glad you're enjoying College. :D

Quote by daisukeniwa05 just like you.. i'm also going to start classes very soon also, but in the spring. i'm leaving the US for a small visit to my extended family in another country and my cousin's wedding, before i never get a chance to go again. just like you. i can't shake the feeling of being nervouse. .. hope you be fine. and for everyone else. thanks for all the tips. it will help us a ton. ^^.

Have a great time in your country daisuke-san, and best of luck in college as well! It's ok to be nervous. It's natural, especially since we're embarking on this new "journey", so to speak. But don't worry it will be a wonderful experience. By the way, let me know how your first day goes! :D And thank you everyone for the wonderful advice! It will surely help us out a lot!^^

Signature Image

Ephix

Ephix

Chibi Dark Elf

Quote by Silvandragon17Pretty nice schedule! You have the mornings to yourself.
By the by, are you a Comp Sci major? That's what I'm trying to get into as well. And hopefully game design, or animation in Gradute School.
And yeah HS wasn't that great for me either. I was a loner, rarely said anything, I guess that won't change much in College either. lol Glad you're enjoying College.

Yea I'm comp sci major, minor will either be business or math, i dont really like either lol. I'm going for game design also, my goal since i was 12, so far so good. =P

This semester coming up is going to be fun. Networking, AI, Operating systems, OOP design and databases.

Signature

Zero37

Genosis

Well, my first year has been pretty fun. My advice... Make sure you're there because you want to be there, and get interested in what you're doing. If you can't manage being passionate and enthusiastic for what you're doing, then here's a little piece of advice I was given by one of the compsci-department professors at the start of the year: Fake it! Makes things a whooole lot easier. I'm doing a programming course now and absolutely loving it :D ...

Erm... And make sure you get enough sleep! Going to bed at 2-3am every night is NOT good for you, and yes, I speak from experience and am therefore being an absolute hypocrite by saying such things XD but it really is important. =P

DanTheGreat

DanTheGreat

Ju-Ni Ban Tai Taichou

and make sure if you slack off, you do it real early.slacking off late in the term is bad.

Signature

sailorpolaris

Sunny Jones

Remember to not sweat the small stuff and keep your self orginized and make a scedual for your self also if you have an early class and you are not a morning person get some one to call you as a second wake up call just to make sure you do not sleep thought your class. Also make sure to go home now and then since you may not notice it but a lot of times being home for only a day can relise how much you missed your famialy and how much they missed you.

Sunny Jones and The internet of doom
on Gaia online I am Sailornorthstar

jtchen85

jtchen85

Moogle

Try not to party *too* much, there is a point where it starts to hurt your grades :)

Signature

j0n0

j0n0

Increadibly Cute

Worry, i mean every single second, worry. Because every little detail matters, you screw up once you can kiss your dreams goodbye.

I hope your not a stranger to sarcasm. I just have two main points; don't get a significant other in your freshmen year, and show up for the damn classes. The significant other will use up most of your time and concentration, so try as best as you can to not get involved. If you already have a bf/gf, then don't worry about it. But remember to show up to class every signal day because it is way to easy to skip class and keep on skipping class. And then when finals come around, you would be screwed.

An eye for an eye brings justice, but it is compassion that changes a man.

Another point of view doesn't necessarily make yours more or less right.

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 39 total items

Back to School & Work | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.