Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 [tutorial- Vectoring] - Minitokyo

[tutorial- Vectoring]

page 1 of 1 20 total items

jaderabbit

jaderabbit

Cheetos Overlord

First off let me say, this is a long tutorial but i made it really REALLY easy to use for about anyone. Though i don't show shading on the finished product u can do shading if u please. Depending on the picture this process can take an hour or a really long time to do. So let's begin!!
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Making a Vector
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Step:1
Open photoshop and the image you would like to make a vector of " i recommend
using really crappy quality image... like a quick pic from a video, or something
small".
~
Step:2
Enlarge the picture!! "going to image-image size" I recommend at least 1280x960;
course you can make it as large as u like.
~~
Step:3
Make a new layer, name it vector lines ^_^ "make sure the layer is completely
empty!
~~~
Step:4
Click the pen tool make sure that you have the same setting as i do.
Like this Image 1 > http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/7167/image14yb.jpg
~~~~
Step: 5
Make sure 'Vector lines' Layer is selected and choose paths .. "it's located beside
channels, on your layer's menu.
~~~~~
Step:6
Ths paths area should be completely blank and no paths made yet. At the bottom
beside the trash can is a icon says 'create new path' when your mouse is held
above it. select it twice and make 2 paths "this is important.
Like this image 2 >> http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/3933/image23yp.jpg
~~~~~~
Step:7
Select the first path and select your brush "not pen tool yet" choose a regular
brush and set it to size '3'
~~~~~~~
Step:8
Now select your pen tool make sure the setting are still the same as in image 1.
~~~~~~~~
Step:9
Time to start. Zoom in on the image "crtl +" and pick any line on the character using
the pen tool and start tracing it
Like this image 3 >>> http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/3097/image33fj.jpg
~~~~~~~~~
Step:10
Ok since you can't go backwards using the pen tool. CLick the Path 2 and then
back to path 1. This gets rid of the little boxes from making your path and just
continue as shown. "ull run into alot of deadends like this" "always use the pen
tool on path 1, not on path 2"
Like this image 4 >>>> http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/7476/image42yk.jpg
Fully image traced image 5 >>>>> http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/5646/image53sp.jpg
~~~~~~~~~~
Step:11
Whew!! after u trace the entire image that you want to vector. Now come's the
most important part "make sure that you have the colors black and white selected"
At the bottom of the paths dockette you want to click 'stroke path with brush'
twice As shown below....
Like this image 6 >>>>>> http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/8728/image67dp.jpg
~~~~~~~~~~~
Step:12
Click path 2, the go back to ur layers pallete.
"vector lines layer should have all the black lines on it" otherwise you've done
something wrong.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Step:13
Make a new layer underneith the image layer and name it BASE. Color it a med.
blue or any pale color.
Like this image 7 >>>>>>> http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/3953/image72qr.jpg
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Step:14
Duplicate the vector lines layer "make sure it's above the original layer".
Select Vector lines layer and using the FILL Tool "bucket looing thingy" Fill in
colors.... "use the original colors if u liked them best >>> "you can choose the
original color by select the 'eye dropper' tool.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Step:15
By selecting the brush tool u can manually add colors "if the dropper colors
something u didn't want colored then "crtl-z : undo it" And manually color it. "ALSO
u can use the brush tool to fix places u missed wit the pen tool, or couldn't get to"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Step:16
Turn the little eye beside the image layer off! and see what u accomplished!
"ull see more place u missed... just color them using the eyedropper and brush
tools" Make sure too zoom in and color all the place you missed. An "duplicting the
vector line layer after it has color on it *couple of times i recommend like 8-10 to get every lil piece.* Merging and doing it again ensures a most perfect coloring.

Course u won't have to duplicate the color layer IF u maually colored.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Step:17 ~EXtra!!~ "i didn't do in my finished product"
Shading !!
Shading is done the same way as you just did your vectoring. turn the color layers off make a new layer, turn your original image back on and goback into paths area and trace the shaded ares comeback to layers area and fill it wit color.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Step:18
Finished product!!!!
Last image 8 >>>>>>>> http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/1738/image87od.jpg

From your end result, i can tell that this so called "advanced vectoring" doesnt seem that good at all. As you can see, the outlines look really jagged, especially on the inside of the vector. The outside outlines would of been fine, since to fix them, all you need to do is extract, but its a major problem when its the lines on the inside. The vector also looks pretty plain which shouldnt. Keep trying..outlines are hard to do, but i dont think this tutorial is advanced in any way

lensterknight

lensterknight

Ah, the leeching.

There is no such thing as true vectoring in Photoshop, though. Illustrator is the best bet for that kind of job, doubtlessly.

jaderabbit

jaderabbit

Cheetos Overlord

Quote: From your end result, i can tell that this so called "advanced vectoring" doesnt seem that good at all. As you can see, the outlines look really jagged, especially on the inside of the vector. The outside outlines would of been fine, since to fix them, all you need to do is extract, but its a major problem when its the lines on the inside. The vector also looks pretty plain which shouldnt. Keep trying..outlines are hard to do, but i dont think this tutorial is advanced in any way

U can use regular techniques to clean up the finished product! Using lasso and pen tool etc. Seeing All main original lines are kept on aseperate layer them fixing the inside would be easier.
I choose not too, because it took me 3 hours to write this tutorial. As for the vector beinning plain it's because i didn't added shading >.< please read the full tut.

Quote by jaderabbit

Quote: From your end result, i can tell that this so called "advanced
vectoring" doesnt seem that good at all. As you can see, the outlines
look really jagged, especially on the inside of the vector. The outside
outlines would of been fine, since to fix them, all you need to do is
extract, but its a major problem when its the lines on the inside. The
vector also looks pretty plain which shouldnt. Keep trying..outlines
are hard to do, but i dont think this tutorial is advanced in any
way

U can use regular techniques to clean up the finished product! Using
lasso and pen tool etc. Seeing All main original lines are kept on
aseperate layer them fixing the inside would be easier. I choose not
too, because it took me 3 hours to write this tutorial. As for the
vector beinning plain it's because i didn't added shading &gt;.&lt;
please read the full tut.

Obviously, i do what a normal person does. Reads before replying or posting. I did read it. I still do not see anything good, or advanced about it. Final.

axb0b

axb0b

Grand Duke of Hell

Quote by toxictea23

Quote by jaderabbit

Quote: From your end result, i can tell that this so called "advanced
vectoring" doesnt seem that good at all. As you can see, the outlines
look really jagged, especially on the inside of the vector. The outside
outlines would of been fine, since to fix them, all you need to do is
extract, but its a major problem when its the lines on the inside. The
vector also looks pretty plain which shouldnt. Keep trying..outlines
are hard to do, but i dont think this tutorial is advanced in anyway

U can use regular techniques to clean up the finished product! Using
lasso and pen tool etc. Seeing All main original lines are kept on
aseperate layer them fixing the inside would be easier. I choose not
too, because it took me 3 hours to write this tutorial. As for the
vector beinning plain it's because i didn't added shading &gt;.&lt;
please read the full tut.

Obviously, i do what a normal person does. Reads before replying or posting. I did read it. I still do not see anything good, or advanced about it. Final.

Where did jaderabbit claimed his guide to be 'advanced'? Maybe I'm dead blind but from what I've read, it's a beginner guide to vectoring. -> "...i made it really really easy to use for about anyone. Though i don't show shading...".

Signature

ax's .:: latest wall: ghostbusters & favs ::.
Member of: :{French-Tribu}:

fooblued

fooblued

British Fetishist

I use photoshop and I have had a lot of compliments on my vectors.. (not to toot my own horn, but it is possible to make nice vectors in ps).. Also Toxic, it doesn't say advanced anywhere, this tutorial addresses how to get started with the pen tool, which is the hardest part. Thank you Jadder for taking your time to do this, I'm sure many users with appreciate it.

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

vanny

Fate/Rider

Yep, fooblued's right. A lot of them are asking about how to vector but just post crappy tutorial links. This sound be named "vectoring made easy" or something.

tareren

tareren

||Teh Panda Queen||

Thanks for taking the time to make this tutorial, appreciate it ^^

Signature

pyromaniac-kitty

pyromaniac-kitty

Don't freeze...Just CHill!

Hmm...this is quite a nice tutorial because it allows the user to explore the pen tool better since a lot of people aren't aware how to use this. Eventhough, there are still other means of vectoring. Personally I use the lasso tool and stroke the paths one by one to make sure I get all the lines of the image. They can also add another layer for shading and stuf! But this would certainly allow the people here in MT to see how they can vector properly. ^_^

Signature in violation of the Signature Guidelines

pamelaho

pamelaho

*iyellowbus...

Yes!! I'm vectoring correctly XD Thanks for the tutorial. I needed to find this kind of tutorial when I was trying to vector in my early days ^^ Thanks again!!

Signature

Latest Wallpaper: Hidamari no Tami - Vector

lapuk

lapuk

spidey is gay

i never tried to vector anything, but in case i'll try it out, i'll make sure i go through this tut again..thanks jader..

awesome stuff rabbit
now i can start vectoring XD

Bisuketto

Bisuketto

"Conversational Fountain"

So this is the hidden talent called vectoring... I commend you rabbit for taking the time to explain it. Pity it has come under controversy :( but meh, I will still nominate you for the minitokyo-prize for tutorials XD. I say calculus would make the picture sharper, but we get the main idea and that is the point of this thread :D
cheers!

'I set the timers for six minutes, the same six minutes you gave me, it was the least I could do for a friend'
'If it's not broken, don't fix it'
Signature

KorganoS

KorganoS

Busy atm ^_^;;

ahaha... Jaderabbit... so you're into vectoring, too XD
nice and detailed tutorial... very handy for those new to vectoring using PS and those who wants to try another method besides AI.
Two thumbs up ;) I hope this one gets a sticky..

For HQ anime pieces of art
visit : [FRAGMENTS] - www.crash.inweb.dk

It seems quite simple O_o...Can you do that with any program or with a specific program?

Koutetsu

Koutetsu

The power of Aiur overwhelms you

This is a good beginner's guide... but I don't understand why somebody would trace over somebody else's work and recolor it. Why doesn't anybody do their own artwork that is completely original anymore? ~_~

Signature
"Shed no tears for me. My glory lives forever!"

jaderabbit

jaderabbit

Cheetos Overlord

question: can this be used for any program?
Just for photoshop
question: how come noone can do there own work anymore?
I also do my own stuff >.<

GamesTesterJan

GamesTesterJan

The Sephiroth

Thats a really a nice and thoughfull thing you did by spending 3 hours to make this tutorial, perhaps you should also post it on to http://www.pixel2life.com so others can learn also.

I will try to follow you tutorial just not right now im a little busy.Jan

You are just a puppet you have not heart, how can you feel pain!
Signature Image

jaimoto81

Jaimoto!

Thanks! Excelente Tutorial! my firts Vectors y Made it with Corel Trace, but it was Automatic! In this way you explained! I can Customize my Vectors and My Art! Thanks a Lot!

Ing. Jaimoto - Bogota Colombia
Signature

page 1 of 1 20 total items

Back to Art | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.