Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 dubbing - Minitokyo

page 1 of 1 13 total items

screenlooker

screenlooker

master chief's real face

what most people dont understand is that without the dubs, anime would have little popularity.
why do you all complain that the voices might not be good?
you should think about the producers and stuff before downloading something off the web
when you do that the artists and producers dont get the money they deserve
the official translators have to give money to the producer
it may be better in japanese, but you have to give a chance to the people who dont have a high speed connection and cant download episodes?
you can buy the dvds and then just watch it in japanese!
DONT DOWNLOAD
ITS ILLEGAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
EVERYTIME THAT YOU DO THE PRODUCERS LOSE MONEY
GO BUY THE DVD AND WATCH IT IN JAPANESE

and if they dont have it in japanese find out who published it and send them a petition to rerelease it in dvd with japanese and subtitles or something
manga is the same. if they didnt translate it most people wouldnt be able to read it. that is why they have to do that
with out the first dubs like astroboy and speed racer you wouldnt be watching anime
i agree that a lot of dubs suck, but the producers get money for it and they need the money to make more of it. but for those anime that suck dubbed, i just watch in japanese
and dont be mean about this to me, i just want my opinion to get across
i know that a lot of you are going to hate me, but you just need to know that if they didnt dub the first one, none of us would probably not know much about it
sorry for repeating myself, and just think about it

Godfrey of Ibelin: Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth, always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong. That is your oath.

The problem with dubbing is the true meaning of the story changes dramatically.
Dubbing is used because different people have different customs. Most people who have little knowledge of the Asian custom will have a difficult time knowing what the whole story is about, so therefore dubbing has to be used in order to tell the story in another way so that the others will understand it more clearly.

You're right that by downloading from the net, artists, producers, do not get paid.
But you can still get the DVDs which supports both languages.

You mentioned that if dubbing was not done in the first place, then none of us would probably know much about it.

Well in my opinion, you are half right and half wrong. The wrong part is if a person sees a good anime in it's original content, then s/he will tell it to their friend, and then the
thing will get passed on, like a ripple in a pond.

The right part is, in America no one really know how good anime really is until Disney released the dubbed version of "Spirited Away" in theaters. At first most Americans think oh it's just another cartoon, that is until they saw it. And when they did, most of they are amazed at how beautifully and stunning anime really is.

Anyway dubbing still sux, no matter how popular the anime got to because of dubbing.

Get a Anime DVD, first look at in Japanese or Japanese (with sub-titles) and then watch it in the dub version and you will see a dramatically difference.

Signature

I think that you should be talking about subtitles. Without subtitles anime wouldn't be as popular. I have a lot of friends that download anime off of the net that has been subbed and not yet released in America. For example this nameless fellow downloaded the Ah! My Godess series as it was being shown in Japan. I also think that anime would be more popular if the prices were lower. I am tired of thirty dollars for one to five episodes on a disc. I mean come on its is just not anime but movies and cds. If they lowered the cost there would be less of a market for pirated stuff, and movie ticket prices would have to drop because people will realize that it would just be easier to buy the movie when it comes out rather than spending $40 at AMC for pop corn a jug of soda and a fist full of candy. I am also really pissed off about cds all of these artists are putting out a few good tracks with these crummy songs called "10 Great things about New Jersey" and having it be ten seconds of nothing. I agree that this is pretty funny but I would just rather buy a single.

screenlooker

screenlooker

master chief's real face

just so everyone knows
i have read every chapter of naruto online and not
but i have vowed to buy every volume

i agree that a large portion of dubbing sucks, but without it most people in the us and stuff wouldnt watch anime

and you should only download it it:
A not liscenced
and B to check out a series

deep in mind that this is like music and it is ILLEGAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and they dont always change the story dramatically
a good dub will have info about the culture and things that you might not understand

and also! anime is a really bad business in america etc
most titles only make 15000 dollars so buy them so they can get better actors and preserve it better
downloading is not the right thing to do
if you made an anime, how would you feel to have your work stolen?
look at it from a different perspective first you mt people
i can see your point, it does do what you say sometimes, but i believe that downloading is not the right way to see an anime

Godfrey of Ibelin: Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth, always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong. That is your oath.

Wakarimashta

Wakarimashta

I Understand!

Quote by tiki223The problem with dubbing is the true meaning of the story changes
dramatically.
Dubbing is used because different people have different customs. Most
people who have little knowledge of the Asian custom will have a
difficult time knowing what the whole story is about, so therefore
dubbing has to be used in order to tell the story in another way so
that the others will understand it more clearly.

What you're talking about here are "edits" as opposed to actual dubbing of the material. Most of the time, if an anime was never aired on domestic television and is licensed here, chances are the dub on the DVD will still contain the cultural references.

Dubbing and editing are really two different thngs here.

Again, as far as my own opinion about dubs, what the thread-poster saying is true as far as dubs getting people into anime. It has nothing to do with people not being able to download fansubs or buying DVD's. It's simply a matter of preference an opinion.

Though I'd say most of the airhead, "elitist" anime fans that exist out there simply ignore some of the quality dubs that are being produced today - Probably because they're too caught up in their own "otaku-ness" to even care. Thus, that's the reason why they complain about dubs.

Then again, this is treading the same never-ending argument...

screenlooker

screenlooker

master chief's real face

I AM NOT saying DUBS ARE BETTER!
i am saying that the dubs are inmportant to the anime industry

music----------anime
music artists----------anime producers

the artists got mad a while ago for not getting money for their work
this could happen with the anime industry and their will be fines in the us and japan for downloading the anime and stuff
they deserve money and if you buy the dvds then the price may go down
every time you download an anime that is liscenced the original producers lose money

think about them when you download

speedfreek19

speedfreek19

Belldandy Fanboy

ya dont need high speed internet to d/l anime, just alot of patience XD (i is on dial up XD)

while it is illegal to d/l subs, nothing really has been done about it, once it officially becomes licenced, then the subs are stopped (most of the time)

The thing is, that if they werent available to d/l the some anime wouldnt be as popular as they would be, in a way, the downloading of subs helps cause it gets exposure to new series that wouldnt normally be shown outside of japan and surrounding areas, if a series is popular enough it will then get released into western countries i guess

Signature Image

*answer to what screenlooker wrote in my guest book*
The animators in Japan are getting their fare share for what they do, and if they don't release it in American and other places they are losing money because it is not available as it can be. So until a series is released in America it is not illegal to download unreleased anime. I have been buying anime for the past five years and I have been buying less and less because of those outrageous prices. I look for cheaper stuff on ebay and on amazon because I can get an entire series for thirty dollars where I would have to pay maybe five to seven times that at Best Buy. Also things get cheaper as people buy more of them because they get cheaper to produce or start to become obsolete. In my five year buying period I have only seen one or two series below $80 dollars new and a few drop in price because people don't buy them. So anime doesn't really get cheaper as more people buy it because the leasing company knows that it can sap thirty dollars a pop out of an unbathed otaku. It is true that drugs are cheaper than anime and I say that they both should be cheap but anime should be cheaper. I say down with the riaa. I wouldn't be suprised if they might be keeping prices high to make money for their burocracy (I don't know for sure about this, but people love money). I do not mean to seem cross with you. I would love to hear your response. Until then see you later master chief.

dstorres

dstorres

Gunslinger75

Quote by Wakarimashta

Quote by tiki223The problem with dubbing is the true meaning of the
story changes
dramatically.
Dubbing is used because different people have different customs. Most
people who have little knowledge of the Asian custom will have a
difficult time knowing what the whole story is about, so therefore
dubbing has to be used in order to tell the story in another way so
that the others will understand it more clearly.

What you're talking about here are "edits" as opposed to actual dubbing
of the material. Most of the time, if an anime was never aired on
domestic television and is licensed here, chances are the dub on the
DVD will still contain the cultural references. Dubbing and editing are
really two different thngs here.
Again, as far as my own opinion about dubs, what the thread-poster
saying is true as far as dubs getting people into anime. It has nothing
to do with people not being able to download fansubs or buying DVD's.
It's simply a matter of preference an opinion. Though I'd say most of
the airhead, "elitist" anime fans that exist out there simply ignore
some of the quality dubs that are being produced today - Probably
because they're too caught up in their own "otaku-ness" to even care.
Thus, that's the reason why they complain about dubs.
Then again, this is treading the same never-ending argument...

I will agree with the fact (based on my own experience years ago) that Dubs are a good way to draw in new viewers. However... I will also agree that Dubbing a series can change the original interpreations of the series. Best example... Robotech. They were 3 totally different unrelated series that were spliced together and altered completely. SDF Macross was about the power of love and the affect it could have on a culture, they totally change that in the 1st Gen of Robotech (and so on).

During the (very) early 90's when US Renditions, US Manga Corp, Animego, etc started distributing Animes there were far more Subtitled versions than Dubs. Why???

Because it was cheaper and easier to subtitle it than to hire an entire cast to redo the vocals.

As for the so called "Anime Producers", most of them are just the US branch of the same overseas company. They've already made their money overseas, they're just milking the other countries for more. If a series isn't profitable over in Japan, the likelihood of it being exported is slim (but sometimes is and does fairly well or well, all depends).

Once someone gets old enough to tell the difference (I was 16 when I first started watching subbed and learned quick) it is very hard to listen to unimpressive dubs. It all comes down to the performance by the voice actor. They have to be into the character and story. I(in my opinion, the voice actor should be required to watch the original to get a sense of how the scene should be played out.

If you listen to the dubbed & subbed scenes on Samurai X: The Movie there is a huge difference in the performance of the last fight. Fatal Fury: TMP is the same way. I hear too often the excuse: Well I like to do other things while I watch the anime... If you're not gonna give it your full attention, whats the point of watching it to begin with (there is a difference between watching and listenting to something). I've watched/listend to the subbed version of FF: TMP so much that while I can't say I"m fluent in Japanese I know what is going on in the scene.

Boths Dubs and Subs have pluses and minuses, it all comes down to preference but to say that anime wouldn't be popular without dubbing is only partly true. Anime has been in this country in one way shape or form since the 70's (Speed Racer & Battle of the Planets/G-Force). Were they dubbed yes (a very obvious fact). Will US branches continue to do this... of course. Will fans still wait for the subbed versions... yeap. It is a never ending saga.

Idril

Idril

-:In love with Darkness:-

Well I think dubbings are good for the Anime/Manga industry but it dont mean it been good for the anime/mangas authors because they not gives monney for it .... in other hand dubbing is a good way for show the animes and mangas for the rest of the world and keep it up in popularity. several anime series dont showed in sveral places.
I agree with dstorres too... it is a never ending saga...

Well i gotta say im one of those few peopel that buy anime and d/l em. but i ihave to say that i rarely watch my bought anime over d/led ones. Y caz i cant stand the translation or the dubbing of the ones that i bought. Mind you it sjust me though.

Acyx

Ork Warlord

People are of course just too dumb to appreciate the Japanese language and original dubs, so of course, they need to translate it out. Subtitles are the collector's way around this. I watch it with subtitles when I can, but due to horrid vision, I sometimes have to be picky about the dubs (if any) that I do select.

"And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy." And the Lord did grin. And the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths, and carp and anchovies, and orangutans and breakfast cereals, and fruit-bats and large chu..."

I've already made this comment in screenlookers guestbook so I hope he doesn't mind if I make it here again.

First off the producers lose no money from fansubs. The reason - They sell the anime to japanese television. They don't make DVD's and they don't dub. In short, as long as no money is made from the fansubs they don't care, If they did care then why haven't the subbing groups been prosecuted. Do some research into the subbing community.

Second the Licencing is almost purely American. They are the ones who get upset about fansubs and rightly so. If I can get a fansub why should I buy a dvd. Thats why most subbing groups stop subbing or releasing a series once its been licenced in america. They do because the American companies would sue them to H#LL and back.

Personally I can't tell you which series I've watched are English and which are Japanese, I'm so used to reading subtitles and have picked up enough of the language that I just don't remember having to read (I do appreciate that some people struggle to multitask so reading/listening/watching is a bit of a strain and can lower their appreciating of anime.)

I do know however that out of approximately 150 series that I have, about 50 have both the English and Japanese soundtracks. And of those 50 series only 4 series have actually got decent dubbing.

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

page 1 of 1 13 total items

Back to General Anime & Manga Talk | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.