Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Ask the Atheist - Minitokyo

Ask the Atheist

page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next » 189 total items

ProgramZERO

ProgramZERO

The Lost Generation

This is the "Ask the Atheist" thread. This is a thread in which you can ask an Atheist anything involving religion or you can make a comment. You can try to convert me or ask me why I am an Atheist. You can ask me anything just as long as it remains consistent with the thread topic. You can ask me questions involving science or religion. Now, I will not always be able to answer all of everyone's questions so to the Atheists that happen to visit, do feel free to answer anyone's questions.
Welcome to "Ask the Atheist".

Sleeping peacefully on the edges of No Man's Land... Not all good is rewarded, not all evil is punished.

So what acitvist groups do you belong to or participate in to achieve these lofty goals you have set for yourself?

ProgramZERO

ProgramZERO

The Lost Generation

I'm not an activist. I have not participated in any form of activism besides this thread. I can only wait until I am in the position to become an activist.

Sleeping peacefully on the edges of No Man's Land... Not all good is rewarded, not all evil is punished.

Koutetsu

Koutetsu

The power of Aiur overwhelms you

Which is the real god? I just can't decide, there are so many. That in and of itself doesn't prove itself wrong, or anything. I'd like an answer to my lifelong feat.. :(

Signature
"Shed no tears for me. My glory lives forever!"

Quote by ProgramZEROI'm not an activist. I have not participated in any form of activism besides this thread. I can only wait until I am in the position to become an activist.

Funny your signature says you have alot to do, but you say you are waiting to do it. Sounds like you want to be an atheist, but your not one yet. You say you are supposed to be working for heaven on earth, but you aren't doing anything to accomplish this. Are you sure you got this right?

SekiRyuu

airsoft addict

heres a question:

What is the purpose of religion?

Signature
	Imagehttp://chatairsoft.com/images/zoom/TIYCVS/MP5Jsig.jpg[/sigimg]

ProgramZERO

ProgramZERO

The Lost Generation

Quote by KoutetsuWhich is the real god? I just can't decide, there are so many. That in and of itself doesn't prove itself wrong, or anything. I'd like an answer to my lifelong feat.. :(

There is only one god that I KNOW exists. His name is science and he has blessed us with things like medicine and technology. He is the ultimate god.

Quote by muyojoe

Quote by ProgramZEROI'm not an activist. I have not participated in any form of activism besides this thread. I can only wait until I am in the position to become an activist.

Funny your signature says you have alot to do, but you say you are waiting to do it. Sounds like you want to be an atheist, but your not one yet. You say you are supposed to be working for heaven on earth, but you aren't doing anything to accomplish this. Are you sure you got this right?

That signature contains a quote that belongs to an activist whom fought prayer in public schools. It is not my quote.

WiseSalesman

WiseSalesman

SWITZERLAND

ProgramZERO: I'm an agnostic, so I can understand where you're coming from. My question:

I have trouble having a belief in God because there is no particular evidence that one must exist. That is why I chose agnosticism, meaning I admit that I have no idea whether God exists or not.. For the same reason, I have trouble undersatnding atheism. How can you be of a certain belief that there is, in fact, no God when there can be no evidence to disprove the existence of a deity which fits the description of a God?

Quote:

Quote:

I'm not an activist. I have not participated in any form of activism besides this thread. I can only wait until I am in the position to become an activist.

atheist
Pronunciation: 'A-thE-ist
Function: noun
: one who believes that there is no deity

Did you take your definition for atheist straight out of his signature? That's just a description of what that particular person believes that atheists aspire to do, If he believes that there is no God, he is already an atheist, he does not have to be an activist also. It's the same as in the Christian faith. Let's assume all Christian aspire to be free of sin. But you don't have to be free of sin to be a Christian, all you have to do is believe in the Christian god. It's the same with atheism.

No, I'm not from Switzerland. It's a statement on my religious beliefs. It's....well, look, it's just too much to explain here, alright?

That signature contains a quote that belongs to an activist whom fought prayer in public schools. It is not my quote.

Well I think you are being misleading then. You say you are an atheist, and you use a signature that purports to list what an atheist should do. In return to a legitimate question, asking what you are doing to attain these lofty atheist purposes, you say it is not yours. Are you serious? I had a legitimate question for you, and you have no answers.

Your missing the point, or you are only prepared to answer questions about other people and beliefs. I'm asking about your purpose, drive, and beliefs. I was also using something you advertised as the basis for my questions. Is your answer then that you are doing nothing as an atheist, or that you don't have to do anyting?

ProgramZERO

ProgramZERO

The Lost Generation

Quote by muyojoeWell I think you are being misleading then. You say you are an atheist, and you use a signature that purports to list what an atheist should do. In return to a legitimate question, asking what you are doing to attain these lofty atheist purposes, you say it is not yours. Are you serious? I had a legitimate question for you, and you have no answers.

That was a quote which does not belong to me but I happen to agree. Atheists do not bother themselves with praying or worshipping, only living their lives. They do not participate in spreading their religion, only living the only life they know of. The quote, in my opinion, pretty much describes an Atheist to me.

Quote by WiseSalesmanProgramZERO: I'm an agnostic, so I can understand where you're coming from. My question:
I have trouble having a belief in God because there is no particular evidence that one must exist. That is why I chose agnosticism, meaning I admit that I have no idea whether God exists or not.. For the same reason, I have trouble undersatnding atheism. How can you be of a certain belief that there is, in fact, no God when there can be no evidence to disprove the existence of a deity which fits the description of a God?

Quote:

Quote:

atheistPronunciation: 'A-thE-istFunction: noun
: one who believes that there is no deity
Did you take your definition for atheist straight out of his signature? That's just a description of what that particular person believes that atheists aspire to do, If he believes that there is no God, he is already an atheist, he does not have to be an activist also. It's the same as in the Christian faith. Let's assume all Christian aspire to be free of sin. But you don't have to be free of sin to be a Christian, all you have to do is believe in the Christian god. It's the same with atheism.

I don't believe in a God because gods and deities all fall in the same category as witches, spirits, elves, and fairies in which they were conjured up by man in order to explain phenomena that was not understood or they were conjured up in order to validate the common phobias of people. Evil spirits and witches were supposed to explain away diseases back when people didn't know about pathogens. Not all atheists are the same, some believe in the Big Bang, some believe in the theory of evolution. I, as an Atheist, believe that no god conjured up by man exists. I don't believe in Zeus, God, Allah, or Yahweh.

WiseSalesman

WiseSalesman

SWITZERLAND

Quote by muyojoe

Quote by ProgramZEROThat signature contains a quote that belongs to an activist
whom fought prayer in public schools. It is not my quote.

Well I think you are being misleading then. You say you are an atheist,
and you use a signature that purports to list what an atheist should
do. In return to a legitimate question, asking what you are doing to
attain these lofty atheist purposes, you say it is not yours. Are you
serious? I had a legitimate question for you, and you have no answers.

*rolls eyes* I don't think it's misleading if you actually know what an atheist is. Did you read my post?

As far as activism, what, exactly, would you like him to do at the age of 15 to start changing the world and begin creating heaven on earth? At this point, he's barely allowed to make any of his own decisions as it is. You're mostly controlled by the parents and/or the state until you're at least 18. Regardless of whether he is actually, currently working to alter the planet, atheism remains a belief system. If he doesn't believe in God, he is an atheist. Period. And if he believes everything listed in his signature (note the profuse usages of the word "should" in the signature) then it is not misleading. He's not saying "this is what I am" he is saying "this is what I strive to be". Your lack of understanding what he says does not invalidate his answer.

I hope this doesn't sound too terribly harsh, but I'm trying very hard to make you understand what's going on here.

No, I'm not from Switzerland. It's a statement on my religious beliefs. It's....well, look, it's just too much to explain here, alright?

ProgramZERO

ProgramZERO

The Lost Generation

Quote by WiseSalesman*rolls eyes* I don't think it's misleading if you actually know what an atheist is. Did you read my post?
As far as activism, what, exactly, would you like him to do at the age of 15 to start changing the world and begin creating heaven on earth? At this point, he's barely allowed to make any of his own decisions as it is. You're mostly controlled by the parents and/or the state until you're at least 18. Regardless of whether he is actually, currently working to alter the planet, atheism remains a belief system. If he doesn't believe in God, he is an atheist. Period. And if he believes everything listed in his signature (note the profuse usages of the word "should" in the signature) then it is not misleading. He's not saying "this is what I am" he is saying "this is what I strive to be". Your lack of understanding what he says does not invalidate his answer.
I hope this doesn't sound too terribly harsh, but I'm trying very hard to make you understand what's going on here.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I'm contributing to heaven on Earth by not committing crimes or hating people of a certain race or sex or sexual orientation. I am only one person. It takes the world to declare world peace. Or at least a more peaceful world.

I don't believe that either. He is too young he can't do anything, is bull. The purpose of the thread is to let him answer, because he hopes to have some answers. Saying he is too young, implies that he has nothing new say so their is no reason anyone should ask him. There are plenty of Christian, Muslim, and Jew children who are doing things to further their beliefs. I understand their are plenty of "shoulds" in his quote, and wanted to know if he in ANY way was trying to achieve them. I suppose the answer is NO! And no I didn't read your post, I was conversing with the maker of this thread. I supposed you had your own conversation with him, and was eagerly awaiting his reply. I had hoped from the beginning to learn that he was involved in something at his school or in his community. I only wanted to know what that was. Unfortunately I guess he is not. It is easy to be a naysayer, if you are doing nothing. I was actually hoping he would dispell the myth that atheists are just coping out so they don't have to do anything. Are you as an agnostic doing anything to better the world you believe there is all there is?

ProgramZERO

ProgramZERO

The Lost Generation

Quote by muyojoeI don't believe that either. He is too young he can't do anything, is bull. The purpose of the thread is to let him answer, because he hopes to have some answers. Saying he is too young, implies that he has nothing new say so their is no reason anyone should ask him. There are plenty of Christian, Muslim, and Jew children who are doing things to further their beliefs. I understand their are plenty of "shoulds" in his quote, and wanted to know if he in ANY way was trying to achieve them. I suppose the answer is NO!

I really don't seek answers to anything. As an atheist, I don't worry about where I go after death. I'm not worried about an afterlife, I'm only worried about living this life which I KNOW FOR A FACT exists. I am only one person and I don't contribute to the worlds problems by committing acts of violence, committing crimes, doing drugs. I try to live in my own heaven. And I'm too young to be an activist. I've got school and a career to plan ahead on. I have a mother with breast cancer which I have to worry about. I have my own personal problems but none of them have anything to do with religion. I, like everyone else, have problems I have to grapple with in life. As a teenager, I don't really have very many financial responsibilities or taxes to pay. All I have to worry about is homework. I don't have to worry about prayer or anything.

WiseSalesman

WiseSalesman

SWITZERLAND

Fine, you want only answers from ProgramZERO, I'll stop defending him. Didn't realize that was bothering you. This is a conversation, I thought you would be interested in all the information displayed within it, but I guess not. So I'll stay out of the talks between the two of you from now on, if that is what you wish. But now that you've asked me a question, I'll be happy to answer (although you didn't answer mine).

Quote by muyojoeAre you as an agnostic doing anything to better the world you believe there is all there is?

Well, for starters lets throw the term out there and get it defined.

ag-nos-tic
Pronunciation: ag-'näs-tik, &g-
Function: noun
Etymology: Greek agnOstos unknown, unknowable, from a- + gnOstos known, from gignOskein to know -- more at know
: a person who holds the view that any ultimate reality (as God) is unknown and prob. unknowable; broadly : one who is not committed to believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of God or a god

Basically, I don't feel that I have the intelligence to determine whether God exists or not. I recognize that possibility that he could, and I also recognize the possibility that he may not. I simply do not know. I don't subscribe to ProgramZERO's signature, particularly, although I think a lot of it sounds like a good way to live. "Loving your fellow man" for instance is something that many Christian based religions preach, but many of their congregation seem to ignore, and I see nothing wrong with having "inner conviction and strength" either.

There aren't really any tenets or definitions that explain what an agnostic should be, probably because it isn't a religion. I have some ideas what I want out of my time on earth, and I'm trying to achieve them. I'm living my own life, and I take care of my own; my friends, my family, my loved ones. I follow my code and my set of morals. When there is a problem, I try to lend a hand where I find I can be of use. No, I am not devoting my life expressly to making the world a better place. I'm mostly devoting myself to being a better person; one worthy of living IN it. I have a creed of self-improvement. Because I believe that there is a chance that this life might be all I get, I am doing my best to get the most out of it, and be the best person I can by the time it's over. I try not to get in the way of other people's path to happiness, and if there's some way in which I feel I can contribute to their lives, I try to help out. I won't put the happiness of a random stranger over that of my family. I'm not going to devote my life to changing the world. Who would I be changing it for? I'm just going to try to enjoy it.

I'm not sure if this answers your question or not. If there's still something that you feel needs to be clarified, be a little more specific and I'll do my best to accomodate you.

ProgramZERO

ProgramZERO

The Lost Generation

You make a fine ally. You may not be an Atheist but that does not concern me. I'm not gonna persecute you if you don't think like me.

What do Atheists think about self esteem? Where does it come from and what they do when they are down?

ProgramZERO

ProgramZERO

The Lost Generation

Quote by julsWhat do Atheists think about self esteem? Where does it come from and what they do when they are down?

I think that self-esteem is the amount of self worth one has. I measure my self-esteem by how much I have contributed to myself and humanity. My self-esteem would be high if I was a successful businessman or had just donated millions of dollars to charity. My self-esteem would be low if I had just committed a crime or ended up as a drug addict. When I'm down, I get myself back up by ridding myself of whatever is keeping me down.

How much emphasis is put in they way atheists talk with people? What do they think about swearing or profanity? And is it important to atheist defend themselves when verbally attacked? How important is it to reconcile after arguments?

ProgramZERO

ProgramZERO

The Lost Generation

The answers to these questions will vary from Atheist to Atheist.

Quote by julsHow much emphasis is put in they way atheists talk with people? What do they think about swearing or profanity?

In my case, I believe cursing or using profanity is proper only when both parties are accustomed or don't mind. I will not curse or use profanity when it will affect my reputation or image.

Quote by julsAnd is it important to atheist defend themselves when verbally attacked?

If I am verbally attacked or criticized, I will respond accordingly to whatever the issue may be.

Quote by julsHow important is it to reconcile after arguments?

If I have argued with a friend, I will try to reconcile. It depends on whoever the person may be. If that person is someone whom I cannot deal with or get along with ever, I will not try to force reconciliation.

Rayito16

Rayito16

green fire alchemist

i dont need to ask you questions regarding religion you are an athyeist what do you know about religion how do you know what you wil say is right if you dont believe in god exists

as for me im not an aethist but i don believe in one god i think that all gods are different representation of one god by different races and ethnicitys

¨take a good look, this the body of a sinner¨

PAche

PAche

hoarder

you love fellow man.your heart must be damn big

Signature Image
;when the taste of blood become bittersweet
My Gallery
latest wallpaper: Point-blanc

It sounds easy to be an atheist. Only worry about yourself, worry about what you do, say you have no control, and say, even if you are doing nothing, that you are doing your best.

I'm sorry, but at least religions (all that I know of) teach you to turn the other cheek and that it is your responsibility to help others (poor, misfortuned, etc...). I may not agree with all of their methods, but the message is better and sounder than yours. Good luck with your beliefs though. I really was hoping that either of you was truly trying to make your heaven better for all of us, but I guess not. Personally when your son is having heart surgery, your wife is giving birth, or you almost die yourself (some of what I've been through) you find out what you believe in. I take that to heart and won't forget it, because that would be hypocritical.

page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next » 189 total items

Back to Religion & Science | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.