Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 UMD Movies - Minitokyo

page 1 of 1 17 total items

Aa-chan

Aa-chan

AA-CHAN

Found this, but it's not what I'm after: http://forum.minitokyo.net/showthread/28688/

Anyway, I was wondering why there are such a strange selection of movies on UMD. I was expecting only the bigger movies like LotR and The Matrix trilogy to make it to UMD, but they seem to be releasing old movies like Jaws and Tron. Is there any particular reason for this, or is it just anything they can get their hands on at the moment?

Follow AA-CHAN as he teaches English in South Korea and enjoys his K-Pop music fandoms up close!

http://aa-chan.net/blog/

Well Jaws was a cool movie..and kinda-of like a classic..so i suppose that explains it..^.^

Aa-chan

Aa-chan

AA-CHAN

Quote by toxictea23Well Jaws was a cool movie..and kinda-of like a classic..so i suppose that explains it..^.^

I guess, but I thought the UMD thing was just a gimmick for Sony to exploit and make some more money. They're just bringing out far more movies than I expected.

Follow AA-CHAN as he teaches English in South Korea and enjoys his K-Pop music fandoms up close!

LOL, well i think they will publish some old movies on umd first, i guess it's cheaper than the newer movies. And maybe there still are people who don't trust in the umd that much at the moment, dvd's sell better, so when you think about it. If they want to make allot of money they'll publish newer movies on dvd, besides not everyone wants a psp to watch a movie on >_<.

personaly i dont really care about the umd movies, they are over priced and a waste of time, you can get a proper dvd version for less than the umd price. i love my psp bur i am not going to waste good money on buying overly priced lower wuality umds when i can buy the dvd. just put your own movies on your psp instead its easier cheaper and as far as i know not illegal as i put fansubs on which aint illegal but mainly use it for games and music. its a great piece of kit and the umd's are good but at the moment they are just too pricey

Signature Image

I have a psp, and I can say that I will never watch a UMD movie. If I wanted to watch movies on the go I'd get a portable dvd player so I wouldn't have to invest money in a doomed media format. The UMD's will never catch on, why? Because I can't bring them home and watch them on my TV. Until that become possible why bother? You're only limitting yourself.

Signature
I am unreasonable for I have lost all reason

I'm pretty suprised that UMD movies have sold in the millions in the US. I thought it would bomb, considering it was proprietary and the only device that uses them on the consumer market is the PSP. Guess people aren't willing to wait a few hours to rip and encode their DVDs into PSP format. The only UMD movie I may even consider purchasing is Advent Children, but only a discounted price around $10, like I've seen some UMDs at Fry's Electronics for.

siliver16

siliver16

iwillbeurfriend...no!lol..

what is an umd?????????? is it a company?
(i am slow on everything)
-mxc

mxc-just someone's intal im using for this wedsite.lol. and im just another crazy peron in this world... so if u don't like me deal with it....jk

Quote by siliver16what is an umd?????????? is it a company?(i am slow on everything)-mxc

A UMD is the disk for the PSP that plays movie. Its the PSP format.
The reason why they are releasing such an odd variety is that they are planning on releasing everything that was available on DVD in UMD. Why? Because Sony is serious about trying to promot the fact that this was there multimedia entertainment system. They want it to be the all in one system. They evidently figure its more bang for you buck to pay out for ONE sysetem to play video games, listen to music, cruise the net, store pictures, watch movies, ect. then to have to pay out all that money to get each individual portable device that does this stuff. And actually they are right. Once you all up each element you do save money by just getting the PSP instead.
So expect many more UMD movie because as long as sales do well everything that hits DVD will hit the PSP as well.

As for Twisted freak saying this

Quote by twistedfreakpersonaly i dont really care about the umd movies, they are over priced and a waste of time, you can get a proper dvd version for less than the umd price. i love my psp bur i am not going to waste good money on buying overly priced lower wuality umds when i can buy the dvd. just put your own movies on your psp instead its easier cheaper and as far as i know not illegal as i put fansubs on which aint illegal but mainly use it for games and music. its a great piece of kit and the umd's are good but at the moment they are just too pricey

I really want to know where you are looking at them! I have not seen a UMD around where I live for more than the cost of a DVD. There have been a couple of exceptions but normally they are 19 dollars at the higher range and normally 14-15 at the normal majority range. I don't find that to be really over priced at all.

My ever growing website Anime Fountain.

My forum with TONS of Anime, Video Game, J-Music news and more posted on a nearly daily basis. We search it out so you don's have to. The Anime Fountain Forum

Zero-Ultimate

Zero-Ultimate

Strike Freedom

i'm not really using umd because i only put anime on my psp and that is no big deal have memory enough^^(1gigabyte)

Sit upon the frozen heavens
DAI GUREN HYOURINMARU
Signature Image

DarkVirus

DarkVirus

::Nobody::

maybe they want to release old movies in umd for collectors or just get famous classic movies more portable to watch in a small psp than a huge portable dvd player...

retire

anjovu

anjovu

the Eternal Traveller

Don't have PSP and also UMD movies are to expensive, more than a DVD when you can watch on big screen with friends.

Well, the purpose of the UMD and PSP is "selfish", it's new and lots of people might it, so it's normal for the price.

ThePanda

ThePanda

Muffin Bucket

The only problem with UMD is that if you want to watch the movie on anything other than the PSP, you have to buy the movie on DVD to do so. If you buy the dvd, you can rip, resize, and convert the encode into a psp-compatible format. I grabbed a 1gb ms pro duo and never looked back. I'm still waiting for a way to write to a UMD (or for them to start selling empty UMDs and provide the firmware to do so. The UMD drive itself seems VERY similar to a minidisc player... Maybe they're hiding something?

Signature

Why would anyone want to watch a small sized miniature version when you can watch at home with your 60 inch plasma T.V ( only of course if your in public trains n very very bored, right?).

Well PSP is for gaming mainly. Sony just wants to add tons of feature (cause of bussiness).

I think there's umm....REAL...ummm....PrON. Wonder if ders Hentai?

Aa-chan

Aa-chan

AA-CHAN

I have seen some adult UMDs offered and I know Akira and some other anime is being done. As for hentai, I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Claude

15th Division Taichou

Whether or not the UMD is bad or good, like cccrip has mentioned, it's sold millions. heck it's considered an incredible success! it's sellin on a 1:1 ratio wit games. last i heard sum 8.2 million UMD movies hav been sold. popular stuff indeed

Fear my Zanpaku-to, 'Rengeki'!!

If i'm dodging, i won't let him cut me
If i'm protecting someone, i won't let her die
And if i'm attacking, I'll cut you!!

- Kurosaki Ichigo, Bleach

ChaoticOni

ChaoticOni

Timeless Existence

Umd offers another form of video that is used for portablility. However, in my opinion i would rather buy a dvd, and watch it on a big tv rather then on a psp. But the only time i actually used a psp to play movies was on long road trips, but the psp would run outa juice shortly after the movie ends. and i dont have a spare battery for psp either.

page 1 of 1 17 total items

Back to Music & Movies | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.