Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 [*.:.New Orlean's Cops.:.*] - Minitokyo

[*.:.New Orlean's Cops.:.*]

page 1 of 1 17 total items

Article provided by the Toronto Sun

Quote: New Orleans' thin blue line is frayed at the edges. In the past few days, two police officers took their own lives and dozens have turned in their badges. Deputy Police chief W.J.Ripley yesterday indetified both dead officers. He called both "Outstanding cops", and friends.
When asked how they died, Ripley put a finger to his temple..then paused.
"Both of them," he said, shaking his head slowly. "..Used their own guns.."
Several dozen of the city's 1,600 police officers have failed to report for duty, and some have turned in their badges.

Apparently, two officers of the new orleans department had commited suicide due to, i suppose, emmense stress of the katrina devistation that was implemented there.
I am interested in hearing your opinions as to why they commited suicide. As to why they felt like commiting suicide was the only way to go. Also, i am interested to hear as to why you believe so many officers had turned over their badges to the department and left their lives as officers.

SoulScholar

SoulScholar

NAVI-Gator

Well...lets see, most of them lost everything towards Katrina, which would include money, food/supplies and possibly family. Although others are trying to support them with charities and such, it may not be enough...So ya.

Thx to Rebel-Soul-Kaze for the awesome av and sig! <3 always chichiri~
Signature
+ Userguide to MT3 + Forum Guidelines + MT Policy + Support and Inquiry + Complaints + FAQs +

... I don't feel like commenting suicides... depends on circonstances and characters

For the others, parhaps it was too much for them... well not everybody is strong and cope everything... or perhaps also to leave and to care for their family. I heard one policer officer asking for help and saying that himself hasn't seen his daughter for two days - but he was still there to take care of the inhibitants...

Signature
Thanks to GothicMike for making my avatar and signature.

Member of : Renegade Fighter ~ Anime Paradise ~ Death-Note

Simply because, they can't handle it. Katrina caused devastation to New Orleans and I guess they couldn't take the pressure of it all so they just decided to give up. People lost everything. Perhaps they didn't see any interest in being a cop or living anymore.

lunacrystal

lunacrystal

Am I alive?

Quote by MayaNatsume17Simply because, they can't handle it. Katrina caused devastation to New
Orleans and I guess they couldn't take the pressure of it all so they
just decided to give up. People lost everything. Perhaps they didn't
see any interest in being a cop or living anymore.

that makes sense but...

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

wolfco

wolfco

Prelate

Obviously I don't why these two officers in particular committed suicide, but I would imagine it might be at least in part due to stress. They were looking at months and months of dealing with an unmanageable workload. Most cops are overloaded to begin with, but this particular situation must be insane with literately everyone looking to them as officials for help. If they were good cops, I can see where they would feel in some way responsible for various people's traumas (not that I think they were... I just see where they could feel that way). It is entirely possible that the stress of their workloads and the emotionable burden of seeing such tragic, not to mention the personal loss they were probably facing, conspired to become an insurmountable obstacle. They might have thought of suicide as the only way to escape seeing such despair around them. It is also possible they were carrying a large burden of regret for those they could not save or help. It is impossible to say really, but I'm sure these same feelings are in part responsible for so many officers leaving the force.

If you would challenge me, then you must first stand before the Darkness. You must look into it and become it. You must fall before it and then reach out to encompass it. When it is joined to your heart, you must overcome its insidious temptation. You are ready to face me when you can betray even your own heart in service to your cause.

They didn't want to be a cop or live anymore because people lost about everything, they couldn't handle it. I feel really sad...

Asigha

Asigha

Welcome To The Club

u kno wut i heard that since crime rate is so high in New Orleans now that in certain gun shops there selling guns to whome ever is willing to buy them :o n they showed a gun shop on the new that before they were selling almost 800 fire-arms n now there selling close to 1000 n then u wonder y toronto has a high crime rate now..i bet u any money that some of these guns will b sold illegally to gangs or teens in toronto :( wut has this world come to :(

...i will rise again...
{~}In Trance We Trust{~}
Signature

somebodyelse

Retired Moderator

somebodyelse

Pacman's mouthpiece

Here's my 2 cents.

These cops are both New Orleans citizens and public servants at once. So, they probably got hit just as hard as everybody else that lives in New Orleans, some of them losing literally everything... Then, on top of that, as public servants in a disaaster area they probably get the dubious honor of dealing with thousands of citizens who have also lost everything, and some of them may see fit to lash out at the cops simply because they are there to lash out at. And surely a lot of them get to help drag floating, bloated corpses out of the water, and/or deal with looters downtown (many of whom are armed).

In other words, they're dealing with a lot of the stuff that Vietnam vets had to deal with that had post-traumatic stress disorder, AND their homes are under 10 or more feet of water. That and maybe they've lost friends or loved ones. I'd hate to be in their shoes.

Signature Image
"Searchin' for my lost shaker of salt..." -Jimmy Buffett

Aoi Nishimata goodies! Check my gallery out!

animefairy

animefairy

Bored student

Quote by MayaNatsume17Simply because, they can't handle it. Katrina caused devastation to New
Orleans and I guess they couldn't take the pressure of it all so they
just decided to give up. People lost everything. Perhaps they didn't
see any interest in being a cop or living anymore.

i agree!! suicide is scary!!

Thank you so much to soujiokita fro making my avy and sig! Mega thanks! *hugs*
Signature
Check out my userpage layout by Chichiri1907

I read about that, there was one on duty for 48 hours, others told him to take a rest, to get out of there, he refused at first, others kept forcing him, he at last decided to commit suicide instead.

you can't blame them though, if I were to look at dead bodies that were in the water for 9 days, I wouldn't be in my right state of mind, seeing destructions, suffering and death it's just too much - for anyone in that matter

mado

mado

Ikaika

i think they did'nt want to have to deal with all the destruction in there lives and see their friends and family in such bad condition

Me Ke Aloha Pau Ole A Hui Hau
( With Everlasting Love And Affection Until We Meet Again.)

marauder09

marauder09

Cruisin around the world

Thats really sad to hear the cops committing suicide. Its true that some cops get stressed out because they lost everything and lost the will to live again after what happened. Help is under way but the cops couldn't hold out much longer... I would hate to be in a position like that.

"I need the sunshine of your heavenly eyes, after the day's great sun. And if i had a rose for every time i thought of you, I'd walk through a garden forever" Secret quote Signature Image

Outstanding cops.... Way to go~ Commiting suicide and still given the honor?

Dozens didn't report for duty... This only prove their loyalty to their country and homeland... Some might have died during the storm though...

Several turn in their badges... They are responsible cops, but.... They just can't meet the standards when the call of duty comes in...

undeadsymphony

undeadsymphony

anti-human

Quote by Seraphim84Outstanding cops.... Way to go~ Commiting suicide and still given the honor?
Dozens didn't report for duty... This only prove their loyalty to their country and homeland... Some might have died during the storm though...
Several turn in their badges... They are responsible cops, but.... They just can't meet the standards when the call of duty comes in...

as unfortunate as the situation was, i'll have to agree.

Signature Image
music of the spiritually dead; the eternally restless.

Mabye the cops that suicided thought they would be blamed if they just walked away.

undeadsymphony

undeadsymphony

anti-human

Quote by SnicketMabye the cops that suicided thought they would be blamed if they just walked away.

so they'd rather be dead than dishonored?
or maybe they just couldn't take the heat?

Signature Image
music of the spiritually dead; the eternally restless.

page 1 of 1 17 total items

Back to General Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.