Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Asian Cinema - Minitokyo

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 47 total items

Being a big fan of film and being asian, i recently in the last years hav gotten into asian cinema. I Kinda decided to make this thread since my Silmido thread didnt get much of a response so i decided to make it more general. If any of you are into it as well, please share films you liked and such.
haha since i started the thread i guess ill start, mainly ive watched more korean and japanese films. Some directors I really admire and follow are firstly, Akira Kurosawa. Most people should know him for his awesome films like Seven Samurai (recently adapted into an anime, Samurai 7), Yojimbo, Ran, Rashomon, etc. Then there is Takeshi Kitano who is known for his yakuza/cop films (Hana-bi, Sonatine, Brother) but recently hes done some more unique stuff like Zatoichi and Kikujiro. Then the last japanese director i follow, Shunji Iwai. This guy has sometimes been compared to Tarantino because of his unique style and a song from one of his movies was actually used in Kill Bill. Anyways, what makes this guy special is that he actually composes his own scores for his movies which are awesome, his movies usually consist of really touching dramas (Love Letter, Swallowtail Butterfly, Lily Chou Chou).
And finally the last guy which is korean is Chan Wook Park, imo he is probaaly the best director from Korea. 1st off he directed OldBoy which won the grand prix at Cannes, and also directed Sympathy For Mr
Vengeance and JSA.
haha i think i write too much, anyways, please share movies that you liked as well

cartez

Swiss livin' Otaku

You talk about really nices films. I like also very much Chinese, Cantonese movies even if I don t understand a word :P. With actors like Maggie Cheung, Tony Leung Chiu Wai, Anthony Wong.
So movie I really liked

Hero
Infernal Affairs (all three)
Mission
In the Mood for Love

i like also Stephen Chow for some of his movies. I like kung fu movies....

I have seen some korean movies but not the ones you quoted. (Bichunmoo, My Sassy girl<-this one is my favourite, JSA...)
Hope there will be a lot of people to talk about asian films

Ain't no party like a P-Funk party Coz a P-Funk party don't stop.
Anime Paradise Group[b] |--| [b]My first wall[b]
[/b][/b][/b]

markjo

markjo

a bookworm & a film buff

Haven't seen many but my favourites are:
Farewell My Concubine
Jisatsu Circle (although manga was better)
Tokyo Raiders
Black Mask
all of Wong Kar-Wai
most of older Jackie Chan's movies :P

Aurore

Aurore

Umbrella Chemical, Inc.

I'm also a fan of japanese and chinese cinema :) but it's hard in Switzerland (Europe) to find a french translation on dvd... My fav movies are Ringu (all three), The Eye, Avalon, Kourei and many more.

Signature Image

cartez

Swiss livin' Otaku

Hey hey another swiss person. Nice. In fact I am only looking original version with subtitles.

Ain't no party like a P-Funk party Coz a P-Funk party don't stop.
Anime Paradise Group[b] |--| [b]My first wall[b]
[/b][/b][/b]

well if you have a regionfree dvd player which is basically a must have for asian film fans, you can get alot of asian dvds at
www.hkflix.com
www.yesasia.com
www.cdjapan.co.jp
almost all korean and japanese dvds come with eng subs, just that as stated before, have a different region

SENTRIONIC

SENTRIONIC

Color-Monk

i started with jet li films like fong sai yuk to get interested in asina cinema. my favs are some kurosawa films
and the 80's wire-fu films like the moon warriors and all the crazy films with brigitte lin. :D

-live your life the sentrionic way-
Signature

DeviousOni

DeviousOni

[D E V i O U S]

I haven't seen many asian films, but here's a quick rundown of the ones I've seen:

Ringu
Ringu 2
Audition
Postman Blues
Suicide Circle
In the Mood for Love
Shall We Dance
Returner
Ran
Seven Samurai
Battle Royale
Ju-on
Uzumaki

And a good number of Jackie Chan's old movies (Supercop being my favorite). And of course, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. XD

i liked them all except for Suicide Circle. It lacked direction in my opinion. Anyway, hope to see some more in the future. Asian cinema has this certain je n'ai sais quoi quality about them that you don't see too often in Western cinema. I think it's the depth of character.

haah nice, i forgot about Battle Royale, good stuff!
hmm but i didnt realli like Juon, found it kinda boring and pointless

Kurosawa absolutely rocks. Incredible genius. I just watched House of Blood again the other day. You've got to see that. The one shot with the arrow (you'll know what I'm talking about when you see it) is just incredible. I can't imagine how they got that shot.

I've seen some very good Asian films recently. Shanghai Triad, Heaven and Earth, Bangkok Dangerous, 47 Ronin, Sword of Doom, Kill!

i love the old Zatoichi films with Shintaro Katsu. Haven't seen the Beat Takeshi version, yet. I've been sort of putting it off. I'll get around to it, but I just love the old Katsu-shin movies so much, y'know?

The Happiness of the Katakuris is one of the most bizarre movies I've ever seen, and I've seen many a Ken Russell film.

hah speaking of the old zatoichi series, anyone see the lone wolf and cub series? its another famous japanese exploitation film series from the 70s. ive seen most of them and found them entertaining except all the gratuitous nudity and sex

ive seen most of kurosawa, some other older romance flix, as well as most of the newer comedy, horror, action, and extremely violent ones.

lately, however, ive been out of the loop... ><

Well, I got a small collection of different kung fu movies, then I've seen some japanese movies, but I haven't really kept track on them. But one that recently had a lot of impact on me was Postman Blues. A very touching movie (just can't remember the director).

Takashi Miike is a good Japanese director, might want to check him out if you haven't already. I'm gonna go try to find Oldboy.... Currently I'm to the point where I'm about done wasting my money on Hollywoods garbage, so looking to other shores for good cinema is always a good route to follow. Although it seems even foreign directors begin to Americanize thier films after obtaining a certain level of success. All for the money I would say....

Deen

Deen

|| Le croyant ||

Asian Movie....i think returner and THE volcano HIGH

Signature Image

hmm never really liked miike's stiff, i always found it way too gratuitous and with no substance.

Which Miike movies you speak of? Or do you just not like his "style" at all.

Ichi The Killer, Full Metal Yakuza, Dead Or Alive, etc. its not his "style" i hate, he is good at directing but his movies never appealed to me. To me they are no better then all the 70s eploitation films that Ive seen. His films really hold no substance, he solely relies on showing some of the most graphic/gratuitous violence, sex, rape, and other taboos to get the cult following that he has.
I have yet to see his Audition and Zebraman, but these look like better attempts at a good film.

Yeah I was gonna say Ichi and Full Metal Yakuza focus on violent lifestyles so the violence to me just pushed along the story. As for Ichi, the comic was MUCH worse as far as violence go but you might want to check out Audition as the violence never gets heavy and the acting is for the most part pretty well, at least I thought so. The woman did a passable job but the old man and his collegue did both good performances... Its funny, in asian cinema they don't really have big name stars like Tom Cruise or Mel Gibson or what have you, but many of the movies feature very good acting...

hmm ill try checkin out Audition then if i ever get the chance

Miike is a strange director. His movies are full of gore, drugs, rape, and anything on the shady side. I just finished watching Ichi the Killer a few hours ago and it has some of the strangest things I've ever seen in a movie. A woman gets her nipples cut off with a blade and it was on-screen with none of that off-screen death stuff for the scene. Miike has to be demented in the head I swear.

Quote by VetesMiike is a strange director. His movies are full of gore, drugs, rape, and anything on the shady side. I just finished watching Ichi the Killer a few hours ago and it has some of the strangest things I've ever seen in a movie. A woman gets her nipples cut off with a blade and it was on-screen with none of that off-screen death stuff for the scene. Miike has to be demented in the head I swear.

haha i know what you mean, i feel the same way about him

The comic is even worse.... Of Ichi the Killer I mean. I think Miike has a way of showing things with no holds barred that DO happen in normal life, just most people don't want to acknowledge them or think about them.

Whats that movie, Tears of the Sun I think, with Bruce Willis, where the African lady tells him that they cut of the breasts of lactating mothers so they have to watch thier children starve to death in thier arms..... Not just Miike is messed up, some humans and entire groups of humans in general are just plain messed up!!!!

My Sassy Girl!

has anyone seen it? :)

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 47 total items

Back to Music & Movies | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.