Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Asian Cinema - Minitokyo

page 2 of 2 « Previous 1 2 47 total items

h3llb3nt, i dont tihnk you understand anything about movies, Vetes was refering to Miikes methods, and i had to agree with him. If Miike wants to show something like a womens nipples getting cut off, there has to be a reason for it, whihc i never see. And also, it just proves that he isnt so good at making movies, some of the most graphic and disturbing films i Have seen never had to show such gratuity. For example, the korean film Memories Of Murder, is the true story of a serial murderer/rapist and the movie was quite disturbing, but they barely show you any of the violence and such. You know its there but you dont actually see it with your own eyes. As they say, what you cant see is what is really frightful.
And you prove yourselff wrong in your own statement, we never said movies couldnt cover taboos, or really "messed up" shit, just saying that there are more professional ways to do it. Sure, its easy to jut SHOW the violence directly (The Passion), but it takes skill to pull it off without it. Think about it, look at films like Pulp Fiction, the infamous scene where Bruce Willis slashes some guys with a katana, this scene was thought to be violent but guess what? it didnt even show any entry of the katana and barely and blood at all!! Same goes with all the Hitchcock horrors, Psycho for example, the shower scene is thought to be one of the most scary scenes in cinema, i mean people lost sleep over this and were afraid tos hower after seeing it. And again, they didnt show jack!!
btw ive read Ichi the comic, and i dont see what difference it makes, just cause the comic was graphic doesnt mean the movie had to follow precisely. I mean you can get away with so much more in a comic. For example, Oldboy another comic adaption didnt need to do this, sure its graphic but its not so much that it takes over the movie. And btw, jsut to let you know, Ichi was NOT disturbing at all, it was comical, the violence and such was like out of a really bad B movie or some shitty 70s exploitation movie, the reason its at all disturbing is that this psycho has gained a cult following, and even more so, these people make him out to be some kind of genius which he is not. As stated before, his movies are all impact over matter

Infernal Affairs (the first one only)

that was good.

i've grown up with asian cinema and i love it ^_^

Some of my favs are:
Once Upon A Time In China I (China)
My Sassy Girl (Korea)
The Letter (Japan)
Il Mare (Korea)
Internal Affaris (China)

THE volcano HIGH !?

Quote by gogglesi've grown up with asian cinema and i love it ^_^ Some of my favs are: Once Upon A Time In China I (China) My Sassy Girl (Korea) The Letter (Japan) Il Mare (Korea) Internal Affaris (China)

ah Il Mare, loved that one. It may have been sorta cliche and overdone but I still liked it quite a bit

shyxsakura

Retired Moderator

shyxsakura

poopoo

korean movie = TAE GUHK kkiiii!! @_@ hawt hawt wonn biinn~<33 ^o^

my god.. this thread lives once again.....
ahah anyways im sorry but oldboy>taegukgi.
choi min sik is much more sexy then won bin!!

Didn't realise someone started a thread like this. (was about to start one up.:) ) Haven't seen Taegukgi, but have already seen Oldboy. Actually, haven't been on lately due to receiving several Asian movie DVDs and have been watching them when I'm not working. Just finished watching Infernal Affairs, JSA and Casshern, all of which are great. Taegukgi is next on the list to watch, but I'm so tired............need sleep. :sweat:

Oh, and speaking of disturbing scenes, anyone seen the Korean film 'h'. Watched it last night with some friends and had some of them freak out over the murder scenes. (those who've seen it know what they are.)

BakutenJo

BakutenJo

made in hell

I'm very into Asian movies but they're hard to find in my country. Luckily for me my job lets me have 10 free rentals a week, and we do carry several titles.

Can't pick a favourite right now, but the ones I enjoyed most have been Versus and Returner. I've got a DVD of Casshern on the way. I like both BR and brii, and lots of crazy random movies like Ju-on, Ringu, A Tale of Two Sisters, So Close, Happiness of the Katakuris, The Triple Cross, The Twins Effect, Azumi, and several others, the names of which I forgot.

But yeah, big fan. Any reccommendations?

yea Tale oF Two Sisters was a great one, that one was an instant buy for me. hmm im still mixed on Casshern, im not sure if i liked it or not haha.

i recently saw the samurai trilogy which is an adaption of my favorite book "Musashi" by Eiji Yoshikawa so if your a fan of the book as well, its pretty nice seeing it as a movie even though its a little different.

The only other big movi i have seen recently was Raging Years which imo was absolute crap so i suggest stay far away from that one.

shyxsakura

Retired Moderator

shyxsakura

poopoo

Quote by crapmonstermy god.. this thread lives once again.....
ahah anyways im sorry but oldboy&gt;taegukgi.
choi min sik is much more sexy then won bin!!

O.O nooooo!! >o< won biinn!!

^-^ i allssoo luverzz: guh nohm uhn muh shi sut ddah!! ^o^ that handsome boy? >o< He was Handsome!! yeah!! Song Seung Hun ish hawt!! ^O^ aahahhaz .. DaBin is the main female character~<33

i sorta doubt ill get any replys from this but has anyone seen Wong Kar Wai's 2046? i bought the dvd a while back and just viewed it today. personally i thought it was a great followup to "in the mood for love" despite what many critics are saying. point is, im curious what others thought about this movie.

I had been meaning to pick that up, until i found out takeshi kaneshiro wasnt in it(i had been informed that he was in it...so i was very hyped about the film) i'll still pick it up, i'm just in no big rush anymore

too many good asian films to list them, so i'll just do a director run down. Kurasawa, miike, ryuhei kitamura, jonny to, hiroyuki nakano. wow..i almost left out takeshi kitano....

movies from directors not listed above(or un known to me) :suicide club, battle royale, the returner. lots more but i dont wanna go on for too long

shyxsakura

Retired Moderator

shyxsakura

poopoo

ne nee~

you guys should watch ....

" the garden of heaven "

with ahn jae wok .. and lee eun joo .. >.< so sad ..

kuroimisa

Retired Moderator

kuroimisa

Wizard of Darkness -under a rock

I've seen a lot of stuff... this is probably not everything... but I'll try to list as much as I can :)

Korean
Il Mare (korean... mentioned above), My Sassy gf (I think this could have been shortened... it got a bit tedious... but still, the deadpan humour is pretty good), Nightmare (the most unscariest horror movie made... lol)

Japanese ... here we go...

Ekoeko Azarak Wizard of Darkness (hahaha feat. Kuroi Misa), Ekoeko Azarak II Birth of the Wizard, Fudoh: the new generation (a very disturbing film about the Yakuza... I like... XD), Red Shadow, Love Letter (the one with Kawashibara Takashi... it's such a sweet movie), Another Heaven (feat. Eguichi Nosuke(?) I forgot ... so long ago...), Friends (with Won Bin and Kyoko Fukada... uhh...), Ring, Ring 2 (gave up on that one)

Argg there are so many more... Moon Child (hahaha...), I have Oresama (need to watch after finals)... errrr... there were those movies I was shown at school as well... but the names escape me...

... one of my favourite movies though lol must be Godzilla!! In japanese fashion >]
And there was also that ancient series... arggg... it had that lone samurai who pushes his son around in a wooden cradle... argg... I can't believe I can't remember the name of it... something wolf... Lone Wolf? Eurgh... I hate myself for not remembering...

Oh. And there was OnMyoJi- that was freakily magical... (The YinYang Master)

Err. Excuse me for writing down the names of these strange, strange movies nobody has heard of.

Of course! And there's "All about Lily Chou-Chou"- that's a really really sad and depressing film, but it's so still and perfect- one of the best movies made.

Chinese (Cantonese)

Where do I start??

There's Jackie Chan movies....
Those Bruce Lee movies...

Argg... I forgot his name again! But the three brothers who wrote and starred in the very old "bun gan bak leung" (ugh. I can't translate gan... Let's just say it's like "half a kilo five hundred grams" lol)... they made some really funny movies... that one's my favourite because it's so funny having a spying agency and things go wrong...

Stephen Chow movies are the ones that come into mind XP They are really one of the kind... I really like "From Beijing with Love" ... they are really intertextual and damn funny XD

Err. I won't go into the twins movies. No comment.

Ooooh and those older ones like "Fong Sai Yuk" and "Wong Fei Hung" ... those ones are always good... which reminds me of Jet Li *boings* I forgot Jet Li movies >_<

The Shaolin movies!! (or were they mandarin? arggg... bad memory...)

Chinese (Mandarin)

I haven't seen too many of these. But the ones I remember is "Not one less" - about a young teacher who was told to keep all of her students and she will be paid $10 when the teacher comes back... it was hectic...
I also remember this older movie with Zhang Zi Yi in it.. she was a country girl and most of it was running through grass fields... she falls in love with a young teacher... and all is well in the end :) She just waited a long time....

Err. There are probably more but I won't bore you with this list.

My parents watch a lot of movies and tune into the Asian movies lol... they can't understand English... that's why :)
Of course there's Hero, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon...

Signature
Misa|Virtuoso and Legend of W.A.R - UA|Most coordinated Legion of W.A.R
MINITOKYO-WIDE KNOCKOUT WALLING COMP: LAUNCHES MARCH 2010. ONE WINNER. ONE PRIZE.
ADD ME TO YOUR FRIENDS <3

haha wow this thread got revived. anyways kuroimisa i see you like lily chou chou and love letter. both great movies from Shunji Iwai. id highly recommend you to check out Swallowtail Butterfly which is the one with the biggest cult following from the 3 films of Shunji Iwai.
and the Shaolin movies, if your talking about the Shaw Brothers Kung Fu movies yea they are mainland so in mand.

kuroimisa

Retired Moderator

kuroimisa

ooohhhhh yes the shaw brothers ! They were like the movie typhoons until something happened and it kinda melted... my dad is in love with those movies ^_^

He's always like saying "this stuff is *real* kung fu... blah blah blah" lol...
*you can see I am a retro Chinese movie fan lol*

Ehhhh I wish I could get my claws on some Shunji Iwai!
I'll probably try after my exams and see what I can dig out... his directing is wonderful :D

One movie I really want to see is Azumi though... I couldn't go see it because it was for audiences over 18... and I was 16 at the time it came out :( *sigh*

Signature
MINITOKYO-WIDE KNOCKOUT WALLING COMP: LAUNCHES MARCH 2010. ONE WINNER. ONE PRIZE.

azumi is not that great imo, though for swallowtail btw, you can only get it on R2 DVD, or dl it sadly

kuroimisa

Retired Moderator

kuroimisa

ehhh... it's not that great? blah... the trailers *kicks the trailers*

Ehhhh... well I'll still try to find it somehow... *expects having a lot of difficulty getting it*
I'm sure there should be something at a store :S

And did I write typhoon in the previous post? I was meant to write tycoon >_<

Signature

Quote by ricenoodlesMy Sassy Girl!has anyone seen it? :)

yea I seen it.....jeon ji hyeon was soooo cute in it.....wenever I hear pachabel's canon I think of this movie...lolz

I watch jap, korean and bunch of hk movies and all........total tvb person......lolz

hey crapmonster u should do separate threads for diff asian countries......coz it'll be easier to discuss their separate movies instead of cramming them together into one category

kuroimisa

Retired Moderator

kuroimisa

Quote by crapmonsterhmm ill try checkin out Audition then if i ever get the chance

I missed this one.

Is this *the* Audition movie?
If so... it's >_> <_<
Let's just say.... eurgh :)
i told my friend that movie was on... she recorded it... and... consequently...
... screamed >_<

i also forgot to mention that movie "Gemini"... it was strangely freaky. A twin brother comes from a slum and overtakes his brother's life. Spine chilling stuff.

Signature

Redimer

Redimer

Edge Master of the Platinum

I like the horror japanese movies like the trilogy of Ringu, Dark water and Ju-On

There are several things that cause monsters.
The first is the glory of God

uhh i love asians film..but here its hard to get asian films>.< and i dotn have so much money to buy films from the internet.. T.T''

but i love old boy.. after i saw this film, no other film was good as old boy!! I rlly rlly love it+i am facinating of it.

who know it else?

page 2 of 2 « Previous 1 2 47 total items

Back to Music & Movies | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.