Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Is Suicide Selfish? - Minitokyo

Is Suicide Selfish?

page 2 of 7 « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next » 148 total items

WolfMaster

WolfMaster

The Hunter

it is for weak mined people who can not deal with life so they punk out

Quote by SilentKnightI don't find it as selfish, I see it as an easy way out. Committing suicide basically means that you're unwilling to face whatever hardship you're going through and you want a quick way out that will most likely attract pity from other people. It's an act of giving up.
I believe that too many people fail to understand that despite all the bullsh*t that goes on in this world, life goes on and never loses its value.

Well said!

Quote by SilentKnight

Quote by MystfyreEasy way out? Hah! Whatever your priorities. I, for one, do not think
killing myself would be "easy". In fact, it would definitley be the
hardest thing for me to do in my life (of course, it would end my life
so I would never have an opportunity to do something harder :D).

When you're in a state of extreme mental depression, killing yourself is actually a lot easier than usual. This is because you are no longer thinking rationally, usually at this point you basically have been contemplating suicide for long enough to convince yourself mentally that this is the path you want to take and is the only path you can take, hence you go ahead without any second thoughts until it's probably too late and you're already dying.
Take it from someone who's gone through such an ordeal and survived to tell it, it's not a fun thing to go through and I wouldn't want to see anyone else going through it either.

It takes a lack of rational thought to kill yourself? Last time I checked, survival was the prevailing animalistic instinct (aka lacking rational thought). Thats a new one. I stand by what I say - nothing can make me kill myself on purpose. I'm too much of a coward. However, simply walking away from life's problems is easy as making ramen noodles from wal-mart.

Hmm..that gives me an interesting thought. I'm too much of a coward to kill myself. Then how is suicide the coward's way out? I think we either need a word rephrasel, or maybe I'm just different from the average person.

Regardless, this is how I am, and although I would hesitate to claim that all suicidal people act in the same manner as I would, like the rest of you choose to do. But I'll tell you what - the moment I try to commit suicide, and if I survive (fat chance, I'm a very thorough person), I'll come here and apologize for my lack of understanding.

jasaiyajin

jasaiyajin

-repeat-

Bleh, so imbecilic, no harm intended. Survival is the gene trasfer of the strong and prevalent. If a mind becomes weak, it naturally tries to destroy itself unconsciously. Thus, the strong genetic code can be passed on, while the weak is destroyed from existence.

People are people, quit name calling and saying nonsense about others. We have experiences and genetics relative to ourselves, we are different. Some choose their own path on their own accord for personal reasons that others cannot understand in such simple forums as these.

Don't claim to understand anything until you have written your omnipotent bible ( basic instructions before leaving earth ). By that saying, I declare myself an imbecile.

-repeat-

Quote by jasaiyajinBleh, so imbecilic, no harm intended. Survival is the gene trasfer of the strong and prevalent. If a mind becomes weak, it naturally tries to destroy itself unconsciously. Thus, the strong genetic code can be passed on, while the weak is destroyed from existence.

That sounds like a load of crock. I've always found myself to be of weak mind, yet I feel no strange urge to blow my head off. But hey, whatever works for you, I don't have a better explanation.

Quote by jasaiyajin
People are people, quit name calling and saying nonsense about others. We have experiences and genetics relative to ourselves, we are different. Some choose their own path on their own accord for personal reasons that others cannot understand in such simple forums as these.

I havn't insulted anyone but myself. All assumptions about suicide are according to and only concerning myself - I don't even pretend to understand the way anyone else thinks, mainly because I don't pay enough attention to other people.

Quote by jasaiyajin
Don't claim to understand anything until you have written your omnipotent bible ( basic instructions before leaving earth ). By that saying, I declare myself an imbecile.

Writing this statement is a claim of understanding. I can safely assume you have not written an omnipotent bible, so your advice is already flawed before you even dub yourself an imbecile - which may or may not be true, because the premise is flawed. For all I know, you can be a complete genius, which really doesn't concern me.

I am, of course, assuming this entire post was directed at me.

Suicide is not selfish. You can do whatever you want with your life. People who want to escape from the world can. Besides, everyone is selfish in their own way.

Ephix

Ephix

Chibi Dark Elf

Suicide is probably the most selfish thing you can do because it hurts those that love you. I don't care if you feel you can do whatever you want, hurting others because you can't handle life is extremely selfish.

Signature

"Sleep is for the weak. *yawn* DAMNIT!"

In my opinion suicide its not selfish. It is just stupid as hell.

When you're depressed, most of the time, You don't SEE the people who care about you. Therefore, when you're think about suicide, you're not thinking, "Oh, I shouldn't do this because then I'm going to hurt the people who love me". Give me a bloody brake, NO ONE thinks that when they hurt them selfs in ANY way. And what about the people who actually don't have people who care about them. Are they still selfish?

You people need to open you're minds and actually try to see what the people who are depressed are going through in sted of calling them cowards.

i do have to say, that when someone kills themselfs because they didn't get an A on their Math test, or because their boyfriend/girlfriend of a week or so broke up with them, or because they didn't get their "Dream Job" then what they did WAS not selfish, or cowardly, just plain STUPID.

And when you really think about it. People commet suicide all the time. Those people, who join the army, knowing that they're going to go out into a war, maybe die, and then DO. That's commiting suicide. Or those people who strap themselfs to a tree and get cut down with it. *shrug* Sure, maybe it's for a "Good Cause" but it's still suicide.

Ephix

Ephix

Chibi Dark Elf

Quote by UnwantedRedRosesWhen you're depressed, most of the time, You don't SEE the people who care about you. Therefore, when you're think about suicide, you're not thinking, "Oh, I shouldn't do this because then I'm going to hurt the people who love me". Give me a bloody brake, NO ONE thinks that when they hurt them selfs in ANY way.

First, people do think of the people who love them, why the hell else would they write suicide notes to those around them. Second, don't go acting like you know how everyone acts when they are depressed, you have no idea what depression is.

When i was your age I got bullied everyday at school, had no friends and sucked at everything I did except for school. When I started taking medicine that messed with chemicals in my brain I thought of suicide because I began to blame myself for all my short comings. But you know what, I wouldn't ever do it because I'm not a selfish little snot, I thought "I blame myself for all my depression and I don't diserve to make my parents/grandparents feel as bad as I do just because i can't handle it."

Next time think a little bit before you go throwing your normal hormone cause depression ideas around where you have no idea what you are talking about.

Signature

"Sleep is for the weak. *yawn* DAMNIT!"

undeadsymphony

undeadsymphony

anti-human

Quote by Ephix

Quote by UnwantedRedRosesWhen you're depressed, most of the time, You don't SEE the people who care about you. Therefore, when you're think about suicide, you're not thinking, "Oh, I shouldn't do this because then I'm going to hurt the people who love me". Give me a bloody brake, NO ONE thinks that when they hurt them selfs in ANY way.

First, people do think of the people who love them, why the hell else would they write suicide notes to those around them. Second, don't go acting like you know how everyone acts when they are depressed, you have no idea what depression is.
When i was your age I got bullied everyday at school, had no friends and sucked at everything I did except for school. When I started taking medicine that messed with chemicals in my brain I thought of suicide because I began to blame myself for all my short comings. But you know what, I wouldn't ever do it because I'm not a selfish little snot, I thought "I blame myself for all my depression and I don't diserve to make my parents/grandparents feel as bad as I do just because i can't handle it."
Next time think a little bit before you go throwing your normal hormone cause depression ideas around where you have no idea what you are talking about.

Hm... let's try not to get personal about all of this, shall we?
What i mean is, you don't know what others have been through;
so try not to put others down and keep it an objective opiniated discussion. :)

Signature Image
music of the spiritually dead; the eternally restless.

Quote by SilentKnight

Quote by Mystfyre

Quote by SilentKnight

Quote by MystfyreEas(...) way out? Hah! Whatever your
priorities. I, for one, do not think
killing myself would be "easy". In fact, it would definitley be the
hardest thing for me to do in my life (of course, it would end my life
so I would never have an opportunity to do something harder:D).

When you're in a state of extreme mental depression, killing yourself
is actually a lot easier than usual. This is because you are no longer
thinking rationally, usually at this point you basically have been
contemplating suicide for long enough to convince yourself mentally
that this is the path you want to take and is the only path you can
take, hence you go ahead without any second thoughts until it's
probably too late and you're already dying.
Take it from someone who's gone through such an ordeal and survived to
tell it, it's not a fun thing to go through and I wouldn't want to see
anyone else going through it either.

It takes a lack of rational thought to kill yourself? Last time
I checked, survival was the prevailing animalistic instinct (aka
lacking rational thought). Thats a new one. I stand by what I say -
nothing can make me kill myself on purpose. I'm too much of a coward.
However, simply walking away from life's problems is easy as making
ramen noodles from wal-mart.
Hmm..that gives me an interesting thought. I'm too much of a coward to
kill myself. Then how is suicide the coward's way out? I think we
either need a word rephrasel, or maybe I'm just different from the
average person. Regardless, this is how I am, and although I would
hesitate to claim that all suicidal people act in the same
manner as I would, like the rest of you choose to do. But I'll tell you
what - the moment I try to commit suicide, and if I survive (fat
chance, I'm a very thorough person), I'll come here and apologize for
my lack of understanding.

You didn't read my entire post.
Here's the difference, your talking about just simply committing suicide out of nowhere, which um...doesn't happen. I'm talking about committing suicide after going through a long period of extreme depression, a point when your basic mentality has already changed.
lol, was that an attempted ridicule of my argument? cause if it is, you're making yourself look immature and there would be no point in us taking this debate any further.

Nope, it wasn't. It was more of an expression of disbelief than anything. Take the meaning of my posts however you desire. I really don't care about your impression of me. Yes, I read your post completely; Yes, I understand that you mean after "a long period of extreme depression".

But what you miss is that I'm strictly basing this off of my personality and my values - meaning that it can be taken as complete rubbish for anyone else. You, for example. I never get depressed. On the flip side, I'm never happy, yet perfectly content (in my mind), if you understand. My grandmother, whom I loved dearly, died. My reaction? I was neither sad nor angry. It was just like telling me the time of day or the whats the weather like. While this may define me as emotionless, I do not think it is so - maybe emotionally retarded? But I'm branching off.

Based on my description of myself, which most people who know me would probably find accurate, I can safely say that I do not think suicide is cowardly or selfish, but it would take a huge act of courage to kill myself. By courage, I mean the ability to staunch fear, not necessarily honorable bravery. Now, you say that after contemplating suicide, your basic mentality is changed - I cannot argue against this, because I have virtually no experiance in a change of mentality, although I've already played CYA plenty of times by specifying that my opinions were only concerning my suicide - which sparks an interest in me, since I know basically nothing about psychology.

1) How is the mind changed?
2) To what degree is the mind changed?
3) How, if possible, can this change be reversed?

I would apprieciate everyone to refrain from insulting either the debators or the suicidal people. Whether it be Ad Hominem attacks or simple ignorance, it doesn't matter. They don't belong in this thread.
(But you will never know if I'm just bsing and creating this arguement to allieviate my boredom, will you?)

miraku-spike

miraku-spike

~Rurouni Kenshin~

I'd say its both selfish and pointless. I should know cuase I tried it once. Before you commit suicide. Think about why your doing it in the first place, and who your going to leave behind. Suicide is not the answer. If you under a great deal of stress. Talk to your close friends. They should help you out. I learned that the hard way.

Signature Image

Suicide, in itself, is not necessarily a selfish act. It is usually desperate act, but not a selfish one. People commit suicide, or threaten to do so mostly out of hopelessness, frustration, possibly in a plea for attention. But generally, they feel that they have nowhere else to turn. I, personally, do not look down on people who feel suicidal, nor do I call them selfish. I can't possibly understand what they feel, and often times, people who are suicidal feel that they are doing the world a favor by removing themselves from it. This to me, doesn't sound selfish. It may not be rational necessarily, but it isn't selfish. We all experience times of weakness and despair. If you don't like the idea of someone killing himself/herself, don't condemn them, try to help.

itsbigdan

itsbigdan

life or hell?

It's selfish to sucide espcially when u have no feeling to others who cares about u.

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

Sepharimstone36

Sepharimstone36

Bishie Hunter

You end up hurting someone no matter what.... whether it is parents or a childhood friend you haven't spoken to in a long time... It is a bit selfish to think you can't go on and are all alone because you are doing the same thing to the people you care about by hurting yourself or worse....

undeadsymphony

undeadsymphony

anti-human

Quote by Sepharimstone36You end up hurting someone no matter what.... whether it is parents or a childhood friend you haven't spoken to in a long time... It is a bit selfish to think you can't go on and are all alone because you are doing the same thing to the people you care about by hurting yourself or worse....

true. besides, nobody's ALL alone-- whether they realize it or not.

Signature Image
music of the spiritually dead; the eternally restless.

DoubleBarrel

DoubleBarrel

Banisher of Spam

suicide...hmm..... to live or die everyone has to die one day its part of deaths design but if u want to end your on life.....remember it is going to affect everyone u know and everyone around u.

Slicing spam into nothingness so u wont have to.

Minato

Minato

...scatter the dream...

Occasionally, it's the "stop selfishly thinking about yourself, and start thinking about my needs!" situation. Suicide certainly isn't a light matter; if one has thought it over completely, and has decided that their death would better suit them than being with others, than it is not a selfish decision. After all, we are in control of our own lives...who would we be to try and change that?

jasaiyajin

jasaiyajin

-repeat-

Quote by Mystfyre

Quote by jasaiyajinBleh, so imbecilic, no harm intended. Survival is the
gene trasfer of the strong and prevalent. If a mind becomes weak, it
naturally tries to destroy itself unconsciously. Thus, the strong
genetic code can be passed on, while the weak is destroyed from
existence.

That sounds like a load of crock. I've always found myself to be of
weak mind, yet I feel no strange urge to blow my head off. But hey,
whatever works for you, I don't have a better explanation.

Quote by jasaiyajin
People are people, quit name calling and saying nonsense about others.
We have experiences and genetics relative to ourselves, we are
different. Some choose their own path on their own accord for personal
reasons that others cannot understand in such simple forums as
these.

I havn't insulted anyone but myself. All assumptions about suicide are
according to and only concerning myself - I don't even pretend to
understand the way anyone else thinks, mainly because I don't pay
enough attention to other people.

Quote by jasaiyajin Don't claim to understand anything until you have
written your omnipotent bible ( basic instructions before leaving earth
). By that saying, I declare myself an imbecile.

Writing this statement is a claim of understanding. I can safely assume
you have not written an omnipotent bible, so your advice is already
flawed before you even dub yourself an imbecile - which may or may not
be true, because the premise is flawed. For all I know, you can be a
complete genius, which really doesn't concern me.
I am, of course, assuming this entire post was directed at me.

And the fool becomes a genius... my work is done.

-repeat-

Memero

Memero

Hiding in a cardboard box...

Is Suicide Selfish?

Yes. It is a stupid & very ineffective way of solving problems.
Unless the problem you're trying to solve is how it feels like to be dead.

People are inherently selfish.

The frightened will grow pale.
I am but a shadow in the dark,
I never grow pale...

my uncle committed sucide I dont think he was selfish I see his reasons for it and they werent selfish but I dont aggree with sucide I think its the wrong answer although I do have to say its far from being a coward sucide goes against our natural instincts and theres nothing more scarey than the unknown and death is very unknown so I believe sucide an act of desperation not cowardice and I feel sorry for those who are pushed to those limits

Signature Image

Suicide IS selfish and one must think of how it will effect others, but not before yourself. The best thing to do is help yourself because only you have the power to do that. Death will only destroy that power. Your soul will fall into eternal darkness, and your body will rot in the ground, leaving your existence meaningless. Id rather take my chances in life.

People fear the unknown yes but life has many secrets left undescovered. It takes courage to move on in life as well.

It isn't so much as the act of suicide that's selfish as are/ is the reason(s) behind it.

Whatever the case may be, however, suicide will always been seen as "a cowards way out." You're basically running away from your problems - it's not like they'll disappear when you're gone, it'll remain for someone else to deal with. There's no exception to this. It's stupid to think that you're alone in this world - people who think that are selfish, narcissistic ********.

i don't/ won't pity anyone, nor would I be able to forgive anyone who commits suicide. It's the ultimate act of cowardice.

@}>- "When nothing makes sense, I'll fight believing in myself."
|| Gundam Haven || Doujinshi Support Club || Deviants || Final Fantasy X/-2 || FLIP ||

page 2 of 7 « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next » 148 total items

Back to General Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.