Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Is Suicide Selfish? - Minitokyo

Is Suicide Selfish?

page 3 of 7 « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next » 148 total items

Zero37

Genosis

Suicide... Selfish, usually. Most of the time it's just people trying to escape from what they see as the unbearable pain of living... Which I see as utterly... Pitiable. =\

There is no problem in your life that cannot be mended, no wound of the heart so severe that it cannot be healed, given time and a will to survive... So much better to spend your life making the lives of those around you a blessing than to take your life, and that possibility, away from them.

i personly think that suicide can be selfish in a different way, but there can be othner things on why other people want to die.... some want attention and some wants to see their loved ones that passed away in their lifetime and they want to see them so badly... but cant
it really upsets me when some of my friends brag about killing themselfs becouse life is so "unfair" to them and they are still living... (thank god) its like they just want attention to everybody to feel bad for them and i think suicide is a bad idea for attention.... instead on making your life better....
but also from all the stories that a copple of people that talked to me about it and tried it, they never said anything about suicide to anybody.... its verry sad to say, but i think it is selffish to take your life away....even when you can fix it better....

Those who commit suicide are nothing more than victims of circumstances and conditions brought by their own stupidity or by the actions of others.

To commit suiside is selfish by all ordeals.

i've always been taught that suicide is "a permanent end to a temporary problem". those who are thinking about it think that the would is over. it most of the time is not. it just like running away but without the packing. there are to many places and people to help in this world to even think about it . so me im against it. MAdlion

to me suicide is just another way to escape reality. suicide is selfish because you leave behind those closest to you. although you might not like what is happening around you, your friends and family still love you.

Prydey

Prydey

Once a Saint, Always a Saint...

Yes it is selfish, its the cowards way outta trouble u commit suicide leave ur loved ones behind, remember it anit about u when u die u cause other people sorrow if u really wanna kill urself, make sure u dont have any ppl close to u around...i would isolate myself then kill myself in anycase jus dont wanna harm others jus cus i cant take the problem...

Honour above all, except vengeance...

Signature

kawaiikiyomi

kawaiikiyomi

..*trust is for fools*..

i believe its really bad for your families and friends cuz they're the ones getting affected by your death. its really sad. :(

\"If you were\'nt afraid, you\'d be like Lorcan. He is\'nt afraid because he does\'nt love. To cause such pain you can\'t love or fear, but only crave\"

Rhonda21

Rhonda21

Crazy Spunky Lover

Even if you have really bad things going on with your life it doesn't mean you have to commit suicide. I think if you commit suicide you are weak because you are not strong enough to face life's hardships. one of my aunts and one of my uncles have both tried commiting suicide. My uncle is in the state hospital for this reason. my friend has tried to commit suicide two times ending up making her go to the state hospital two times. I admit i have thought about it once opon a time and even tries to do it but that was stupid of me.

Quote by Zero37Suicide... Selfish, usually. Most of the time it's just people trying
to escape from what they see as the unbearable pain of living... Which
I see as utterly... Pitiable. =\ There is no problem in your life that
cannot be mended, no wound of the heart so severe that it cannot be
healed, given time and a will to survive... So much better to spend
your life making the lives of those around you a blessing than to take
your life, and that possibility, away from them.

Well said. You may be unhappy, for whatever reason. You may even want to see your deceased loved ones, as someone else said. But how can you not be selfish if you choose to do something, knowing it will cause people around you to feel as much, if not more pain, than you feel personally while you are alive. It may be your choice, and no one else's, but no one is opressing you or taking away your freedom by begging you to stay alive and not leave them behind to mourn. Obviously, if you are suicidal, you know what pain is. Do you truly want others who care about you to feel that? If you need something to live for, remember that in living, you are saving those who care about you from the pain you feel now. Isn't that something worth living for?

Also, let's say that no one cares about you. That you are truly alone and wouldn't be missed at all if you were gone. Even if there's no one who cares about you, as long as you're alive, you will effect other people. And if you affect other people, there is a possiblity that your effec on them will be positive, if you choose for it to be. You might even find someone who will care about you, even if just a little. Even if you are nothing more than a variable in the world, unfortunate as that sounds, you can still contribute something by staying alive. You are still worth something. If you die, then you don't even have a chance to reach whatever potential you have. In death, you can only finalize your worthlessness.

I dont think its selfish in any way. Its your choice, but you would be leaving alot behind if you did decide to do it.

azndude88

azndude88

AznDude88

yea i do beleive that suicide would be selfish because your family would miss you and you friends as well and it is not fair to them

What Can Any One Do ?

Ok, my turn to throw in some two cents. People who commit suicide are often depressed, their veiws of reality, including those around them, are warped. Infact a lot of people who commit suicide actually believe that they'll be doing everyone else around them a favor by not being around anymore. And that isn't selfish, it most often isn't true, but in the mind of someone who is deeply depressed and down on themselves, it's pretty common to put other's feelings before your own, and use them as motivation to actually go through with the act.

Now, whether the issue was deemed selfish or not, suicide is not solely the person's responsibility. Of course, we all make mistakes, and not one of us can say that we havn't judged another, or made fun of someone before. Now to actually consider suicide, these things have to be brought to an extreme, ridicule everyday, loss all around you in your life, situations most of us could never understand. Personally I think it's ridiculous to simply say "they brought it on themselves," because more times then not suicide is a result of the people around you and those you interact with.

Now I'm not placing all the blame on people around the person that committed the act, but don't you think it deserves some consideration? Isn't it your family's job to comfort you, your friends' job to help you feel accepted, it's these people that make you want to live, and when there's so much lacking in your life, it's hard to see through the darkness and to what really matters. With no support you're left with few options when you're back into the emotional corner.

- If you could just close your eyes I'd help you pull the trigger...

jaszi5

jaszi5

~Art lover~

Suicide is suicide ...it happens... is it selfish? ...I'm not sure..
I didn't commit suicide because I thought if I did then my parents would blame themselves for not raising me right...Did I think it was selfish no...I wasn't thinking that...
I was feeling unloved...I was depressed and alone...that's what I was thinking...

Jaszi5

Jaszi5

nimiru

nimiru

*~ locked heart ~*

i know a few suicidal ppl and i don't even know why! i try to talk them out of it individually and it's really scary to do that especially when they're going to try to jump off something or try to kill themselves . . . it 's really scary . . . and i get so worried of them and at the same time . . . afraid of them . . . well ANYwayz! yes suicide is selfish . . . especially when they have sooooo many ppl who love them and they don't even care.

Signature
"Words aren't the only thing that let people know what you're thinking..." - Tifa Lockhart, FFVII

My two cents. I feel suicide is selfish for the simple reason of you leaving your non-funcitional body that will make a mess when it decompose. Who are you going to ask to clean up the mess but I guess that is non-issue for a person already dead.

We all are going to die eventually in one shape or other so unless accidents claim your life unexpectedly why leave this world in a hurry?

I consider anyone contemplating suicide as ill person and they need professional assistance. Even so, if your mental illness is so severe then nothing probably will prevent you from killing yourself. Last year an Asian author who became famous for writing book about Rape of Nanking committed suicide with a gun. She was well-off, had a husband who loved her, healthy child and job she enjoyed. She had everything a person would like to have in this world and yet, she still ended up killing herself.

All I can say is that I have issue with someone contemplating suicide. I personally feel it is wrong to cut your life short before your time.

SmiL3y

SmiL3y

scotty doesn't know xP

it really depends for me. if you're useless to society you can go suicide. if you arent and are just depressed about breaking up with a girl then it is selfish to kill yourself.

Signature
"One whos knows where to go is a cab driver. Pay him"
The answer to life, the universe, and everything is...42!

Eagle

Eagle

Full time sadomasochist

This is a hard topic to discuss. There are many opinions and possible avenues to discuss. I have a LOT to say on this topic, but i will spend forever presenting and explaining my views (not to mention answering pplz questions that come up after i've posted).

That said, i will only say this... It depends on a lot of factors.

I will leave it at that because this is a a question i have asked myself many times. That and suicide affects my life deeply.

I don't mind talking about it, so if you want to chatt, PM me. :P

byakuugan

byakuugan

ramen maniac

some other causes why people commit suicide is because they have reliquished their hope of living, they often contemplate of what's ahead of them instead of trying to find a way to solve their current situation

some possible reasons: inevitable debts, poor grades in their college career (trust me, i've seen many suicide cases regarding this)

Signature
Those who break the rules are called scum. But those who don't take care of their friends are even worse scum. -Kakashi

week ago, there was about two minutes when i really wanted to be dead. it was because i felt so bad..and i tried to cut myself...
suicide is selfish...coz when i wanted to die i thought that no-one loves me and i don't have any reason to live. i really didn't about people aroud me.

Signature Image

darkspiral486

darkspiral486

Carpe Annum

Suicide is selfish because the person commiting it has too shallow a scope to get the picture, and isn't strong enough to shoulder the burden of sorrow and care a little. No matter how much your life sucks, there will always be someone whose life sucks worse than yours, and how will suicide help anything? All you'll be is dead, with no turning back, and you'll ruin your family. I know if I committed suicide, my mom would think it was her fault for not seeing it or stopping it, and my dad would think it was his fault, and it would probably wreck their marraige. My sister would be devastated, and then get landed in the middle of my parent's divorce without even the courtesy of a good-bye letter. Maybe I'm being harsh, but anyone who gives a damn about anyone they know shouldn't try to kill themselves, simply because of how many other lives you'd ruin if you did.

Sorry if I offended anyone.

Eagle

Eagle

Full time sadomasochist

Quote by darkspiral486Suicide is selfish because the person commiting it has too shallow a
scope to get the picture, and isn't strong enough to shoulder the
burden of sorrow and care a little.

STOP THERE!

i've read enough

some people have given up on life. this isn't because of any hardship etc, it's that, to them, life has no meaning.

for example, if a baby dies, all their "achievements" in life don't matter because they're dead. they have no recollection etc. then, ig someone like einstein dies his "achievements" don't matter either because he's dead. he has no recollection etc. so in the end, life is pointless. etc etc etc.

There is a LOT more to it than that. this is a breif "sketch". that by itself is VERY poor justification, however, as i said, it barely scratches the surface.

what i'm trying to het at is that people don't just commit suicide due to sorrow or burdens, so it is, in my opinion, not right to generalise the matter in a "Yes"/"no" sort of way. that's why i said before, it depends on the situation.

another scenario is someone that is in a lot of pain that will die anyway. is it selfish to rid yourself of the pain when you're going to die anyway?

some may say yes, but what if you have no friends or family? THEN is it just to commit suicide?

there are a lot of scenarios...

nope it's not selfish.....it's very stupid! (" ,)

Eagle

Eagle

Full time sadomasochist

once again, it may be a logical choice if, for example, you're in excruciating pain and will die within a short time anyway.

for example, say you've taken a grenade to the gut. you have 3 minutes to live and you're obviously in a lot of pain...

darkspiral486

darkspiral486

Carpe Annum

Quote by Eagle

Quote by darkspiral486Suicide is selfish because the person commiting it
has too shallow a
scope to get the picture, and isn't strong enough to shoulder the
burden of sorrow and care a little.

STOP THERE!
i've read enough
some people have given up on life. this isn't because of any hardship
etc, it's that, to them, life has no meaning.
for example, if a baby dies, all their "achievements" in life don't
matter because they're dead. they have no recollection etc. then, ig
someone like einstein dies his "achievements" don't matter either
because he's dead. he has no recollection etc. so in the end, life is
pointless. etc etc etc. There is a LOT more to it than that. this is a
breif "sketch". that by itself is VERY poor justification, however, as
i said, it barely scratches the surface.
what i'm trying to het at is that people don't just commit suicide due
to sorrow or burdens, so it is, in my opinion, not right to generalise
the matter in a "Yes"/"no" sort of way. that's why i said before, it
depends on the situation.
another scenario is someone that is in a lot of pain that will die
anyway. is it selfish to rid yourself of the pain when you're going to
die anyway?
some may say yes, but what if you have no friends or family? THEN is it
just to commit suicide?
there are a lot of scenarios...

Good point, I was too harsh. My best friend's father killed himself for no apparent reason when my buddy was only 11, and it destroyed his family, so I'm a little passionate when it comes to that subject.

When I began discussing this thread, I pictured suicide as a man/woman ending their lives when they believe that life has become too tough for them. A hospitalized person who is in excrutiating agony and a terminal condition..... well, the line becomes pretty fuzzy there. I leave that up to the patient, and it's a case-by-case thing. As for a man with no family or friends, God have mercy on his soul. Maybe I'm just expecting too much, but there are few places in life where it is impossible to turn things around. I still think it would be wrong for him to take his own life away, no matter how hopeless it seems. Even if it looks like there's no light at the end of the tunnel, keep walking down it anyway, on the chance that you will see the light. If you start thinking that life can't get any worse, why would you kill yourself? That very brand of logic proclaims that life has to improve from that point!

Once again, my apologies to anyone I offended.

page 3 of 7 « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next » 148 total items

Back to General Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.